Sign in to follow this  
DEEZNUTS

Tell my why Ray Rice is a top 5 pick

I'm in a non ppr league where yardage and TD's are the only thing we get points for, can someone please talk me into drafting Ray Rice at #6? Based on the guys in my league, I'm pretty certain he'll fall to me at #6. Every projection shows he'll have 1500+ total yards, but TD projections are low. There are several guys who are projected to have more TD's and similar yardage who will be available (Gore, Shonn Green, SJAX, etc).

Any thoughts on why Rice is so highly rated? Maybe I'm missing something.

I'm in a non ppr league where yardage and TD's are the only thing we get points for, can someone please talk me into drafting Ray Rice at #6? Based on the guys in my league, I'm pretty certain he'll fall to me at #6. Every projection shows he'll have 1500+ total yards, but TD projections are low. There are several guys who are projected to have more TD's and similar yardage who will be available (Gore, Shonn Green, SJAX, etc).

Did you see him play last year??

He will be running behind a great offensive line (even if Gaither doesn't play) and has new additions to the WR corps which will give him even more room to run. Taking him at 6 in a non-ppr league would be tough, but you could do much worse. I think his TD's increase in 2010 and he finishes the year with at least 10. Boldin provides them with a physical WR in the Red Zone, which means opposing defenses will have to account for him, leaving Rice more room to run. With only D. Mason, the line of scrimmage was always stacked inside the 10 last season because he was the only WR they had to worry about. That won't be the case this season.

There is always the slight chance McGahee gets traded too, which would put Rice in the discussion for the top overall spot in ppr leagues and a top 3 in non-ppr leagues. Either way, I would take him at 6 overall and be very comfortable with my decision.

Who's projecting SJax to have more TDs? Plays on a horrible offense, and hasn't had double digit TDs in 4 years - had 4 in 2009.

Even if McGahee plays vulture and Rice only ends up with the same 7-8 TDs he got in 2009, Jackson isn't getting any more than that.

Guys who put up over 2,000 yards from scrimmage in their second year, on a very good team, with a great offensive line, with no injury concerns, are generally rated as top running backs. If you need convincing of that, and your fellow owners are willing to let him fall to 7th overall or lower, I'd love an invite to your league.

I'm in a non ppr league where yardage and TD's are the only thing we get points for, can someone please talk me into drafting Ray Rice at #6? Based on the guys in my league, I'm pretty certain he'll fall to me at #6.

I wish he'd fall to me at 6 in my league! :shocking:

I wish he'd fall to me at 6 in my league! :shocking:

Yeah, it is a little surprising, but the top 3 RBs are going, the #4 guy is taking Turner because of his TD totals, and #5 guy takes a QB every year and he's huge on Aaron Rogers, so I'm projecting Rice will be there at 6.

Good feedback on this board.. Thanks.

I'm no Ravens fan, but I saw them play about 5 or 6 times last year. He may be the most exciting RB i have ever seen. Amazingly explosive and has a great line. Only drawback is they pull him at goalline.

I got them like this. Rice as a pretty solid #4 as there is quite a gap after him. And Turner and his TDs? Lacks total yards.

1. C Johnson at 2000 and 14 TDs. (284)

2. A Pterson at 1800 and 16. (276)

3. MJD at 1700 and 15. (260)

4. Rice at 1900 and 11. (256)

5. Gore at 1600 and 11. (226)

6. SJax at 1700 and 8. (218)

7. Mendenhall at 1500 and 10. (210)

8. Turner at 1300 and 13. (208)

The rb class of 2008 is probably the best ever. Fast forward 10 years... CJ2K, The Daily Show , & Double R will be known for being top 5 backs in fantasyland. Of the three backs, Rice is on the better team now that will continue to excell his career.

Ray Rice is a website pick. The guy who had a great season who is all over the websites. Kinda like Slaton, and Forte of 09'. McGahee is still there so I wonder why he is ranked so high too.

Ray Rice is a website pick. The guy who had a great season who is all over the websites. Kinda like Slaton, and Forte of 09'. McGahee is still there so I wonder why he is ranked so high too.

I had Ray Rice on my team last year and watched a bunch of Ravens games. The guy Rice most reminds me of is a more athletic version of Duce Staley. He's not the fastest guy but he's a tough runner and probably the best pass-catching back in the league. His TD totals will never be that great because the Ravens wisely rotate their backs, but Rice should rush for 1,100+ yards and catch 60 or more passes. That means barring injury his floor is about 1,700 total yards. Even at 7-8 TDs that still makes him a Top 5 pick.

If I were picking 3rd overall and the first two off the board were AP and CJ, I'd probably take Rice at #3. He has almost no chance of putting up MJD's touchdown numbers but he's a much safer pick IMO because he's younger and on a good team with an excellent OL, good QB and good surrounding weapons.

You're overthinking things - just draft Rice and count yourself lucky to end up with a surefire top scorer.

I'm no Ravens fan, but I saw them play about 5 or 6 times last year. He may be the most exciting RB i have ever seen.

Unless those 5 or 6 games were the only football games you've ever watched, I don't know how your next statement could possibly be true. The most exciting RB you've ever seen?? :shocking: :doh::lol:

Plays on a very good team...with a good Oline...and put up 2000 total yards in his 2nd season.

He will run the ball a lot, and catch it a lot.

The only thing keeping him back at all is that he loses some goalline opportunities. Otherwise you could put him in the discussion in the top 3 spots of the draft. As it stands...he seems the logical #4 guy (right where I am drafting this year and Im quite happy about it).

Ray Rice last year and most likely this year barring injury.

If the Ravens are winning he gets close to 100yds rush with 3catches 20yds

If the Ravens are losing he gets around 50yds rush with 6 catches for 50 yds

sprinkle in 9 or so tds.

Reguardless of situation he usually produces. :thumbsup:

I had Ray Rice on my team last year and watched a bunch of Ravens games. The guy Rice most reminds me of is a more athletic version of Duce Staley. He's not the fastest guy but he's a tough runner and probably the best pass-catching back in the league.

I've been following RR closely since he came in the league as I took him in a new dynasty league his rook season and I also had him last year and this year as a keeper in another league. He reminds me of a cross between MJD and a young B. Westbrook. Not a speed demon but he looked pretty fast on the long TD run against NE last year.

I've been following RR closely since he came in the league as I took him in a new dynasty league his rook season and I also had him last year and this year as a keeper in another league. He reminds me of a cross between MJD and a young B. Westbrook. Not a speed demon but he looked pretty fast on the long TD run against NE last year.

agreed.... :thumbsup: Also adding to your comments he is a stand up guy with a great work ethic. Coach Harbaugh commented he worked his tail off this last offseason despite his probowl status. Harbaugh is in love with him always talking/joking with him on the sideline. Very safe stud pick imo.

agreed.... :thumbsup: Also adding to your comments he is a stand up guy with a great work ethic. Coach Harbaugh commented he worked his tail off this last offseason despite his probowl status. Harbaugh is in love with him always talking/joking with him on the sideline. Very safe stud pick imo.

Don't be surprised if they Rice run more at the goal line this year too. Coaches have a tendency to reward their workhorses. McGhaee had 5 TD's in the first 3 games and 3 in the last game of the season. In fact of his 12 TD's, 10 came in 5 games. I don't see that happening again.

See here's the thing... It's more likely that McGahee's numbers were the fluke last year. Not Rice's.

A bigger concern to me would be the Ravens allocating a larger share of their offense to the passing game now that Flacco has more experience, and added weapons in Boldin and Stallworth. Or maybe their presence keeps opposing defenses more honest and Rice runs wild as a result. Either way, Ray Rice is legit.

If you're looking for "a website pick", search for the Arian Foster threads ;)

I had Rice last season. And I think he's overrated this season. I watched every Baltimore game last season and the thing that stuck out to me was how much they threw the ball early in the season. They went back to the running game later in the year, because they had to. They didn't have the weapons downfield to make it work. But I just have this hunch that they really would prefer to throw it more. And they didn't bring in Boldin to throw it LESS. Now, Rice is going to get a lot of those passes too, but I still don't see him getting more than 6 to 8 TDs this year. That he's going ahead of Gore and Turner in non-PPR leagues is just astonishing to me.

And you ONLY get points for TDs? I wouldn't touch him in the 1st round.

See here's the thing... It's more likely that McGahee's numbers were the fluke last year. Not Rice's.

A bigger concern to me would be the Ravens allocating a larger share of their offense to the passing game now that Flacco has more experience, and added weapons in Boldin and Stallworth. Or maybe their presence keeps opposing defenses more honest and Rice runs wild as a result. Either way, Ray Rice is legit.

If you're looking for "a website pick", search for the Arian Foster threads ;)

Wow, I read this and thought i must have wrote it when i was black-out....my thoughts exactly.

Why didn’t Chris Johnson get drafted higher last year? Well, he was a high yardage guy that got his TDs vulture by a bigger back.

I’m not saying RR is going to be this year’s Chris Johnson, but what happens if they start giving a few more goaline carries to RR? Just sayin….

I had Rice last season. And I think he's overrated this season. I watched every Baltimore game last season and the thing that stuck out to me was how much they threw the ball early in the season. They went back to the running game later in the year, because they had to. They didn't have the weapons downfield to make it work. But I just have this hunch that they really would prefer to throw it more. And they didn't bring in Boldin to throw it LESS. Now, Rice is going to get a lot of those passes too, but I still don't see him getting more than 6 to 8 TDs this year. That he's going ahead of Gore and Turner in non-PPR leagues is just astonishing to me.

And you ONLY get points for TDs? I wouldn't touch him in the 1st round.

Gore hasn't really been a big TD guy either...As some have pointed out, I think Rice will steal a few of those td's from McGahee this year. I see 10-12 td's, with yardage being similar. He averaged 9 ypc last year. Adding Boldin in the mix should open things up a bit more for him as well in the passing game. I really like the Ravens offense this year, with Rice being the focal point. :headbanger:

But I just have this hunch that they really would prefer to throw it more. And they didn't bring in Boldin to throw it LESS.

You have a hunch? Wow! Gee! Thanks for that tidbit! Go look at what Cam Cameron has done for RB's everywhere he has been. That will tell you all you need to know about your hunch.

You have a hunch? Wow! Gee! Thanks for that tidbit! Go look at what Cam Cameron has done for RB's everywhere he has been. That will tell you all you need to know about your hunch.

Really? You're offended by my opinion? I'll tell ya what. Feel free to draft Ray Rice in your no yardage league, ahead of Gore and Turner and we'll see how that turns out for you. I will give you this though. You're absolutely correct about Cameron. What he did for that Tomlinson kid in San Diego? Remarkable.

He said it's a non-PPR performance league, not a TD-only league. Rice is as solid a pick as any at #5, IMHO. Gore would be a solid pick, too, but Rice is likely to outperform Gore in terms of receiving yards, and he's also four years younger, so he'll have fresher legs (Gore is not over the hill, but he's got a lot more mileage on him). Take whichever one you're more comfortable with, because neither one is a stretch at #5. The idea is not to screw the pooch at that point.

Really? You're offended by my opinion? I'll tell ya what. Feel free to draft Ray Rice in your no yardage league, ahead of Gore and Turner and we'll see how that turns out for you. I will give you this though. You're absolutely correct about Cameron. What he did for that Tomlinson kid in San Diego? Remarkable.

Or Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams in Miami... Or Ray Rice and McGahee in Baltimore. The guy runs the ball and his RB's are ALWAYS at the top of the FF Rankings!

But hey, you've got a hunch. That's awesome!

He said it's a non-PPR performance league, not a TD-only league.

I guess you're right. In a performance league, I put him right after Gore and Turner.

Or Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams in Miami... Or Ray Rice and McGahee in Baltimore. The guy runs the ball and his RB's are ALWAYS at the top of the FF Rankings!

The Dolphins were 1-15 under Cameron. Williams wasn't there and Brown rushed for 600 yards.

I think baltimore will throw the ball more with Boldin now on the team, but I'm just not all aboard the Joe Flacco band wagon. He's a pretty good QB, but the Ravens are a running team and RR is one of the best in the league with the O-line. I think he will see more goal line opportunities even with McGahee.

I'd feel very good about drafting him at 6, even a pick or two earlier.

is it an over reaction to bump this?

In week 1 against the best D in the league? Yes.

But I'm sure Rice owners are going to be thanking you if this bump works the reverse jinx and he goes 90 yards for six soon.

is it an over reaction to bump this?

Seeing that you mentioned Shonn Greene as a better option............yes.

overreaction, party of 1, your table is ready.... overreaction, party of 1

seriously. how did MJD do this week? Peterson didn't score either. Frank Gore? Burner Turner?

In a TD league he's not. Hope you didn't think he was.

You overreacting clowns just settle down.

Dude had 21 carries and 4 targets.

If you can add (which, based on the intelligence of some posts, I may doubt), you'll realize that's 25 touches.

Oh and if you check the Ravens schedule, they don't play the Jets every week you numbnuts.

You overreacting clowns just settle down.

Dude had 21 carries and 4 targets.

If you can add (which, based on the intelligence of some posts, I may doubt), you'll realize that's 25 touches.

Oh and if you check the Ravens schedule, they don't play the Jets every week you numbnuts.

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:26 AM

clowns are funny! :banana: