Sign in to follow this  
MDC

Dog breeds

Getting a dog soon, probably in the fall. The missus really likes Boston terriers. I think they're kind of cool, but I'd like a bigger / more athletic dog - living in Philthy I feel like I'm not getting my money's worth unless the dog could potentially kill someone. I'm a fan of pit bulls but she vetoed that idea. I also really like bulldogs and boxers but she's not too keen on that idea. She also likes Great Danes and of the bunch that's the one we more or less agree on. Her daughter wants a chiuhaha (sp? - no idea) but there's no f'ing way I'm getting one of those yippie little rats.

Any ideas? I almost have her sold on a boxer (my #1 choice) but I could live with a Great Dane. Much as I like Boston terriers, they're useless so far as home protection and it seems like everybody has one.

So the theory is true.

Big Dog = little d!ck

My wife's Aunt has a Great Dane. It sucks. <_<

I got a Goldendoodle. :(

Weimeraner!!!!!!!!!!!! I have had one for 44 years. (4 different ones) They are house dogs who will kill other dogs and anyone who tries to hurt you or your kids. <_<

So the theory is true.

Big Dog = little d!ck

Yes, everybody knows guys with chiuhahas have huge cacks. Or they're ghey.

I am huge supporter of Golden Retrievers. They are the best all round dog and they are very friendly. They aren't going to kill anyone but they are great dogs.

Great Dane? Them things crap like an elephant.

Do you plan on reproducing? You, not the dog.

If so, get a Lab. Smart, loyal, great with kids, but can still do some damge to a burglar.

My wife had a Golden Retriever when I met her. The thing covered everything in hair. You could brush it all you wanted and never make a difference. I can't imagine signing up to shovel the crap a Great Dane is going to pinch off.

We have an Irish Terrier that is a great dog. No shedding and weights about 30 pounds. They are expensive, rare and probably too small for your taste. Look at an Airdale. Great dogs. A male will go about 70 pounds.

My wife had a Golden Retriever when I met her. The thing covered everything in hair.

Golden doodle....half golden retriever, half standard poodle. doesn't shed, also good if you have allergies. Both breeds in the top 5 for intelligence.

This isn't penny, but she looks exactly like this.

Hey MDC, I'm not going to offer much advice on dogs, as we (my wife) has a yorkie and the things smart, but still a stupid little focking yap dog.

I was more curious if you and the misses have tied the not yet.

I got a Boxer when I first got married and it turned out to be a decent dog. It didn't bark at all, was friendly to everyone, and very playful, and was excellent with the kids when they came along.

It has a rather snotty nose, and if you dont crop the ears the ends tend to get ripped up and bleed. It also had trouble with its joints and they would sometimes bleed, and it also has pancreatitis....

In the end I was glad to be rid of it, and would not consider getting another dog.....its like having a homeless person live with you :doublethumbsup:

Labs are great dogs, I have owned 2 and by far the greatest dog ever, but if you aren't willing to commit to training and deal with a solid 2 years of chewing and "puppy" behavior you will be fighting a loosing battle.

Airdales are great, no shedding, very smart and great family dogs. IMO, the best bet is a mutt from the Humane Society and you will give a dog who, otherwise doesn't have a chance, a great life. I know this from personal experience, I have a shepherd/spaniel mix and wouldn't trade her for the world.

Ultimately, the dog is a reflection of their owner's ability to train.

Hey MDC, I'm not going to offer much advice on dogs, as we (my wife) has a yorkie and the things smart, but still a stupid little focking yap dog.

I was more curious if you and the misses have tied the not yet.

No we're getting married in June. That's one reason why I want to hold off on a dog, I think it'll be a lot of work at first and we've got our hands full with wedding plans.

I have had a fixed male Siberian Husky for 9 years. I can't tell you how good this dog has been. Here is my recommendation on the subject. Depends on if you have kids or a backyard. Male dogs hike their legs and spray acid piss all over everything in the backyard. Toys, shrubs, bushes, trees, anything 1ft off the ground will become dead with a male dog. Jocstrap will never ever ever own a male dog again. Other than that good luck. Don't get a yappy little thing you might squish if you step on it <_<

I have had a fixed male Siberian Husky for 9 years. I can't tell you how good this dog has been. Here is my recommendation on the subject. Depends on if you have kids or a backyard. Male dogs hike their legs and spray acid piss all over everything in the backyard. Toys, shrubs, bushes, trees, anything 1ft off the ground will become dead with a male dog. Jocstrap will never ever ever own a male dog again. Other than that good luck. Don't get a yappy little thing you might squish if you step on it <_<

Hey Jaque, Female dogs kill grass with the best of em. As a previous owner of a golden (who died of cancer at 4) and a chocolate lab, who also died too young, god bless her soul, I can attest to redoing my lawn every spring. Now I own a little yappy thing that I have almost squished repeaditly, I'll give you the verdict on grass kill for the tiny thing this spring, we got her last fall.

Siberian Huskys are awesome dogs.

I've got a German Shepherd/Rott mix and shes a great dog. Good parenting

Boxers are cool. :music_guitarred:

They've got a lot of personality...its really like having a little buddy around. Thing is, they can also LOOK really mean (though they are really pretty harmless), so it will still scare off some stupid people.

I have owned dogs all my life and here are some thoughts on some that I have owned:

Labs: Great dogs but puppies for 3 years and boundless energy. You really need an 11-14 yo boy to own one unless you have limitless time to attempt to wear them out. Also, crap 1/10 their body weight daily.

GR: Yeah, they shed, but you won't find a more intelligent, loving, even tempered dog. When presented with a threat, they have a very low, throatly growl that altho rarely used is extremely menacing.

Scchnauzer: Better train it or it will train you. Really, really smart dog that you can train to do anything. Owned 2 and never used a leash, even in airports. A little yappy and for a small dog, incredibly will back down from nothing. Clipping required.

All of the above are great with kids. My 2 Schnauzers (consecutively) were great baby sitters. They would watch my kids in the sandbox while I mowed the lawn and if the kids got nasty with each other the dog would let them know what for, then lick them.

All that said, my next dog is coming from the pound. I saved one years ago and want to save another.

newfoundlands

They can be 100-180 pounds and are great with kids, as it sounds like you want something larger.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/newfoundland.htm

My favorite dog is a brittany spaniel though.

Great dogs

I've go a St. Bernard.

When we bought it the sales person said it was a dry mouth veriety. :overhead: I have come to believe that there is no such thing. Great dog great with my two kids 4 and 2 :music_guitarred:

Great dogs

I've go a St. Bernard.

the sales person said it was a dry mouth veriety. :music_guitarred:

:overhead: Next time you need a car, look me up. :dunno:

:overhead: Next time you need a car, look me up. :dunno:

Will do :music_guitarred:

Get a Shar-pei. We have two of them and couldn't be any happier. They are fantastic house dogs, very protective and very good with children.

http://www.shar-pei.com/litter1.htm

Both are dogs are righht around 50 lbs....big enough to take care of bidness and small enough to take anywhere, sleep with etc, etc.

Shoot away with any questions.

Boxers are cool. :bandana:

They've got a lot of personality...its really like having a little buddy around. Thing is, they can also LOOK really mean (though they are really pretty harmless), so it will still scare off some stupid people.

Absolutely....normally they simply stand and stare as if they are just about ready to rip you into pieces, but all they are actually doing is hoping you will come over and play with them, its their way of saying..."ok, now come get me, I totally cant see you and once you get close i am going to run around you like a banshee in circles...."lol

Women like Great Danes because they fantasize about getting rammed by their huge peckers

People who live in the city should get small dogs HTH

Women like Great Danes because they fantasize about getting rammed by their huge peckers

People who live in the city should get small dogs HTH

i didn't realize you were a chick :bandana:

you are in the city? an apartment or condo?

probably not a good idea to get a big dog or any dog that requires a lot of exercise.

Regardless of what kind of dog you like, if you don't have the right environment for the breed you choose, you'll fail as a dog owner.

the first 2 things you should be answering are:

1. how much space do you have

2. how much time do you have (i.e. are you both working full time?)

GR: Yeah, they shed, but you won't find a more intelligent, loving, even tempered dog. When presented with a threat, they have a very low, throatly growl that altho rarely used is extremely menacing.

My Goldendoodle has this trait,. but when she makes this growl you can't help but laugh cause she looks like a stuffed animal.

I have a boxer. Bar none the best dog I have ever owned. Medium sized and will bark at whoever comes toward your house or alley. Boxers are hyper. They need to be walked and/ or exercised regularly. They act like puppies for the first 5 years of their lives. Boxers have bad flatulence too. Something about the breed that a lot of people don't know. If it's going to be an indoor dog, that is something to consider. Whatever you do, don't get a Great Dane. They are clumsy and when they ######, it's as big as the statue of liberty.

Did you know?

25 percent of all dog pounds in the US have purebred dogs available for adoption. Whenever considering a pet, always hit up your local pound. You might be surprised at the inventory. That's my Bob Barker speech of the day for ya.

I have a Bernese Mountain dog and could not ask for a better dog. He only requires two half hour walks a day. He is very good with my 8 year old boy and loves to lay down. They have a very similar temperment to a Golden retriever but he does not need me to throw a ball to him every 30 seconds. Mine is 104 lbs and they range anywhere from 98-120 depending on the sex of the animal. Females are closer to 80-95 and males are 90-120. Here is a page that discusses the breed.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...l%3Den%26sa%3DN

Just be careful when selecting a large dog. They have a shorter life expectancy than smaller dogs. The average age expectancy of this breed is 8-10 years. I would also recommend that you do a lot of research on the breeder that you are getting the large dogs from as they are prone to hip and elbow problems and that can run a lot of money. If you are interested in this breed feel free to PM me with any questions you have. It took us 10 months to select a breeder that we wanted to get him from.

Golden doodle....half golden retriever, half standard poodle. doesn't shed, also good if you have allergies. Both breeds in the top 5 for intelligence.

This isn't penny, but she looks exactly like this.

I can see that would be a good dog. A standard poodle is a water dog and makes sense with a golden ret.