Sign in to follow this  
mmmmm...beer

Speaking of news...

Is there any place a guy can read the real focking news? Not just propaganda pieces?

I tried BBC America, but they seem to run a lot of the same headlines as CNN.

• Like 1

I just want a middle of the road... here's the straight poop. Not leaning right or left. The poop scoop. Thats what I want.

I just want a middle of the road... here's the straight poop. Not leaning right or left. The poop scoop. Thats what I want.

I posted sites that post the truth. If that seems right leaning to you perhaps your sense of middle of the road is so skewed by 98% leaning left.

What type of news?

I like livescience, digg, arstechnica, gizmodo, jalopnik, etc. But to me news is breakthroughs in science, technology, medicine, cars, etc.

• Like 1

The stories about "Fake News" ARE fake news. HTH.

:shocking: :wall: :wall: :wall: :mad:

When you have to caviait your "news" as something for entertainment purposes, and you have 24 hours to fill, you come up with redic sh!t to be outraged at hourly.

CNN, FOX, MSNBC... all utterly unwatchable, unreadable garbage. Just report the sh!t that happened, I'll make up my own mind how I feel about sh!t. Fock your spin...

Wheres Cronkite?

I heard everything on Facebook is true. :dunno:

I get all my news from here. :bench:

And rightfully so. Wiff has all the facts.

Except for China news. He can't figure out what Volty is up to.

Pat bringing it this morning..

:lol: :lol:

Good stuff fella, good stuff.

It seems like everything comes with spin these days, sadly.

The mainstream media is compromised to such an extent that they don't even bother to hide their biases. For a long time I/we noticed their bias but I also recognized their professionalism and what I saw as legitimate attempts to try to do straight news straight. That's changed, it's a new-newsroom and the fringe took over.

I guess the best thing is to recognize the biases and spin of each individual content creator, recognize that and compartmentalize that, and get news from different reputable sources of various political persuasions.

It seems like everything comes with spin these days, sadly.

The mainstream media is compromised to such an extent that they don't even bother to hide their biases. For a long time I/we noticed their bias but I also recognized their professionalism and what I saw as legitimate attempts to try to do straight news straight. That's changed, it's a new-newsroom and the fringe took over.

I guess the best thing is to recognize the biases and spin of each individual content creator, recognize that and compartmentalize that, and get news from different reputable sources of various political persuasions.

Honestly, I think that you just need to read from different sources. I usually look at MSN/CNN and then look at the same story from Fox News (or vice-versa). If there is commonality, then I feel like I am getting the right story. If there is disagreement I use my own judgment. :dunno:

• Like 1

Except for China news. He can't figure out what Volty is up to.

You watch the Chinese news the same you watch CNN or Fox or whatever else. I don't think they're outright lying to me so much as I know this is the news they want me to see and this is the spin they want to put on it. CNN gives you the corporate left spin, Fox the Corporate right spin, CCTV gives you the Chinese government's take on it. You go online and find good commentators of the anti-establishment right and the anti-establishment left and you kind of figure it all out.

Honestly, I think that you just need to read from different sources. I usually look at MSN/CNN and then look at the same story from Fox News (or vice-versa). If there is commonality, then I feel like I am getting the right story. If there is disagreement I use my own judgment. :dunno:

You have to go online too. This way, you're limiting yourself to the corporate left and corporate right which are both establishment sources of different persuasions and there's another set of insights that you'd be well off considering.

I posted sites that post the truth. If that seems right leaning to you perhaps your sense of middle of the road is so skewed by 98% leaning left.

It's all about perspective.

You have to go online too. This way, you're limiting yourself to the corporate left and corporate right which are both establishment sources of different persuasions and there's another set of insights that you'd be well off considering.

I usually don't watch the news stations on TV. Too many stations trying to fill 24x7 slots with talking heads that are usually pretty empty. :dunno:

Same here.

You watch the Chinese news the same you watch CNN or Fox or whatever else. I don't think they're outright lying to me so much as I know this is the news they want me to see and this is the spin they want to put on it. CNN gives you the corporate left spin, Fox the Corporate right spin, CCTV gives you the Chinese government's take on it. You go online and find good commentators of the anti-establishment right and the anti-establishment left and you kind of figure it all out.

Do they mention the trade war on Chiner news? How about the Canadian sentenced to death? I wonder how much the simply leave out.

Do they mention the trade war on Chiner news? How about the Canadian sentenced to death? I wonder how much the simply leave out.

Exactly.

Omission is still censorship.

Well you can see for yourself in English what it's like; click on a link or three to get an idea.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/business/full_coverage/5abded05a3105cdcf6515650

It's not like they're making up facts. You're get the same facts from Chinese sources as you get from US ones, only with a pro-Beijing spin. They highlight this rather than that. My own interpretation of it is that they're playing down the differences and being safe so as not to offend President Trump.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about. I doubt you'll find anything objectionable. I don't. They're taking a reasonable approach laced with caution and optimism and no accusations or things to get angry about.

---

High-level trade talks with US to start

By Jing Shuiyu | China Daily | Updated: 2019-01-05 02:02

This year marks the 40th anniversary of the establishment of China-US diplomatic relations. Against that backdrop, analysts said it is hoped Beijing and Washington will deliver positive results in the planned talks to further allay global economic concerns. On Monday and Tuesday, US Deputy Trade Representative Jeffrey Gerrish will lead a delegation to Beijing to negotiate on trade issues, the ministry said.

According to the ministry, the two nations are expected to conduct constructive discussions on implementing the consensus reached by President Xi Jinping and his US counterpart, Donald Trump, on the sidelines of the G20 Leaders' Summit in Buenos Aires on Dec 1. The leaders agreed to refrain from imposing new tariffs and expressed the importance of advancing bilateral ties on the basis of cooperation.

Wei Jianguo, a former vice-minister of commerce, said resolving the trade disputes is an urgent task for both China and the US. "The two sides can achieve positive results through trade talks," he said.

Wei predicted key topics in the fresh round of talks next week would include trade imbalances and intellectual property protection.

He said China and the US can find proper solutions that would be conducive to global economic stability.

Diao Daming, associate professor at School of International Studies of Renmin University of China, said China-US relations have made tremendous progress over the past four decades. Diao said such decadeslong ties do not necessarily guarantee that there won't be new issues or disputes. But during the past 40 years, the two countries have found the key to their relations — that cooperation is the best choice for both sides.

Last year, China-US trade tensions were in the global spotlight for much of the year. The evolution of their economic and trade ties is expected to attract even more attention this year, as the world economy is predicted to continue weakening.

Yan Xuetong, director of the Institute of International Relations at Tsinghua University, said while competition between China and the US is intensifying, the global economy might take a downturn, opening up the possibility of a new economic crisis. However, the ever-fiercer Sino-US competition is not necessarily behind the downturn of the world economy, Yan told the magazine China Newsweek. "The two incidents just happened concurrently."

Yan said China and the US won't be locked into a new "cold war" — an argument that some experts have made.

Chen Qi, a senior research fellow at the Carnegie-Tsinghua Center for Global Policy, also opposed using the term "cold war" to depict current China-US disputes. He said China and the US, despite some headwinds, will still find a way to further the progress of their economic and trade relations.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/201901/05/WS5c2f9fcda31068606745efa8.html

This year marks the 40th anniversary of the establishment of China-US diplomatic relations. Against that backdrop, analysts said it is hoped Beijing and Washington will deliver positive results in the planned talks to further allay global economic concerns. On Monday and Tuesday, US Deputy Trade Representative Jeffrey Gerrish will lead a delegation to Beijing to negotiate on trade issues, the ministry said.

According to the ministry, the two nations are expected to conduct constructive discussions on implementing the consensus reached by President Xi Jinping and his US counterpart, Donald Trump, on the sidelines of the G20 Leaders' Summit in Buenos Aires on Dec 1. The leaders agreed to refrain from imposing new tariffs and expressed the importance of advancing bilateral ties on the basis of cooperation.

Wei Jianguo, a former vice-minister of commerce, said resolving the trade disputes is an urgent task for both China and the US. "The two sides can achieve positive results through trade talks," he said.

Wei predicted key topics in the fresh round of talks next week would include trade imbalances and intellectual property protection.

He said China and the US can find proper solutions that would be conducive to global economic stability.

Diao Daming, associate professor at School of International Studies of Renmin University of China, said China-US relations have made tremendous progress over the past four decades. Diao said such decadeslong ties do not necessarily guarantee that there won't be new issues or disputes. But during the past 40 years, the two countries have found the key to their relations — that cooperation is the best choice for both sides.

Last year, China-US trade tensions were in the global spotlight for much of the year. The evolution of their economic and trade ties is expected to attract even more attention this year, as the world economy is predicted to continue weakening.

Yan Xuetong, director of the Institute of International Relations at Tsinghua University, said while competition between China and the US is intensifying, the global economy might take a downturn, opening up the possibility of a new economic crisis. However, the ever-fiercer Sino-US competition is not necessarily behind the downturn of the world economy, Yan told the magazine China Newsweek. "The two incidents just happened concurrently."

Yan said China and the US won't be locked into a new "cold war" — an argument that some experts have made.

Chen Qi, a senior research fellow at the Carnegie-Tsinghua Center for Global Policy, also opposed using the term "cold war" to depict current China-US disputes. He said China and the US, despite some headwinds, will still find a way to further the progress of their economic and trade relations.China and the United States will hold vice-ministerial-level trade talks next week in Beijing, the first in-person talks since their top leaders agreed last month on a truce in a bid to work out their trade differences, China's Ministry of Commerce said on Friday.

Chen Qi, a senior research fellow at the Carnegie-Tsinghua Center for Global Policy, also opposed using the term "cold war" to depict current China-US disputes. He said China and the US, despite some headwinds, will still find a way to further the progress of their economic and trade relations.

Article on Forbes about the best news outlets:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/berlinschoolofcreativeleadership/2017/02/01/10-journalism-brands-where-you-will-find-real-facts-rather-than-alternative-facts/amp/

Many newspapers that have a left or right slant in their editorial sections deliver excellent hard news coverage. For all the whining about the New York Times, Wall Street Journal and Washington Post theyre all excellent newspapers. Cant go wrong with news wires like AP and Reuters too.

Please post a lie from their site.

imagine if the MSM did that kind of detailed fact filled investigative reporting

It would almost be like they were doing there job rather than being paid propaganda mouth pieces for the Democrats

Is there any place a guy can read the real focking news? Not just propaganda pieves?

I tried BBC America, but they seem to run a lot of the same headlines as CNN.

www.fivethirtyeight.com it does lean left but for the most part they just stick to the numbers.

Article on Forbes about the best news outlets:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/berlinschoolofcreativeleadership/2017/02/01/10-journalism-brands-where-you-will-find-real-facts-rather-than-alternative-facts/amp/

Many newspapers that have a left or right slant in their editorial sections deliver excellent hard news coverage. For all the whining about the New York Times, Wall Street Journal and Washington Post theyre all excellent newspapers. Cant go wrong with news wires like AP and Reuters too.

#1 NYT

:lol: