Sign in to follow this  
Djgb13

How much is "too much" to pay for a steak

Well I can tell you it's absolutely true for Costco because they put it right there on the label. Mainly so they can't get sued if you cook that steak to medium rare and then get E. coli. But they aren't required to do this -- again, it's just so they don't get sued and probably also due to consumer advocate groups

You didn't really answer the question. Just because Costco put "cook to 160" does that automatically mean it is blade tenderized? Or does all prime meat have a "cook to 160 degree" recommendation from the FDA?

Now if Costco puts "blade tenderized" on their label, then well that is all there is to that discussion.

You didn't really answer the question. Just because Costco put "cook to 160" does that automatically mean it is blade tenderized? Or does all prime meat have a "cook to 160 degree" recommendation from the FDA?

Now if Costco puts "blade tenderized" on their label, then well that is all there is to that discussion.

Costco puts "Blade Tenderized - Cook to 160" on their labels. I have seen it with my own eyes. Recently bought one of those steaks, actually, just to try it out. Would've been perfectly fine too except since I'm paranoid I did cook it to at least medium and then it was kind of dry.

Costco puts "Blade Tenderized - Cook to 160" on their labels. I have seen it with my own eyes. Recently bought one of those steaks, actually, just to try it out. Would've been perfectly fine too except since I'm paranoid I did cook it to at least medium and then it was kind of dry.

Blade tenderized and prime are two different variables. The simple fact that a cut of meat has been blade tenderized does not mean that it is not prime.

The steaks that are precut at Costco are not the good values, the good value lies in the whole slab of meat that you have to cut and package yourself. These are not blade tenderized.

The cook to 160 degrees does not mean that a piece of meat has been blade tenderized. The FDA requires that all meat that has been tenderized explicitly state that process on the label. If a piece of meat only has "cook to 160 degrees" than it has not been tenderized.

• Like 1

It’s my understanding that Wagyu means cows that were massaged and listened to classical music or some other complete scam. Spoiler alert, it’s the same meat that gets sent everywhere else. But when they put the label of wagyu on it, placebo tells you it’s some one in a lifetime experience. Sad so many fall for this.

I’m no expert, but I’m an expert as using common sense, so here’s how I’ll guess it’s done..farms kill cows and send the meat to food distribution companies like ConAgra or whatever. Those companies then sell it to restaurants etc. Sizzler orders steaks, here ya go. Morton’s or Ruth’s Chris order steaks, here ya go, the same steaks. You think these high end places have their own magic farms where the cows are different than other cows? A cow is a cow is a cow. Only difference is how it’s cooked and how much butter and salt they use.

Lol@ people thinking words like prime, premium, choice etc mean anything. They are just words. May as well say “super duper steak”. There’s no official, regulated, guarded by FBI agents and confirmed by 3 different police officers process that enforces that the steak was in fact made to “super duper” standards. Suckers.

this is from the usda.
Beef Grading Shields

U.S. grades are based on nationally uniform standards of quality developed by AMS. These standards promote uniformity and assurance of product quality on a continuous basis regardless of supplier. The official USDA grade shield indicates the product's quality level.

Grade shield files are available for download as .png files

Beef Grades

The USDA grade shields are highly regarded as symbols of high-quality American beef. Quality grades are widely used as a “language” within the beef industry, making business transactions easier and providing a vital link to support rural America.

Prime beef is produced from young, well-fed beef cattle. It has slightly abundant marbling (the amount of fat interspersed with lean meat), and is generally sold in upscale restaurants. View the marbling images for Moderately Abundant (jpg) and Slightly Abundant (jpg)

Choice beef is high quality, but has less marbling than Prime. It has at least a Small amount of marbling. View the marbling images for Moderate (jpg), Modest (jpg) and Small (jpg)

Select beef is very uniform in quality and normally leaner than the higher grades. It is fairly tender, but because it has less marbling, it may lack some of the juiciness and flavor of the higher grades. It has at least a Slight amount of marbling. View the marbling image for Slight (jpg).

Standard and Commercial – Standard and Commercial grades of beef are frequently sold as ungraded or as store brand meat. Utility, Cutter, and Canner grades of beef are seldom, if ever, sold at retail. Instead they are used to make ground beef and processed products.

USDA Certified Tender or Very Tender

USDA Certified Tender or Very Tender is a marketing program that aids consumers in making decisions on which beef cuts to purchase, and allows beef processors to market products as USDA Certified Tender or Very Tender. In order to become qualified to carry the Tender or Very Tender label, wholesalers or retailers are required to have certain beef muscles pass a slice shear force test that determines the tenderness of the muscle and associated muscles.

Process Control Certification Program

This program is intended to add value to processed, donated red meat commodities through audit based process control. One AMS agent per shift will be required to monitor the PCCP operations of the entire production facility. The PCCP emblem may be used in advertising and promotional literature for finished goods distributed to States or State school systems, as well as commercial products produced with AMS Verification.

Additional Quality Labels

Processed Verified Program

Built upon the ISO 9001 Quality Management Systems Standard, Process Verified Programs (PVP) involve a comprehensive quality management system review, which allow companies to market their products using the USDA PVP shield. The PVP allows companies to develop their own marketing claims, such as a feeding claim, or use an established standard such as Never Ever 3 (never ever given hormones, antibiotics, or animal byproducts).

Accepted as Specified

Most I've ever paid for a steak was $51 at Hollywood Prime in Hollywood, FL, in 2005. Still the best steak I've ever had, then again I don't think I've paid even $25 for a steak since.

The most expensive steak I've paid for was $85. I wouldn't say it was worth it but it was in my top 2 or 3 steaks all time.

I'll spend $65 or so on a steak at a good place once a year or so, I just wish it would come with a few sides though. Always a pain to agree on two or so with someone at the table. Hate that a la carte bullshit

• Like 1

Its my understanding that Wagyu means cows that were massaged and listened to classical music or some other complete scam. Spoiler alert, its the same meat that gets sent everywhere else. But when they put the label of wagyu on it, placebo tells you its some one in a lifetime experience. Sad so many fall for this.

Im no expert, but Im an expert as using common sense, so heres how Ill guess its done..farms kill cows and send the meat to food distribution companies like ConAgra or whatever. Those companies then sell it to restaurants etc. Sizzler orders steaks, here ya go. Mortons or Ruths Chris order steaks, here ya go, the same steaks. You think these high end places have their own magic farms where the cows are different than other cows? A cow is a cow is a cow. Only difference is how its cooked and how much butter and salt they use.

You're absolutely right. You're definitely NOT an expert.

If you ever have an opportunity to taste a high quality aged steak, you'll understand the difference.

• Like 1

I've posted this before... You don't have to spend a bunch of $$ to enjoy a good steak.. Chuck eye steaks, if done right, are as good as most non-prime ribeyes anywhere.

• Like 1

I like flank. I don't know where that fits in on the steak snob scale, and nor do I care. And I like it best at a Mexican restaurant. I'll take that over Mortons. And yes, I've been. One of my bigger wastes of money

• Like 1

Flank is a fine cut. I usually marinate them and make tacos with it.

• Like 1

Season flank steak with equal parts white sugar and Mortons seasoned salt. Cover and let the sugar and seasoned salt dissolve and create some liquid. About 30- 45 min.

Put on hot grill and cook to rare - rest to med rare. Slice against grain into thin slices and MNOOOOM MMMNOOOOM MNOOOMM.

The "charred" bits on the flank are the prize pickens?

Season flank steak with equal parts white sugar and Mortons seasoned salt. Cover and let the sugar and seasoned salt dissolve and create some liquid. About 30- 45 min.

Put on hot grill and cook to rare - rest to med rare. Slice against grain into thin slices and MNOOOOM MMMNOOOOM MNOOOMM.

Never tried mortons. Always used lowreys. Is there any difference?

Sounds delicioso----but might cook to Medium. I am not a huge fan of bloody steak.

with flank and skirt i usually cook to medium or mid well. i am typically slicing or dicing it vs eating it as a whole steak. texturally better cooked further for smaller pieces.

with flank and skirt i usually cook to medium or mid well. i am typically slicing or dicing it vs eating it as a whole steak. texturally better cooked further for smaller pieces.

I was thinking of trying it and cooking it to medium. Not really a rare or medium rare fan

I've paid maybe $50-60 for a steak. I'd never paid > 100 for a Wagyu or whatever. That being said, steak is one of the few things with a discernible taste difference that IMO merits more $$$; I pretty much only get it at a Flemings-level place and usually pay ~$40 for it. Scotch and whiskey are another. tanatastic is smoking dope if he thinks the steaks at Sizzler or Outback are the same. I've never had a good steak at Outback and have given up.trying -- if I'm ever with a group that unfortunately goes there, I get the ribs as someone else said.

In the past year or two my wife has perfected a reverse-sear method for good cuts of steak, including a chef-quality steel pan which gets hella hot (she in fact wears an old long-sleeve shirt of mine when doing it because she has burned herself from oil/grease jumping off of the pan). So like I said in the anniversary gift thread, we don't hit those steak places much if at all anymore because we'd rather spend the money on good wine and eat at home. Wine is another thing I'll add to the list of things worth paying (a little, not a lot) more for.

I've paid maybe $50-60 for a steak. I'd never paid > 100 for a Wagyu or whatever. That being said, steak is one of the few things with a discernible taste difference that IMO merits more $$$; I pretty much only get it at a Flemings-level place and usually pay ~$40 for it. Scotch and whiskey are another. tanatastic is smoking dope if he thinks the steaks at Sizzler or Outback are the same. I've never had a good steak at Outback and have given up.trying -- if I'm ever with a group that unfortunately goes there, I get the ribs as someone else said.

In the past year or two my wife has perfected a reverse-sear method for good cuts of steak, including a chef-quality steel pan which gets hella hot (she in fact wears an old long-sleeve shirt of mine when doing it because she has burned herself from oil/grease jumping off of the pan). So like I said in the anniversary gift thread, we don't hit those steak places much if at all anymore because we'd rather spend the money on good wine and eat at home. Wine is another thing I'll add to the list of things worth paying (a little, not a lot) more for.

Lobster tails, pork chop, or lamb are what I usually get

Lobster tails, pork chop, or lamb are what I usually get

Like KSB, I never get chicken out unless in a salad at lunch (like right now in fact). Chicken has very little taste IMO and isn't worth the restaurant markup for a dinner. Agree on lamb, also veal (had the other night). Sushi is a go-to, which somebody mentioned. Lobster I find really expensive out for the value so that is another one I usually eat at home; it isn't rocket surgery to cook it.

Pork chop is interesting because for as good of a cook as my wife is, she had a mental block on cooking those well. She finally figured out a method which I think includes brining (it's been a while). But yeah, that could make the rotation.

I've gone the other way on wine, particularly reds.

I usually drink a glass or two every night, and so many mid-high priced reds are underwhelming for the price.

A cheap chianti or table wine works fine for me these days.

Yeah the sides piss me off.

Bad enough I gotta drop sixty on a steak... you want me to pay twelve bucks for some focking asparagus and fifteen for some mashed potatoes too?? :thumbsdown:

Yeah, did this at Ruth's Chris in Vegas. :thumbsdown:

so.... boneless choice ribeye was just $13/lb. i got two 16oz (wife and daughter usually share 1). $26 for steak frites for 3 of us (plus the low cost of ingredients for sides and sauces, and my labor). very happy to do this weekly... more but we are cutting back on red meat. very affordable at home. i am ok with that $25- 40 range, and begrudgingly will go to $65 when the group pushes for steakhouse.