broussard

How to get rid of a possum

How should TRF get rid of possum?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. How SHould I get rid of the possum

• Drive him to woods and release him
    • Drive him to the woods and pop a cap in his skull
    • Fill garbage can w/ water and drown him
    • Release him in the yard (not preferred)
    • Take him into my dungeon like basement and pop a cap in his skull
    • Keep him in cage and let him starve to death
    • GUMBO!!!!!

Recently we have a skunk in or around our back yard. We get the occasional whiff of him/her. I go to the tractor store and purchase a coupla traps. It’s not like I know what I’m going to do with the skunk once I catch it. I’ll cross that bridge when I get there.

Progress has been slow. I’ve used several different baits and have had mixed results. I’ve caught a lot of cats. Catch and release. Last night I tried old frozen fish sticks for a change to see what I get. Well this morning I check one of them and this possum is in there. He’s not happy at all. I mean VERY unhappy. My dilemma is what do I do w/ him? I don’t want to get near him where he can bite or scratch me w/ his infected weapons. I don’t want him back in my yard.

The majority will rule in this. I will take pictures of the getting rid of event.

http://public.fotki.com/tylerrosefan/misc/misc/img00089.html

http://public.fotki.com/tylerrosefan/misc/misc/img00090.html

ETA: GUMBO!!!

I guess you haven't been in Louisiana long enough..........you know the answer is give it to your neighbor so he can make a nice gumbo.

Just drive him to the woods and let him go. Make sure to go at least 5 miles away and cross a body of water though, or else that focker will be back scavaging your trash again in 48 hours.

We have all heard of the heroic efforts of Rusty beating non-venomous snakes to death in his driveway. Seems like you should get him to drive over and do what comes natural. And after the sex, have him beat the possum to death.

slip a 22 barrel just inside the top of the cage

wait for animal to stop moving with it's head just below barrel

-boom-

step back as they will flounder and splatter blood

dump trap

set trap back up

slip a 22 barrel just inside the top of the cage

wait for animal to stop moving with it's head just below barrel

-boom-

step back as they will flounder and splatter blood

dump trap

set trap back up

Right. I live in a small town where shooting of firearms in city limits is illegal. I don't really want to have to drive 10 miles to get rid of him.

That focker looks mean.. I voted keep him in the cage, but I also like drive to woods release and kill

Why kill? Just release and be done with it.

:thumbsup:

Right. I live in a small town where shooting of firearms in city limits is illegal. I don't really want to have to drive 10 miles to get rid of him.

well then I'm not sure what you expected out of all this. I'm not telling you to kill it in your own yard, then you're hauling a bloody mess

in your car. As long as you put a trap out with bait you're always going to catch animals. I wouldn't tell peeps what you're doing(killing it)

by the way. Specially trapping in city limits...that's a weee bit of a nono. Better check your 08 hunting regulations, they should be online.

Like I said, don't tell peeps. Now if they are being a pest, that's another story. I only put the trap out when the chucks/coons start digging

around the house or yard.

hth

:shocking:

I guess you and Franknbeans also don't believe in killing rats, mice, roaches or fire ants.

PETA luvin freaks :thumbsup:

Kill that disease spreading varmint.

Jeebus man...do you live near a nuclear facility? That things twice as big as any possum i've ever seen in michigan.

Had this same exact problem last year. Had a skunk, put up traps, caught a possum instead. We released it into the woods, but the skunk still remained. Never did get rid of it. Anyways, use marshmellows as bait. They love the smell. Squish them a bit.

If and when you do catch the skunk, you'd probably want to get a trapper to get rid of it for you. If not, all you do is get an old blanket, walk up to it from behind, cover cage with blanket. Drive it to the woods, release it. Do not kill it on your property.

I guess you and Franknbeans also don't believe in killing rats, mice, roaches or fire ants.

PETA luvin freaks :thumbsup:

Kill that disease spreading varmint.

You're a real tough guy, aren't cha?

Had this same exact problem last year. Had a skunk, put up traps, caught a possum instead. We released it into the woods, but the skunk still remained. Never did get rid of it. Anyways, use marshmellows as bait. They love the smell. Squish them a bit.

If and when you do catch the skunk, you'd probably want to get a trapper to get rid of it for you. If not, all you do is get an old blanket, walk up to it from behind, cover cage with blanket. Drive it to the woods, release it. Do not kill it on your property.

:thumbsup:

I voted to release the possum. They don't hurt anything. They may eat a little dog food if you leave it out, but they are not exactly major pest.

Where's the option for "Bring out the Gimp"?

Also..just bring him into the woods and let him go. Possums aren't troublemakers.

I have caught several possums in my days as a trapper and when I was trying to catch a cat that escaped from my house. They can be mean, but I NEVER had any trouble letting them out of the cage. Most of the time they just run off when you let them out. Just grab a stick before you release him in case he tries to come after you. Just poke the stick at him and he will bail.

What kind of noise do they make?

I'd teach it a lesson first. Rub some peanut butter on your crotch and have it lick it off. By the time it realizes it's licking your balls, you'll have shot a load in it's eye. It will feel real shame and confusion.

I have caught several possums in my days as a trapper and when I was trying to catch a cat that escaped from my house. They can be mean, but I NEVER had any trouble letting them out of the cage. Most of the time they just run off when you let them out. Just grab a stick before you release him in case he tries to come after you. Just poke the stick at him and he will bail.

Hey, listen, I want somebody good - and I mean very good - to release that possum. I don't want broussard coming out of that woods with just his stick in his hands, alright?

:pointstosky:

This is the response from a veterinarian frined of mine:

TRF,

[ourmutualfrined] seems to think you need advise. My advise to to shoot the possum with a .22 right between the eyes and move on. Very quick and painless. This is actually a approved form of euthanasia.

If this does not suit you. Then I would transfer this fella several miles away and turn him loose elsewhere.

I actually trapped 10-12 raccoons in my carport at my house a few years ago. I would drive no less than 5 miles and just let them go. I shot only one (because I had a black lady beg me too, She ate the thing).

Warning!!! The last thing I trapped was indeed a skunk. I tried to traquilize him......did not work. So I put a large blanket over the trap, picked it up very gently, put it on my tailgate, drove to my back yard (inside the city limits), shot him in the head, put on a large glove, pulled him out, left him lay.

Still had bad results........Got sprayed some how. Had to leave my cloths outside for two weeks and smell him for at least that long.

Someone told me later that I should have thrown the trap in a pond and let him drown???? That's too cruel for me.

Good luck

I vote transfer and release. It might be a pain, but you'll feel better than just shooting the helpless bastard. Unless you are a psychopath, of course.

I guess the possum got the best of ol' broussard. :lol:

Rest in peace, my sweet friend. :thumbsdown:

I guess the possum got the best of ol' broussard. :lol:

Rest in peace, my sweet friend. :o

Investigators on the scene found this image as the last one on a camera in the yard.

pic

As a hunter I only kill what I am willing to eat. So if you want to eat him or know someone who dose put him under the knife.

Skunks, rats and the like I would kill. A possum has caused you no harm except gone thru your trash. Take him out to the woods and let him go.

Just let him loose in the neighbor's yard.

My dog tends to kill a lot of critters that stray into my yard. So far, she's tallied about 20 rabbits, 2 raccoons, a black snake, a squirrell, a skunk, a possum, and a handful of chipmunks. She never eats them, she just kills.

I throw the carcasses in the neighbor's yard. He thinks his dog is the shiz. <_<

Just let him loose in the neighbor's yard.

My dog tends to kill a lot of critters that stray into my yard. So far, she's tallied about 20 rabbits, 2 raccoons, a black snake, a squirrell, a skunk, a possum, and a handful of chipmunks. She never eats them, she just kills.

I throw the carcasses in the neighbor's yard. He thinks his dog is the shiz. <_<

davebag? :lol:

TRF Jr and I drove him to a spot around 10 miles away and released him. No big event. Then, this morning was possum 2.2 in the cage. Same thing. Drove him to the same spot 10 miles away and released him. Maybe he'll find his friend.

just wait'll you get a coon that acts all calm but then comes after you when released. :music_guitarred:

I voted for the drowning option.

I once drowned a rat by holding him underwater with a pair of pliars. It was awesome. He was even too stupid to try and hold his breath for a while. :music_guitarred:

I once drowned a rat by holding him underwater with a pair of pliars. It was awesome. He was even too stupid to try and hold his breath for a while. :lol:

It's more fun when you do it to a girlfriend.

I once drowned a rat by holding him underwater with a pair of pliars. It was awesome. He was even too stupid to try and hold his breath for a while. :lol:

Did that to my mother in law. Still makes me chuckle.