Sign in to follow this  
MDC

Bratty kids - what do you do with them?

7 years old and you absolutely cannot tell this kid ANYthing without her throwing a temper tantrum that usually starts off with "nobody loves me!" :lol: and getting all fresh.

Am I wrong to suggest mandatory doses of Tylenol PM right after dinner and periodic beatings? :pointstosky:

Ah, I see you have moved onto this phase in your relationship with the girl and her kid. Sucks eh? Second thoughts coming? If not, they will......

What you wanna do is when they start crying, you start crying too. It trips them out and they shut up with a confused look on their face

7 years old and you absolutely cannot tell this kid ANYthing without her throwing a temper tantrum that usually starts off with "nobody loves me!" ;) and getting all fresh.

Am I wrong to suggest mandatory doses of Tylenol PM right after dinner and periodic beatings? ;)

99 out of 100 times it is the parents fault the little dooshes act that way.

you can't teach an old kid new tricks, unless you want to end up in jail.

PUSSIFICATION OF AMERICA CONTINUES! :banana:

99 out of 100 times it is the parents fault the little dooshes act that way.

you can't teach an old kid new tricks, unless you want to end up in jail.

PUSSIFICATION OF AMERICA CONTINUES! :banana:

Spoken like a man with no kids! ;)

As infants, if you shake 'em now and then, they get the picture! ;)

Ah, I see you have moved onto this phase in your relationship with the girl and her kid. Sucks eh? Second thoughts coming? If not, they will......

Is 7 y/o too late to have an effect on a kid? :dunno:

7 years old and you absolutely cannot tell this kid ANYthing without her throwing a temper tantrum that usually starts off with "nobody loves me!" :D and getting all fresh.

Am I wrong to suggest mandatory doses of Tylenol PM right after dinner and periodic beatings? :D

If it's not your kid........sit down & have a VERY IMPORTANT talk with the mother regarding "Being on the same page" as far as raising the kid. Set a firm set of guidlines for moving forward & stick to them. You will know soon enough if she intends to rectify the situation. If she doesn't........back off....you will only loose. At that point you need to decide if you want to continue with the relationship and act as a background partner as far as the kid is concerned....or bail. Been there.....blended families are difficult & have a high failure rate.

Best of luck :dunno:

beat the shiot out of them? :dunno:

7 years old and you absolutely cannot tell this kid ANYthing without her throwing a temper tantrum that usually starts off with "nobody loves me!" :banana: and getting all fresh.

we watch them grow up to be you :dunno:

First of all, you need to define "bratty" a little better. Is the main problem that the child doesn't accept directives from you....your girlfriend......both......all adults? If you can define who she is not responding to appropriately, that would help....

Whatever the case, though, there are a number of things you can do with a child who is willfully disobedient. If you can answer my first question, I would be happy to give you some ideas.

My son just turned two and I already see a pattern developing. He listens to me better than he listens to his mother. I talked to some other dads andits pretty common that the dads are a little better at keeping the children disciplined. Moms tend to give in more. If I tell my son no he knows i mean it and no amount of crying will change it. With my wife he cries and gets his way sometimes.

If the 7 year old is the product of a single mom then that may explain the tantrums. The tantrums might have resulted in the child getting her way so thats why they have persisted.

I look in the mirror and ask myself what I did to make this child, this angel sent from Heaven to bless the rest of my days, so unhappy as to utter such a hurtful and bitter remark. Is it something I said? Is it something I did? What about me can be better so that I'm worthy to be in this child's presence? And then I'll make a list of things I can do to improve myself, and work through them one by one, until the child isn't bratty any more.

The easiest cure for tantrums is isolation. I had a daughter who threw them all the time until I started isolating her every time she threw one. After a couple of months, she quit. Sometimes I would come home when she was in the height of one and as soon as she spotted me, she would stop. (Her mother tolerated the tantrums.)

When at home, in a room with zero things for her to do. If at a restaurant, put her in the back seat of the car and just stand outside with your back to her. Don't take her to any place like Disney until behavior is corrected. And, let her know when she is calm that you will not take her to Disney like places until she proves her behavior will be acceptable.

This above advice is for her Mom, not for you. She is the one who needs to administer the cure. In the interim, whenever the brat throws one, leave. Tell her Mom that you refuse to be embarrassed and abused ANYWHERE by the brat's tantrums. May cost you a GF but if Mom refuses to straiten the kid out stat, you will be really sorry you stayed with her.

Just do what you do when your "Girlfriend" gets uppity.....

........deflate her.

:banana: :banana: :banana:

Perhaps this child senses that you are a B rate writer with a sleezy apartment who can't commit. She acts like a brat when you're around so that you'll leave she and her poor mother alone.

Perhaps this child senses that you are a B rate writer with a sleezy apartment who can't commit. She acts like a brat when you're around so that you'll leave she and her poor mother alone.

Whether you are really Ferv, or Turban hiding behind your skirt again that's pretty good. :banana: :banana: :banana:

Sheesh :banana:

Sheesh :banana:

LOL

I could not help myself.

I would look the other way about the bad behavior. I would not give in to the child. But I would remain neutral and reserve comment. The Mom is likely sensitive enough about it. Your helpful advice would only start an argument that you can't win.

LOL

I could not help myself.

I was going to write something mean in reply, but why bother.

I have plenty of friends with kids, neices, nephews, the whole lot. If the kids don't respect you, you are toast. Obviously, this kid has has issues with you, or their mom. Which is why many of us said that you don't mess with a single mom when you posted that thread. One thing I've also learned about kids is that they are amazing "mirrors" however they see adults treat you, thats how they are going to do it. Again, I have to question your stature in this relationship.

In other words: The poon can't be that good, leave that ho-bag mom and let someone else do the damage to that kid.

Well, let's see:

- She is 7 and very impressionable

- She literally cries out that she does not feel loved

- There is some turmoil in the house (her Mom and Dad are separated and her mom has some other dude in her life)

I would say that you may want to encourage your girlfriend to help her daughter feel the love. Kids often act up because they want attention. You can ignore it or punish it, but it will only get worse. Better to deal with the issue now when the risks are relatively low. Once she gets a little older, you will be dealing with far more than just some tantrums.

This is not really your battle to fight, but you may want to be a supportive guy to your GF if you really feel the way about her that you say you do. Seems like you guys have some things that you need to figure out.

It ain't easy, so good luck.

First of all, you need to define "bratty" a little better. Is the main problem that the child doesn't accept directives from you....your girlfriend......both......all adults? If you can define who she is not responding to appropriately, that would help....

Whatever the case, though, there are a number of things you can do with a child who is willfully disobedient. If you can answer my first question, I would be happy to give you some ideas.

I think you should probably listen to the gayfixer, here. Also, ignore Bunster's advice. Bunster had five kids living in a three room house and one of the kids had a closet as a bedroom. I'm not kidding. Ask him.

I think part of it may depend on how long her parents have been separated. She may still want her parents back together. I was with a woman with a daughter that had no respect for me and would lash out all the time. I tried to treat her well and she'd rebel. I'd try to lay down the discipline and she'd rebel. A big part of the problem was that her mother wouldn't help when I did try to lay down the law. It didn't help that the mother didn't know how to discipline her child or how to teach her to respect adults. Of course, the gf is going to hold her kid higher than you. Even if you're completely in the right. This is something it took me a while to learn.

Does the child have siblings? One way that I brought her around was by favoring her sib (as horrible as it sounds). Another way was to completely ignore her. I stopped pandering to her and I stopped attempting to discipline her when she got out of line. I stopped taking interest in her activities. I acted like she wasn't around.

Then, she started craving my attention. At that point, we started bonding and she realized I wasn't so bad. Seven year old girls are a lot like 30 year old girls. They have respect for the guys that ignore them.

Is 7 y/o too late to have an effect on a kid? <_<

Yeah, you could have an effect. The problem is that you're fighting an uphill, losing battle if the mom ain't on board. Trust me, if the mom's not backing you up...might as well throw in the towel now.

Kids need a beating once in a while. Anyone that thinks otherwise is an idiot.

I think you should probably listen to the gayfixer, here. Also, ignore Bunster's advice. Bunster had five kids living in a three room house and one of the kids had a closet as a bedroom. I'm not kidding. Ask him.

I think part of it may depend on how long her parents have been separated. She may still want her parents back together. I was with a woman with a daughter that had no respect for me and would lash out all the time. I tried to treat her well and she'd rebel. I'd try to lay down the discipline and she'd rebel. A big part of the problem was that her mother wouldn't help when I did try to lay down the law. It didn't help that the mother didn't know how to discipline her child or how to treat her to respect adults. Of course, the gf is going to hold her kid higher than you. Even if you're completely in the right. This is something it took me a while to learn.

Does the child have siblings? One way that I brought her around was by favoring her sib (as horrible as it sounds). Another way was to completely ignore her. I stopped pandering to her and I stopped attempting to discipline her when she got out of line. I stopped taking interest in her activities. I acted like she wasn't around.

Then, she started craving my attention. At that point, we started bonding and she realized I wasn't so bad. Seven year old girls are a lot like 30 year old girls. They have respect for the guys that ignore them.

Who are you?

Who are you?

Does it matter? :thumbsdown:

I live in Texas. That's all I'm telling you. Go ahead and rip apart my advice. As you've obviously noticed, I advised MDC to at least listen to yours.

Does it matter? :thumbsup:

I live in Texas. That's all I'm telling you. Go ahead and rip apart my advice. As you've obviously noticed, I advised MDC to at least listen to yours.

I have no intention of ripping apart anything. You just characterized me in your post as if you knew me and I had never run across you before..........

I have no intention of ripping apart anything. You just characterized me in your post as if you knew me and I had never run across you before..........

I don't know you. I just thought that everyone here knows that you're the guy that fixes gay people.

You asked some questions before.

The daughter is 7. The brattiness is mainly moody brattiness and inability to be reprimanded w/out throwing a fit. Sometimes just a bad mood where she refuses to be cooperative and gets angry, mainly with Mommy over really nothing. Other times you reprimand her lightly - tell her not to do something in a stern voice or whatever. This turns into your having "screamed" at her and the daughter gets angry that you had the nerve to tell her what to do, the "nobody loves me" and crap like that.

Mommy works very hard for the both of them, is extremely involved in schooling and activities, and is very attentive. She is admittedly a pushover and not good at discipline. This is made worse by the fact that the daughter's only other two adult role models - dad and grandma - either give mixed messages or are really poor at parenting. To mommy's credit she does not pander to the kid, but her approach is to basically ignore it. This works in the moment but doesn't seem to do anything long-term.

This really isn't my fight. I'll insist on small things like please and thank you, but it's not my role to be parenting. On the other hand, I was raised a certain way by my folks - if I said "no" to my dad at that age I'd have been spitting teeth a second later. So it galls me to see a 7 y/o act that way. I should say the daughter is very bright and really a lot of fun to be with when she's in a good mood, but everything has to go her way.

Mainly I'm just wondering if, by at 7, this is something that could be changed? If I had to parent this kid I could never, ever tolerate this kind of behavior.

I don't know you. I just thought that everyone here knows that you're the guy that fixes gay people.

You don't know what you're talking about. I have never even worked with a person on that issue.

You don't know what you're talking about. I have never even worked with a person on that issue.

If you wouldn't mind starting with GoColts, we'd all appreciate it. :D