Sign in to follow this  
NorthernVike

Burgers

Fock pizza, it's grillin' season. What's your tips/recipes for making the best burgers on the ol' grill?

I'm a purest. Good quality meat from the butcher, not pre-packaged shiot from wal-mart, kosher salt and pepper. Grilled med-rare with cheddar, topped with bacon. A little ketchup and some mayo on the bun :shocking:

And when I have it on hand...Elk burgers >>> hamburgers :lol:

Im easy, patty up some ground beef with Liptons onion mix.. Good as it gets.

Liptons does the work so I dont have to.

I mix some Lea and Perrins in with the ground beef, makes the burgers tasty.

And I don't think mayo belongs on a burger.

And I don't think mayo belongs on a burger.

Agreed. Nor does ketchup.

This is the best Hamburger recipe I've ever had. From Luchow's German Cookbook. Truly awesome

Luchow Hamburger

3 pounds beef

½ pound veal kidney fat or beef suet

4-5 Slices white bread soaked in a little water

1 ½ teaspoons salt

½ teaspoon pepper

¼ teaspoon nutmeg

2 eggs, beaten

Mix meat and fat. Squeeze as much water as possible from bread. Add bread to the meat; mix smoothly. Add seasonings and eggs. Combine well. Shape in large patties. Broil or cook in a little fat in a hot pan until browned and done as desired.

Serves 8.

Agreed. Nor does ketchup.

Then what the fock do you put on your burgers? :thumbsdown:

Also, I'm looking for a good Corn on Cobb BBQ recipe. Guy Fieri of the Foot Network had a good one awhile back with butter cumin cayenne cilantro and a few other ingredients, but I can't seem to find it online.

Cooked up 3# of burgers yesterday evening. Got em a bit overdone. Still great. It's all about the quality of the meat.

Also, I'm looking for a good Corn on Cobb BBQ recipe. Guy Fieri of the Foot Network had a good one awhile back with butter cumin cayenne cilantro and a few other ingredients, but I can't seem to find it online.

Is it this one?

Ingredients

2 tablespoons butter

1 tablespoon ground cumin

1 tablespoon paprika

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves

Salt

Freshly ground black pepper

4 corn on the cob

Queso fresco cheese

Lime wedges

Directions

Heat oven to 375 degrees F.

Combine the butter, cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper, cilantro, salt and pepper, to taste.

Rub corn with the butter mixture. Wrap in foil and put in the oven. Cook for 20 to 25 minutes. Unwrap from foil, top with queso fresco and a squeeze of lime. Serve immediately.

fude tv

Is it this one?

fude tv

That looks to be the one. Schweet!

:thumbsdown:

Then what the fock do you put on your burgers? :thumbsdown:

I use varios types of mustards and sauces. Depending on the burger, sometimes nothting at all. Ketchup is for french fries, meatloafs, and bbq sauces. :rolleyes:

If you're gonna eat a burger then eat a burger. Don't get the lean beef like that 93/7 stuff. 80/20 is the way to go. The fat makes the juice. If you do that you don't need all that other stuff. Lil salt, lil pepper, that's it.

If you're gonna eat a burger then eat a burger. Don't get the lean beef like that 93/7 stuff. 80/20 is the way to go. The fat makes the juice. If you do that you don't need all that other stuff. Lil salt, lil pepper, that's it.

I like me some garlic salt. :thumbsdown:

I use varios types of mustards and sauces. Depending on the burger, sometimes nothting at all. Ketchup is for french fries, meatloafs, and bbq sauces. :thumbsdown:

Well then, let us know what kind of sauces. I'm looking for tips here :mad:

:rolleyes:

I'm a purest. Good quality meat from the butcher, not pre-packaged shiot from wal-mart, kosher salt and pepper. Grilled med-rare

Even getting it from a butcher, eating a burger med-rare is gross. Who wants a blood soaked pink bun when eating a burger.

It doesn't make you manly to eat a burger med-rare. Now a Steak (filet) med-rare is the way to go, but a burger has to be at least medium to medium well. Warm, cooked, very slightly pink center. You don't wanna cook your burgers all the way through and make hockey pucks, but you don't freaking want to eat a med-rare burger with blood running down your elbow either. That's nasty.

Even getting it from a butcher, eating a burger med-rare is gross. Who wants a blood soaked pink bun when eating a burger.

It doesn't make you manly to eat a burger med-rare. Now a Steak (filet) med-rare is the way to go, but a burger has to be at least medium to medium well. Warm, cooked, very slightly pink center. You don't wanna cook your burgers all the way through and make hockey pucks, but you don't freaking want to eat a med-rare burger with blood running down your elbow either. That's nasty.

Completely disagree. Rare to Med Rare is the best way to go. Same as with steak.

Soak the corn with husk on for an hour in water. Cook with the husk on then carefully pull back husk and tie together at bottom. Remove silk. Then baste with garlic butter. Remove from grill and squeeze a little fresh lime juice on it. Delicious!

I use varios types of mustards and sauces. Depending on the burger, sometimes nothting at all. Ketchup is for french fries, meatloafs, and bbq sauces. :rolleyes:

You don't put ketchup on your burgers but you put it on your meatloaf? WTF? :rolleyes:

Completely disagree. Rare to Med Rare is the best way to go. Same as with steak.

When it's brown, it's cooking.

When it's black, it's done. :banana:

When it's brown, it's cooking.

When it's black, it's done. :thumbsdown:

We're talking about burgers here. Not Jews. :nono:

2lbs Ground Beef. None of that lean sh!t, real beef.

one finely minced onion

one clove minced garlic

one bottle worscesire sauce (How the fock do you spell that?)

Put all aforementioned ingredients in a bowl. Mash together with your hands. Make pattys. Grill to taste. Melt one slice pepper jack, and one slice cheddar on each patty. Put on onion roll. Garnish to taste.

this is fairly accurate advice.

I say fairly because there's a bit more to the 80/20 story... see, they used to label the ground meat "Chuck", "Sirloin", "Round", etc but there is NO WAY to prove that you used Chuck or Sirloin or Round to make that hamburger, so they switched to percentages of fat instead to avoid any issues with false advertising.

Bottom line is that you do want something about 80/20 but grinding something from the CHUCK is ideal.

Chuck Steaks, blade steaks, shoulder steaks, even the larger end of the Rib make the tastiest hamburger stock (though the shoulder and blade is very lean).

Minced onion

salt

pepper

heat (paprika, cayenne/red pepper, minced jalepenos)

worsichster

Sometimes i'll put a lil square of butter in the middle and reform the pattty to have it in the middle. Or put a thin coat of bbq sauce.

Cheese: I don't think it matters. Most cheeses go good. I happen to like pepperjack the best but cheddar is a solid choice as well.

Sauce: I go with mayo and mustard. I'm a fan of mayo and even like it on hot dogs. I usually go with a simple yellow mustard.

Toppings: Onions, tomatoes, romaine lettuce are the requirements. Others can include jalepenos (fresh or bottled), bacon, onion rings, and maybe a few others i'm forgetting.

Bread: I don't have much of preference of one bread over another. But it definitely has to be toasted.

one finely minced onion

one clove minced garlic

Put all aforementioned ingredients in a bowl. Mash together with your hands. Make pattys. Grill to taste. Melt one slice pepper jack, and one slice cheddar on each patty. Put on onion roll. Garnish to taste.

burgers, not meatloaf

:thumbsup:

80/20....cook a little bacon about 3/4 done (not all the way crisp)...cut up into tiny bits and mix it in with the ground beef.

Season with salt and fresh ground pepper.

Grill to a medium rare.

Top with a small bit of compound garlic butter while its finishing...add cheese (whatever you like).

Great also to top with some sauteed mushrooms.

80/20....cook a little bacon about 3/4 done (not all the way crisp)...cut up into tiny bits and mix it in with the ground beef.

Season with salt and fresh ground pepper.

Grill to a medium rare.

Top with a small bit of compound garlic butter while its finishing...add cheese (whatever you like).

Great also to top with some sauteed mushrooms.

A little to fu-fu for me... Mixing up bacon bits into the patty is more work and nothing better than a few slices on top... Its all about the medium rare-ness... if you don't cook it right, it don't matter whats mixed in...

And the term compound garlic butter used in a burger grilling thread is making me upset...

I got some sliced candied jalepenos at the overpriced market that are excellent on burgers, bit of sweetness, then hotness... quality mustard of your choice, and its done...

when i am just quickly doing burgers.... ususally just some bacon, cheese, and bbq sauce. when i have a little more time:

one finely minced onion

one clove minced garlic

i do something similar:

2 #'s of ground beef

1 minced onion

1/2 # of minced mushrooms

1 bunch of green onion, chopped

1 egg

saute the onions and mushrooms in butter. add salt and pepper. let cool. combine everything in a mixing bowl.... form patties and cook.

4 slices of gouda

4 slices of bacon

2 #'s of meat

dice bacon. cook until crisp. set aside using a slotted spoon. add bacon and cheese. can use that bacon fat to saute diced mushrooms, onions, peppers, etc if you desire. add to mixture when cool. form 1/2 patties from your meat. put some (1-2 tbs) of mixture on one patty. cover with another and seal the edges. cook.

3. burgers with bernaise and fried onions

The medium rare hamburger carnivores obviously are ignorant to the term ecoli.

http://www.about-ecoli.com/

What a poosay. Get your panties out of a bunch :thumbsup:

The medium rare hamburger carnivores obviously are ignorant to the term ecoli.

http://www.about-ecoli.com/

Watch "Food Inc."

documentary thats pretty good... Almost similar to that book 'the jungle' about Chicago meatpacking in the 20's\

interesting how the food industry is shielded from the public

What a poosay. Get your panties out of a bunch :thumbsup:

Do you enjoy sopping up the blood off the plate with your bun? That sounds tasty.