Sign in to follow this  
kutulu

Can any of you toothless shitbags recommend a kickass book to read?

And if it is political in nature it better be real focking good, dooshbag. :wave:

What do you normally read?

nonfiction? Fiction?

Normally I read football stuff, but we are in the dead time after the season (basically) and before the draft. Over the years, I've read a lot of true crime stuff, (serial killers, mobsters, western, etc)...history, both US and the world. Not saying no to fiction, either, though, as long as it kicks ass.

'A Game of Thrones' by George R.R. Martin.

Yeah, but couldn't I just wait for the HBO show?

Normally I read football stuff, but we are in the dead time after the season (basically) and before the draft. Over the years, I've read a lot of true crime stuff, (serial killers, mobsters, western, etc)...history, both US and the world. Not saying no to fiction, either, though, as long as it kicks ass.

The ICE MAN was phenomenal. He was on an HBO special years ago....Kuklinski was his last name...but thats a great read.

The Kennedy Detail was good but not great....the Dallas shooting stuff was really interesting though how they reacted, their thoughts, etc.

Tears in The Darkness is great if you enjoy war books...its about the Bataan Death March.

Columbine is very good if you like crime books....

If you get into adventure books at all.....

Into Thin Air is very good......

'A Game of Thrones' by George R.R. Martin.

Probably my favorite book evah, except it looks like the rahtard is never going to finish the series. :thumbsdown:

I'm kinda into historical fiction/fantasy, if you like that genre, a few suggestions:

- Anything by Guy-Gavriel Kay. He takes historical cultures and weaves a world around them, with varying levels of fantasy included. I'm reading "Under Heaven" now, his latest book which is based upon ancient China, but most of his works are based on Europe. "Last Light of the Sun" had a Viking theme for instance.

- Iain Pears, "Instance of a Fingerpost." Fascinating whodunnit based in medieval Europe. Might require more brain cells than kutulu has, though.

If you wanna stay with the sports theme, Mitch Albom has a few good ones. Especially "Tuesdays With Morrie". Good, good book. :thumbsup:

Yeah, but couldn't I just wait for the HBO show?

:thumbsup:

I thought about that after I wrote it. I'd still read it. The writing is very good and a LOT happens in those books, hard to believe they're going to capture it all on film.

If you wanna stay with the sports theme, Mitch Albom has a few good ones. Especially "Tuesdays With Morrie". Good, good book. :thumbsup:

Which is not really about sports...but yes all of his books have been good.

Sports book I read a couple of years ago was pretty good "Let Me Tell You A Story" Red Auerbach and John Feinstein.

One of my favorite authors is Charles Bukowski, if you want an autobiographical novel you might try "Ham on Rye". Or there are many good poetry collection ... you might try "Love is a Dog From Hell".

I just finished Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton (his last book b4 he died). Jamaica theme in the mid 1660's - fast read, couldn't put it down! Aaargh matey!

I've trashed more brain cells than you started with. :wave:

Hey kutulu, why did you delete this post? Also, congrats! :banana:

Anyway, perhaps more your speed would be "Men with Balls" by Drew Magary. A very funny tongue-in-cheek look at how to be a professional athlete.

Has anyone read the Krakauer book about Pat Tillman?

Yes its very good...but not a ton you prolly didnt already know. Krakauer wrote Into Thin Air....hes a very good writer so it keeps you into it....though you know a lot of the story.

The Prize: The Epic Quest for Oil, Money, & Power by Daniel Yergin.

Yes its very good...but not a ton you prolly didnt already know. Krakauer wrote Into Thin Air....hes a very good writer so it keeps you into it....though you know a lot of the story.

:thumbsup:

kutulu, check out The Financial Lives of the Poets. It's about a dude who loses his job as a business journalist and resorts to selling/smoking pot to get by. Pretty funny, smart, and well written.

If you like sports, have you ever read David Halberstam? I read couple of his baseball books: The Summer of '49 and The Teammates. I liked both of those. He wrote one about Bill Belichick that was interesting but not as good as the baseball books IMO.

Hey kutulu, why did you delete this post?

I didn't care for my tone. :wave:

"Every Dead Thing" by John Connolly and basically all of his Charlie Parker books. This is the first one.

If you like ghost stories, he also wrote Nocturns which has a lot of creepy short stories in it.

Unless required to do so by a teacher or professor, I don't normally read novels, however The Frontiersmen by Allan Eckart was prolly the best book I've ever read. It's about the history of Simon Kenton, Daniel Boone and Tecumseh. It's long, though (650 pages).

How to shave your balls. By Sux.

You will find this book in the horror section.

Any book by Vince Flynn. YWIA. :thumbsup:

You will find this book in the horror section.

Any book by Vince Flynn. YWIA. :thumbsup:

Sure its not in the fiction section???

Sux doesnt actually have balls does he?

Sure its not in the fiction section???

Sux doesnt actually have balls does he?

Well not as much as he had yesterday.

I recently finished The Confederacy of Dunces. Interesting read and very funny. I highly reccomend it.

Other good novels I've read lately: The Human Stain by Philip Roth, 100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garceau Marquez, and The Heart of the Matter by Graham Greene.

If you're looking for non-fiction, Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown is an excellent history of expansion into the American West.

Swan Song by Robert McCammon.

Great book. If you're a fan of his style "Mine" is very good also.

Sports book I read a couple of years ago was pretty good "Let Me Tell You A Story" Red Auerbach and John Feinstein.

One of my favorite authors is Charles Bukowski, if you want an autobiographical novel you might try "Ham on Rye". Or there are many good poetry collection ... you might try "Love is a Dog From Hell".

"Post Office" is one of my favorites. Very funny book. You'll never look at Post Office workers the same.

the dresden files by jim butcher. very good mix of fast paced popcorn fiction with some legit actual writing in it and better than all the stupid sh!t lit snobs will tell you to read

the dresden files by jim butcher. very good mix of fast paced popcorn fiction with some legit actual writing in it and better than all the stupid sh!t lit snobs will tell you to read

I just read the 1st book. I thought it was fun. :bandana:

The Bible by God

he said he doesnt read much fiction

here we go!!! :headbanger: :headbanger:

he said he doesnt read much fiction

here we go!!! :headbanger: :headbanger:

That's why I recommended a non-fiction book. :thumbsup: