Sign in to follow this  
P.I.

Denver WR Thomas

is this kid for real? will Orton spread the ball around too much to make him a legit every game fantasy starter? I don't watch college football...what is the background/outlook for this kid?

He's the real deal. I think he has such pure talent there will be no way DEN can not get him the ball. I'm looking to trade form him asap.

denvers 1st 2 games were against bums look @ the next 6 weeks matchups

orton is gonna get smashed ....ravens,jets,colts,san fran & tenn.

think everybody is jumping the gun

Being a Broncos homer, I was all over this guy in my dynasty league. I read reports of the couple days of training camp that he was healthy, he was burning Champ on a regular basis. Not bad for a rookie coming off a foot injury. Then the re injury happened and stunted his learning during training camp. In short, he is an exceptional talent, but raw. He did have a high wonderlic score showing he has football knowledge, but he will still be prone to the rookie reciever ups and downs. Is he an every week starter? Not right now, in my opinion. Could he turn into the Boldin, Clayton, Moss of this year? Sure, based on physical talent alone. I mean the guy was slated to be a starter when he was drafted, but didn't get the practice time this summer. It will take a few weeks to get back into a groove. That being said, he has more ability than any other player likely on your waiver wire, so he isn't a bad option to stash for later in the year, hoping he makes strides in his development in the next few weeks. Denver's schedule at the end of the year is pretty good, so he may be helpful then. As far as the next few weeks, the only d's in there that are good pass d's are tenn and the jet's w/ revis. The Ravens can stop the run and not the pass, San Fran is questionable at best at this point and the Colts have a good pass rush, but the Denver passing game is based on short and intermediate routes. And the Revisless Jets are very vulnerable.

I have Gaffney and the #1 waiver.

Right now I have a request in for him. What do you guys think?

Denver is going to pass. Will it be spread around too much? Or could he emerge as a viable WR3?

They have some tasty matchups later in the season...

Players like this have low risk/high reward written all over them. I picked him up this morning. If he flames out, oh well...I didn't lose anything. But if week 2 was only the tip of the iceberg...then...fill in the blank.

Being a Broncos homer, I was all over this guy in my dynasty league. I read reports of the couple days of training camp that he was healthy, he was burning Champ on a regular basis. Not bad for a rookie coming off a foot injury. Then the re injury happened and stunted his learning during training camp. In short, he is an exceptional talent, but raw. He did have a high wonderlic score showing he has football knowledge, but he will still be prone to the rookie reciever ups and downs. Is he an every week starter? Not right now, in my opinion. Could he turn into the Boldin, Clayton, Moss of this year? Sure, based on physical talent alone. I mean the guy was slated to be a starter when he was drafted, but didn't get the practice time this summer. It will take a few weeks to get back into a groove. That being said, he has more ability than any other player likely on your waiver wire, so he isn't a bad option to stash for later in the year, hoping he makes strides in his development in the next few weeks. Denver's schedule at the end of the year is pretty good, so he may be helpful then. As far as the next few weeks, the only d's in there that are good pass d's are tenn and the jet's w/ revis. The Ravens can stop the run and not the pass, San Fran is questionable at best at this point and the Colts have a good pass rush, but the Denver passing game is based on short and intermediate routes. And the Revisless Jets are very vulnerable.

Excellent post. I drafted this kid in my auction keeper league with the intention of stashing him for the future. I knew he had problems with his foot surgery, and even feared the inserted screws may have come loose. I was pleasantly surprised with last weeks effort (he'll gell nicely with Opie), but more significantly I'm happily watching the pain-free practices pile up.

He was the number one reciever taken, and has lightning speed to go with his big frame. He's sharp, as the wunderlick proved, so he'll smooth up the raw edges. All the tools are there for a fine value receiever this year, and a dominating reciever in the years to come. I look at players from a long-term standpoint, and am placing this kids value at such. Anything that happens this year is just gravy to me.

I have Gaffney and the #1 waiver.

Right now I have a request in for him. What do you guys think?

Denver is going to pass. Will it be spread around too much? Or could he emerge as a viable WR3?

They have some tasty matchups later in the season...

When the first receiver taken in the draft blows up in his first game, it's pretty obvious where things are heading. They drafted him to be their top guy. Gaffney is not a bad player but he is not a legit #1 in the NFL. FWIW, I dropped Gaffney for Thomas. I think I don't think he's immediately startable but I definitely believe he can become a WR3 down the road. Either way you know you're not starting Gaffney now, so you might as well make a bet on Thomas.

Anyone rolling with him week 3? Since it's Indy this week, I'm tempted to but supposedly he's on limited playing time to work him back in the system. He was on limited time last week too and went off; catching 8 of the 9 thrown his way. :dunno:

Anyone rolling with him week 3? Since it's Indy this week, I'm tempted to but supposedly he's on limited playing time to work him back in the system. He was on limited time last week too and went off; catching 8 of the 9 thrown his way. :dunno:

No, I am stubbornly sticking with Garcon this week. :wall:

Roommate is a Denver homer.. depends what your looking for..

If you are looking for a boom or bust role with Thomas..

Gaffney will have decent games but youll never be able to pin point which ones they will be.

I think the guy to get is Eddie Royal if you are looking for a #3 guy.. who wouldnt take 80 some receptions, 100 yards and 5-7 tds from your #3

He gets ton of targets in the slot. Id rather take a high floor 5 for 60 in 1/2 ppr every week with #3 and let your big guns close the doors then walk away with a 3 or 4 pt effort from some of these other guys.

Definitely worth an add. For all we know, they will send Eddie Royalback into decoy mode like last year and ths kid will get targets like Marshall did. Even if he doesn't, still not bad to have for flex/bye week player. He's already gone in one of my leagues but I'm hoping even with my late waiver prioroty to get him after all the experts have picked up Tolbert and Snelling.

good morning, demaryius

i am using my number one priority on the kid, but it isnt saying much, since im swapping for lloyd. my team is hurt, but with orton running the show, and rice and charles bound to blow, i should be all set starting this kid next to marshall and jennings. i dunno. i was forced to keep housh and hes rolling reservice for awhile. maybe this guy will give jahvid the best challenge for roy. maybe he wont catch a ball.

so anyways orton vs indy or palmer vs panthers?

good morning, demaryius

i am using my number one priority on the kid, but it isnt saying much, since im swapping for lloyd. my team is hurt, but with orton running the show, and rice and charles bound to blow, i should be all set starting this kid next to marshall and jennings. i dunno. i was forced to keep housh and hes rolling reservice for awhile. maybe this guy will give jahvid the best challenge for roy. maybe he wont catch a ball.

so anyways orton vs indy or palmer vs panthers?

Orton; Palmer has yet to prove himself.

According to FF Today, Thomas is the number 1 now. I'm rolling the dice on him this week as I can see Indy up quick and forcing Orton to air it out. I love taking flyers on players and looks like this guy is equipped to produce every week.

fwiw Indy hasnt allowed more then 200 yards passing in like the last 5 games

Fail. Brees had 288yds against Indy in the SuperBowl and Sanchez had 257yds in the conference championship.

Fail. Brees had 288yds against Indy in the SuperBowl and Sanchez had 257yds in the conference championship.

And the only reason Houston didn't throw for over 200 is because Arian Foster was busy rushing for 230 on them. Still Schaub had over 100 on 9 completions.

Brees also tied the record for most competions in a Super Bowl with 32.

I'm going all in on the kid in my high stakes league. We have deep 20 man rosters so the WW is bare. If he turns into Miles Austin it could put me over the top. If he doesn't, he is still better than my WR 4/5 so I can spot start him if I need to. He has high upside so I'm rolling the dice. :headbanger:

He's pretty young (23) - do many rookie WR's his age come in and dominate their 1st year?

Does he have to dominate in order to be useful? I mean when you say dominate I think of AJ/Moss dominating. He won't be that. But could he average 10-15 points a game? Sure. And that has to be better than most people's WRs 4/5.

Where was he week one?

Rehabing a foot injury. Last week he was in limited amount of snaps as they're trying to work him back into the system. Even with limited snaps he was Orton's go to guy catching 8 of 9 targets for 97 + 1 TD. Can you expect that every week? No but against Indy it could turn into a shootout. :dunno:

Right now I've got a claim in for him. Thomas > Massaquoi...so he's an upgrade.

I know the kid has talent....and he's in a good situation with a QB who can get him the ball, and an offense that can throw effectively. So there's a lot to like here. But this was the first time any team has seen him. He won't surprise the Colts, and they'll be able to gameplan for him. If he still posts solid numbers this week......watch out. If not....no biggie. He'll have some good games, and some bad games. Hopefully he finds a bit more consistency toward the end of this season.

I'm hoping to land him tonight and stash him for later down the road. Something tells me Dwayne Bowe ain't gonna cut it as a WR2 this year. <_<

I'm starting him over Garcon and Crabtree. My initial concern was the Indy pass rush after destroying the Giants but off Turf and in Denver I doubt they are going to get to Orton as often as the got to Eli. Orton should put it up 40+ times so Thomas should get his.

I put in a claim for him but didn't get him. I'm thinking of trading Knox for him though. Wise move or sit tight with Knox? My other WRs are White, Welker and Ochocinco so he would be my WR4 when we start 2 WRs.

I put in a claim for him but didn't get him. I'm thinking of trading Knox for him though. Wise move or sit tight with Knox? My other WRs are White, Welker and Ochocinco so he would be my WR4 when we start 2 WRs.

This is exactly the same boat I'm in. Put a claim in for Thomas, missed out, and have Knox. But I'm not going to make a play for him....at least not right now. Yes, he had an impressive start. But look at the teams Denver has on their slate: IND, @TEN, @BAL, NYJ, OAK, @SF, BYE It's gonna be tough for him to blow up over this stretch in my opinion.

He does have some weaker secondaries after the bye...STL, HOU, ARI.....so I think he could pay more dividends later in the year.

If he shows some flashes, but is inconsistent, I'll make an offer before Denver's bye week. Maybe the other owner will have grown impatient with the natural ups and downs of a rookie WR. If he dominates...or has a couple huge games I'll have to lament on the one that got away. There's no way I'd be able to get any kind of value in a trade.

Just wait and see....you can maybe get him cheaper once all the buzz has died down. Plus, you don't need him right away. Your receiving corps is solid.

###### I love reading a thread like this when it is started less than 24 hours after I whim out a bit and pick him up...

Here's hoping we all strike a bit of FA/draft gold.

i'm starting him over hakeem nicks this week :overhead: ... and i'm a GIANTS fan!!!

i just wanna look like a genius if he has a big game ... that's pretty much the only reason i'm doing it :doublethumbsup:

Me too. I had Nicks, Mega and Floyd as my starting 3, now I'm going with Mega. Floyd and Thomas. It will be tough sailing against a pretty stout Indy secondary but Denver is turning into a passing offense so I can see Orton stepping up to keep up with Manning. Besides, Nicks can't continue this pace.....can he?

Me too. I had Nicks, Mega and Floyd as my starting 3, now I'm going with Mega. Floyd and Thomas. It will be tough sailing against a pretty stout Indy secondary but Denver is turning into a passing offense so I can see Orton stepping up to keep up with Manning. Besides, Nicks can't continue this pace.....can he?

oh, if i had those options i'd probably bench floyd. i think nicks will have a good game against tenn. the giants aren't as bad as they seemed last week. they will bounce back this week.

oh, if i had those options i'd probably bench floyd. i think nicks will have a good game against tenn. the giants aren't as bad as they seemed last week. they will bounce back this week.

I think some people might be reading too much into the Titans' #1 rated pass defense (against Jason Campbell, Dennis Dixon, and Charlie Batch), forgetting that they were second last in the league last year.

On DThomas:

I never used to bother with rookie WRs (save for drafting Randy Moss), but it seems like more and more are producing these days. It's obviously a lot harder to beat man coverage in the NFL than college, but maybe more zone coverages and shorter routes are making it easier for these guys to adjust.

Thomas seems like he's in a good spot to make a splash. He's in a passing offense, where most of the throws are designed to be short and quick. The competion at WR doesn't look to be very stiff. And, he's by far the biggest WR on a team that isn't using its TEs much, so he figures to be a consistent redzone target.

I spent significant waiver cash on him, but I'm not sure I am ready to start him (I kinda like Hester this week - I expect Chicago to have a lot of catching up to do).

GOT HIM!!!

I have faith he can outplay my other ######-######-migraine-fingernail-broken-hip-purple-bruised-playing-catch-with-grandpa's WR .... so go out there and get it done son!!!!

Picked him up as well but probably not going to play him over any of Wayne, Nicks, and Driver this week. Maybe over Driver, but it's a scary proposition to me.

Any suggestions?

Picked him up as well but probably not going to play him over any of Wayne, Nicks, and Driver this week. Maybe over Driver, but it's a scary proposition to me.

Any suggestions?

Do it! That's why you picked him up. I picked him up this week too and am going to bench Crabtree.