Sign in to follow this  
GettnHuge

Why do people smoke?

Seems I ask this every year, because I still don't understand it. Why do people, specially ones without

a lot of money, spend so much on something that stinks, destroys your body, and most importantly harms

your sex life?

Now I know you might say ohh it feels good, or it's addictive.

Well let me tell you, polishing the porpoise feels good and is addictive to, but you don't see me throwing

it on the floor, having my clothes smell or blowing it in someone's face.

Ok bad example.

:overhead: :overhead:

They obviously want to die a horrible, undignified death sooner in life.

That's all I can come up with.

fixed

Mostly to piss off sanctimonious, c0cksucking non-smokers.

because they are the pathetic, weak minded, dregs of society.

I never understood why poor people smoke. Don't they have more important things to spend their money on? Like food or their children? :overhead:

I never understood why poor people smoke. Don't they have more important things to spend their money on? Like food or their children? :overhead:

Could be worse. They could be paying to go to comedy clubs.

Nope. That would make too much sense. :rolleyes:

or lottery tickets? slot machines?

because they are the pathetic, weak minded, dregs of society.

itsatip - Your BOY, Barak Obama smokes like a chimney.

I wonder why we never hear about this with his campaign?

I have not had a puff in 80 days

:overhead:

My grandma smoked for 45 years and stopped cold turkey one day when she was like 60. And i have dumbfock friends who are in their mid-20s who cant just wake up and get the death stick out of their mouth. :overhead:

I smoke about 3-5 cigars a year. Won't kill me and is quite a nice little treat now and then. Acid Brand Kuba Kuba is the best!!! :first:

cigarettes are pretty nasty. Same goes for chew.

I smoke about 3-5 cigars a year. Won't kill me and is quite a nice little treat now and then.

That's alright. I don't hate you

I was talking to somebody about this the other night. My folks smoked their entire lives. I think it's disgusting. Dad's on full time oxygen - and still smokes. Mom's a nurse - and still smokes. Was pretty disgusted with them for a long time. But, in context, you have to remember that back in the day, when you went to war (for example), they'd throw cartons of cigarettes in as standard rations. It was pretty insidious. When an entire generation is stuck in a foxhole not sure they're going to live through the night, the dangers of smoking seem pretty irrelevant. Not that that was the start of smoking, mind you, but it just goes to show the culture they lived in.

So, over time, I've learned to understand their addiction. The ones I think are total focking idiots are any 20 something who smokes. WTF? Back in the day, sure, everybody did it, the movie stars did it, Johnny Carson did it on national tv, hell even athletes promoted it. Today? You have no excuse other than the fact that you're a total focking moron.

I've seen movies as far back as the 30s where an athlete was told not to smoke because 'that's not good for you, you're in training'

1951 a Hepburn movie where she was an athlete, her agent wouldn't let her smoke because it was bad for her lungs.

another generation later even that two bit loan shark boss of Rocky's took the cig out of his mouf because he was in training.

I don't see how those states won any sort of lawsuit a decade ago claiming ignorance of the dangers of smoking.

My grandfather smoked a pack a day for 50 years. He quit when he was 65 and died 5 years later of cancer.

I like Smokers. They pay a lot of taxes because they have no will power. :dunno:

my grandmother smoked KOOLS.

she died of emphysema at age 63.

if you are poor i have no idea how you afford cigarettes. :dunno:

I never understood why poor people smoke. Don't they have more important things to spend their money on? Like food or their children? :dunno:

Right after I graduated high school, I spent a summer working for a rent-to-own company. Saturdays were "repo" days. You'd be amazed at the number of times we were removing some kid's bed from their home as bottles laid all over the floor. It was unreal.

itsatip - Your BOY, Barak Obama smokes like a chimney.

I wonder why we never hear about this with his campaign?

I have not had a puff in 80 days

:dunno:

Probably because it's irrelevant and has nothing to do with how he'd be as POTUS. Granted, it's a stupid decision, but he's still a fairly young man, so the possibility that it affects him during the next 8 years is minimal.

Great question. Our Aunt is basically about to die from smoking (in chemo) for lung cancer. Guess what? She is still smoking.

Stupid. Now that I have lived in Washington/California where it seems like very few people smoke compared to Chicago. I can honestly say that I now think it is a disgusting habit.

when you went to war (for example), they'd throw cartons of cigarettes in as standard rations.

They also did it because smoking is an appetite suppressant and stimulant.

Like Dennis Leary said, it takes 10 years off your life, but they are the worst ten years.

You'd be amazed at the number of times we were removing some kid's bed from their home as bottles laid all over the floor.

a bed? i bought my daughter's mattress and box spring for $99 at macy's. why in the world would you have to rent a bed?

When i drink, i get the urge to smoke. When i'm not drinkin, the only thing i smoke is bud. But i'm guessing you're asking more about cigs right? Can't really give you a good reason for why i smoke when i'm drinkin. Its not like i smoke every time i drink either. Maybe 1 out of every 5 times i'll want a cig.

I smoke hookah about once a month as well. You get a slight buzz, the atmosphere is cool, it doesn't stink, and its something to do. About 4-5 of us will go to a hookah bar and chill. Might cost $5-10 a person and its something to do for 3-4 hours.

I had my first cigarette when I was 10 yrs old, but didn't start buying packs till I was about 13. I smoked on and off since then and now I'm 26. I smoke now because I'm bored. I'm sitting in Africa, with nothing to do until I go home in a week. To me the 3 biggest obstacles to quitting smoking are that I would miss 1) Coffee and a cigarette in the morning 2) Cigarette after a big meal 3) Cigarette when I drink...Before I came to Africa I got a prescription for some pills to quit, but I think I'm just going to do it cold turkey. It sucks cause all my friends smoke too, so it's difficult. Oh and I know I know...I'm a retard for smoking and I have no willpower ...Give me a break.

Probably because it's irrelevant and has nothing to do with how he'd be as POTUS. Granted, it's a stupid decision, but he's still a fairly young man, so the possibility that it affects him during the next 8 years is minimal.

Because Edjr called smokers " pathetic, weak minded, dregs of society." Then Northern Vike responded that Obama smokes. That's what made it relevant. HTH :overhead:

Being able to afford smokes ... makes you less poor in the eyes of other poor people.

Also, I think I might be addicted. It was still cool in the 80's.

And I dont want to live to be 100 ... and I make cylops cry often 3 times a day.

I have smoked maybe 5 cigarettes in my entire life. I have however by my calculations smoked something like 15,000 joints.

I have smoked maybe 5 cigarettes in my entire life. I have however by my calculations smoked something like 15,000 joints this year.

fixed

I have stopped smoking weed. Its been about 50 days since my last puff. I was up to about 3 a day for 15 years. Sometimes I felt like i smoked 15,000 in a year though.

Mostly to piss off sanctimonious, c0cksucking non-smokers.

I'll add that one to the reasons for me not to quit :thumbsdown:

I smoke when I get stressed or am out all night drinking ( which isn't often ). I used to smoke about a pack in college a day then i quit when i got married and never really was addicted after. I might smoke 2-3 a month socially.

as to why - who knows my parents smoked so did everyone i grew up with so i guess peer pressure is good a reason as any..