Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Green Bay Packers at Chicago Bears

How many times has a RB walked off the field after an injury, thinking he was fine, only to have an MRI the next day and having a torn knee ligamnet? Not saying that's what happened, but let's wait to judge.

The difference being is most of those RBs either finished the game or played until the pain was unbearable and they were sidelined with crutches or forced to sit. It doesn't look good for Cutler, and you do not want to be labeled a quitter in Chicago. He just might be done as a Bear.

After the beating that he took all year with 50+ sacks and twice as many hits, I for one am not questioning his toughness. There is no way that he "quits" after all that he has been through this year unless it was serious. You can question his decisions and play, but not his toughness. Internet posters and even his contemporaries dont have a clue what the reality is in this case. He's not "liked" by some fans and leaguemates and therefore this thing is getting more momentum than it should.

After the beating that he took all year with 50+ sacks and twice as many hits, I for one am not questioning his toughness. There is no way that he "quits" after all that he has been through this year unless it was serious. You can question his decisions and play, but not his toughness. Internet posters and even his contemporaries dont have a clue what the reality is in this case. He's not "liked" by some fans and leaguemates and therefore this thing is getting more momentum than it should.

I agree. I'm obviously not a Cutler fan but anybody can respect the beating he took all year.

The whole situation is strange in that you rarely see other NFL players calling a guy out like that, and the fact that he was standing on the sideline gives you pause, but still . . . I refuse to believe there are any players in the NFL that would just mail it in with a Super Bowl berth on the line, down by only two scores, unless they literally cannot perform.

It has momentum because he left the game inexplicably. He wasn't injured in an obvious play. He didn't seem injured on the sidelines. He wasn't even being tended to by the trainers. If you had the TV on mute you would have thought he was benched on performance not an injury.

You just don't see that in the NFL and especially in the playoffs against your biggest rivals.

I guaranty sports radio in Chicago is going to slam this guy all day on Monday.

I agree. Who knows. I mean he felt he was hurting his team perhaps....not like we can't say he wasn't....the 3rd stringer gave them a better chance to win.

But overall, if I were a Bears fan I would be more worried about him as a QB, than his toughness. I doubt you can really win with him. He is a terrible leader and a questionable player in certain instances. I wouldn't be too excited to have him as QB of a team that has a good D and decent running game.

Like many analysts said after the game....he makes no one around him better. He has a deflating personality. As bad as Sanchez is, at least he has something that gets guys excited to play. Cutler doesn't..

I agree. Who knows. I mean he felt he was hurting his team perhaps....not like we can't say he wasn't....the 3rd stringer gave them a better chance to win.

But overall, if I were a Bears fan I would be more worried about him as a QB, than his toughness. I doubt you can really win with him. He is a terrible leader and a questionable player in certain instances. I wouldn't be too excited to have him as QB of a team that has a good D and decent running game.

Like many analysts said after the game....he makes no one around him better. He has a deflating personality. As bad as Sanchez is, at least he has something that gets guys excited to play. Cutler doesn't..

Well put. What a waste of superb talent though. Great athlete and I still think he has the best arm in the league. Imagine if he actually liked playing football.

Homerism at its finest.

Mike Shanahan sure seemed to like Cutler in Denver and he won two Super Bowls with Elway so I'm thinking he knows a thing or two about QB. Except he benched McNabb for Grossman, although Grossman threw multiple touchdowns in games. :unsure:

What's an injured player, especially a QB to d.? Favre refused to miss any playing time with an injuries when he was with the Jets and they went down in flames in the second half of the season because of him. I'm thinking it's just what it is in that Cutler got hurt (I've heard late in the 1st quarter) and kept playing on it and came out again in the second half and gave it a go. Realized he couldn't plant his back foot to make accurate throws and was hurting the team's chances; he honestly told the doctors, trainers, and coaches when asked about the injury and how it affected his ability to play and they made a decision to pull him.

Mike Shanahan sure seemed to like Cutler in Denver and he won two Super Bowls with Elway so I'm thinking he knows a thing or two about QB. Except he benched McNabb for Grossman, although Grossman threw multiple touchdowns in games. :unsure:

I can see how any coach would fall in love with his skill set. Bowlen firing Shanahan was the worst thing that could have happened to Cutler's career.

So you are saying because Shanny was lucky to have Elway, and he also liked Cutler, that you might be able to compare the two?

So you are saying because Shanny was lucky to have Elway, and he also liked Cutler, that you might be able to compare the two?

Yea I really don't understand his statement. Because he inherited an all time great...and drafted Cutler...we should concede that Cutler is real good? Makes little sense to me.

No one is questioning Cutler's raw ability. But he doesn't win games, he makes questionable throws, he whines a tad, he isn't a leader...ect. I haven't seen many QBs in the league with such a blah personality. A guy drops a ball, or runs a wrong route...and he drops his head, and doesn't say much. And honestly he doesn't even put up that good of numbers. His best QB rating in a year was 88.1.....so his best rating ever in a year would have ranked 15th this year...I wouldn't say that is too good.

And why is Shanny held at such a high regard? Because he won 2 SBs with Elway and Davis more than a decade ago?

Shanahan inherited Elway. He then thought Brian Griese and Jake Plummer were the answer. He then traded for McNabb this past offseason who was a terrible fit. His quarterbacks when he was with the Raiders were really bad as well.

If Shnahan knew anything it was running backs. He drafted Tyrell Davis in the 6th round and was able to develop and draft other running backs in his Denver years.

Good post, but I would also question the coaches ability to put Cutler in the best position to win games. Instead of asking him to help win games, Martz tried to make Cutler win games...he's no doubt the wrong O-coordinator for a Bears team that has a good D and good running game. Once again, credit Angelo and Lovie for this, although Martz was there third or forth choice.

Good post, but I would also question the coaches ability to put Cutler in the best position to win games. Instead of asking him to help win games, Martz tried to make Cutler win games...he's no doubt the wrong O-coordinator for a Bears team that has a good D and good running game. Once again, credit Angelo and Lovie for this, although Martz was there third or forth choice.

Didn't you say Martz was a genius just a few days ago? :dunno:

They won enough games this year didn't they? Bears homers just fail to realize they got a QB that may have skills, but isn't any sort of an elite QB. Some were putting him on par with Rodgers coming into the playoffs. This was his 1st winning season since '01...in HS.

His attitude is terrible for a QB to have. Jeff George has been a great comparison. Cutler isn't a bad guy, but he sure has no clue how to rally a team, or lift his players up.

I know it is pretty much impossible to get rid of him at this point, especially when it is hard to find QBs in today's game. But if I were a Bears fan I would love if they tried to look elsewhere for a different QB. Most all winning QBs have at least real good leadership. Cutler has pretty much no leadership skills.

And like I said before...his best rated year was 88.1. That would be 15th this year....he really isn't as good of a pure QB as we thought...or some still think. His arm is second to none. He is a good athlete. But is he really that good of a passer or QB?

I also think the D is overrated. They are still good, but overrated. They got to Rodgers a few times. They held up GB, but that was more of a bad game by Rodgers. They couldn't cover Jennings, and Starks had some big runs. Urlacher was shook out of his shoes by Brandon Jackson. They are a real good tackling D, with a scheme they have ran for years. But I think they are overrated.

The 2 INTs, 1 bounced off Driver's shoe, 1 Rodgers forced it right to Urlacher. Not sure what happened in the 2nd half, MM gets conservative and Rodgers looked way off. But that first half GB was going up and down the field.

Didn't you say Martz was a genius just a few days ago? :dunno:

They won enough games this year didn't they? Bears homers just fail to realize they got a QB that may have skills, but isn't any sort of an elite QB. Some were putting him on par with Rodgers coming into the playoffs. This was his 1st winning season since '01...in HS.

His attitude is terrible for a QB to have. Jeff George has been a great comparison. Cutler isn't a bad guy, but he sure has no clue how to rally a team, or lift his players up.

I know it is pretty much impossible to get rid of him at this point, especially when it is hard to find QBs in today's game. But if I were a Bears fan I would love if they tried to look elsewhere for a different QB. Most all winning QBs have at least real good leadership. Cutler has pretty much no leadership skills.

And like I said before...his best rated year was 88.1. That would be 15th this year....he really isn't as good of a pure QB as we thought...or some still think. His arm is second to none. He is a good athlete. But is he really that good of a passer or QB?

I never called Martz a genius, wrong poster. And I called the Bears a "Good" D, which they are (not great). Like I've said previously, the Bears corners play way to soft and that cover-2 blows. Get a tough, in your face, pressing type of coach, and the Bears D would could be much better. With Lovie basically being the coach of the D, he needs to go.

I never called Martz a genius, wrong poster. And I called the Bears a "Good" D, which they are (not great). Like I've said previously, the Bears corners play way to soft and that cover-2 blows. Get a tough, in your face, pressing type of coach, and the Bears D would could be much better. With Lovie basically being the coach of the D, he needs to go.

Who else in the league plays a true cover 2 still? I think it is defiantly outdated. The QBs today and the new rules, it just gets tore up.

I don't know...maybe I mix up posters. I think it was Dr. J that was saying how good the D was, and wanted to twist stats around. Homerism is fine, but I think you guys were really delusional about Cutler coming in, especially when you look at his track record vs. the Packers.

Great freaking day.

Didn't post much last night...or during the game for sure...but wow. Can't believe after how the whole year went that they got there...and I don't care that it wasn't pretty. Those NFC Championship shirts the Packers were wearing contained no score or asterisks.

The Packers were simply the better team and it showed for much of that game.

Great freaking day.

Didn't post much last night...or during the game for sure...but wow. Can't believe after how the whole year went that they got there...and I don't care that it wasn't pretty. Those NFC Championship shirts the Packers were wearing contained no score or asterisks.

The Packers were simply the better team and it showed for much of that game.

given the fact they won three road games--including knocking off both the #1 and #2 seeds in successive weeks--i don't think any asterisks are necessary.

congratulations.

It was a fun game to watch with a table full of Bears fans....

All the talk all week about the Bears "not trying" and playing "vanilla offense and defense" made the Packers extremely easy first drive against the Bears "chocolate with a caramel swirl" defense that more satisfying... I mean they just went right down the field with no resistence.....

And chocolate Cutler and Forte were about 10 times worse than Vanilla Cutler and Forte.... Just could not muster anything....

The Bears do better when they aren't really trying or game-planning! :overhead:

First Rodgers' INT was on Driver... a chance to put the game out of reach

Second INT is obviously on Rodgers, but he made a nice tackle on Urlacher.... again another chance to put the game out of reach...

Packers curled up into a very conservative ball which was disheartening, but they got the win and advance to the Super Bowl where they will play in good weather on a fast turf in front of a crowd that finally won't be hostile.... Got to like that...

Good season, Bears fans :doublethumbsup:

You are a good bunch... you don't deserve Shane Cutler as your QB...

Amber alert for Dr. J!!! :lol:

given the fact they won three road games--including knocking off both the #1 and #2 seeds in successive weeks--i don't think any asterisks are necessary.

congratulations.

#3 seed too (Philly)

I'll admit it's weird to see a QB not on crutches, without ice, who walked off the field without help take himself out of the game, but I'll wait on the MRI before I totally throw Cutler under the bus on this one.

I will, however, immediately and without reservation throw Cutler under the bus for doing absolutely nothing to help the team while he's on the sidelines. No mentoring of the QBs who are actually in the game, no reviewing photos with the o-line, nothing. That's inexcusable in any game, but especially a game of this magnitude.

First Rodgers' INT was on Driver... a chance to put the game out of reach

Wrong, the pass was at his ankles so Rodgers deserves at least 1/2 the blame.

Please... Driver makes that catch in his sleep....

I will split with you and go 1/4 Rodgers :music_guitarred:

I can see how any coach would fall in love with his skill set. Bowlen firing Shanahan was the worst thing that could have happened to Cutler's career.

Cutler remains the gold standard for QBs who did nothing in college...couldn't win, mediocre stats...but whose "raw skills" excite NFL talent wanks.

Next up, Jake Locker.

Id go with 1/4 maybe.

It was a fluke.

How often does a low pass end up intercepted?

Not saying it was a great pass...but certainly not one you would expect an INT on it.

Id go with 1/4 maybe.

It was a fluke.

How often does a low pass end up intercepted?

Not saying it was a great pass...but certainly not one you would expect an INT on it.

It was all a fluke.

Bears are all luck.

itsatip

Lost my most of my voice watching this game with a bunch of friends in an airport Chili's in Fort Myers. Great win!

Something about the personality of this team (and coach) causes them to lose focus and take their foot off the gas pedal. I think Rodgers has an interesting psychological profile (one I recognize in myself, actually - noticing how I play in my pool league): I think that when he's rolling, he truly feels and plays unstoppable, but it doesn't take much to throw that out of kilter, and then he plays with happy feet; loses focus and confidence, and has to work hard to create the momentum of good events needed to reacquire that edge.

I think McCarthy's personality doesn't help Rodgers over those low humps, and we as Packers fans end up holding on to the edge of our seats while that mental drama unfolds. McCarthy refuses to just push Rodgers out there during these crises of confidence going on in Rodgers' head, and I think it hurts him and his attempts to fight these 'downs'; not helps. In fact, I think McCarthy's proclivity to go conservative is at times the catalyst for Rodgers' slipping into happy feet/dumb things happening.

I think they both need to work together properly and bring out of Rodgers another level of his play which only briefly showed itself in the Falcons game. I think that starts with McCarthy losing his fear of losing the game due to playing too full out. He goes the opposite direction, and I think it hurts the psyche of this team more than it would most, due to the psychological profile of Rodgers.

Either way: we got something for you, Pittsburgh! :D

Please... Driver makes that catch in his sleep....

I will split with you and go 1/4 Rodgers :music_guitarred:

then I wonder why we don't see more passes at the ankles?

I am sorry but that is a bad pass at the High School level.

Cutler remains the gold standard for QBs who did nothing in college...couldn't win, mediocre stats...but whose "raw skills" excite NFL talent wanks.

Next up, Jake Locker.

Wrong, Cutler doesnt have a fraction of the intangibles that Locker has. Locker is a respected leader and a great guy. Cutler is a self-absorbed @ss hole. Locker could have quarterbacked at a lot of schools (or gone and played major league baseball) but he chose to stick around and help rebuild his hometown program. Two years ago the Huskies didn't win a game, this year they won a bowl game...something Cutler never achieved at Vanderbilt.

Not to jump all over you, it's still very up in the air on how successful Locker will be in the NFL, I just think Cutler and Locker are complete opposites from a personality standpoint. I think he compares much more favorably to Mallett in that department.

McNabb will go down as a player ahead of his time.

I am sorry but that is a bad pass at the High School level.

I don't think anybody ever said it was a good pass, StrawKing! :lol:

We are discussing the culpability of the INT.... In that DD not only missed the catch (on a lowly thrown ball, mind you...) One that he has made a million times in his career and possibly in his sleep, but he also kicked a ball that would otherwise fall incomplete straight up into air where it can be picked off, he assumes a greater share of the blame for the INT....

HTH :cheers:

Am I the only one thinking that the cheap shot from Peppers and the hand to the helmet on the same tackle, might have something to do with him being a little off the rest of the game? Granted, Bears D is awesome. He hung in there, but that was a hell of a hit to take for someone who already had 2 concussions this season. At least he now has two weeks to clears his thoughts and get down to business.

Am I the only one thinking that the cheap shot from Peppers and the hand to the helmet on the same tackle, might have something to do with him being a little off the rest of the game? Granted, Bears D is awesome. He hung in there, but that was a hell of a hit to take for someone who already had 2 concussions this season. At least he now has two weeks to clears his thoughts and get down to business.

Maybe. But Chicago knows Rodgers well, and they know how to slow him down as proven in the past. Also, Rodgers sounded pretty clear and coherent in the post game interview on the field and back in the lockeroom.

McNabb will go down as a player ahead of his time.

HA, now that was funny! :lol: