Sign in to follow this  
GettnHuge

Beer recommendation thread number 22

Now that I'm feeling greta again, it's time to review some new beers...

my previous favourites:

sam adams oktoberfest

fort collins chocolate stout

guinness extra stout

:music_guitarred:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1146/4312

Goose Island Oatmeal Stout...decided to give the 'oatmeal' a try after it was mentioned here recently, and it's a greta beer. Smooth

and tasty. Definite 6pack buy. :wub:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/710/2940

Leinenkugel Creamy Dark...Doesn't take much to send the foam soaring to the top of the glass, and I was carefully

slowpouring it.

Easy and smooth to drink, leaves a very slight bitter aftertaste. Pretty good beer but I dun think I'll get a 6 of it. :mellow:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1146/1169

Goose Island Nut Brown Ale...Mmmmmmm dats good. I like the oatmeal just slightly more but I'd buy a 6'er of this too for sho. :mad:

Def gonna try some of the other Goose Island brews.

Do any of you fockers drink anything normal? I can't even find half of these beers where I live. :music_guitarred:

Do any of you fockers drink anything normal? I can't even find half of these beers where I live. :music_guitarred:

There's a chain of restaurants in parts of the country called Old Chicago. Old Chicago sells 130 different beers at any given time, about 20 on tap and the rest in bottles or cans. They rotate certain beers in and out of the lineup so over the course of a year they may have served 150+ different beers. They have a promotion called the World Beer Tour where they give prizes if you finish x number of different beers, and a full tour is 110 beers. So it encourages the drinking of a lot of different beers. My current favorite is a hoppy beer called Hazed and Infused. I highly recommend it.

i'm on a bitburger kick right now. german pilsner with a little bitters in it...not much though. good, full flavor. should be able to get it at any of the larger outlets.

You don't have stores where you live?

i'm on a bitburger kick right now. german pilsner with a little bitters in it...not much though. good, full flavor. should be able to get it at any of the larger outlets.

Bitte ein Bit!

:music_guitarred:

You don't have stores where you live?

Yea I can find a few of these beers in the stores around here. Oktoberfest is one of my favs also but many of these beers I've never seen before.

Yea I can find a few of these beers in the stores around here. Oktoberfest is one of my favs also but many of these beers I've never seen before.

I bet between all the grocery stores we have close to 300-400 different beers for sell here, and its just a town of 40,000ish in montana.

Check out all the grocery stores :thumbsup:

Leine's Creamy Dark is one of my favorite beers. Good stuff, IMO.

You should give "Sam Adams Black Lager" a try :thumbsup:

You should give "Sam Adams Black Lager" a try :thumbsup:

Had some last night (and the night before)! :unsure:

Do any of you fockers drink anything normal? I can't even find half of these beers where I live. :dunno:

I'm surprised you can get any beer at all in prison.

Do you have any non-stout suggestions? I finally had guiness on tap and thought it was pretty good, but i still like my pilsners and wheat beers. My favorite beer is heffy on tap. I haven't tried many different beers. Where should i start? I'll give a list of what i commonly drink and you can bash the beers i drink and sugest better ones. Kinda ranked in order but not completely.

Heffy

dos equis

sierra nevada pale ale

heinken

SA spring ale (i've only found it once and it was really good. Would rate higher but i've only had it once)

Guiness (again, only had it twice so i can't rate it too high yet)

If i was buying for myself, 90% of the time i'd buy something out of that list. But people around my age don't really experiment. So a lot of the time i end up drinking either corona (which isn't bad, but i like other mexican beers better) or bud light (which i'm not a fan of at all, but in the end its beer).

Canadian Molson :rolleyes:

Can i ask you beer "experts" a question, which would probably be more appropriate in my thread, but, whatever.....

Is there any beer out there that doesn't taste bitter? See, i liked C.Molson because it's the least bitter beer i ever had and it was good, but, it was still quite bitter. I actually doubt it since beer is just naturally bitter...

Can i ask you beer "experts" a question, which would probably be more appropriate in my thread, but, whatever.....

Is there any beer out there that doesn't taste bitter? See, i liked C.Molson because it's the least bitter beer i ever had and it was good, but, it was still quite bitter. I actually doubt it since beer is just naturally bitter...

Heffenweizen. You have to get it on tap though. I've never met a person who didn't like it.

Molson Canadian bitter????

hmmm...

I had to check your profile, yep your 19. Just keep tossing the beers back, in a couple years beers wont taste bitter anymore. Beer is an acquired taste.

The first time i had heineken i couldn't even finish the bottle. Now its on my approved my list.

The first time i had heineken i couldn't even finish the bottle. Now its on my approved my list.

The first time you probably had it from a bottle.

Most beers in clear or light colored bottles get light skunked easily, and it doesnt take hardly any time under UV rays. Most heineken and corona that people drink in america is skunked, and they dont even know it. Try a heineken out of the minny keg, or off tap, and you can definitely taste a difference.

Scientists have (relatively) recently discovered the compounds that give “skunked” beer that all-too-familiar aroma.

Isohumulones, one of the compounds that contributes bitterness to beer, decomposes when struck by ultraviolet light and creates 3-methylbut-2-ene-1-thiol (MBT) which is detectable with only a few parts per billion.

Over at khymos.org, a site dedicated to “molecular gastronomy” and the science of cooking, has put together a very nice explanation of the process, including diagrams for those of us who have already been drin…I mean, those of us without a chemistry background.

It’s also apparently not a problem restricted to beer, as olive oil, butter, and milk can suffer the same fate if left in sunlight.

The moral of the story: Buy beer in brown bottles!

http://hop-talk.com/2007/02/18/skunked-beer-explained/

Do you have any non-stout suggestions? I finally had guiness on tap and thought it was pretty good, but i still like my pilsners and wheat beers. My favorite beer is heffy on tap. I haven't tried many different beers. Where should i start? I'll give a list of what i commonly drink and you can bash the beers i drink and sugest better ones. Kinda ranked in order but not completely.

Heffy

dos equis

sierra nevada pale ale

heinken

SA spring ale (i've only found it once and it was really good. Would rate higher but i've only had it once)

If i was buying for myself, 90% of the time i'd buy something out of that list. But people around my age don't really experiment. So a lot of the time i end up drinking either corona (which isn't bad, but i like other mexican beers better) or bud light (which i'm not a fan of at all, but in the end its beer).

Goose Island India pale ale is well rated, I'm gonna grab one next time despite it not a stout

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1146/3968/

Heffy

dos equis

sierra nevada pale ale

heinken

Try:

Pyramid

Fat Tire

Stella Artois

Chimay

Alesmith (IPA, Pale Ale, etc.)

hefe's: paulaner, franziskaner

dunkel: franziskaner

wit: hoegaarden, new belgain (mothership wit), blanche de bruges, blache de bruxelles

sours: douchess de bourgogne, goudenband, petrus

abbey ales: affligem, st bernardus

trappist ales: chimay (try all three), rochefort

goulden ale: delerium tremmens

i also like stouts and porters, but not well versed in them.

Heffy

dos equis

sierra nevada pale ale

heinken

Best Pilsner out there BY FAR is Pilsner Urquell.......IMO

hefe's: paulaner, franziskaner

dunkel: franziskaner

wit: hoegaarden, new belgain (mothership wit), blanche de bruges, blache de bruxelles

sours: douchess de bourgogne, goudenband, petrus

abbey ales: affligem, st bernardus

trappist ales: chimay (try all three), rochefort

goulden ale: delerium tremmens

i also like stouts and porters, but not well versed in them.

I forgot to mention Hoegaarden, great summer beer!

St. Bernardus is my favorite :mad:

Didn't like the Mothership Wit too much but I do like Fat Tire & 2 Below

And yes, just about any Trappist Ale is damn good! Chimay, Rochefort, Westmalle, Orval, etc.

*Bumpdate*

Picked up a few more individual beers, mostly summer/light ales which I don't normally drink.

Goose Island india pale ale, couple leinenkugels...

Right now drinking:

Leinenkugel Red Lager: I do like the reds, Killians is a good fallback beer when nothing good is offered at a restaurant. I think the reds

go best with wings/ribs. Anyway the colour is more like the Sam Adams Oktoberfest, copper more than red. Very easy to drink, almost

too easy. I put the bottle in the freezer for a bit and I think very cold is the best way to drink this beer. Pretty good beer, try it sometime.

Beeradvocate gave it a C+, I'd have to say solid B.

i'm on a unibroue kick lately...damn canadians...

Also got a case of N'Ice Chouffe...WOW I never remembered this being *that* good.

:thumbsup:

Erdinger Krystal Klar. Comes in a 16.9 oz bottle and runs about $2.50 per, but man is it outstanding.

Leinie's Summer Shandy :thumbsup:

The first time you probably had it from a bottle.

Most beers in clear or light colored bottles get light skunked easily, and it doesnt take hardly any time under UV rays. Most heineken and corona that people drink in america is skunked, and they dont even know it. Try a heineken out of the minny keg, or off tap, and you can definitely taste a difference.

http://hop-talk.com/2007/02/18/skunked-beer-explained/

Sorry, I've been led inton the wrong thread I think,but, while I'm here, I'd just like to point out all this talk of skunk is both what caught my attention and just one more piece of evidence of marijuana's superiority over all things alcohol. in the cannabis culture, Skunk is not a negative, and it sure as hell doesn't take any scientists to explain it to you. any ól stoner would be happy to oblige

Sorry, I've been led inton the wrong thread I think,but, while I'm here, I'd just like to point out all this talk of skunk is both what caught my attention and just one more piece of evidence of marijuana's superiority over all things alcohol. in the cannabis culture, Skunk is not a negative, and it sure as hell doesn't take any scientists to explain it to you. any ól stoner would be happy to oblige

:banana:

Leinenkugel Honey Weiss

Light golden colour, very smooth to drink, the opposite of the India Pale Ale witha very light taste to it. Too light

for me as of course it's not my type of beer. If you like a light taste, light flavour, try it. It's not bad.

Leinie's Summer Shandy :rolleyes:

+1 :lol:

May be the most refreshing beer I ever tasted. It's made with lemonade.

(for those geeks who don't know Leinie's = Leinenkugel)

+1 :(

I actually did pick up one of those and will have a go at it tomorrow.

+1 :cheers:

Well I'm having one right now, it's definitely better than all these other golden coloured beers. Good thing I saved it for today

when it's gonna be hot and insanely humid. I am DEFINITELY picking up a 6'er of this as a change of pace/hot day beer. It's

beers like this that make miller chilled/bl lime look even worse.

:unsure: Leinenkugel Summer Shandy :first: