Sign in to follow this  
LoOnAtIk

is CJ Spiller the next Reggie Bush?

Undoubtedly one of the most talented RBs in college football during his time there but can do sh!t in the NFL. Anyone still have hope in this guy being fantasy relevant this year?

Undoubtedly one of the most talented RBs in college football during his time there but can do sh!t in the NFL. Anyone still have hope in this guy being fantasy relevant this year?

He hasn't been THAT bad, it's just that Fjax has been THAT good. CJ has been averaging 7.2 YPC and has shown some real explosiveness in his limited role. He's been dropped in various leagues..I mean I dropped him for Redman. It's just been made obvious that it will take an injury to Fjax to make him fantasy relevant. It's also important to remember that although Fjax has limited wear and tear he is still rather old as far as RBs go. I don't care what anyone says, if you are 30+ and touching the ball 20+ times a game you are more susceptible to injury. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out seeing as how Gailey has recently come out saying that he'd like to use Fjax even more. Spiller still remains a high tier "handcuff" for the moment.

I don't think so. Believe it or not, FJax is 30, and will be 31 before the season is up. It is only a matter of time before the kid gets the rock. He will get it at a very good point as well. The offense is growing right now, and will be extremely established by the time CJ gets his.

He hasn't been THAT bad, it's just that Fjax has been THAT good. CJ has been averaging 7.2 YPC and has shown some real explosiveness in his limited role. He's been dropped in various leagues..I mean I dropped him for Redman. It's just been made obvious that it will take an injury to Fjax to make him fantasy relevant. It's also important to remember that although Fjax has limited wear and tear he is still rather old as far as RBs go. I don't care what anyone says, if you are 30+ and touching the ball 20+ times a game you are more susceptible to injury. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out seeing as how Gailey has recently come out saying that he'd like to use Fjax even more. Spiller still remains a high tier "handcuff" for the moment.

Great post. Everything you said I agree with. Still, like you, I dropped him for Redman.

well, the main difference to me, is that Bush got hurt and lost some of his speed. This kid still has blazing speed.

one thing I will point out, this type of RB (smallish and quick) often take a little longer to get on track. Key comparables, Tiki Barber took 3 years before truly emerging. Ray rice also did not emerge until year 2.

he(spiller) had one good game earlier in the year (week 2) where he had 4 carries for 63 yards.

There are various reasons why the kid may not be starting. I suspect the main one is related to his size. I expect he is having trouble with some blocking due to his smallish size. I heard rumours about his having trouble hanging onto the ball in practice, but as far as I know that is only a rumour.

I figure he will start to get significant playing time by mid season and will be ready to assume the starting role by year end or early next season.

No. Bush actually gets on the field enough to allow you to see that he's nothing special.

Spiller can't stay healthy, secure the ball or pass protect. That equals "limited touches and gadget plays" in NFL parlance.

No. Bush actually gets on the field enough to allow you to see that he's nothing special.

Spiller can't stay healthy, secure the ball or pass protect. That equals "limited touches and gadget plays" in NFL parlance.

Yeah, at least Bush produced something while with the Saints. Spiller has done next to nothing his first 20 games.

Yeah, at least Bush produced something while with the Saints. Spiller has done next to nothing his first 20 games.

Im a Buffalo homer and Bills lover and I can tell you that Spiller does have some of the same traits as Bush. He can catch and he has great speed. Unfortunately for fantasy owners, Spiller isnt used as much as a receiver as Bush was in his early years in NO.

Spillers main problem thus far has been that he outruns his blockers. As this season moves along I have seen him make great progress with this. He is slowly learning to let the play develop and his blocks to be set up. He will eventually be a pretty good RB in this league but right now Freddie Jackson is too well rounded a football player to supplant.

TBH, I wish they would try him in the slot a bit or even split to take advantage of some coverages but they have yet to do much of it.

Im a Buffalo homer and Bills lover and I can tell you that Spiller does have some of the same traits as Bush. He can catch and he has great speed. Unfortunately for fantasy owners, Spiller isnt used as much as a receiver as Bush was in his early years in NO.

Spillers main problem thus far has been that he outruns his blockers. As this season moves along I have seen him make great progress with this. He is slowly learning to let the play develop and his blocks to be set up. He will eventually be a pretty good RB in this league but right now Freddie Jackson is too well rounded a football player to supplant.

TBH, I wish they would try him in the slot a bit or even split to take advantage of some coverages but they have yet to do much of it.

Interesting. I would love it if he could produce at a Reggie-in-New-Orleans level.

When a 1st round draft pick in his second year can't beat out a 30 y.o. un-drafted Division III player from Coe College, it's time to move on.

When a 1st round draft pick in his second year can't beat out a 30 y.o. un-drafted Division III player from Coe College, it's time to move on.

Fred Jackson has 359 RYDS, 147 RECYDS, a 5.8YPC, and 4 TDs. Id like to know how many players in the NFL COULD beat him out. My question has never been why Spiller hasnt beaten out Freddy. My question has been why did they draft a RB in the first place. Spiller has talent but Freddy has has been brilliant since hes come to Buffalo even before they could do anything on Offense. Fred is a stud. Whether hes 30 or undrafted or whatever. He can run, catch, and block with the best of them. Spiller hasnt caught Freddy and thats a fact but not many RBs in the NFL have his abilities either.

That being said, I believe Spiller is a special kind of player too. I think he will be incorporated into the offense more and more as the season progresses and he learns as I have already stated above.

I think this is actually a pretty decent comparison.

Spiller in no way reminds me of Ray Rice. MJD is the closest that comes to mind for him.

Spiller in no way reminds me of Ray Rice. MJD is the closest that comes to mind for him.

HUH?

HUH?

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that 'small backs like Tiki Barber and Ray Rice need a couple of years to get going.'

I was saying that in NO WAY does Spiller remind of me Ray Rice. The closest Ray Rice comparison I see is MJD.

Fred Jackson has 359 RYDS, 147 RECYDS, a 5.8YPC, and 4 TDs. Id like to know how many players in the NFL COULD beat him out. My question has never been why Spiller hasnt beaten out Freddy. My question has been why did they draft a RB in the first place. Spiller has talent but Freddy has has been brilliant since hes come to Buffalo even before they could do anything on Offense. Fred is a stud. Whether hes 30 or undrafted or whatever. He can run, catch, and block with the best of them. Spiller hasnt caught Freddy and thats a fact but not many RBs in the NFL have his abilities either.

That being said, I believe Spiller is a special kind of player too. I think he will be incorporated into the offense more and more as the season progresses and he learns as I have already stated above.

I hear ya. Jackson is wayyyyyy better than his resume. He done mighty good this season!

But I think you're giving Spiller too much credit. The Bills didn't draft/pay him as a 1st rounder for nothing. He's done absolutely nothing in two years. Clearly, he ain't as good as they hoped... regardless of how good Jackson has been.

I see your point, but this is not your ordinary 30 Y.O. undrafted player. His stats this year show hes as good or better than many of the first round picks out there.

Any new thoughts here now that Spiller is looking like the man in Buffalo?

C'mon Chan give the kid the rock, let him prove he was worth it as a pick.

I hear Bush, MJD, McCluster and Charles. Reality is he has a career 4.2 YPC avg, including 5.5 in very limited chances this year.

Closing schedule:

13 12/04/11 TEN

14 12/11/11 @SD

15 12/18/11 MIA

16 12/24/11 DEN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfGsXxPzI70

I've picked him up. You tell me.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SpilC.00/gamelog/

nothing like mjd or rice... bush was the right comparison. mjd and rice arent scared running in between the tackles.

Spiller never had the chance to be a full time back. I think this is a bad week for his first start at the Jets, but if he can get 4 ypc, that'll show a lot. I'm expecting 60 rushing yards, 40 receiving yards, and very hopeful for a lucky TD.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/2011/11/spiller-eager-to-run.html

Bills running back C.J. Spiller is eager to see more time at his natural position, running back, this week against the New York Jets. Spiller has been playing mostly at wide receiver the past month, but now must assume the No. 1 running back job with the injury to Fred Jackson.

Said Spiller: "I’ve been away from home. That’s kind of how I look at it. But it definitely feels good to start getting more running back reps … just getting into that mode, that mindset."

Spiller knows it will not be easy to run on the Jets.

"Any time you play a Rex Ryan defense there’s no dancing around," he said. "Them guys, they fly around, a lot of bodies moving. You’ve got to hit it as north and south as fast as possible. Whenever you see it you’ve got to get it. That’s typical NFL because those holes close quickly, especially against a good defense. You cant take nothing against these guys. It’s a great defense."

Bills QB Ryan Fitzpatrick on the loss of Jackson: “It’s tough not having Fred out there on the field. We know where his heart is and where his mind’s going to be...with us. He’s not going to be able to be out there with us this week unfortunately, so we have to have the next guy step up. That’ll be CJ, and we expect big things out of CJ. We expect him to get in there and make big plays, and we’ll see how it goes. he’s going to get a chance.”

I'm quoting myself not because Fjax got injured but because I believe Spiller will hold legitimate fantasy value. It's the Spiller show now.

I'll agree that Spiller could end up having value. Buffalo will be left with no depth at RB. Spiller now becomes one of the few backs left in the league that is going to get 3 down work with nobody that will vulture from him. That is worth something. These kind of things happen every year and Samkon Gado or Ron Dayne come on with fresh legs and put good fantasy numbers. You can expect Spiller to be good for 100 total yards per game and a TD every couple of games.

nothing like mjd or rice... bush was the right comparison. mjd and rice arent scared running in between the tackles.

I meant Rice=MJD

Spiller and Bush is right on.

I'll agree that Spiller could end up having value. Buffalo will be left with no depth at RB. Spiller now becomes one of the few backs left in the league that is going to get 3 down work with nobody that will vulture from him. That is worth something. These kind of things happen every year and Samkon Gado or Ron Dayne come on with fresh legs and put good fantasy numbers. You can expect Spiller to be good for 100 total yards per game and a TD every couple of games.

Wow, that's rock solid, low #1RB material. From your lips to Gods ears brutha! :headbanger:

Guy who is freakin 2-8 in my league drafted Spiller and has for some unGodly reason held onto him this entire time. I went to snag that b@stard off WW and the guy still has him after 10 weeks of nothing. Lost out on Kevin Smith and never had a chance at Spiller.

:wall:

Guy who is freakin 2-8 in my league drafted Spiller and has for some unGodly reason held onto him this entire time. I went to snag that b@stard off WW and the guy still has him after 10 weeks of nothing. Lost out on Kevin Smith and never had a chance at Spiller.

:wall:

I wouldn't sweat it dude. He's not very good and I could easily see a crappy RBBC here.

I drafted him.. and only held cause i'm in a deep league and other ww adds got taken ahead of me.

Not that anyone cares but in my 14 team league I went from having only having Forte, a questionable starks and McFadden to adding:

Gerhart

DWill

Spiller

and Swapped Earl Bennett for Santana Moss. My league must have been asleep at the wheel this week.

My league must have been asleep at the wheel this week.

It seems to happen near the end of the FF season. Those out of contention don't bother and those in first place seem to sit on their 'stacked' team. Some of it could be people busy preparing for Turkey Day too.

It's their money

Throughout the year have grabbed battle, McKnight, now smith and spiller all off waivers vs a free agent bid Swapped the first two for manning and crabtree and my opponent this week had flax

I find this board to be a great resource

Its usually more about the situation a player is in.

Choice in Dallas - Behind Felix and Barber, than behind Murray and Felix = never had value.

Choice in Washington - In a cluttered mess with Torrain and Helu and the Rat making maters even worse.

Choice in Buffalo - FJax now out of the picture, Spiller has been given every chance and never took it, and White is a rook that will struggle in the passing game.

Choice at the very least has the hand up in 3rd down situations because he can pick up the blocking schemes better than either Spiller or White, so might emerge in time for FF playoffs as the feature back in this situation.

Spiller was number one on my waiver list this week ahead of Kevin Smith. I may come to regret that, but Smith has had an opportunity before and hasn't done much with it. The Lions are a different team now and that will help him, but in terms of raw talent, Spiller is a much better back. And he's finally getting the opportunity to show what he can do. It may not happen this week, but down the stretch I think Spiller will prove to be the more consistent contributor.

Its usually more about the situation a player is in.

Choice in Dallas - Behind Felix and Barber, than behind Murray and Felix = never had value.

Choice in Washington - In a cluttered mess with Torrain and Helu and the Rat making maters even worse.

Choice in Buffalo - FJax now out of the picture, Spiller has been given every chance and never took it, and White is a rook that will struggle in the passing game.

Choice at the very least has the hand up in 3rd down situations because he can pick up the blocking schemes better than either Spiller or White, so might emerge in time for FF playoffs as the feature back in this situation.

Choice was brought in to shore up depth, nothing more.