Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

UPDATE: Andre Johnson on his way out of Houston - Agrees with Colts

Per John McClain...

"Texans gave Andre Johnson permission to seek a trade. Told him he'd have a reduced role next season. He asked to be traded or cut instead. If no trade can't be worked out for Johnson, he'll be cut and free to sign with any team after 12 seasons with the Texans."

You got think teams like Seattle, Baltimore, New England and others would be willing to sign AJ.

Per John McClain...

"Texans gave Andre Johnson permission to seek a trade. Told him he'd have a reduced role next season. He asked to be traded or cut instead. If no trade can't be worked out for Johnson, he'll be cut and free to sign with any team after 12 seasons with the Texans."

You got think teams like Seattle, Baltimore, New England and others would be willing to sign AJ.

Indy, Green Bay (if Cobb leaves), San Diego, probably a few others. I think this is good for Johnson's career - another two years of solid production.

What does this mean for Hopkins? Im smelling a down year. No one on offense to take coverage away.

I put him at No.13 in way too early WR rankings. We'll see who the Texans acquire through the draft and free agency. They are certainly in the market for wideouts.

I understand Houston's position on this - but they are the ones who put themselves in this spot. They are also the one's who have given Johnson absolute dogshiat for qbs damn near his entire career.... Seattle, SF, NE - all great fits for him. But he's going to come with a $16m cap hit in 2015 - not exactly user friendly.

I understand Houston's position on this - but they are the ones who put themselves in this spot. They are also the one's who have given Johnson absolute dogshiat for qbs damn near his entire career.... Seattle, SF, NE - all great fits for him. But he's going to come with a $16m cap hit in 2015 - not exactly user friendly.

Nobody is gonna pay him close to that. Anywhere he plays it will be under a greatly reduced contract number.

There is an old Yiddish saying, referring to Fantasy Football Receivers who are going to be getting a pay cut due to the sun setting on their careers:

A shtikel mazel iz vert merer vi a ton old.

in other words,

A little bit of luck is better than a ton of old.

• Like 1

Nobody is gonna pay him close to that. Anywhere he plays it will be under a greatly reduced contract number.

That's kind of my point. And even further - I don't see AJ agreeing to lessen his deal, with anyone.

What does this mean for Hopkins? Im smelling a down year. No one on offense to take coverage away.

As a Texans fan I do not think this will really effect Hopkins . Foster was the primary weapon that the defenses focused on not AJ.

That's kind of my point. And even further - I don't see AJ agreeing to lessen his deal, with anyone.

That's fine if he doesn't want to take another snap in the NFL, because lessening his deal is the ONLY way he gets on the field again. It's up to him.

From the Houston Chronicle....

O'Brien told Johnson, the franchise's most accomplished offensive player, a man who has averaged 84 receptions per season, including a team-high 85 last year, that the Texans anticipated he would catch around 40 passes next season.

"I just laughed," Johnson told the Chronicle on Monday night. "They gave me my role, and I just laughed at them.

"How do you tell a guy who is used to catching 80 balls a year that he was going to catch 40?"

O'Brien told Johnson he wasn't even likely to be a starter next season, definitely not for all of the games.

"I was floored," Johnson said. "I don't feel like there is a guy on that team that can outplay me or outwork me. I mean, who am I going to play behind?

"So I was real honest with him: 'If that's your role for me, you're going to be dealing with a miserable football player.' "

That's fine if he doesn't want to take another snap in the NFL, because lessening his deal is the ONLY way he gets on the field again. It's up to him.

Houston isn't exactly cap strapped - but they would be on the hook for about $7.3m if they flat out released him. I'm not sure they'd be willing to play this bluff all the way out and cut him - that's a hell of a lot of dead money to have on the books. Especially for somebody who can still play at a pretty high level.

Per John McClain...

Yes I think there are a few teams out there that would like to pick him up no question . Dolphins could be another and maybe even the Colts and the Raiders , even the Rams , Vikings , Panthers , , Eagles all of them plus the ones you already posted .

Houston isn't exactly cap strapped - but they would be on the hook for about $7.3m if they flat out released him. I'm not sure they'd be willing to play this bluff all the way out and cut him - that's a hell of a lot of dead money to have on the books. Especially for somebody who can still play at a pretty high level.

16 million is a LOT for a 40 catch guy. Plus about 14.6 million next year, which would be completely cleared if they release him before June 1st.

Yes I think there are a few teams out there that would like to pick him up no question . Dolphins could be another and maybe even the Colts and the Raiders...

Oakland has finished dead last, or next to last, in the Division for the last 12 seasons in a row. Adding a 34 year old wr, with an outrageous contract, does your team zero good. It would be a moronic move - then again, it is the Raiders.

16 million is a LOT for a 40 catch guy. Plus about 14.6 million next year, which would be completely cleared if they release him before June 1st.

No doubt, agreed. The question (for Houston) is how they feel about eating $7m in dead money this year to get those savings?

No one will *trade* for him, at his age and salary. So, he'll be released. Then, AJ can go to whoever he wants. His stats are border-line HOF-worthy. Which is why *I* think he'll go to play for a contender, to round out his resume and get a ring.

• Like 1

he'll push to get cut. it might get nasty, which sucks because he's been a class act in HOU. then he'll take less money to go to SEA or NE, maybe NO.

he'll push to get cut. it might get nasty, which sucks because he's been a class act in HOU. then he'll take less money to go to SEA or NE, maybe NO.

In other words, to a team with an actual, bona fide quarterback. How sweet would that be?

I really hope that it happens for him. He's definitely earned it - and I would love to watch the result of such a pairing.

Per John McClain...

This is the same guy you was not sure he wanted to stay with the Texans last year during the off season . Good move for the Texans time to move on .

he want to head to new england and catch passes from the greatest

Bill?

From the Houston Chronicle....

O'Brien told Johnson, the franchise's most accomplished offensive player, a man who has averaged 84 receptions per season, including a team-high 85 last year, that the Texans anticipated he would catch around 40 passes next season.

"I just laughed," Johnson told the Chronicle on Monday night. "They gave me my role, and I just laughed at them.

"How do you tell a guy who is used to catching 80 balls a year that he was going to catch 40?"

O'Brien told Johnson he wasn't even likely to be a starter next season, definitely not for all of the games.

"I was floored," Johnson said. "I don't feel like there is a guy on that team that can outplay me or outwork me. I mean, who am I going to play behind?

"So I was real honest with him: 'If that's your role for me, you're going to be dealing with a miserable football player.' "

Odd move by Houston, not sure what the play is here. Are they hoping he'll just retire or something? :huh:

he want to head to new england and catch passes from the greatest

Sources say Andre hates cheaters.

• Like 1

Looks like it might be happening:

Report: Texans to cut Andre Johnson on Monday

by Larry Hartstein | CBSSports.com

(11:16 am ET) The Texans will cut the franchise's most accomplished offensive player, wideout Andre Johnson, on Monday, reports NBC4 in Washington. Johnson, 33, has two years and $21.5 million left on his contract, making it difficult to trade him.

Johnson has been unhappy with the team's direction. Recently he said coach Bill O'Brien told him he'd have a reduced role in 2015.

While Johnson is not the star he once was, he can still be highly productive. Last season he caught 85 passes for 936 yards and three touchdowns. Look for a slew of teams to make a play for him.

Hearing rumors that Johnson is heading to Indianapolis today. That would be a nice top three receiving corps, Andre Johnson, T.Y. Hilton and Donte Moncrief.

Hearing rumors that Johnson is heading to Indianapolis today. That would be a nice top three receiving corps, Andre Johnson, T.Y. Hilton and Donte Moncrief.

Combine that with the Pats possibly losing Revis and Bolden and things get interesting.

As an AJ owner that would make me incredibly happy

Here is what I just wrote in our News item...

"The deal is reportedly worth $21 million over three years. The Colts will now sport a wide receiving corps of Johnson, T.Y. Hilton and Donte Moncrief. The Colts are a pass-first offense but like to spread the ball around, especially the goaline. Johnson hasn't been a TD-machine the last four years but is a good bet to improve upon his 85-936-3 line from last season. He's in the WR2 discussion."

He hasn't been a TD machine EVER. His career bests are 9, 8, 8, 8 and 6.

He's got 1 more TD than Greg Jennings, for god's sake.

He's a yards guy. Dude can easily top 100 yards a game with Luck throwing to him. Def a great wr2 option

Great move for the Colts and Johnson