Sign in to follow this  
Jarvis Basnight

Why are the Colts still throwing the ball?

Worried that the games not in hand? 31-9 with 4 minutes left and Nashville has already conceded with VY under center now.........and Peyton's still passing. WTF? :pointstosky:

Seriously, when Wayne dropped that last TD pass it looked like Peyton was going to go ballistic.

He's probably wanting to reclaim the single season TD record. :pointstosky:

Seriously, when Wayne dropped that last TD pass it looked like Peyton was going to go ballistic.

He's probably wanting to reclaim the single season TD record. :pointstosky:

I think it was the 5 straight 300 yard games one.

ETA: Check that. Dame asked about it and Peyton said not hardly.

Thats there MO. they never stop passing. Last week they were up 28-3 in the middle of the 4th quarter and was still passing. Not saying it wrong but thats what they do.

It make me happy that I own Wayne, but I really could have used that last dropped TD. :pointstosky:

If you had that running game, wouldnt' you do the same? Last thing you want as an Indy coach is to give game film of your already pathetic runners to future opponents!

It make me happy that I own Wayne, but I really could have used that last dropped TD. :overhead:

You and me both :pointstosky:

Worried that the games not in hand? 31-9 with 4 minutes left and Nashville has already conceded with VY under center now.........and Peyton's still passing. WTF? :pointstosky:

This is outrageous! How dare they play football when they are ahead by that much? Shameful!

This is outrageous! How dare they play football when they are ahead by that much? Shameful!

Playing football ?

There is a dangerous line between fine tuning your #1s, and increasing their probability of injury. (especially with a pissed of D getting pounded all game). All this when the W is already in the books, and there's another Sunday coming.

Andy Reid was getting ripped on Philly radio for this exact thing with McNabb still in the game, risking the ribs and not getting Vick more playing time.

Stupid, and playing with fire.

Playing football ?

There is a dangerous line between fine tuning your #1s, and increasing their probability of injury. (especially with a pissed of D getting pounded all game). All this when the W is already in the books, and there's another Sunday coming.

Stupid, and playing with fire.

Then why don't they just stop the games? Maybe they should have a practice squad that they can call in and finish up for them?

People complaining about a football team trying to score points need a new game. You should be happy with all your wimpy rules to protect the QB. I guess the game and the fans aren't what they used to be.

i don't care about peyton one way or the other...but i was mildly stunned when i watched him throw an attempted 50-yard bomb in the endzone with about 8 minutes left in the game and colts up a bazillion points.

wtf? that kind of karma can get your qb killed.

it would have been fitting if he had been drilled on that play.

Then why don't they just stop the games? Maybe they should have a practice squad that they can call in and finish up for them?

People complaining about a football team trying to score points need a new game. You should be happy with all your wimpy rules to protect the QB. I guess the game and the fans aren't what they used to be.

Did you not see Favre and Peterson on the sidlines in the 4th ?...it's all about money. If the stud goes down, so do the tickets, jerseys, etc.

I think you passed your cave dude.

the funniest thing about the whole thing is it's most likely not being brought up by someone who cares about the wellfare of these players, it's probably someone who's po'd because he's playing against manning and he wants the carnage to stop

Guys, thats what they do. The attack all game and then they attack some more. IMO they were sending a message to both their own team and the rest of the league.I know it's not always a popular thing to do but it get's your own team even more fired up and it plants seeds of doubt in their upcoming opponents minds.For the people out there who think that Peyton was doing it for the stats, get real.If it was about the stats then he would play a full 16 games each year instead of sitting week 17 when they have the division or the playoffs all wrapped up.

On a side-note, I ws hoping like hell they would just run the ball and eat the clock. I had Manning going but my opponent had Wayne..... I look to have eked out a 4 point victory, 140-136. You gotta love this game.

I think a better question is why was Fisher punting on 4 and 3 DOWN 31-9 in the mid-fourth quarter? As a fan of the game I'd much rather watch a good team keep playing than the losing team mailing it in.

Phurfur in the thread to remind everyone again of how he knows EVERYTHING! :overhead:

the funniest thing about the whole thing is it's most likely not being brought up by someone who cares about the wellfare of these players, it's probably someone who's po'd because he's playing against manning and he wants the carnage to stop

-I'm not too concerned about the welfare of the players since I didn't own any of them.

-I beat the Manning owner this week since I had a McNabb.

-The thread was just an attempt to stir the pot. :overhead:

Phurfur in the thread to remind everyone again of how he knows EVERYTHING! :overhead:

There is no right or wrong here. You like watching backups and a team packing it in at the end of the game and I don't.

-I'm not too concerned about the welfare of the players since I didn't own any of them.

-I beat the Manning owner this week since I had a McNabb.

-The thread was just an attempt to stir the pot. :overhead:

could you tell me the final score of your match?

ok, pot successfully stirred

There were multiple page threads about this when the Pats did it in 2007, but this will probably be a single pager.

Freaking hypocrites. :banana:

could you tell me the final score of your match?

ok, pot successfully stirred

I cannot since I don't know who's on these boards and don't want to give too much away. I can tell you in my league McNabb scored more than Peyton this week (6 point bonus for a passing td over 50 yards).

There were multiple page threads about this when the Pats did it in 2007, but this will probably be a single pager.

Freaking hypocrites. :banana:

Was I the only one watching the game, and the post-game interview with Manning??? And BTW, Brady and the Pats would line up 5 wide with 4 mins to go and throw 8 straight times to get a score.

The last possession of the Colts, they would run until they found themselves in a passing down (2nd and real long or 3rd and long). Manning said afterwards that at that point in the game, they were simply trying to run the clock out by picking up first downs to keep the clock moving. Notice how it wasn't Playaction passes to trick the DEFs, or 20+ yard throws. The 3-4 plays in which they did pass, it was a simply little 5 yard look in...Nothing harmless, not tryin to show up your opponents, just getting the first down, getting the game over with.

Did you not see Favre and Peterson on the sidlines in the 4th ?...it's all about money. If the stud goes down, so do the tickets, jerseys, etc.

I think you passed your cave dude.

Uhhhhh Peterson scored me a TD in the 4th quarter :banana:

atleast they are not going for it on 4th down when there up 28 and on the oppenents 5 yard line like the pats did. :overhead:

atleast they are not going for it on 4th down when there up 28 and on the oppenents 5 yard line like the pats did. :music_guitarred:

Did you want them to kick it?

Freaking hypocrites. :pointstosky:

Newsflash, the Patriots will still do it when they get the chance as do the Saints and some of the other good teams. It's not a crime, just a frame of mind.Some will like it while others dont. I personally like it for the most part, I dont want the guys to get hurt but I like the fact that they play hard for an entire 60 min. You play hard, you whoop somebody's @ss and let the next opponent know whats coming for them.

Newsflash, the Patriots will still do it when they get the chance as do the Saints and some of the other good teams. It's not a crime, just a frame of mind.Some will like it while others dont. I personally like it for the most part, I dont want the guys to get hurt but I like the fact that they play hard for an entire 60 min. You play hard, you whoop somebody's @ss and let the next opponent know whats coming for them.

You don't think the "next opponent" knows what's coming for them if the Colts put the beatdown on a team for the first 3 quarters, then bring in the backups ?

According to your logic here's what they say....

"No, not really. When we play them next week they're going to play the backups". :doublethumbsup:

Comments like this is exactly what makes us "fans", not the players and coaches that are in the game.

people always say the 07 pats ran up the score and now they are trying the same label on the 09 colts. Look, the titans could not stop manning at all.....blame should go to the titans defense for allowing manning to keep throwing and as a wise man says,,,,,,they are trying to finish the game. are the colts supposed to keep taking negative yards and move backwards juse because the titans cant stop anyone?

You don't think the "next opponent" knows what's coming for them if the Colts put the beatdown on a team for the first 3 quarters, then bring in the backups ?

According to your logic here's what they say....

"No, not really. When we play them next week they're going to play the backups". :thumbsdown:

Comments like this is exactly what makes us "fans", not the players and coaches that are in the game.

No, I did'nt mean it like that.I was speaking to the idea that these guys play till the bell sounds, an entire 60 minutes of tough football. I know it should be that way every game for every team but it does'nt happen. Too many teams play 3 quarters of good football and then try and coast for the rest of the game, most of the time it works out but there are those games where you coast only to find the opponent coming back and you cant just flip the switch and play good again, does'nt work that way.

Maybe you dont have as much of a competitive side to you, nothing at all wrong with that as there's no right or wrong answer here, I am ultra-competitive and I believe you play till the bell, if that means passing the ball every now and again then so be it.

edit to say.... I do get fired up talking about football, take some of what I say about whooping @ss and such with a grain of salt.I love Peyton and watching that game last night still has me pumped up, I know it was tough for Titan fans but it was awesome to watch as a fan of Peyton.

No, I did'nt mean it like that.I was speaking to the idea that these guys play till the bell sounds, an entire 60 minutes of tough football. I know it should be that way every game for every team but it does'nt happen. Too many teams play 3 quarters of good football and then try and coast for the rest of the game, most of the time it works out but there are those games where you coast only to find the opponent coming back and you cant just flip the switch and play good again, does'nt work that way.

Maybe you dont have as much of a competitive side to you, nothing at all wrong with that as there's no right or wrong answer here, I am ultra-competitive and I believe you play till the bell, if that means passing the ball every now and again then so be it.

I understand what you're saying and that's the easy answer. The tougher battle NFL coahes have to deal with is injuries over a 17 week season. That 4 quarters is 68 quarters.

What if you can trip some quarters off ?....say average 1 every other week ? What can that mean to a team going in to the postseason VS another team having the mileage/time/pounding of 4 full quarter football games ?

If you think coaches are more worried about impressing the NFL, versus getting through the games injuryfree, you are a fan of the game....don't forget your foamy finger. :thumbsdown:

Freaking hypocrites. :thumbsdown:

There will never be any confusion between Brady and Manning as far as stat-grubbing goes.

Brady ran up the score game after game against the weakest schedule in NFL history just to break the record.

When Manning broke the record, he did it in the course of normal play. Coulda broken it against the Ravens in the redzone at the end of the game... but took a knee. Coulda run up the record another 3-4 TD's to put it out of reach of anyone in the last game of the year but sat out because it was a meaningless game.

Sorry... but Brady proved in the 07 season that he only wanted to break the record.

Peyton loves the stats.

Lame.

/thread

Peyton has always been a stat wh0re. First and goal from the 2... Peyton throws 3 passes.

First and goal from the 2... Peyton throws 3 passes.

Is this why Indy's OL is so horrible at run blocking and so good a pass blocking? B/c that's how the boss likes/demands it?

/thread

Peyton has always been a stat wh0re. First and goal from the 2... Peyton throws 3 passes.

Have you seen the Colts run??? I'm a diehard fan, and our OLine has sucked for about 5-6 years (minus our SuperBowl run). And Manning is a very efficient passer in the red zone. The strength of the Colts is Manning, Wayne, Clark, and this year Collie and Garcon...not our run-blocking OLine and our soft Joseph Addai. So all of a sudden Manning is a stat ######??? :thumbsdown:

Have you seen the Colts run??? I'm a diehard fan, and our OLine has sucked for about 5-6 years (minus our SuperBowl run). And Manning is a very efficient passer in the red zone. The strength of the Colts is Manning, Wayne, Clark, and this year Collie and Garcon...not our run-blocking OLine and our soft Joseph Addai. So all of a sudden Manning is a stat ######??? :thumbsdown:

As I posted in the reply above this one, could that be by design? Indy doesn't draft typical stud OT's or road grading guards. I don't think Peyton really cares if they have a good rushing OL. I think Peyton wants an OL that will keep him upright and that running the ball is a necessary evil to try and keep defenses honest and set up the play action pass.

And what Peyton wants, Peyton gets.

As I posted in the reply above this one, could that be by design? Indy doesn't draft typical stud OT's or road grading guards. I don't think Peyton really cares if they have a good rushing OL. I think Peyton wants an OL that will keep him upright and that running the ball is a necessary evil to try and keep defenses honest and set up the play action pass.

And what Peyton wants, Peyton gets.

This might be true, but you would think the play action wouldn't be so effective if this was 100% accurate. It's probably a combination of this and what kmbryant said. As a Michigan fan I love Tom brady, so I'm probably a bit biased!

Either way, how easy must it be to OC this team? (Jim Caldwell to Tom Moore) "what's your game plan for today?" (Tom Moore) "I was thinking we let Peyton Manning run the offense" (Jim Caldwell) "Good plan!"