Sign in to follow this  
djrockstar

Matt Lienart

Matt Leinart will emerge from the shadow of his HOF bound quarterback much like Aaron Rodgers emerged from the shadow of his HOF bound quarterback in 2008. Discuss. :bandana:

I'd say - not even to a small extent on ANY level.

What evidence exactly do you base that premise on? I love to chew up people who post "predictions" without supporting evidence. IMO Lienart is among the projected starters most likely to lose their job.

Listen: I have a friend in AZ who has gone to some of the Cardinal days of training camp. My friend could not believe how bad he has looked so far, and flat-out predicts that Anderson will be the starter on opening day. I also follow the AZ beat writers. NONE of the beat writer reports have been favorable either. Even Whisenhunt has backed off from his pre-camp confidence in Leinart as the starter, now calling it an "open competition".

From CBSSports' Craig Morton's camp notes (today Aug 7th): "QB Derek Anderson looked sharper than QB Matt Leinart in the Red-White Practice. Leinart threw an INT and missed on three deep balls. Anderson led the offense to 10 points and showed off his arm strength on a pair of crossing patterns."

Who is the QB most likely to follow the Aaron Rodgers trajectory? This one is obvious: Kevin Kolb.

Matt Leinart will emerge from the shadow of his HOF bound quarterback much like Aaron Rodgers emerged from the shadow of his HOF bound quarterback in 2008. Discuss. :bandana:

I just don't share the optimism, and I was all over Rodgers when he took over for Favre.

Leinart does share the facts with Rodgers that he is taking over for a big-name QB and is moving into a favorable offense, but I just don't think Leinart has the talent. I had Fitzgerald when Leinart started the season a few years back (so i watch him thoroughly), and Leinart was slow in the pocket and his passes did not have a zip on them...maybe things have changed since then, but I have no confidence in him.

The guy that I think will emerge on the scene much like Rodgers is Kevin Kolb.

Lienart is no Rodgers.

However, time will tell if he actually learned anything from the great one. If so...he has a chance as a great QB2 or, best case schenario, low end QB1.

If not.............he busts.

QB Matt Leinart is in no danger of losing the starting job to newcomer Derek Anderson. There has been a lot of handwringing among Cardinals fans about how Leinart will fare following the retirement of Kurt Warner, but the 2006 first-round pick has outperformed Anderson and will have to fall on his face to be pulled from the lineup. That's not going to happen. Coaches and teammates say Leinart had a good offseason and has picked up where he left off.

"To be honest with you, Matt has really jumped out at me," said Wilson. "He's been a much more vocal leader. He wasn't like that in the past. The quarterback position is the head position; everybody looks up to it. Matt wasn't just thrown in that spot, he had to wait a while. I think he's really matured and it's showing. If he misses on a ball, he knows it's his fault and not the receiver's fault. That's just something he has really grown into."

Leinart is even showing some of his Heisman-like swagger. During practice Monday he threw a skinny post to Larry Fitzgerald that left the receiver exposed to a potentially devastating hit from Wilson, who was the deep safety. Wilson pulled off and allowed Fitzgerald to make the catch and proceed downfield. When the offense and defense changed sides of the field after the drill was over, Leinart stopped Wilson and said: "I know you could have killed him. But I've been dropping bombs on y'alls ass all day."

"To me that says that he's competing and wants to get better and he wants to win," said Wilson, chuckling. "He's definitely confident in his ability, and we're behind him. That's one thing he really needs to understand. We're behind him 100 percent."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/jim_trotter/08/04/cardinals.postcard/index.html

0% chance of Anderson being the starter unless Leinart gets hurt.

Leinart has played pretty well and you can see it in his interviews even. He's got his confidence back and is looking forward to this year. The problem Leinart has isn't his ability, his teammates, coaching....it's the fans. For whatever reason the fans don't want him. When you hear negative comments it's not from Whisenhunt or anyone else in the Zona coaching staff. Leinart will start and do pretty well.

Will he be Aaron Rodgers, no chance. Rodgers is in a pass happy offense and has the personel to pull it off. Leinart is coached by Whisenhunt/Grimm....two guys who have had the ultimate success in the NFL by running the ball. Make no mistake about it, the goal of the Cardinals is to be a run oriented team. Leinart should be a solid starter for the Cards over the next several years. He simply needs to manage games, much like Roethlisberger, Henne....just don't lose the game.

So, I guess I'm in the middle on this one. He's not gonna lose his job, but he's not gonna be in an offense to turn into Aaron Rodgers.

People saying ARZ will run more this year are correct. Only HOF Warner would make KenWizy throw that much and with two competent backs they will even out the run/pass ratios this year to make up for the lack of passing acumen. I think Hightower is undervalued in ppr leagues as a late round RB, as everyone expected Wells to supplant him but he never did last year (and the same people are currently doing it again). I think Anderson takes over in week 7 after a week 5 loss at home to NO leaves the Cards at 2-3 (winning only OAK & STL games) and thereafter DA provides the arm that Fitz & Breaston need. Cards finish 8-8.

I'm not reading the other posts. The thing is, Leinart HAD the starting job, and lost it to Warner.

Plus I don't think Leinart is the student that Rodgers is/was.

Food for thought. Here's rookie stats for Lienart and Stafford. I'm throwing Aikman's in there for yuks. Was Lienarts rookie year all that bad?

LIENART 12 games 74.0 QB rating 214 of 377 passing 56.8% complete 2547 yards 212.3 ypg 11TD 12INT 22 sacks

STAFFORD 10 games 61.0 QB rating 201 of 377 passing 53.3% complete 2267 yards 226.7 ypg 13TD 20INT 20 sacks

AIKMAN 11 games 55.7 QB rating 155 of 293 passing 52.9% complete 1749 yards 159.0 ypg 9TD 18INT 19 sacks

Lienart inherited a better team than Stafford ... but not by much. The Cards had gone 5-11 the previous season.

Rodgers, Cassel, Romo, and Schaub ... just a few recent QB's to emerge BETTER after having sat behind an elite QB for several years. Rodgers ADP his first real year as a starter was in the 12+ rounds and Lienart is a similar high value pick with an ADP of around 150th overall.

Sure, Lienart is a douche. I agree that he didn't impress out of the blocks like Flacco or Ryan. But not every great QB breaks into the NFL like Peyton Manning (see Aikman). I think there's some upside to Lienart that is really being overlooked, in the same way that Rodgers was overlooked in 2008. It's a contract year for Lienart. He inherits an offense that is now firing on all cylinders. He has a greatly improved offensive line than his rookie season and two complimentary running backs. He plays in a weak division. He got to watch and learn under a future Hall of Famer for the last two years. I think his ceiling is WAY higher than other QB's being drafted around him and a chip on his shoulder to prove himself now. Lienart is a terrific late round flyer with huge upside and terrific keeper potential.

the main difference i see here is: the packers developed rodgers and, once he was ready, they just about ran brett favre out of town.

zona, otoh, would roll out the red carpet for warner to return.

i actually own leinart in a dynasty so i PRAY he ends up good, but i'm not optimistic

Put the pipe down son.

While I expect Leinart to be better, those kind of expectations are a bit lofty.

What evidence exactly do you base that premise on? I love to chew up people who post "predictions" without supporting evidence. IMO Lienart is among the projected starters most likely to lose their job.

Listen: I have a friend in AZ who has gone to some of the Cardinal days of training camp. My friend could not believe how bad he has looked so far, and flat-out predicts that Anderson will be the starter on opening day. I also follow the AZ beat writers. NONE of the beat writer reports have been favorable either. Even Whisenhunt has backed off from his pre-camp confidence in Leinart as the starter, now calling it an "open competition".

From CBSSports' Craig Morton's camp notes (today Aug 7th): "QB Derek Anderson looked sharper than QB Matt Leinart in the Red-White Practice. Leinart threw an INT and missed on three deep balls. Anderson led the offense to 10 points and showed off his arm strength on a pair of crossing patterns."

Who is the QB most likely to follow the Aaron Rodgers trajectory? This one is obvious: Kevin Kolb.

Did I call it for you guys early (Aug 7)?

This was BEFORE Leinart's ugly performance tonite:

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that "the door has been opened" for Matt Leinart to lose his starting job.

"There's not a lot of confidence in that locker room that Leinart is going to be their long-term quarterback," says Schefter. Schefter names Derek Anderson as the Cardinals' most likely alternative, though Anderson has also done nothing dating back to OTA season (or 2007, for that matter) to earn any degree of trust. We do expect Leinart to start in Week 1, but Monday night's preseason game, as well as the third week of the exhibition season, will go a long way toward determining what sort of leash he's on.

feel bad for Breaston an Fitz as neither will be able to do what they could with even a decent QB -- most teams back ups are better than Leinart or DA

He just really looks disinterested...

Watch the guy on the field. That will tell you all you need to know. He just doesn't have the desire or the will to be great. He won't even be good, IMO. If he makes it 4 games, I'd be surprised. Plus, he can't throw for ######!

:lol:

Derek Anderson 2010

John Skelton 2011

Bit of an over-reaction???

I'm not saying the guy is going to be great, or even good. But listen to yourselves.

His offensive line gave him NOTHING. Nothing in the running game, and no pass protection.

He was missing one of the most talented WR's in the game (Larry Fitzgerald) who will be healthy for the regular season.

He was also missing the closest thing to a Boldin-replacement...3rd WR Early Doucet.

He also took all of his snaps with the inferior RB (Hightower) - I suspect Beanie Wells sees much more time than him.

He still completed 4 of 6 passes...albeit for only 26 yards. But your really going to call for his job after 9 snaps given these circumstances?

Tough crowd :thumbsdown:

I'm not saying the guy is going to be great, or even good. But listen to yourselves.

His offensive line gave him NOTHING. Nothing in the running game, and no pass protection.

He was missing one of the most talented WR's in the game (Larry Fitzgerald) who will be healthy for the regular season.

He was also missing the closest thing to a Boldin-replacement...3rd WR Early Doucet.

He also took all of his snaps with the inferior RB (Hightower) - I suspect Beanie Wells sees much more time than him.

He still completed 4 of 6 passes...albeit for only 26 yards. But your really going to call for his job after 9 snaps given these circumstances?

Anderson, who is no great shakes, led the same team up and down the field, putting points on the board, against the same defense.

Leinart was unable to gain a first down.

Live in PHX (NOT an AZ fan) and have followed the local news on this all camp. Nobody close to the team sees it in Leinart. Nobody.

Cards will be fortunate to win 7 games.

They aren't trying to figure out who's going to run the ball, they want to know who's going to step up and be the QB. I think they called 2:1 pass plays (at least it seemed like it). The fact that DA got the ball down the field, even with the INTs, along with Lienart's reactions on the field and on the sidelines, says a lot to me. I do think not having Fitz and Doucet made it tough, but DA showed it wasn't impossible. I think Hightower was in because he's a better pass blocker. For me, it all boiled down to Lienart's command of the personnel around him. He can't be a leader with that body language, he can't instill any confidence in anyone the way he played and the way he acted. For me, even more than the fact DA did something (hell, even throwing picks), is why Lienart isn't going to make it.

Anderson, who is no great shakes, led the same team up and down the field, putting points on the board, against the same defense.

Leinart was unable to gain a first down.

Live in PHX (NOT an AZ fan) and have followed the local news on this all camp. Nobody close to the team sees it in Leinart. Nobody.

Cards will be fortunate to win 7 games.

Anderson put up 3 points...so don't go acting like he was a point-producing monster.

They aren't trying to figure out who's going to run the ball, they want to know who's going to step up and be the QB. I think they called 2:1 pass plays (at least it seemed like it). The fact that DA got the ball down the field, even with the INTs, along with Lienart's reactions on the field and on the sidelines, says a lot to me. I do think not having Fitz and Doucet made it tough, but DA showed it wasn't impossible. I think Hightower was in because he's a better pass blocker. For me, it all boiled down to Lienart's command of the personnel around him. He can't be a leader with that body language, he can't instill any confidence in anyone the way he played and the way he acted. For me, even more than the fact DA did something (hell, even throwing picks), is why Lienart isn't going to make it.

I agree that Anderson looked pretty good. But Leinart didn't even have the chance to throw downfield. There were a few plays that he even did a good job to get rid of the ball right as he was being hit...

I think they gave Hightower 3 or 4 rushes during Leinart's stint, and he gained 0 yards. Thats awful.

Don't you think it's hard to lead a team, in week 2 of the pre-season, getting 9 snaps, without your 1st & 3rd WR's, without your #1 RB, and with a line that couldn't block my aunts & uncles last night? I know his body language "wasn't that of a leader" - but was Anderson's?? Doubtful.

I'm a diehard Colts fan - and on Thursday night Peyton Manning didn't have his "intense, game-face, leadership" game face on...I'm not worried. BECAUSE IT'S A HANDFUL OF PLAYS IN THE PRESEASON WITHOUT SOME OF YOUR TOP WEAPONS.

:lol:

Derek Anderson 2010

John Skelton 2011

This.

John Skelton will be a good NFL QB. 6'5" 250, HUGE arm... just the kind of guy you want in the pocket.

Is this a bold prediction thread? Not a snowballs chance, and as a titans fan watching the monday night game, I will probably remove fitz from my draft board unless their is extreme value.

Got to say I like how you trash the guy without giving supporting evidence (I agree), but then do the same thing with Kolb (though I also agree).

I also agree on Derek Anderson. Fitz needs Anderson to be the start to remain among the few very elite WR.

This.

John Skelton will be a good NFL QB. 6'5" 250, HUGE arm... just the kind of guy you want in the pocket.

Actually, the best QB on the team may be... Max Hall, undrafted rookie out of BYU. Not the physical specimen of a Skelton, but he just has "it." In a few years, remember you heard it here first. :music_guitarred:

Anyway, I'm on the fence with Leinart now. On the one hand he had nothing to work with last night, on the other hand I would like to have seen his body language be more of a leader.

The likelihood is that Whis will roll with Leinart. Years ago, he made a similar choice over Warner and his risk/reward, because he preferred the safe game-manager approach vs. gunslinging. I can see a progression where, if Leinart does not perform during the season, Anderson is brought in for packages much as Warner was for the no-huddle. If Anderson performs well (adequately?), he could get the gig. I don't think anyone confuses Anderson for Warner though.

Actually, the best QB on the team may be... Max Hall, undrafted rookie out of BYU. Not the physical specimen of a Skelton, but he just has "it." In a few years, remember you heard it here first. :music_guitarred:

Anyway, I'm on the fence with Leinart now. On the one hand he had nothing to work with last night, on the other hand I would like to have seen his body language be more of a leader.

The likelihood is that Whis will roll with Leinart. Years ago, he made a similar choice over Warner and his risk/reward, because he preferred the safe game-manager approach vs. gunslinging. I can see a progression where, if Leinart does not perform during the season, Anderson is brought in for packages much as Warner was for the no-huddle. If Anderson performs well (adequately?), he could get the gig. I don't think anyone confuses Anderson for Warner though.

Yah, I did a little research on Hall before my recent dynasty rookie draft. Kid scored like a 48 or 49 on the wonderlic. Something insane. That doesn't always translate to on the field success (Alex Smith)... but it's usually a good sign. Most of the top QB's in the league scored a 30+ (Brady, Schaub, Rivers, Rodgers, Romo, etc).

Puff, Puff..... Pass

I'll be really surprised if Derek Anderson doesn't end up starting at some point. Dude's got a head full of rocks, but he's huge (6'6, 235), has a cannon for an arm and he's a mad bomber. More importantly, he's shown that he can put together a few good starts at a time, something that Leinart has thus far failed to do. For fantasy purposes they're both useless until further notice.