Sign in to follow this  
tecklc2112

Vikings "very close" to acquiring Randy Moss?

Does he start this week for the Vikes? If so gets Revis again...

Revis coming off a hammy injury running streak routes 75% of the time.

I like Moss for 4 catches, 138 yards, 1 TD.

pretty sure this was posted before yours

Got me by 4 minutes. Wow.

Nice job, OP. Totally thought I had the news as it was breaking.

DAM CBS is freakin on top of things they already have Moss on Vikings :shocking:

Even though last week Moss was basically on a bye this means that us Moss owners get to use him everyweek this year :headbanger:

I bet that has not happened before :unsure:

The Patriots traded Moss, but should fantasy owners do the same? And if so, what's his value now?

I think the idea of him playing with Favre has the potential to be huge but at the same time does it transition into fantasy greatness?

I'm not too worried about these two finding rhythm being they are both veterans. I just question what each has left in the tank at their respective ages.

Wrong

They would have tendered him and gotten SOMETHING(depending on the level tendered), meanwhile they would have had him all year.

Moss wasnt happy here and obviously the coaches didnt want to deal with him anymore, they did the same with Seymour

For this season, I don't see how this is good for NE. Just having Moss on the field (not even catching balls) opens up the field for others. Most D's roll a safefy his way.

This isn't the same Patriot Defense as 8 years ago. They can't rely on 2 Special team TD's every week to win a ball game like they did last Monday.

With that said, I understand why they made the trade. If the Pats knew they were not going to resign Randy, and it was starting to become an issue then just nip it in the bud. But let's not kid ourselves that losing him will not hurt the Pats for this season.

For this season, I don't see how this is good for NE. Just having Moss on the field (not even catching balls) opens up the field for others. Most D's roll a safefy his way.

This isn't the same Patriot Defense as 8 years ago. They can't rely on 2 Special team TD's every week to win a ball game like they did last Monday.

With that said, I understand why they made the trade. If the Pats knew they were not going to resign Randy, and it was starting to become an issue then just nip it in the bud. But let's not kid ourselves that losing him will not hurt the Pats for this season.

There had to be more going on behind the scenes. Rarely does BB or the Patriots let team issues get out in the public.

1-everyone knew Patriots were not going to sign Moss to extension. So get something for him

2-Moss requested a trade after week 1.

3-Moss has proven in the past that if he is unhappy he can be a cancer to a team. There really are no super stars on the Patriots. Brady is a super star but he puts the team first something Moss has not done.

With all due respect, were you watching the team last year? Favre and Harvin's rapport was just fine. The issue this year is that he has been playing out wide instead of in the slot. Berrian and Moss, and eventually Rice and Moss will move Percy to his slot position, where he is much more dangerous.

Wes Welker-type role.

I was watching the team last year. Their rapport was fine, and I do understand that he is being asked to play more out wide.

With that said, even with their amazing rhythm last year he only averaged 4 catches per game, 53 rec yards per game, and 0.4 TDs per game. I gave him credit for 25% to 67% more than that. How am I off base?

There had to be more going on behind the scenes. Rarely does BB or the Patriots let team issues get out in the public.

1-everyone knew Patriots were not going to sign Moss to extension. So get something for him

3-Moss has proven in the past that if he is unhappy he can be a cancer to a team. There really are no super stars on the Patriots. Brady is a super star but he puts the team first something Moss has not done.

The pats could have more than likely gotten a 3rd round compensatory pick depending on the FA contract Moss signed. Dumb trade for the pats.

The pats could have more than likely gotten a 3rd round compensatory pick depending on the FA contract Moss signed. Dumb trade for the pats.

That is not quite how it works. The Pats got a 3rd rounder from Minnesota in 2011. Even if Minny is really good, that pick will probably be #90 or less.

A compensatory pick is for 2012 and the best that it could be is something between the 3rd and 4th rounds (likely #97-100). Compensatory picks are based on net losses of FA's. If the Pats end up signing a big name FA (remember, they gain $9M in salary from Moss), then they could end up with no pick whatsoever or they could get something in lower rounds.

Last I read comp picks for long time vets like Moss are capped at a 5th.

Could have read that wrong though.

Hurting the Patriots for the rest of the year <> Moss being a cancer

You're assuming you know what was going on behind closed doors, you don't, I don't, no one does. You're assuming having him for 3 hours on Sunday is worth having him for 6 days in the locker room on the practice field. Obviously BB and the Patriots disagree with you.

DAM CBS is freakin on top of things they already have Moss on Vikings :shocking:

Even though last week Moss was basically on a bye this means that us Moss owners get to use him everyweek this year :headbanger:

Because the Vikings are coming out of their bye, and Moss played in the first four games in New England, he will play in 17 regular-season games this season provided he remains healthy. According to the NFL, Moss is the sixth player in this category since the bye was instituted in 1990. Follow NFLFootballInfo on Twitter to keep up with good nuggets like this.

The last was linebacker Will Witherspoon(notes) just last season. He split time in Philadelphia and St. Louis. Previously, Jerry Rice did it in 2004 with Oakland and the forgettable stint he had in Seattle. Micah Ross also accomplished the feat in 2004 in San Diego and Carolina. Dexter Carter (1995, N.Y. Jets-San Francisco) and Chris Singleton (1993, New England-Miami) were also 17-game players.

Because the Vikings are coming out of their bye, and Moss played in the first four games in New England, he will play in 17 regular-season games this season provided he remains healthy. According to the NFL, Moss is the sixth player in this category since the bye was instituted in 1990. Follow NFLFootballInfo on Twitter to keep up with good nuggets like this.

The last was linebacker Will Witherspoon(notes) just last season. He split time in Philadelphia and St. Louis. Previously, Jerry Rice did it in 2004 with Oakland and the forgettable stint he had in Seattle. Micah Ross also accomplished the feat in 2004 in San Diego and Carolina. Dexter Carter (1995, N.Y. Jets-San Francisco) and Chris Singleton (1993, New England-Miami) were also 17-game players.

From the looks of things last monday, Moss took his bye the same week as his new team.

Do what :pointstosky: :nono: Moss wouldnt beat the JETS the defense would

If you play defense you can beat the JETS. Sure i loved Brady to Moss but he hasnt done crap this year and he was obviously pouting about his contract situation and instead of waiting till he tried to bring down rest of team they shipped his arse out.

Did the Patriots win a Super Bowl with him?? NO Did the Patriots have a big name WR when they were winning all the Super Bowls? NO This actually may be a good thing for the offense as now the ball will be spread around and we saw it during Monday nights game.

:lol: It's funny to hear you try and spin this into a positive for the Patriots...I seem to remember you saying these 2 things just a few weeks ago:

"They need dam Moss. Without Moss the offense is not very good. Yes Brady is a stud but when they won all the Super Bowls they won them in large part because of the defense. With out Moss, Welker does not do nearly as good."

and

"but as a Patriots fan i think they have to pay Moss. With out Moss this offense is no where near as good and you would think Brady would go to bat for Moss. I do agree with you that if Moss does not get an extension we are in BIG trouble for next year and beyond."

Am I missing something about losing him in Free Agency? I thought teams receive compensatory picks based on the level of talent that they LOSE to free agency every year. I remember when Housh left Cincy, they got a pick at the end of the 3rd or 4th round (can't remember). If so, the Patriots certainly would have gotten a late 3rd pick for Moss. So they move up ~15 spots to lose Moss for the rest of the season?

Am I missing something about losing him in Free Agency? I thought teams receive compensatory picks based on the level of talent that they LOSE to free agency every year. I remember when Housh left Cincy, they got a pick at the end of the 3rd or 4th round (can't remember). If so, the Patriots certainly would have gotten a late 3rd pick for Moss. So they move up ~15 spots to lose Moss for the rest of the season?

The comp pick wouldn't be til 2012...they got a 2011 pick.

We will say if the Pats can go back to winning with little or no talent and smoke and mirrors like they used to. :music_guitarred:

somewhere buried in this thread is the concept that this move lowers moss' value because favre < brady.

i couldn't disagree more. sure favre < brady, however favre will also throw a bunch of idiotic passes moss' way that brady would not have thrown, because he's a gunslinger.

some of those passes will benefit moss, some will take away points from favre (ints) - none of those will hurt moss.

you also throw in the motivated moss ready to prove something factor and...

moss value just went up, my guess is by alot.

yes - i have in in one league :overhead:

but recently traded him away in another :doh:

We will say if the Pats can go back to winning with little or no talent and smoke and mirrors and cameras like they used to. :music_guitarred:

fixt

Also, the third round pick the Patriots get from the Vikings can be traded so it has slightly more value (besides being slightly higher in the draft) for that reason as compensatory picks cannot be traded. I have to thank Peter King for that thought.

Not sure how much you used him last week.

That is not quite how it works. The Pats got a 3rd rounder from Minnesota in 2011. Even if Minny is really good, that pick will probably be #90 or less.

A compensatory pick is for 2012 and the best that it could be is something between the 3rd and 4th rounds (likely #97-100). Compensatory picks are based on net losses of FA's. If the Pats end up signing a big name FA (remember, they gain $9M in salary from Moss), then they could end up with no pick whatsoever or they could get something in lower rounds.

:thumbsup:

$45 of a $100 auction budget on Tate. How much too much? When Tolbert goes for 41, Jacobs 87 and Fragile Fred 97, I figured a Brady starting WR (when I'm starting James Jones on bye weeks and McCluster is my WR3), was well worth it. WR3 pretty much locked up, hopefully, with Tate/Edelman.

somewhere buried in this thread is the concept that this move lowers moss' value because favre < brady.

i couldn't disagree more. sure favre < brady, however favre will also throw a bunch of idiotic passes moss' way that brady would not have thrown, because he's a gunslinger.

some of those passes will benefit moss, some will take away points from favre (ints) - none of those will hurt moss.

you also throw in the motivated moss ready to prove something factor and...

moss value just went up, my guess is by alot.

yes - i have in in one league :overhead:

but recently traded him away in another :doh:

Agree with this and would add a couple of other points to it...

In NE, Moss had become a deep pattern and red zone threat exclusively, because that was what they needed him to be...His presence on the field opened things up for the other guys, meaning short dumps to Welker, Hernandez and the backs if Brady wasn't taking a shot at him (which he wasn't on the majority of NE's passing plays so far)...Catches were not overly consequential if his presence opened up things for other guys to make plays...Brady, like Brees, is perfectly content to move the ball by throwing to whoever the defense dictates he should throw to and is not a guy who force feeds a receiver---Welker's high volume of catchers is less about Brady force feeding and more about the fact that defenses tended to give up the underneath stuff in exchange for not getting beat deep...With Favre, Moss goes to team with a guy who has a proven track record of feeding his top guys the ball, regardless of matchup or scheme---going all the way back to his GB days, Favre has typically locked onto one guy as his top threat, with the secondary guys fighting for the scraps that were left---Robert Brooks, Antonio Freeman, Javon Walker and Sidney Rice last year---all examples of Favre making fantasy studs out of guys by feeding them the ball...With teams forced to scheme for Peterson, I can't imagine Moss' ceiling being any lower than what Sidney Rice was able to do in this offense last season...A desperate to win now Favre and a motivated to get paid, chip on his shoulder Randy could equal a huge 12 weeks of fantasy numbers in Minnesota...These are arguably two of the all-time best to play at their position teaming up with a good mix of weapons (AP, Harvin, Shiancoe) around them...I wouldn't bet against it...

This is the best thing to happen ever.

I can't wait to pull that old Moss jersey from under my cat's ass in my closet and dust off the fleas and wear it out on a date.

I LOVE YOU RANDY!!! WELCOME HOME!! :headbanger:

There are certain players who were meant to be a legacy on a certain team, and Randy's was the Vikings. Nobody can ever take away what he did in Minnesota. 17 TDs his rookie year is a record that will stand the test of time.

Having said that, it's clear Childress is bent on keeping his old QB happy and he's trying to save his @$$. Everyone knows Favre isn't what he was last year and Childress can't coach to save his life. It looks as if Minnesota gave the power to Favre to run this team, and if Childress is going to interfere with what Favre wants, it will all blow up. Brad Childress is backseat now.

This isn't going to work well either. I think there will be a clash of egos. Both Favre and Moss believe in the "me first" mentality, and Childress does not have the experience to bring them together. When the Vikings fail to win the big one this year, the finger pointing will begin and one or both of them will have to go. It's either Favre's last year or Randy's last stint.

This is the best thing to happen ever.

I can't wait to pull that old Moss jersey from under my cat's ass in my closet and dust off the fleas and wear it out on a date.

I LOVE YOU RANDY!!! WELCOME HOME!! :headbanger:

Well that was a little awkward. :unsure:

Yeah and his 36 receptions (9 thru 4 weeks x 4), missed blocks, bad attitude would contribute greatly to their quest for another trophy. :rolleyes:

And to his ever being able to genuinely compete with Jerry Rice to be the GOAT...