Sign in to follow this  
bob_probert_2000

Expectations at a golf outing

Several weeks back, a close friend/former realtor's daughter was diagnosed with leukemia.

He and his wife being "self-employed", I know he is going to encounter some aweful co-pays. We can't help her get better, but I am hoping that we can put together some $ to assist in the financial side of things.

So- when at a golf outing, what things do you expect, what things do you enjoy, and what things do you dislike when attending one?

The following things are musts IMO, but I want you to critique and and add ideas.

1. "Goodie" bag for all(balls, tees and markers, etc.)

2. Outing t-shirt? Maybe collared shirt.

3. Longest drive, longest putt, closest to pin prizes

4. After golf meal, drinks during the day.

5. Door prizes

6. 1st 2nd 3rd place prizes

Considering:

1. Mulligans

2. 50/50 raffle

3. Silent auction items?

PLease expand. Thanks.

Several weeks back, a close friend/former realtor's daughter was diagnosed with leukemia.

He and his wife being "self-employed", I know he is going to encounter some aweful co-pays. We can't help her get better, but I am hoping that we can put together some $ to assist in the financial side of things.

So- when at a golf outing, what things do you expect, what things do you enjoy, and what things do you dislike when attending one?

The following things are musts IMO, but I want you to critique and and add ideas.

5. Door prizes

Considering:

1. Mulligans

2. 50/50 raffle

3. Silent auction items?

PLease expand. Thanks.

I run an alumni golf tournament for my fraternity every year.

You basically hit the nail on the head. If you do a scramble, I would recommend hiring refs to patrol and watch for cheating. Oh, and do the ABCD golfer thing.

5. Door prizes

Considering:

1. Mulligans

2. 50/50 raffle

3. Silent auction items?

PLease expand. Thanks.

Skip the goodie bag. People just toss this crappy shwag anyway. Silent auction: meh.

Everything else is good. Also, consider making it a best ball scramble type thing, that way even crappy golfers can play. More golfers=more money raised.

:rolleyes:

I run an alumni golf tournament for my fraternity every year.

You basically hit the nail on the head. If you do a scramble, I would recommend hiring refs to patrol and watch for cheating. Oh, and do the ABCD golfer thing.

Second on the cheating. Shame some fockers cant be counted on to post true scores.

Also, DO NOT FORGET THE HOT BEER GIRLS. a must for any golf tourney.

Kudo's to you for helping out your friends daughter! :banana: :rolleyes:

Last one I went on had a packet of 4 business like cards in it that you could buy for $10.

Cards were good for:

1. Mulligan

2. A throw from the end of a shot (doesn't count as a shot)

3. A kick from the end of a shot (doesn't count as a shot)

4. Skirt card (men tee off from women's tee, women from jr's tee)

Probie,

If you chose to do a goodie bag let me know I can give you some goodies from work.

Our kids' school does a fundraising tourney/auction every year. Most of the money comes from the auction, but it is a ton of work.

For sure do things like mulligans, putting contests, closest to pin contests, etc. They all raise extra $$$.

Also the scramble which others suggested.

Also talk to companies about sponsoring holes, teams, etc. Put up ads for them at the holes, etc. More $$$, typically much more than from individuals.

Which reminds me, you might need to set up a 501c3. Dolfan or Fricker would know more prolly.

GL

Probie,

If you chose to do a goodie bag let me know I can give you some goodies from work.

All would be welcomed, for sure. What kinda stuff? :banana:

also we will have up to 72 golfers. :rolleyes:

Yup, just as a few others have mentioned, try to get businsess to sponsor holes. And sell the cheats (see beercats's post). Anybody trying to win will buy the cheats. This should help you raise more $$. Good job by the way! :rolleyes:

1st person to get the hot cart girls phone number

I win every time :(

50/50 Raffle and Silent Auction are good calls, too.

50/50 is very easy and little set-up needed. By some tickets and pick someone to go around selling.

Silent Auction might well get more people to your event b/c family members of the golfers, who might not otherwise come, may show up and participate in that part of it.

It takes more to set up (send letters to businesses who might donate items for it, pricing, setting up items for display and bidding, coordinating the giving of warnings about when tables will close during the event etc.). It depends on how much more work you want to give yourself and the tother organziers.

Another idea - sell a 10 foot piece of string - the players can use that piece of string in any increment they want to move the ball closer to the hole. Example: You're four feet from the cup, it's a tough putt, your first 3 players missed it, you use four feet of the string to move the ball right next to the hole and tap it in.

Am I the only one who expects free beer? I could care less about the handouts. Give me a keg every 3-4 holes, and a beer cart driving around with free beers.

Hold' em Tournament.

We do it. It's fun, chance to win some $$$. If it is for charity, take out 10-20 % for cause.

Am I the only one who expects free beer? I could care less about the handouts. Give me a keg every 3-4 holes, and a beer cart driving around with free beers.

Agree.

Handouts are tossed away.

Get some corporate sponsorships to really raise money.

The other ideas given here are very good.

I would expect to drink a lot, beat up a caddy, and have sex with the 17th hole.

I would expect to drink a lot, beat up a caddy, and have sex with the 17th hole flagstick.

:shocking:

I want to watch. While rubbing one out with a slice of pizza.

All would be welcomed, for sure. What kinda stuff? :banana:

also we will have up to 72 golfers. :shocking:

I could swing sleeves of golf balls, tees, and a couple of nice windshirts. Give me an email address and I can send you some pics.

ON a slice of pizza, not WITH a slice of pizza :shocking:

I guess that is your topping tonight.

I guess that is your topping tonight.

Nope..Tonight is Tri-Tip night. When it is almost ready, I'll wipe my ass and smear it all over the tasty meat.

I could swing sleeves of golf balls, tees, and a couple of nice windshirts. Give me an email address and I can send you some pics.

bob_probert_2000@yahoo.com

:D

wait you mean of GOLF crap :pointstosky:

Probie,

We always have a $5000 hole in one contest. One of my buddies in the insurance business charges 280 bucks to cover it. In 12 years it's never been won.

Also, we have a "Beat the Wife" hole, the organisers wife hangs out at one of the par 3's all day, she plays against each foursome as they come through. Whoever is closer to the pin than her gets ome craptastic prize. (Golf balls and such).

HTH. :mad:

Some general thoughts:

- Make sure that the people know why they are there. All of the raffles, handouts, and presentations should have the charity in mind

- Handouts (balls, shirts, travel mugs, tees, etc.) are a good idea

- Free booze is a BAD idea. In addition to the liability problems, you are missing out on a money making opportunity. Most courses will not allow open bar on the course

- Remember that this is golf. Kicking the ball, throwing the ball, unlimited Mulligans, etc. are a bad idea.

- Raffles are a great idea. It keeps people around for the entire event.

- Get sponsors and local businesses to throw in items for the raffle and to sponsor holes

- Find a local car dealer to sponsor a hole-in-one for a car. They get insurance for a few hundred bucks, and they can put a couple of their cars on display on the course.

- Get a local supermarket to sponsor water and Gatorade on the course for the players. Put them on a few holes on the course and allow them to sponsor the cooler that the items are stored in.

There may be more.

Some general thoughts:

- Free booze is a BAD idea.

:o Free booze is NEVER a bad idea.

:lol: Free booze is NEVER a bad idea.

As an admitted alcoholic, I would agree as an attendee. As someone who would be running the event, I disagree. This is not a Toga party. This is a charity event.

I would say that free booze for this event would be akin to getting strippers as caddies. Great idea when you are hanging out with the guys in college, but bad idea when you are trying to raise money for a kid in need.

Some general thoughts:

- Make sure that the people know why they are there. (FREE BEER) All of the raffles, handouts, and presentations should have the charity in mind

- Handouts (balls, shirts, travel mugs, tees, etc.) are a good idea :lol:

- Free booze is a BAD idea. In addition to the liability problems, you are missing out on a money making opportunity. Most courses will not allow open bar on the course. Is it possible to play golf without drinking?

- Remember that this is golf. Kicking the ball, throwing the ball, unlimited Mulligans, etc. are a bad idea. Not if you suck at golf.

- Raffles are a great idea. It keeps people around for the entire event. :banana:

- Get sponsors and local businesses to throw in items (ex. beer, hookers) for the raffle and to sponsor holes

- Find a local car dealer to sponsor a hole-in-one for a car. They get insurance for a few hundred bucks, and they can put a couple of their cars on display on the course. Will I be respondsible for damage if I hit the car with my tee shot?

- Get a local supermarket to sponsor water and Gatorade on the course for the players. Put them on a few holes on the course and allow them to sponsor the cooler that the items are stored in. Why do you need water and Gatorade when there's FREE BEER?

There may be more.

- Remember that this is golf. Kicking the ball, throwing the ball, unlimited Mulligans, etc. are a bad idea.

I agree with all that you stated except for this. Sure this is a golf tournament, but the reason they are there is to raise $$. And people buy up cheats like they are going out of style and they cost absolutely nothing on the front end. You can't give out unlimited mulligans or nothing crazy like that, but a thought out set of cheats will help the effort.

I agree with all that you stated except for this. Sure this is a golf tournament, but the reason they are there is to raise $$. And people buy up cheats like they are going out of style and they cost absolutly nothing on the front end. You can't give out unlimited mulligans or nothing crazy like that, but a thought out set of cheats will help the effort.

You are missing the most important part here. Bad golfers spend less money than good golfers. Good golfers are not going to want to play in a tournament where you have people throwing the ball, kicking the ball, etc. It is bad enough if you give each team possibly 4 mulligans. Hell, you are playing a Scramble for goodness sake.

I have played in many charity tournaments and I would not go back to a tournament that had people kicking the ball or throwing the ball as part of the tournament. There are plenty of other ways to spend the money without making a complete joke of the 5 hours that you are on the course.

You are missing the most important part here. Bad golfers spend less money than good golfers. Good golfers are not going to want to play in a tournament where you have people throwing the ball, kicking the ball, etc. It is bad enough if you give each team possibly 4 mulligans. Hell, you are playing a Scramble for goodness sake.

I have played in many charity tournaments and I would not go back to a tournament that had people kicking the ball or throwing the ball as part of the tournament. There are plenty of other ways to spend the money without making a complete joke of the 5 hours that you are on the course.

Hi. Sub 5 handicap here, used to be a 0, worked as an assistant pro too. I think I qualify as a "good" golfer.

If you're giving out mulligans and doing the string thing, I see absolutely no difference between that and a throw/kick. To top it all off, you do realize we're talking about a scramble here, right? This ain't the US Open, and the good golfers will realize that and have a good time regardless. If you wouldn't go back to a tournament that had mulligans because they had a throw allowed, methinks you're not really a "good" golfer and more of a "snob" golfer - there's a big difference. Good golfers can have fun supporting a charity while getting to play golf too. Nothing about a scramble resembles real golf anyway - who cares about a throw or two?

* it's a sramble - anybody who's played in one understands the round is about a "cause", not for green jackets. if you can't have a laid back, fun time playing for a great cause than you've got problems.

* free booze and drinks is a must - no doubt you can get a local distributor to help you out.

* all ideas about raffles are fantastic too - again, people should be willing to donate tons of stuff for this little girl.

* people cheat in scrambles, no way around it. course "police officers" is a ridiculous idea - what you do is sell mulligans and strings. like i said, folks are going to cheat anyways - this is a a great way to raise money out of it.