Sign in to follow this  
Evil Genius

Notable and bad beats

A nemesis of mine in my 12-Team Keeper League wins his Week 13 match-up, with all scoring finishing Sunday night . He just squeezes it out to win by 0.2 points (over a basement team) to go 8-5 and ensure himself a playoff spot - our playoffs start in Week 14, kicking off this Thursday.

Then, late last night, well after the Monday nighter, a Stat adjustment loads in on CBS, giving the basement squad an additional full point from his D/ST, and swinging the result from a W to a L - the nemesis is now 7-6.

So, 48 hours after his supposed narrow victory, he is now tied with 3 other teams - whereupon he loses all the tie-breaks and finishes as the #8 seed, two positions out of the playoffs.

For him, a crushing and demoralizing defeat, from glory to gut-wrenching, waking up to find out he's DONE.

Using this colossal deflation as the spring board for your memory:

What's the worst defeat you've ever suffered (or witnessed) in FF - this year or historically...?

Not me but the guy I played this week. He was down big with V-Jax and Mattews to go last night.

He's been leading his division since week 1. Was the #2 seed all year until last week.

Good games out of his guys but our game end in a tie. We have total TD's scored as a tiebreaker. 7 to 6 TD's for me with the Dolphins D as the go ahead.

He ends up a game back in his division and tied for last wildcard but loses the tiebreaker.

Out of playoffs.

I needed a tie or a win!!! MJD/Gates down by 32 last night.... :wacko:

Lost...

110-111

MJD taken out of the game with 6 minutes left and 97yds rushing...

Just...3...more...focking yards... :shocking:

I lose the last 2 games. My team puts up good points but my opponents absolutely go off with about 160 points.

Another team is surging with 1 game to go, loses his matchup leaving us as a record tie. I win tiebreakers on < 30 PF. Chris Johnson literally killed him. He's out of playoffs I nab the spot.

Brian Westbrook taking a knee at the one instead of scoring against Dallas a few years ago cost me the coveted championship and $1200.

I'll never forgive that b*stard...

Brian Westbrook taking a knee at the one instead of scoring against Dallas a few years ago cost me the coveted championship and $1200.

I think westbrook killed a lot of people that year including the guy who owned him in our league costing him $1200.

Same fellow in my original post - the Nemesis...

...I am playing him last year in the semi-final of our Dynasty League.

With all the scoring to be completed in the 4 o'clock games, he has the last player going - McFadden, as the Oakland game is finishing slightly later than all others. Slowly but surely, my early lead is dwindling as McFadden is running the lights out on Denver.

Comes to the 2 minute warning in the Oakland-Denver game and I am still up, barely, holding on by 0.1 points.

One lousy rush yard.

And I would lose the tie-breaker.

Back from the commercial break, Campbell has three straight kneel downs to preserve the win for Oakland, as Denver is out of time outs (!). I go on to win the Championship while Nemesis goes to the 3rd place game. He would have won in the Final, had he made it there.

But he came up a yard short. :pointstosky:

Im going up against Wes Welker this week who has scored about 180 points against me in 2 matchups this year already. Here's to hoping a safety pays to clock him out of the game while he's defenseless. :cheers:

I'm 7-6

5 of my losses came on MNF in the 4th quarter

4 out of those 5 I started with leads of over 50 pts

3 times the defense I was playing scored 40+ points

1 game I lost to my girlfriend by .15 in garbage time to Shonn Greene (whom I traded) running into the pile to run out the clock

This year has been painful

Draft day 2005. Mark is notoriously late for everything, and does most draft prep out of an outdated magazine on draft night. Shows up late, with an outdated magazine touting Tatum Bell/Den as the breakout star. He promptly takes Bell as his second round pick. Laughs and laughs at how Bell is going to win him the title. Mark likes to talk.

Bell spends the season in Shanny's dreaded RBBC with Mike Anderson and somebody...maybe Ron Dayne. Mark drafts Mike Anderson as well in a late round; guy had like 30 carries the year before. But in 2005 he's tearing it up. Bell becomes the handcuff, barely playing some weeks, hurt others...like I said, it's Tatum Bell. Mark has QB injuries near the end of the season and picks up a really good QB in a really lopsided trade with Bell as a throw in. Laughs and laughs at how that trade is going to put him over the top. Sends out a league email saying "See? I TOLD you Tatum Bell was going to win me the title!"

Week 16 championship game. Mark has run roughshod through the playoffs. Mike Anderson a Sunday inactive.

Bell gets his first start of the season for Mark's opponent. He goes 12-15 carries for like 40 yards...and 3 TD.

Wins title for his team.

And we laughed and laughed.

I remember thinking how smart of a play it was then thinking right after that 'sh!t, he just azz focked every FF owner'.

Same fellow in my original post - the Nemesis...

But he came up a yard short. :pointstosky:

Seems like YOU'RE his nemesis man. :cheers:

My worst 'bad beats'

Back to back losses in the league championships.

First year I lose because I grabbed the only 2 RBs on the WW with favorable matchups. I leave my opponent Dominic Rhodes going against a very solid Chargers DEF. He promptly goes for 130+ yds, several recepts + rec yards and a TD or two.

Second year I start Kurt Warner and Boldin in New England (the year the Cards went to SB). Between the two of them, I got 5 points MAYBE. I got rolled so bad it was embarrassing. :shame:

I guy in my league flaked right before the draft, so I draft his team for him. I have to listen to him cry about how I drafted him a bad team, and then the only moves he makes all year are trading out kickers, and he gets the 2 seed in the playoffs, and I'm the 5th seed.

Last year first round of playoffs week 14. I was #1 seed, high points, everything. Played 8th seed. Scored top points by a mile for the week and was up by over 50 at half time in the Monday night game. That was the game where Baltimore was demolishing Texans. Guy had Schaub and AJ. I watched in horror as the points got closer and closer in the second half. I said no way could the impossible happen. Next thing I knew Schaub rolled out and hit AJ tip toeing in the back of the end zone for his 2nd TD. Done...out of playoffs. Guy went on to win SB which I would have won the way it played out. I can remember like it was yesterday.

7-8 years ago in week 13 I had chad Pennington and my opponent had the Oak Def. Monday night and I was bartending so I really could not take notice of what points were being score but I watched the last play of the game. Pennington being intercepted by the Def. I get home 4 am and check the site to see if I won. Turns out I lost by a point, so I had a 3 point lead before the last play but lost 2 points on the int and the Def got 2 points giving my opponent a 1 point win and the playoff spot.

I had a 3 point lead before the last play but lost 2 points on the int and the Def got 2 points giving my opponent a 1 point win and the playoff spot.

To have a 3 point lead erased on a meaningless final play with a -4 point swing? Killer.

What makes it the worst is that you were starting Chad Pennington. :blink:

I've seen a few with a yard missed here, a FG missed there, or say a 49 yard FG where a 50 yard FG wiould get someone a win, or a playoff berth or a championship. Those are tough.

But I have come to conclude that, as with one of my leagues last night that the single worst thing is to be waiting for a RB, WR or TE who actually does pretty well in a final game, but just not well enough when just a *decent game is needed. So for instance an owner in a league I'm in got 6/70/0 out of Gates last night but missed the playioffs by 1.1 points in an 0.5 PPR system. So basically one more 6 yard pass to Gates and he's in. Gates got his last pass at about 13:00 left in the fourth quarter. At that point you'd figure just one more 6 yard pass and that's it, he's in. But no, he waited the ... whole... 4th quarter and nada, not a single catch, not a single yard more for Antonio Gates.

But I have come to conclude that, as with one of my leagues last night that the single worst thing is to be waiting for a RB, WR or TE who actually does pretty well in a final game, but just not well enough when just a *decent game is needed.

I would disagree - it's worse to have a smallish lead on Monday and pray all night for something not to happen.

It's much more fun to wait and cheer and hope for Gates to get that last catch...and if and when it does happen - elation.

A notable win:

A couple years ago I had traded Brees to get Favre in a ReDraft - call me crazy, I am cheesehead.

First game after the trade, Favre is playing Denver in the Monday nighter. In the FF League, I am up against a huge Denver fan...so it's Fantasy, and reality, clashing on all levels - and of course, Favre is the last guy going in the Fantasy match-up.

Slowly but surely, Favre closes the gap - he's having a decent game, but never quite catches me up. The Denver-Green bay game goes to overtime. Looking at Favre's stats, there is no way I figure I can win, especially as the Pack win the toss, and seem to be a sure thing to drive the field, kick a FG and end it. I am behind by about 10 points. Even if Favre throws a TD to end it, a balanced attack down the field will probably still have me losing by 3 or 4. I figure my consolation is that the Pack look good to at least win the damned game.

Then, first play from scrimmage in OT, Favre throws a bomb down the left sideline to Jennings, to not only win the ballgame, but snags Favre about 80 more passing yards, a PaTD and puts him over the 300yd bonus. I win by a point and the Denver dude loses on both levels in one gigantic play.

I'm pretty sure this will be a bad beat for me this weekend. The item that will be the salt in the wound will be that I'll likely get beat by Percy Harvin, who I drafted and held onto for several weeks but finally got sick of waiting on. So I drop him, and he gets snagged after about a week on WW, then Peterson gets hurt. Now I'm playing the guy who scooped him up and will likely get crushed by my own draft pick...welcome to a little slice of being me.

I WON that year because of Westbrook's "heads-up" play :banana: Won by 1 point in semis that game, then on to win the championship ! Ya know, if you think about it, That was a great play on his part....and definitely a "heads-up" play !!!! :thumbsup:

I'm pretty sure this will be a bad beat for me this weekend. The item that will be the salt in the wound will be that I'll likely get beat by Percy Harvin, who I drafted and held onto for several weeks but finally got sick of waiting on. So I drop him, and he gets snagged after about a week on WW, then Peterson gets hurt. Now I'm playing the guy who scooped him up and will likely get crushed by my own draft pick...welcome to a little slice of being me.

I was in the same boat w/ Harvin. Seems like he was just waiting for me to cut his ass before turning it on.

Some might say this is nitpicking since I got the 1 seed and won the total points payout, but last week, I fell about 5.5 points short of the highest score of the season which also has a payout. Points I missed:

Brady's lateral to Gronk

Vernon's 40 yard TD drop (a 14.5 point play with a 4 point bonus).

Cundiff missing his first FG of the season under 40 yards (4 point swing) and 2nd missing FG of under 50 yards (5 point swing)

I was in the same boat w/ Harvin. Seems like he was just waiting for me to cut his ass before turning it on.

Patience is a virtue. You should never drop a player that talented, especially when your bench really should be reserved for upside players anyway, who can break into your starting lineup and even be key pieces, as opposed to mediocre players who are less than or equivalent to your worst starters and don't have such upside.

I not only held onto Percy in both leagues, partly because I knew Ponder would eventually get a chance, but I haven't even been able to bring myself to bench him even once.

Patience is a virtue. You should never drop a player that talented, especially when your bench really should be reserved for upside players anyway, who can break into your starting lineup and even be key pieces, as opposed to mediocre players who are less than or equivalent to your worst starters and don't have such upside.

I not only held onto Percy in both leagues, partly because I knew Ponder would eventually get a chance, but I haven't even been able to bring myself to bench him even once.

Getting beat in part by a player you previously dropped is ironic perhaps, and feels crappy perhaps because you want to kick yourself...but I would not characterize it as a 'bad beat'.

A bad beat is where you:

- are precariously, dangerously close to winning and yet, tragically fail...typically for inexplicable or laughable reasons

- lead by a huge margin and still somehow lose due to some unexplainable, longshot, monstrous comeback by the Browns, Bucs or Lions

- have incredibly favourable or stacked odds and still somehow lose on a TD bomb to Joe Nobody

- lose by some miniscule amount due to bizarre circumstances

- lose at the very last possible opportunity, often on a meaningless play or strange happenstance

- lose to a hated nemesis or rival within notable circumstances

- lose to a clueless, daft or tomfool leaguemate, annoying in-law, prepubescent or female relative who has no concept of football whatsoever

Down by like .4 going into the last Pit-Balt game. I have Boldin he has Wallace. Neck and neck the whole game. Last play of the game Wallace laterals to Brown which is recovered by Balt. He loses 2 points and I win by .6

I few years back I was up 1 point going into the final 2 minutes. My QB had like 12 yards rushing which = 1 point for me. 3 kneel downs later I end up in a tie and lose the tie breaker.

First year to play was 1995. Made it to the superbowl. Monday nite football with the 49ers at home vs Vikings. I am up 51pts with arguably the best fantasy Qb Steve Young. Steve Young throws for 400 plus passing 4tds pass and 1 td Rush.

AND I LOSE........ :wall:

How did this happen? He had Jerry Rice with 16 catches 289 receiving and 4tds, Warren Moon with 300 pass and 2 or 3tds, and Wr minn Jake Reed with 6-80 1td or so and I lose by 3 or 4pts.

Try and top that anyone....lol. I am still in the same league of guys, hooked on ffootball and can still hear Al Michaels yelling at the top of his lungs....."JERRRRRRRRRRY RICE"! in my nightmares. :doh:

This is the worst beat I've ever had. This was week 11.

My Lineup

QB Matt Ryan 16.94

WR Wes Welker 4.20

WR Greg Jennings 2.60

WR Nate Washington 32.50

RB Chris Johnson 5.80

RB Shonn Greene 2.40

TE Kellen Winslow 22.20

K David Akers 12.00

DEF Detroit 5.00

Total 103.64

My opponents

QB Drew Brees Bye 0.00

WR Brandon Lloyd 17.70

WR Jordy Nelson 30.30

WR Mike Williams 21.30

RB Ray Rice 31.70

RB Frank Gore 10.40

TE Jimmy Graham Bye 0.00

K Billy Cundiff 7.00

DEF Tampa Bay 0.00

Total 118.40

Three donuts, two on bye, and he wins. If I had won, I'd be riding a six game win streak right now. :wall:

Guy in my CBS league, who has the worst luck ive seen in fantasy football, needed 2 wins and was down 1 in one matchup and 5 in other matchup with Aaron Hernandez and when the Hernandez TD was called back a couple weeks ago cost in last minute couple Monday's ago cost him his season. He would have went 2-0 but went 0-2 and missed playoffs by 1.5 games :shocking:

I seem to have no shortage of stories (since I started this damned thread).

This year is my Dynasty League I am 12-1 to finish the 'regular' Fantasy season. Best record I have had in 10 years of Fantasy participation.

In week 4, I endured my only loss.

It was on the very last carry, of the very last meaningful play on the Monday nighter. Blount runs for 4 yards for 0.4 Fantasy points, whereupon the Bucs kneel down and seal the deal.

I lose the match-up 182.25 to 182.35

That close to a 13-0 record. Talk about a game of inches....I was three feet from perfection.

But I think losing a game focused my team for the rest of the way. :huh:

I don't remember the exact details, but several years ago an owner that had been a perennial doormat in my league - we'll call him Bob - finally put together a hot streak and got into the playoffs, cruising all the way to the finals. Then, the clouds parted and the angels sang as he won a close fantasy bowl game for his first championship, erasing years of misery...

...but wait...

After going to bed on Monday night with championship dreams, Bob awoke to a Tuesday morning nightmare. Our website (Fanball, at the time) had made a small scoring adjustment during the night to an inconsequential player, maybe even a team defense, and it flipped our league championship.

Same downtrodden owner a year or two later gets back to the finals and this time holds a commanding lead going into Monday night, a Christmas night game with Baltimore versus somebody. His opponent (me) had only Kyle Boller and Mark Clayton left to play, both late season free agent injury fill-ins. Again, it was congratulations all around for Bob on his first title, finally...

...but wait...

Boller and Clayton proceed to both have the night of their careers, posting nearly 60 fantasy points between them, and a late game TD pass from Boller puts the final nail in the coffin- Bob loses by 3 or 4 points. In our league, it is still referred to as "The Christmas Miracle" and Clayton himself is forever known as "Christmas Magic".

As for Bob, he retired in misery from the league a year or two after that, always remembered for the two most heartbreaking championship losses in league history.