Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Who else wants to see Plax get at least 1 year in prison?

:lol:

I think Plax is more stupid than thug. I don't think he should go to jail. Probation and suspension from the NFL should be enough for him. In contrast I hope they never let Michael Vick out of jail.

He should get whatever the standard punishment is for a first time offender that accidently discharges a firearm in a public place. In other words he should not be treated any more harshly or lightly because he is famous.

I think if you took a peek at what a first time offender would get in the state of NY for this would be probation and community service. :lol:

:shank:

ya know.......it's a verb "to shank"

I think Plax is more stupid than thug.

His stupidity was established a long time ago...

Same dude who spiked the ball midfield after making a catch. Too bad he wasn't touched and it was a fumble. :lol:

I was excited when I heard about the mandatory 3.5 years in prison.

Plax's lawyer is the same guy that got Puffy Daddy off of a gun charge, so they changed the law. :(

It is really hard for to get too excited about anyone going to prison. Probation, community service, suspension and a heavy fine seem appropriate to me.

It is really hard for to get too excited about anyone going to prison.

Even thugs? :thumbsup:

He should get whatever the standard punishment is for a first time offender that accidently discharges a firearm in a public place.

:thumbsup:

I half heard something about the state of NY having a mandatory (3 year?) jail sentence for possession of an illegal firearm in a public place.

I didn't pay much attention.

To me, this is just another sports story that crossed over into the Tabloid category and at that point, I stop caring about it, it's garbage.

I have to say that I'm not very proud of the amount of slack I am ready to give Plax.

It admittedly does have something to do with my being a giant fan, but if you ask me, given the behavior of NFL players over the last few years, until Friday night, I didn't consider Plax to rank up there with the top idiot thugs employed by the NFL.

He's been lazy (late to meetings) and immature (shouting at an official, throwing the ball away) but he doesn't come off like some of the other completely unrepentant azzholz that have gotten their 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and sixth chances and still are allowed to make their millions.

The gun incident was unbelievably stupid. But he's not the repeat offender like pacman, the violent criminal like tank or the pathetic attention ###### who selfishly wrecks a team like TO or ocho. (funny, 3 cowboys on that list........)

The NYC gun laws are pretty strict, and I only hope that plax gets the same treatment that anyone else. Of course he won't. The best lawyers and gallons of cash will probably get him off with probation and service.

I am all for, he should get whatever the punishment is. I have also heard of the 3.5 mandatory, but once again, good lawyers and money get people like him off, which really pisses me off and shows how pathetic our judicial system is.

With that, if it is 3.5 years, he should get 3.5 years.

Not I.

I am quite sure Plax has people that depend on him - family, children, friends...He made a bad choice, that fortunately did not bring harm to anyone but himself.

That said, he should, and will, face the charges and be held accountable. Hopefully he does not see jail time, and can come out of this a better person.

Wishing someone to jail for a crime like this is really harsh...

As a gun owner and big supporter of the 2nd amendment, I absolutely would like to see him do jailtime, as I would any d!pshit who "accidentally" fires a handgun in a nightclub.

As a gun owner and big supporter of the 2nd amendment, I absolutely would like to see him do jailtime, as I would any d!pshit who "accidentally" fires a handgun in a nightclub.

whether it's Plax in a nightclub or the doofuses that let a 9 year old fire an UZI, these are the incidents that give the gun owners a bad name.

FILE UNDER: Police your own.

I'm glad to see that responsible gun owners would be even more annoyed by Plax's actions.

Dude, the idiot was flaunting his handgun in public and lost control of it was fumbling it around when it went off. There were innocent people in that club.

Protecting the public from stupid, careless, wreckless people like him are exactly what jails are for.

Not I.

I am quite sure Plax has people that depend on him - family, children, friends...He made a bad choice, that fortunately did not bring harm to anyone but himself.

That said, he should, and will, face the charges and be held accountable. Hopefully he does not see jail time, and can come out of this a better person.

dont you think he should have thought about this before hand? im sure he has enough money in bank for them. if dont punish him he will probably just keep being a dumb a$$. maybe a little jail time will teach him a lesson.

I was excited when I heard about the mandatory 3.5 years in prison.

+1

It means nothing to me either way but when a ghetto thug gets caught with his pecker in the justice system meat grinder, I laugh my azz off.

IMO he'll get suspended sentence and the NFL will suspend him for the rest of the year which he'd prolly miss anyway.

With Plax out, I picked up Kevin Boss to back up Winslow in case he's really hurt (ankle) or the 3rd string Cleveland QB sucks azz.

Alcohol and Firearms make a great combination.

ask Jayson Williams

Even thugs? :thumbsup:

What is a thug? As far as I can tell, it is just another label that depersonalizes a human being. The label allows us to characterize and judge the person based on our preconceptions.

I am in favor of appropriate punishment for behavior. Just my opinion that prison should be the punishment of last resort, not the first.

I hope he has to use all his $ to get try and get off and then is suspended permanently by the NFL. Trash like this POS should not have $.

Not so sure that his fame and money are gonna get him off this one:

Mayor Michael Bloomberg called for a full prosecution of state law that requires mandatory prison for carrying a loaded handgun.

"I don't think anybody should be exempt from that, and I think it would be an outrage if we didn't prosecute to the fullest extent of the law, particularly people who live in the public domain, make their living because of their visibility -- they're the role models for our kids," Bloomberg said.

Here's what will happen:

1. Burress will go to trial, however it won't be for awhile.

2. Giants will put him on IR, and attempt to get part of the signing bonus back.

3. They will cut him.

4. Burress will go to trial, without fanfare (and without the help of the Giant's front office), he'll be convicted and sentenced to real jail time.

5. He'll disappear into oblivion, which is where he should be.

When Bloomberg enters the picture, no way does the Giant's brass want to call favors in, especially with a brand new stadium built. The Giants will part ways with Burress, he'll no longer be with the team, and Bloomberg will see to it he's made an example of.

What is a thug? As far as I can tell, it is just another label that depersonalizes a human being. The label allows us to characterize and judge the person based on our preconceptions.

I am in favor of appropriate punishment for behavior. Just my opinion that prison should be the punishment of last resort, not the first.

If that were the case, NY lawmakers would have never implemented mandatory sentencing.

Sorry, but you don't get a pass for illegally carrying around a loaded weapon. No real second chances for the folks at the other end of the barrel.

This is from Adam Schefter's blog on NFL.com. Not sure what to make of it, but he is being told Burress won't face jail time. I still think he does, but we'll see:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adam Schefter

Tough not to like Burress’ chances

Posted: Adam Schefter | Adam Schefter | Tags: New York Giants, Plaxico Burress

Football has its prognosticators and so does the legal world.

They were out in front of the 17th precinct, on E. 51st Street, in New York City on Monday, when Giants wide receiver Plaxico Burress surrendered to authorities.

Burress walked into the precinct ay 8:03 a.m. ET — Tom Coughlin would have fined him for being three minutes late — and walked out shortly after 1 p.m., handcuffed.

The consensus of legal reporters and people with ties to the police department is that Burress ultimately will not go to jail, but will get hit with probation and a hefty fine to go along with community service.

Granted, New York’s gun control laws are as tough as they come. But Burress, by hiring attorney Benjamin Brafman — who defended Sean “Diddy” Combs on weapon charges and Michael Jackson during his child molestation trial — got the type of quality defense attorney only money could buy.

It’s like Burress going against a smaller cornerback — hard not to like his chances.

Brafman won’t be able to help Burress when the NFL is deciding how long to suspend him. Nor can he do anything about the Giants decision to pay or keep him.

But Burress has a decent shot to avoid jailtime.

This is from Adam Schefter's blog on NFL.com. Not sure what to make of it, but he is being told Burress won't face jail time. I still think he does, but we'll see:

Adam Schefter

They were out in front of the 17th precinct, on E. 51st Street, in New York City on Monday, when Giants wide receiver Plaxico Burress surrendered to authorities.

Burress walked into the precinct ay 8:03 a.m. ET — Tom Coughlin would have fined him for being three minutes late — and walked out shortly after 1 p.m., handcuffed.

The consensus of legal reporters and people with ties to the police department is that Burress ultimately will not go to jail, but will get hit with probation and a hefty fine to go along with community service.

Granted, New York’s gun control laws are as tough as they come. But Burress, by hiring attorney Benjamin Brafman — who defended Sean “Diddy” Combs on weapon charges and Michael Jackson during his child molestation trial — got the type of quality defense attorney only money could buy.

It’s like Burress going against a smaller cornerback — hard not to like his chances.

Brafman won’t be able to help Burress when the NFL is deciding how long to suspend him. Nor can he do anything about the Giants decision to pay or keep him.

Like I said previously, this is on Bloomberg's radar. I'm not sure if there is any public financing of the new stadium, but I would think the Giants don't want to pull strings to get their guy off and the expense of the mayor wearing egg on his face, in light of Bloomberg's comments to the press.

The fact that Burress pleaded not guilty leads me to believe his defense attorney already knows the sentencing, and it ain't prison time.

If that were the case, NY lawmakers would have never implemented mandatory sentencing.

Sorry, but you don't get a pass for illegally carrying around a loaded weapon. No real second chances for the folks at the other end of the barrel.

Not saying he should get a pass. Just saying that I do not think prison is the best punisnhment.

I live in California. We lock up more people than actually live in some states. It is bankrupting us.

Adam Schefter

Reading that now makes me not want him to go to jail but rather face the electric chair. Original or Extra crispy?

I wouldn't wish 42 months on any first time offender.

It'll be an interesting case. They made a big PR push after the NYC laws were passed (the law only applies in the five boroughs, not the rest of the state). Anyone who lives around here has seen the ads in the subways and on t.v.

Funny thing is, prosecution hasn't matched the tough talk. Especially in light of the Heller Supreme Court decision that knocked down the D.C. weapons law, the NYC DA office has been reluctant to seek the mandatory sentence guidelines.

I personally know two business owners who were busted for unlicensed handguns, and both got an Adjournment in Contemplation of Dismissal (e.g., ACD = stay clean for xx months, charges are expunged from your record).

Not saying he should get a pass. Just saying that I do not think prison is the best punisnhment.

I live in California. We lock up more people than actually live in some states. It is bankrupting us.

I live not far from Philadelphia, where cops have gotten murdered by criminals with guns. It's all relative.

Burress is being charged with the following:

S 265.03 Criminal possession of a weapon in the second degree.

23 A person is guilty of criminal possession of a weapon in the second

24 degree when:

EXPLANATION--Matter in ITALICS (underscored) is new; matter in brackets

{ } is old law to be omitted.

LBD07227-01-7

A. 3244 2

1 (1) with intent to use the same unlawfully against another, such

2 person:

3 (a) possesses a machine-gun; or

4 (:thumbsup: possesses a loaded firearm; or

5 © possesses a disguised gun; or

6 (D) COMMITS THE CRIME OF CRIMINAL POSSESSION OF A WEAPON IN THE THIRD

7 DEGREE AS DEFINED IN SUBDIVISION ONE, TWO, THREE, FIVE, SIX, SEVEN, OR

8 EIGHT OF SECTION 265.02 OF THIS ARTICLE AND SUCH CRIME TAKES PLACE ON

9 SCHOOL GROUNDS; OR

10 (2) such person possesses five or more firearms; or

11 (3) such person possesses any loaded firearm. Such possession shall

12 not, except as provided in subdivision one or seven of section 265.02 of

13 this article, constitute a violation of this subdivision if such

14 possession takes place in such person`s home or place of business.

15 Criminal possession of a weapon in the second degree is a class C

16 felony.

17 S 4. Section 265.04 of the penal law, as amended by chapter 764 of the

18 laws of 2005, is amended to read as follows:

19 S 265.04 Criminal possession of a weapon in the first degree.

20 A person is guilty of criminal possession of a weapon in the first

21 degree when such person:

22 (1) possesses any explosive substance with intent to use the same

23 unlawfully against the person or property of another; or

24 (2) possesses ten or more firearms{.}; OR

25 (3) COMMITS THE CRIME OF CRIMINAL POSSESSION OF A WEAPON IN THE SECOND

26 DEGREE AS DEFINED IN SUBDIVISION ONE OF SECTION 265.03 OF THIS ARTICLE

27 AND SUCH CRIME TAKES PLACE ON SCHOOL GROUNDS.

28 Criminal possession of a weapon in the first degree is a class B felo-

29 ny.

30 S 5. Section 265.12 of the penal law, as amended by chapter 764 of the

31 laws of 2005, is amended to read as follows:

32 S 265.12 Criminal sale of a firearm in the second degree.

33 A person is guilty of criminal sale of a firearm in the second degree

34 when such person:

35 (1) unlawfully sells, exchanges, gives or disposes of to another five

36 or more firearms; or

37 (2) unlawfully sells, exchanges, gives or disposes of to another

38 person or persons a total of five or more firearms in a period of not

39 more than one year{.}; OR

40 (3) COMMITS THE CRIME OF CRIMINAL SALE OF A FIREARM IN THE THIRD

41 DEGREE AS DEFINED IN SUBDIVISION ONE OR TWO OF SECTION 265.11 OF THIS

42 ARTICLE AND SUCH CRIME TAKES PLACE ON SCHOOL GROUNDS.

43 Criminal sale of a firearm in the second degree is a class C felony.

44 S 6. This act shall take effect on the first of November next succeed-

45 ing the date on which it shall have become a law.

http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A03244&sh=t

This bill took effect in January of last year.

Here's another very general link that also explains the laws.

http://www.criminaldefensefirm.com/topics/...possession.html

It'll be an interesting case. They made a big PR push after the NYC laws were passed (the law only applies in the five boroughs, not the rest of the state). Anyone who lives around here has seen the ads in the subways and on t.v.

Funny thing is, prosecution hasn't matched the tough talk. Especially in light of the Heller Supreme Court decision that knocked down the D.C. weapons law, the NYC DA office has been reluctant to seek the mandatory sentence guidelines.

I personally know two business owners who were busted for unlicensed handguns, and both got an Adjournment in Contemplation of Dismissal (e.g., ACD = stay clean for xx months, charges are expunged from your record).

With Bloomberg on record, do you still feel that they'll just let this one pass?

I don't know what Bloomberg's approval ratings are in NYC, but it would be really bad PR for him to say something then not back it up.

Very good information to now. Some friends of mine in the city told me the same thing today. I just think Plaxico needs to be treated like every citizen. If most 1st time offenders are getting jail time, then he needs to get jail time. The Giants and NFL stuff will be handled later. He'll play in the NFL again, but just not with the Giants.

With Bloomberg on record, do you still feel that they'll just let this one pass?

I don't know what Bloomberg's approval ratings are in NYC, but it would be really bad PR for him to say something then not back it up.

I think Bloomberg is a really smart guy. His statements were about the only thing he could have said that would have made sense politically.

Lucky for him, he doesn't have to prosecute the case.

The mandatory sentence is probably unconstitutional. Listen, I'm not saying it's not a good law, I just think the Heller decision has NYC painted into a corner.

So what they have been doing is prosecuting thugs and repeat offenders, while at the same time quietly plea bargaining first time offenders and otherwise solid citizens who do something dumb. Now they are faced with a high profile case that mandates seeking the mandatory sentence of 42 months. Problem is this could blow up in their face and the law gets thrown out.

But at this point, in a case that everyone is following, the DA (and Bloomberg) really have no other option except to charge him and take it to trial. That's my take, but I'm a CPA, not a lawyer...and my legal friends are all over the map on this one, so I think nobody really knows how it will play out.

+1

It means nothing to me either way but when a ghetto thug gets caught with his pecker in the justice system meat grinder, I laugh my azz off.

IMO he'll get suspended sentence and the NFL will suspend him for the rest of the year which he'd prolly miss anyway.

With Plax out, I picked up Kevin Boss to back up Winslow in case he's really hurt (ankle) or the 3rd string Cleveland QB sucks azz.

There is no age limit here?

Preconceptions?

I had no "preconception" of Burress until he decided he'd bring a hand cannon to a night club. He brought on the label of ghetto thug once he crossed that line. Don't make excuses for this idiot.

I say throw the fool in Jail and set the example for all kids growing up in America.

If they can throw Vick in Jail for Dog fighting, i would hope they would do the same for carrying a unlicensed loaded weapon and have it go off in a crowded night club in NYC.

THROW THEM ALL IN JAIL and TEAR HIM A NEW ONE WHILE HE'S IN THERE.

Blame the hip-hop culture and all the gangster rappers and musicians. They've been preach'n that Gangs are cool, 1 dollar hoes are cool, carrying an unlicensed hand gun are cool and firing it in a crowded NYC club are cool. Well folks, it's not.