Sign in to follow this  
BMoney

Yankees acquire Booby Abreu

tentative deal reached...according to espn...

soooooo...do the phils get philip hughes?....

whos being dealt? :D

as long as the tigers did not get the useless piece of sh!t im fine.

Shefeild will be whining shortly.

little HGH will calm him

Shefeild will be whining shortly.

will be? shesh...

he ALWAYS does..somehow avoiding the steroid scandal and still being a puzzy...

plays alongside one of the classiest guys in the game(bernie williams) and well, bernies class never rubbed off on gary...

the yanks get

of-abreu

sp-cory lidle

for

ss-cj henry

p-matt smith and

a minor leaguer..

C.J. Henry

Individual Batting Stats

Team League Level Pos AVG G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB K SB CS OBP SLG OPS SH SF IBB GIDP HBP

Charleston RiverDogs SAL Low A SS .237 76 274 35 65 19 3 2 33 32 86 14 3 .326 .350 .676 1 2 0 10 5

cj was the 2005 1st pick by the yanks..rated by baseball america as the yanks 4th best prospect and best athlete in the minors..

Matt Smith

Individual Pitching Stats

Team League Level W L ERA G GS SV IP H R ER HR BB K HBP AVG TPA BK WP STR%

Columbus Clippers IL AAA 0 1 2.13 23 0 0 25.1 26 9 6 3 7 21 1 .265 107 0 1 .500

Abreu and Lidle get dumped for prospects. As nice as it is to dump Abreu's salary and attitude issues, you give up an allstar and a legitimate starting pitcher for...prospects. A shortshop, a reliever, and a yet to be named prospect. Jimmy Rollins is at shortstop, so that doesn't make much sense. Not only didn't they get a starting pitcher in the deal, but they gave up one?

will be? shesh...

he ALWAYS does..somehow avoiding the steroid scandal and still being a puzzy...

plays alongside one of the classiest guys in the game(bernie williams) and well, bernies class never rubbed off on gary...

Gary was the guy in high school that knew he was good and wanted everyone else to know and whined when things did not go his way. Nothing has changed and no amount of classy teamates will change it.

I like this deal for the Yankees. They stuck to not dealing Phillip Hughes or their other top prospect. Abreu will help their lineup and Lidle is a back of the rotation pitcher at worst. He's definately an upgrade over Jaret Wright and Sidney Ponson. :blink:

With Randy Wolf back, the Phils feel comfortable dealing Lidle...especially since it appears that Myers and Hamels will be an effective 1-2 punch in the future. Does this mean that the Phils might begin to put Pat Burrell in the line-up? He has the easiest paycheck in Philly! He plays every other day and still has 20+ HR's.

With Randy Wolf back, the Phils feel comfortable dealing Lidle...especially since it appears that Myers and Hamels will be an effective 1-2 punch in the future. Does this mean that the Phils might begin to put Pat Burrell in the line-up? He has the easiest paycheck in Philly! He plays every other day and still has 20+ HR's.

I would like to get pat the bat in detroit.

I'm watching the Marlins/Phillies game and Rollins is in the dugout with shaving cream on Abreu's face getting ready to shave the Pork Chop sideburns. Abreu isn't playing or wearing a Phillies jersey.

From a pure baseball perspective obviously this puts the Yankees back near "full strength" I like getting Lidle, as said above, he at least gets one of Wrigth or Ponson out of the rotation and should give the soon to be potent again lineup a chance to stay in the game. I honestly didn't think the Yankees needed Abreu. Cabrera has filled in nicely, and Aron Guiel has been a decent platoon with Bernie. Matsui seems ahead of schedule, and Cano will be back soon. Bats wouldn't be the reason this team didn't make the playoffs IMO. I guess good enough is never good enough in NY or Boston though. They have to measure themselves against the best, which usually starts with each other. Lidle deepens the staff, and Abreu helps restore the depth of the lineup. He also fits well into the "Yankee way" of patient approach, he is consistently among the leaders in OBP.

Not giving up Hughes is huge IMO, when I heard about the deal for Abreu AND Lidle for prospects, I thought for sure Hughes was a part of it. Kudos to Cashman for standing pat.

Of course the cries of adding MORE payroll and buying their way to the playoffs will start in 3...2...1....

The Yankees have issued a press release saying that they've acquired Abreu and Lidle for 4 minor league prospects. They didn't say which ones, but I guarantee you it's neither of the 2 big ones. :lol:

Is this confirmed? I heard the Red Sox were in the mix.

Regardless, the Yanks and to a lesser extent the Red Sox serve a useful purpose in MLB. Since they will always take overpriced vets, other teams are willing to sign such vets to big deals, knowing that if the time comes to dump them, they need only place a call...

"Yankees acquire Booby Abreu"

Are they forcing him to change his name to Booby as part of the deal? :D

He's definately an upgrade over Sidney Ponson.

What?????

:D

The yanks are a bunch of boobs for taking him on.

Lidle is one less starter that the Red Sox can obtain, which, IMO, is their only need.

Good because I don't want that POS in the rotation. Would rather take my chances with Clement or Wells.

"Yankees acquire Booby Abreu"

Are they forcing him to change his name to Booby as part of the deal? :lol:

i was just wondering if booby was still allowed to be said here... guess so :pointstosky:

With Randy Wolf back, the Phils feel comfortable dealing Lidle...especially since it appears that Myers and Hamels will be an effective 1-2 punch in the future.

ask the mrs..myers will definitely deliver a punch...

in the face...

pow :first:

i was just wondering if booby was still allowed to be said here... guess so :pointstosky:

ask the mrs..myers will definitely deliver a punch...

in the face...

pow :first:

As long as he isn't taking steroids, no one will mind the wife beatings.

:lol:

Abreu and Lidle get dumped for prospects. As nice as it is to dump Abreu's salary and attitude issues, you give up an allstar and a legitimate starting pitcher for...prospects. A shortshop, a reliever, and a yet to be named prospect. Jimmy Rollins is at shortstop, so that doesn't make much sense. Not only didn't they get a starting pitcher in the deal, but they gave up one?

I think this was merely a salary dump with an eye toward acquiring prospects for future deals. The Phils obviously are going nowhere this year, and as badly as they need starting pitching, they need a veteran presence in the dugout even worse. Again, that guy isn't going to help this year, so might as well cut payroll and load up on youngsters to offer in the off season.

I think that this is a great trade for the Yanks. They get some depth in the rotation (while taking away a possible landing spot for the Red Sox) and get some help in a corner outfield spot (which is a huge deficit for the Yanks). For that, the Yanks do not have to give up a one of their big young guys (Hughes). Money means nothing to the Yanks, so the salary is a non-issue.

it amazes me that everyone has annointed Philip Hughes as the next Clemens, when in all actuality he is an above average pitcher that is tearing it up in A ball...he just happens to be a prospect that the Yankees have not traded right away for some old worn out piece of sh1t arm that they sign for 10 million per.

its one thing to love the Yankees, but "take it easy Francis." This guy not getting dealt isnt saving the franchise or anything. ;)

it amazes me that everyone has annointed Philip Hughes as the next Clemens, when in all actuality he is an above average pitcher that is tearing it up in A ball...he just happens to be a prospect that the Yankees have not traded right away for some old worn out piece of sh1t arm that they sign for 10 million per.

its one thing to love the Yankees, but "take it easy Francis." This guy not getting dealt isnt saving the franchise or anything. ;)

all ive ever seen of Hughes was this years Futures Game when he almost took a comebacker off of the noggin..a Charlie Brown liner ;)

they are probably saving Hughes for the Soriano deal :thumbsup:

The Phillies are probably my favorite team in baseball. They sign a couple big names in the off-season to overpriced contracts to sucker the dumbass locals into buying tix and then when July rolls around (and Philly is out of the race) they have to trade their best players so they don't end up in the red.

GB Philly.

;) :thumbsup:

The evil empire trying to buy another one. :clap:

Damn, isnt focking baseball over yet? B)

Im so ready for some football. :first:

The Phillies are probably my favorite team in baseball. They sign a couple big names in the off-season to overpriced contracts to sucker the dumbass locals into buying tix and then when July rolls around (and Philly is out of the race) they have to trade their best players so they don't end up in the red.

GB Philly.

:thumbsup: :mad:

You must be referring to Thome, whom they signed many moons ago. And true, that was to get people to buy tix to the new park. And Thome, when he wasn't injured, did well for the team.

Abreu was nothing but a salary dump. Gillick is in "rebuild" mode". Guess it had to happen, given the craptastic moves by the previous management.

:thumbsdown: Yankees Right Field currently costs $29 million :banana:

$16 mil Abreu/$13 mil Sheffield

Hey, it could be worse.

Because of his television contract, Steinbrenner rakes in boatloads of money.

The guy wants to win, so he he tries to put a great product on the field every year instead of putting it into his pocket.

Their moves aren't always the right ones, but if your a Yankees' fan, you should be proud of the the ownership/management.

I think the same can be said for teams like the Mets and Red Sox.

Good because I don't want that POS in the rotation. Would rather take my chances with Clement or Wells.

ROFL

If this read, Red Sox acquire Lidle from Phillies for cash.

This would be your post.

Good move for the Red Sox, now we can take Wells or Clement out of the rotation.

ROFL

If this read, Red Sox acquire Lidle from Phillies for cash.

This would be your post.

:cheers:

He's just protecting his boy Theo.

Theo dropped the ball and didn't aquire another pitcher and now we're stuck with Clement. :banana:

Phils continue to unload large contracts, deal Cormier to Reds.

Yup.

They'll sign Barry Zito and Alfonso Soriano in the off season. :thumbsup:

Yup.

They'll sign Barry Zito and Alfonso Soriano in the off season. :banana:

As if that will make a difference. :lol: