• Please log in to reply
1651 replies to this topic

#1641 cbfalcon

cbfalcon

FF Geek

• Members
  • 17,647 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 08:44 AM

Somehow I've gotten to the point of a single digit handicap and the occasional 70s round with a ridiculously flat backswing that resulted in a closed clubface at the top. Not only was I often getting stuck, but over the years I've learned to hold off the release as a way of dealing with said closed clubface.

I've now fixed my backswing to get the hands above that right shoulder, and the result is the clubface squares itself naturally. My swing speed is up and I feel free......but playing last Sunday, I couldn't stop holding off the release. It meant a wide open clubface and a slice the likes I haven't had since I was a golfer trying to break 100 each time out. I still managed an 89 on an easy course (Pecan Valley Hills), but it felt like I shot a 105.

So I've been working on the release all week. It feels like I'm back to basics.

I like steak

#1642 Filthy Fernadez

Filthy Fernadez

FF Geek

• Members
  • 20,422 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 02:33 PM

Somehow I've gotten to the point of a single digit handicap and the occasional 70s round with a ridiculously flat backswing that resulted in a closed clubface at the top. Not only was I often getting stuck, but over the years I've learned to hold off the release as a way of dealing with said closed clubface.

I've now fixed my backswing to get the hands above that right shoulder, and the result is the clubface squares itself naturally. My swing speed is up and I feel free......but playing last Sunday, I couldn't stop holding off the release. It meant a wide open clubface and a slice the likes I haven't had since I was a golfer trying to break 100 each time out. I still managed an 89 on an easy course (Pecan Valley Hills), but it felt like I shot a 105.

So I've been working on the release all week. It feels like I'm back to basics.

Check your head movement. Is it rotating open with the release? If so, try one of two things. At setup, tilt head slightly away from target or keep chin pointed at or behind ball at impact.

BBC for the most part is pretty damn good.

#1643 Filthy Fernadez

Filthy Fernadez

FF Geek

• Members
  • 20,422 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 02:38 PM

Shot 76 today (39 on front 3 bogeys 1 birdie 37 on back 1 double 1 birdie)...felt like it was best round of my life. Played each shot individually and managed mistakes when they arose. The double on back was failure to commit to 2nd shot, rushed and put myself in jail. Crushed my usual playing partner (who outdrives me by up to 40 yards) by 14.

#1644 DankNuggs

DankNuggs

FF Geek

• Members
  • 18,363 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 03:06 PM

I had one sub 80 round last year (78), two rounds at 80.... Before last year I broke 80 one time, and i shot a 72 (which included an awful double bogey. 5 birds, 3 bogeys and a double), slope of the course was 130, so not a cupcake track.

I am a ridiculously streaky player. My rounds are pretty much just made up of runs, how many and how long decide whether its a good day or a bad day. 

Have yet to play this year, but enter with an 8.6 HCP. Need some bad early rounds to give myself and teammate a chance in the early tournaments.  

Bruins > Habs

Spending cuts without any tax hike concessions are immoral

#1645 WhiteWonder

WhiteWonder

FF Geek

• Members
  • 24,324 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 03:20 PM

I had one sub 80 round last year (78), two rounds at 80.... Before last year I broke 80 one time, and i shot a 72 (which included an awful double bogey. 5 birds, 3 bogeys and a double), slope of the course was 130, so not a cupcake track.

I am a ridiculously streaky player. My rounds are pretty much just made up of runs, how many and how long decide whether its a good day or a bad day. 

Have yet to play this year, but enter with an 8.6 HCP. Need some bad early rounds to give myself and teammate a chance in the early tournaments.  

just aim left

Stuck in the process.....

#1646 WhiteWonder

WhiteWonder

FF Geek

• Members
  • 24,324 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 03:25 PM

got to the range yesterday. little cold and windy but perfectly bearable. Only the second time i've been able to hit balls with my new driver. Going to take a little while to get used to the shaft which is a bit more flexible of a stiff as opposed to the matrix ozik I was playing before. I really couldnt snap hook that driver if i tried but this one I hit 4 or 5 snaps yesterday. 

was hitting my irons straighter and longer (even with the wind) than I was to end last year when I was fighting an unintentional high fade-push. I always enjoy the first time you start hitting balls after a long layoff and the first few rounds you play when your swing thoughts are clear and fresh. If anything I had a little pull with the irons which I was happy about.

Stuck in the process.....

#1647 edjr

edjr

FF Geek

• Members
  • 117,076 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 12:39 PM

DJ had to chip a ball left handed today (he was up against a tree)  no problem, chipped it to 2 feet. Unreal.

#1648 edjr

edjr

FF Geek

• Members
  • 117,076 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 12:40 PM

Going to take a little while to get used to the shaft which is a bit more flexible of a stiff 

We all know you need no practice with a stiff shaft

#1649 Cruzer

Cruzer

FF Geek

• Members
  • 41,743 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 01:02 PM

Don't you hate it when you get called to the box - and find out they stuck a single with you? :thumbsdown:

https://instagram.com/p/Bgd5PR9BhMD/

#1650 Filthy Fernadez

Filthy Fernadez

FF Geek

• Members
  • 20,422 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 08:54 PM

Don't you hate it when you get called to the box - and find out they stuck a single with you? :thumbsdown:

https://instagram.com/p/Bgd5PR9BhMD/

I'd make that round drag out for 6 hours.  :wub:

#1651 listen2me 23

listen2me 23

FF Geek

• Members
  • 13,005 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 07:46 AM

Headed out in a few for my second round of the year. High 40s with a light breeze currently. It was 70 yesterday :rolleyes:

I would be happy to break 90 today

I got 18 in last night. 430 to 8. Was nice. Thought about giving it a try this morning, still not sure.

#1652 dain11279

dain11279

FF Geek

• Members
  • 11,581 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 03:29 PM

Somehow I ended up deleting my post from earlier for some odd reason. Ended up shooting 86. Hit it great but didnt make a putt over 4 feet :(

This thread is gayer than my dad.