Sign in to follow this  
Brad GLuckman

I need Help

I've never really golfed seriously before, but this year my friends and I are going to try and get into it:

So I have a couple questions for you golf guys:

#1) I randomly slice it to the right...I'd say on about half of my drives...is there a common reason why people do this?

#2) If I drive, and it doesn't get any height...just kinda skims along the fairway real low... what did I do wrong?

I've never really golfed seriously before, but this year my friends and I are going to try and get into it:

So I have a couple questions for you golf guys:

#1) I randomly slice it to the right...I'd say on about half of my drives...is there a common reason why people do this?

#2) If I drive, and it doesn't get any height...just kinda skims along the fairway real low... what did I do wrong?

1) What kink of shaft do you have on your driver? stiff, flexible, ect. - I went to a stiffer shaft and now I do not slice as bad.

2) Tee the ball up higher/longer tees. Or try and move the ball back alittle in your stance.

I can not stand when someone on the golf course is trying to give me tips while I'm golfing. Go to You tube and search for golf tips. I've actually gotten some good tips there.

This used to happen to me and I figured it out at the driving range. 2 things.

tee your ball up, so the very bottom of it, would be at the top of your driver. that way it will prevent you from swinging too much under it

then, put your driver down on the ground in back of the tee when your ball is teed up and take your hands off the shaft and let the shaft rest against your body. Take note of the angle of the driver. make sure when you grip the driver, you don't turn the club head forward and lose your loft. I know it sounds simple, but it took me 15 years to figure that out. Sometimes I would drive it 15 feet off the ground and sometimes 50. Not anymore. give it a shot.

as far as the slice, try standing a smidge further away from the ball.

I am by no means an expert, but these things worked for me.  HTH

The simplest thing you can do to rid yourself of the slice is to keep your head down a split second longer. This allows the arms and the shoulders to come through the ball and likely allow you to move the ball from right to left. Many other things work but this is just simple.

Also maybe try putting the ball more forward in your stance. If your clubface is a little open at impact, this gives it a little bit more of a chance to recover. Whatever you do, don't try to close your clubface more at address. The next thing you know you'll have a nasty focking hook going on and you don't need that. HTH.

For a slice you are swinging outside in. Meaning you are taking the club back on the outside then cuting across it as you come through.

If you are right handed try to keep your right elbow tucked into your side a little more. Try to create a flatter swing, (not as steep). Hit into the ball not across it.

Sounds easier than it is.

For a slice you are swinging outside in. Meaning you are taking the club back on the outside then cuting across it as you come through.

If you are right handed try to keep your right elbow tucked into your side a little more. Try to create a flatter swing, (not as steep). Hit into the ball not across it.

Yep. This is the biggest problem with slicers. They are coming across the ball from the outside to in. Basically (right handed), you need to be swinging from the inside to out.

Keeping the right elbow tucked closer to your side throughout the swing will help a lot.

Line up normally, and then try to hit the ball to right center field with your swing. This means you'll be trying to swing inside to out. You'll end up putting draw spin on it if you are successful....eventually.

This is the correct fix, the other fixes listed are temporary and can mess up your swing more than they help.

Thanks guys...I'll take note of everything above.

One more thing...as far as pitching onto the green, from say 10-20 feet.

All of us continually screw this up. Either we hit it over the green, we don't get any height on it so it hits the green and quickly rolls off, or we try to hit it too lightly and it doesn't make it to the green. This has been by far the toughest thing for me to do.

I've tried the SW club, but it doesn't seem to help much, I still always rolls off the green. What do you guys do to make the ball get some height, fall onto the green, and not roll off of it. Pretty much, how do I get backspin I guess?

All of us continually screw this up. Either we hit it over the green, we don't get any height on it so it hits the green and quickly rolls off, or we try to hit it too lightly and it doesn't make it to the green. This has been by far the toughest thing for me to do.

I've tried the SW club, but it doesn't seem to help much, I still always rolls off the green. What do you guys do to make the ball get some height, fall onto the green, and not roll off of it. Pretty much, how do I get backspin I guess?

Don't try and flop it onto the green. Use your 7 iron and chip and run it to the cup. One third in the air to two thirds rolling on the ground.

I bet you also skull these shots at times. Place the ball in the middle of your stance with the face slightly open. Keep your hands ahead of the ball thru impact with wrists locked. This will ensure a nice high, soft shot. You likely are letting the clubhead get ahead of your hands and scooping the ball trying to get it high in the air. The results in lower shots with no backspin as you are getting the blade of the club into the ball instead of the club face.

As far as the slice is concerned, agree with tucking the R elbow. You are also likely starting the downswing by turning the shoulders. This results in an outside in swing. You need to start the downswing with a lateral and turning motion of the hips. Also, don't look at the whole ball. Concentrate on the back inside "corner" of the ball.

A common pitching problem is that people decelerate on the downswing because they fear these kinds of results, which results in just these kinds of results. Shorten up the backswing, hit down on the ball aggressively - don't try to 'lift' it, and follow through.

That's if you must pitch it. Like someone else said it's often better to bump and run a middle iron from that distance.

I wouldn't worry about it. When you line up to hit the ball, just reposition your body, as thought you are aiming at an imaginary flag and hole that are about 15 degrees to the left of the actual flag. (The opposite if you're left handed). This should put you right back on track.

Sounds like you're not getting enought lift on the ball. A couple guys I knew had this problem, and once they got some decent lift under it, those skimming, ground hugging drives became a thing of the past.

Try "chopping" at the ball. You will find that once you get the right chopping angle, the ball have beautiful lift and backspin. Swinging traditionally will only cause you to either overshoot the green, or scoot the ball right across the green.

I am an expert at golf. I taught Tiger everything he knows.

I crap eagles in my sleep.

one more thing that I forgot to mention. Drink plenty of beers while golfing. It will make the agony of sucking so much go away :doublethumbsup:

one more thing that I forgot to mention. Drink plenty of beers while golfing. It will make the agony of sucking so much go away :doublethumbsup:

Is that what you do when you post?

Is that what you do when you post?

:banana:

Nice 4th post :music_guitarred:

who the fock are you?

I sense a slogan.

Here at FFT.

We're rich, we have giant schlongs, we have hot women and we are expert golfers. :thumbsup:

Yep. This is the biggest problem with slicers. They are coming across the ball from the outside to in. Basically (right handed), you need to be swinging from the inside to out.

Keeping the right elbow tucked closer to your side throughout the swing will help a lot.

Line up normally, and then try to hit the ball to right center field with your swing. This means you'll be trying to swing inside to out. You'll end up putting draw spin on it if you are successful....eventually.

Count me in with the agreements on this. I tell people to think about a baseball swing, flatter, and hitting out at the ball like you suggest.

Also, I think I read here to move the ball forward; if so, I disagree. Further back in the stance promotes the above inside-out motion.

Also, and I haven't read the whole thread: I hear there are trained professionals who can help with this sorta thing. :thumbsup:

Also, and I haven't read the whole thread: I hear there are trained professionals who can help with this sorta thing. :thumbsup:

Also, there are women not on messageboards to flirt with :thumbsup:

I sense a slogan.

Here at FFT.

We're rich, we have giant schlongs, we have hot women and we are expert golfers. :thumbsup:

You can have a 12-18 handicap and still know how a golf swing is supposed to go, and what effects it.

Also, there are women not on messageboards to flirt with :thumbsup:

I don't discriminate; I flirt with women of all levels of reality. :thumbsup:

You can have a 12-18 handicap and still know how a golf swing is supposed to go, and what effects it.

I'm just joking, take it easy.

I have absolutely no idea about the golf swing, I just know most of the time I can hit it pretty good. I really wish i did.

Also I encourage a standard grip. When I was young I had a very strong grip, and in hindsight it prevented my wrists from following through. My biggest problem now is overactive wrists (hehe... hehehe...) when I try to hit a drive too hard, resulting in a low snap hook.

I wouldn't worry about it. When you line up to hit the ball, just reposition your body, as thought you are aiming at an imaginary flag and hole that are about 15 degrees to the left of the actual flag. (The opposite if you're left handed). This should put you right back on track.

Sounds like you're not getting enought lift on the ball. A couple guys I knew had this problem, and once they got some decent lift under it, those skimming, ground hugging drives became a thing of the past.

Try "chopping" at the ball. You will find that once you get the right chopping angle, the ball have beautiful lift and backspin. Swinging traditionally will only cause you to either overshoot the green, or scoot the ball right across the green.

These are some of the worst tips yet. Don't follow these tips.

if something doesnt work for you...dont give up on it...

i turn my right hand over the club just a touch...i couldnt open it up if i wanted to..but im clearly no pro...

i see tons of people come to the range and 2 major problems i see are...

WAY too fast on the backswing..no need..you are going to lose swing power and accuracy coming down...u didnt practice with that wild of a backswing so dont swing that way regular...

when u DO a practice swing..dont just swing..slow your swing down when u get to the ball and see where the club face is..if u just practice swing like u are tom brunansky, you probably wont see the damn club head...slow it down..and if u are a lil off..tinker with adjustments..

the above listed are all good..go to a range and tinker with your hands just a touch..or maybe the club head towards the left barely..hit some and see what feels good..i wouldnt practice it for the first time on the course or youll be frustrated...

my real answer was give it up and play tennis..but i wasnt going there...

:unsure: (above listed from OTHER people, i mean..NOT my ideas)

Years ago my wife thought she wanted to learn golf, because I and her whole family play it. We went out to the range and she asks, "OK what do I do?" Fock if I know, I'm not a pro! But I thought on it and gave her these two tips:

1. Swing down at the ball. The biggest problem I see with beginners is trying to "lift" the ball. The angle of the club creates the lift. Think of hitting the ball at the bottom of your swing and follow thru.

2. After watching her hit and not trying to overswing, my second advice was "Yeah, you don't want to go Reggie Jackson on the ball, but don't be afraid to give it a firm, solid swing."

:thumbsup:

Count me in with the agreements on this. I tell people to think about a baseball swing, flatter, and hitting out at the ball like you suggest.

Also, I think I read here to move the ball forward; if so, I disagree. Further back in the stance promotes the above inside-out motion.

Also, and I haven't read the whole thread: I hear there are trained professionals who can help with this sorta thing. :blink:

Correct. Other poster is wrong. if you move the ball forward, you will slice even more to the right. The ball on you drive should be about at the inside heal of your left foot (for right handers). If you still slice, move it back a little until you find where it doesn't slice.

Then get a monster driver from Tommyknockergolf. http://www.angelfire.com/pa/TWGOLF/index.html

And drive the absolute ###### out of the ball.

I'm a happy but horrible golfer.

Sometimes I break 100, sometimes not.

But I don't play slow and I'm not "that guy nobody ever wants to golf with".

The best tips I've ever gotten: (Tips for the Sh!tty Golfer)

- it ain't about score, it's about enjoying yourself and hitting a few good shots.

- if you play slow, you will have a bad time and so too will the golfers with you.

- Never, ever, take anything over double par. You should have picked your ball up, opened another tasty beverage, and gone to the next hole long before taking another hack.

- practice swinging with your feet together. swinging with your feet together will help you understand how to shift your balance and rotate your hips and shoulders. Your legs give you power, but they are just a wild variable if you don't know how to swing controlled.

- shorten your backswing. most of us will never have the flexibility that the pros have and trying to pull the clubhead way up and behind you like the pros isn't realistic. your backswing, like legs, is for power but the more you use 'em, the tougher it is to just make decent contact.

- lack of power for most of us crappy golfers is because of poor contact, not weak arms/legs/back. If you can learn to make decent, controlled contact, the ball will go just fine (see the 80 year old guy who's 210 up the middle every time?)

the golf swing is a downward motion, not forward. allow that to resonate for a minute.

let's address the chipping issue first...it's simple. as others have said, put the ball in the back half or at least middle of your stance. hands are always in front of the clubhead as you make a downward motion...not forward. your hands will not flip if they stay in front of the clubhead as the clubhead goes into the ground. it's also a secret, but instead of looking at the back of the ball, look at the front. you will never hit a fat chip again.

now to the slice. there are various reasons, but alignment is one and is easy to fix. when we address the ball without a club, our shoulders, hips, and thighs are all aligned. however, when we put our hands onto the club, the right hand goes below the left (for righthanders). as a result, your shoulders automatically open up to the left. if you don't believe me, watch your buddies as they line up a tee shot. 99% are aimed left of the target. so what, you say? well, now the club has no chance of being taken away to the inside. it can only go straight back or out away from the body, which leaves it no path to the ball but over the top, causing a slice. or you have to flip the club, which then pulls it left. so, after you get to address, make a conscious effort to realign your shoulders, hips, and thighs to the target. now, the club can go back, in and up on the backswing, which means you can now swing on a better plane through the ball.

wait, there's more. many slicers slide off the ball. let's address that. if you slide away from the ball instead of turn, your weight is not over the ball, but is always behind it (i didn't say head, i said weight...head is always behind the ball), which means you'll flip at the ball with your hands and it will slice. so, pretend you're in a barrel. wait, i'm not going to say swing in a barrel. pretend you're in a barrel. on the backswing, stay inside the barrel. as you transition to the downswing, now break through the front side of the barrel. don't break it on the backswing, only on the downswing. this will allow you to stay over the ball and allow you to work in the downward motion, even with a driver.

last part. with those things in mind to work on, here's the best part. at the top of the swing, draw a line from your right shoulder to the ball and drive your right shoulder down that line, downward. now, your right shoulder is on plane and the club must follow. if your right shoulder comes over the top of that plane, the ball will slice. if your right shoulder goes down that plane line, you will be on plane. no need to steer the clubface, just let it go, downward. have i said that enough? it's downward, not forward.

your brain is compelled to hit at the ball. many people have great practice swings, then turn into charles barkley when the ball is in the way. don't go slowly on the backswing. be natural. there is also some speed that comes from the stretch of moving quicker. if the big muscles move quickly, the little muscles won't be compelled to compensate or steer the clubface.

hth. ~b

hth. ~b

Sweet dude, those were excellent tips. Might have to play a round this weekend and give those a whirl :doublethumbsup:

Sweet dude, those were excellent tips. Might have to play a round this weekend and give those a whirl :doublethumbsup:

play well! golf's fun when you can see the why's of the how's.