Sign in to follow this  
mmmmm...beer

Does your job define you?

I know so many cops that the job defines who they are. You ask them who they are, "I'm a police officer." I don't know of another profession that owns thier jobs as much as a cop. Maybe a fireman or soldiers?

My personal feelings on the matter are that it's a job to me. Being a cop isn't my life, it FUNDS my life. Being a good husband/father is much more important to me than my work. Though I know quite a few guys on the job that put their family second, which is why there's such a high rate of divorce, and sucky kids in a cops life in my opinion.

I dunno....

How is it in your guys professions? I'm sure there are lawyers, accountants, computer geeks out there that their job is their life. What they get self esteem from, what they live to do?

Do you live to work or work to live? :dunno:

this one's for you NewbJr.

In my office Everybody's Working For the Weekend

Does this mean that Wiffle's job is a professional Azzhole? :pointstosky:

Ya Think? :ninja:

No, if I had to pick one thing that defines me it would have to be:

:pointstosky:

I'm an insurance agent. It does not define me.

Bad Hands?

I work to live, I don't live to work.

Someone asks me who I am, I say "Who am I? Who the fock are you?!?!??"

Your a focking loser insurance agent? :lol:

so am I

:wave:

Bad Hands?

Very bad.

Can I get a got a LaBatt's as a beer taster? :( Or maybe a taster at Smirnoff? :unsure: then I could live my work :dunno:

Can I get a got a LaBatt's as a beer taster?

:dunno:

Iam I am I am I am I am an Engineer

I can I can I can I can I can demolish 40 beers

Drink rum Drink rum Drink rum Drink rum and come along with us

For we don't give a danm for any danm man who don't give a danm for us!

Iam I am I am I am I am an Engineer

I can I can I can I can I can demolish 40 beers

Drink rum Drink rum Drink rum Drink rum and come along with us

For we don't give a danm for any danm man who don't give a danm for us!

OK! :headbanger:

Nope.

I have a coffee coaster at work that reads...."Never confuse having a job with having a life" If you don't heed it, then you may as well stay at work all the time.

If you look at it this way mmmmm...beer, who you are is why you are a cop, not the other way around.

FOCK THE POLICE :rolleyes:

go find the village people or the "Blue Oyster" and they'll accommodate your fantasy.

My job doesn't define my life yet, but it does seem like it could be heading that way. I don't have a family though so there isn't really a lot in the way of the job taking over.

go find the village people or the "Blue Oyster" and they'll accommodate your fantasy.

:pointstosky:

I know so many cops that the job defines who they are. You ask them who they are, "I'm a police officer." I don't know of another profession that owns thier jobs as much as a cop. Maybe a fireman or soldiers?

My personal feelings on the matter are that it's a job to me. Being a cop isn't my life, it FUNDS my life. Being a good husband/father is much more important to me than my work. Though I know quite a few guys on the job that put their family second, which is why there's such a high rate of divorce, and sucky kids in a cops life in my opinion.

I dunno....

How is it in your guys professions? I'm sure there are lawyers, accountants, computer geeks out there that their job is their life. What they get self esteem from, what they live to do?

Do you live to work or work to live? :thumbsdown:

There are a lot of firefighters who's job defines them but it tends to be the younger ones. They're the ones that will usually bring up the fact that they are a firefighter or have everything revolve around it. The older ones aren't as concerned as having people know they are a firefighter etc. They are more interested in family etc. Being a firefighter is just a job to them. But this is just a generalization.

So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life.

What about today? Is today the worst day of your life?

Yeah.

Wow, that's messed up.

:thumbsdown: :unsure: No, it does not, i really hope i can get a real job next summer when i am home.

After college though, it probably will define me more than anything.

I dunno....

Do you live to work or work to live? :thumbsdown:

I have 2 jobs. I think in many ways both of them define me. Being in charge of a distribution center that employs 350 people means I have to stay highly organized, keep my staff motivated and keep company assets in line defines much of who I am at home. And being a high school football coach where I am constantly mentoring, challenging and molding student athletes defines me at home as well. As a dad I am organized, motivated, providing and teaching my kids.

I have worked for the same company for 13 years so I do feel in many ways my job defines who I am as well it funds the lifestyle and future of my family.

There are a lot of firefighters who's job defines them but it tends to be the younger ones. They're the ones that will usually bring up the fact that they are a firefighter or have everything revolve around it. The older ones aren't as concerned as having people know they are a firefighter etc. They are more interested in family etc. Being a firefighter is just a job to them. But this is just a generalization.

This is the same for a lot of cops as well. Many people get into law enforcement, and the job consumes them. Then, they do the job for a few years and start to realize that it's just a job, just like anything else.

Me being a cop doesn't define me, but my personality and characteristics fit for my chosen profession, and I :thumbsup: what I do..

I am a dynamic figure, often seen scaling walls and crushing ice. I have been known to remodel train stations on my lunch breaks, making them more efficient in the area of heat retention. I translate ethnic slurs for Cuban refugees, I write award-winning operas, I manage time efficiently. Occasionally, I tread water for three days in a row.

I woo women with my sensuous and godlike trombone playing, I can pilot bicycles up severe inclines with unflagging speed, and I cook Thirty-Minute Brownies in twenty minutes. I am an expert in stucco, a veteran in love, and an outlaw in Peru.

Using only a hoe and a large glass of water, I once single-handedly defended a small village in the Amazon Basin from a horde of ferocious army ants. I play bluegrass cello, I was scouted by the Mets, I am the subject of numerous documentaries. When I'm bored, I build large suspension bridges in my yard. I enjoy urban hang gliding. On Wednesdays, after school, I repair electrical appliances free of charge.

I am an abstract artist, a concrete analyst, and a ruthless bookie. Critics worldwide swoon over my original line of corduroy evening wear. I don't perspire. I am a private citizen, yet I receive fan mail. I have been caller number nine and have won the weekend passes. Last summer I toured New Jersey with a traveling centrifugal-force demonstration. I bat .400. My deft floral arrangements have earned me fame in international botany circles. Children trust me.

I can hurl tennis rackets at small moving objects with deadly accuracy. I once read Paradise Lost, Moby ######, and David Copperfield in one day and still had time to refurbish an entire dining room that evening. I know the exact location of every food item in the supermarket. I have performed several covert operations for the CIA. I sleep once a week; when I do sleep, I sleep in a chair. While on vacation in Canada, I successfully negotiated with a group of terrorists who had seized a small bakery. The laws of physics do not apply to me.

I balance, I weave, I dodge, I frolic, and my bills are all paid. On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami. Years ago I discovered the meaning of life but forgot to write it down. I have made extraordinary four course meals using only a mouli and a toaster oven. I breed prizewinning clams. I have won bullfights in San Juan, cliff-diving competitions in Sri Lanka, and spelling bees at the Kremlin. I have played Hamlet, I have performed open-heart surgery, and I have spoken with Elvis.

I am a kind of professional treasure hunter/diver and it probably defines me to most people. Link I work at it 12 hrs/day. The first thing that people ask me is "any new finds?" then "how are you and the wife?"

We're defined by what we do. If we spend two-thirds of our waking hours at our jobs, then obviously as a matter of simple math our jobs are a major part of what defines us. It's natural to want to think otherwise, but that's crap.

Critics worldwide swoon over my original line of corduroy evening wear.

:thumbsup:

Wouldn't say it defines me (nor is it really a job :thumbsup:...student internship, well I'm technically working so I suppose it's a job). It's compatible with some of my strengths that also happen to interest me. Thinking about having my own business, but making $$ doesn't define me, the creativity and independence (even though I guess your wellbeing could get profoundly tied to the business's, so you're only happy if it's healthy) sounds appealing.

We're defined by what we do. If we spend two-thirds of our waking hours at our jobs, then obviously as a matter of simple math our jobs are a major part of what defines us. It's natural to want to think otherwise, but that's crap.

How is the lyering going in atl?

How is the lyering going in atl?

Left the law firm a year ago and went in-house at a hospital. So my self-definition improved a great deal since in theory I'm now saving lives instead of just billing big companies for my time. Not as fun as hunting dead sharks but then again what is. Hope all's well with you and yours.

I am a kind of professional treasure hunter/diver and it probably defines me to most people. Link I work at it 12 hrs/day. The first thing that people ask me is "any new finds?" then "how are you and the wife?"

Diving for extinct shark toofers AND fantasy football eh? :music_guitarred:

Holyshit dude...You can get almost $4k for a tooth??

http://www.megateeth.com/product.php?item=14711

Teach me this diving thing...