Sign in to follow this  
kutulu

Self Defense Killing in Florida...Geeks got an opinion?

There are eyewitnesses who back up the guys story.

The girlfriend angle is awkward, what kind of thug calls his girl when someone is following him

Find out the real reason for his suspension

The two stock photos they're using are 4+ years old

This story screams of the media getting everyone riled up while some poor kid is shot dead.

This is going to be a bad one

I agree it's bad in so many ways.

But the fact that Trayvon was on the phone with his girlfriend is a fact. They have the phone records. She also has given an affidavit saying that Trayvon was scared and that she heard Zimmerman approach him and ask what he was doing there.

I don't know the reason why he was suspended matters. Maybe he did have pot at school. I've had pot in my possession at many points in my lifetime, and I'm not sure that means that I am some criminal that deserves to be stalked and shot by overzealous neighborhood watch people.

I'm sure they are using the old photos to touch the heart strings of the American people. I'm also sure the parents are the ones who provided the photos.

As for the whole situation... I was followed one time. I was really dumb. It was 4:00 in the morning and I went to a friend's house after the bars. I decided to walk home about 4 blocks to my house. I knew I shouldn't have been doing it but I just wanted to be home. When I got a half a block from my house, I realized I was being followed. A guy was walking right behind me and as I sped up, so did he. I put my keys in between my knuckles in a fist and I contemplated spinning around and stabbing the guy with them. I was terrified. I got to my door and managed to slam the door literally an inch from his face before he followed me into the house.

I guess I can understand the kind of terror you might feel when you are innocently walking down the street by yourself and someone is following you. You are naturally assuming that the reason the person is following you to cause you some kind of harm, which in the majority of cases they probably are. I think it would be sad if I died that night and the thug who was following me got off because he used the self-defense case. Because I never would have done anything if he wasn't threatening me in the first place.

I've said this before, I have a hard time believing any scenario where Zimmerman was going back to his SUV and Trayvon jumped him and started beating the shiit out of him. That just doesn't make any sense to me.

That says nothing about how the altercation STARTED.

You're right, it doesn't. It does, however, corroborate Zimmerman's story that the kid was trying to bash his brains out. Now, whether Martin did it because he felt he was in danger is another issue.

As for possible scenarios, it's entirely possible that Martin was pissed about being followed, especially if he felt it was racially motivated. Combine that with teenage hormones and stupidity...

I agree it's bad in so many ways.

But the fact that Trayvon was on the phone with his girlfriend is a fact. They have the phone records. She also has given an affidavit saying that Trayvon was scared and that she heard Zimmerman approach him and ask what he was doing there.

I don't know the reason why he was suspended matters. Maybe he did have pot at school. I've had pot in my possession at many points in my lifetime, and I'm not sure that means that I am some criminal that deserves to be stalked and shot by overzealous neighborhood watch people.

I'm sure they are using the old photos to touch the heart strings of the American people. I'm also sure the parents are the ones who provided the photos.

As for the whole situation... I was followed one time. I was really dumb. It was 4:00 in the morning and I went to a friend's house after the bars. I decided to walk home about 4 blocks to my house. I knew I shouldn't have been doing it but I just wanted to be home. When I got a half a block from my house, I realized I was being followed. A guy was walking right behind me and as I sped up, so did he. I put my keys in between my knuckles in a fist and I contemplated spinning around and stabbing the guy with them. I was terrified. I got to my door and managed to slam the door literally an inch from his face before he followed me into the house.

I guess I can understand the kind of terror you might feel when you are innocently walking down the street by yourself and someone is following you. You are naturally assuming that the reason the person is following you to cause you some kind of harm, which in the majority of cases they probably are. I think it would be sad if I died that night and the thug who was following me got off because he used the self-defense case. Because I never would have done anything if he wasn't threatening me in the first place.

I've said this before, I have a hard time believing any scenario where Zimmerman was going back to his SUV and Trayvon jumped him and started beating the shiit out of him. That just doesn't make any sense to me.

The ONLY reason I brought up the pot deal was to embarrass peenie since she said she he was suspended for being tardy.

I don't see why you think this is so far fetched. Maybe Zimmerman followed him a bit to make sure he wasn't doing anything wrong since they are in a gated community with a neighborhood watch.

Hell, around here in southern Indiana, we have neighborhoods that have neighborhood watch. THey even put out signs telling folks this is a neighborhood watch area. You know why. To tell you you will be watched if you are in this neighborhood.

Anyway, we all know how kids are today. They fly off the handle at the drop of the hat. It's the attitude today with our youths.

I am not saying I KNOW what happened, because I don't. I just think it is silly for to act like it is over the top outrageous to think some kid that thinks he is gangster might attack someone following him.

Also, it wasn't a gated community, it was a damn apartment complex, there isn't much more to this than the media making a huge story about a bad story.

You're right, it doesn't. It does, however, corroborate Zimmerman's story that the kid was trying to bash his brains out. Now, whether Martin did it because he felt he was in danger is another issue.

As for possible scenarios, it's entirely possible that Martin was pissed about being followed, especially if he felt it was racially motivated. Combine that with teenage hormones and stupidity...

It is possible. I just have a hard time believing that is what happened. :dunno:

As I've said before... this entire focked up situation could have been avoided if Zimmerman was just put through the normal criminal justice process and stood trial in front of an impartial jury, which will be damn near impossible at this point.

And if there is some focked up law where you can kill someone, with conflicting evidence as to how it went down, and not have to stand trial in front of your peers where they can hear all of the evidence and make a decision, something is extremely focked up with that law.

Also, it wasn't a gated community, it was a damn apartment complex, there isn't much more to this than the media making a huge story about a bad story.

Most communities in Florida are a "gated community". It really just means a little development with houses/condos/apartments all built at the same time. :dunno:

Most communities in Florida are a "gated community". It really just means a little development with houses/condos/apartments all built at the same time. :dunno:

I know, it the media way of making it sound much more affluent and that this random guy is just blasting away black kids. Notice how they always mention he's a white Latino?

Media is behind most of this to promote outrage

It is possible. I just have a hard time believing that is what happened. :dunno:

As I've said before... this entire focked up situation could have been avoided if Zimmerman was just put through the normal criminal justice process and stood trial in front of an impartial jury, which will be damn near impossible at this point.

And if there is some focked up law where you can kill someone, with conflicting evidence as to how it went down, and not have to stand trial in front of your peers where they can hear all of the evidence and make a decision, something is extremely focked up with that law.

I agree. But a case shouldn't be going to a jury unless the prosecutors believe there will be a conviction, or at least there is a good chance for one. And, based on the information we have now, no impartial jury in the country would convict him of murder. At most, you could make the case for negligent murder (or manslaughter, something like that, I'm no lawyer) for setting the events in motion.

I know, it the media way of making it sound much more affluent and that this random guy is just blasting away black kids. Notice how they always mention he's a white Latino?

Media is behind most of this to promote outrage ratings

Fixored.

Most journalists have already decided what the story is, and have reported it as such. Racist white guy blows away innocent black teen and avoids prosecution due to permissive gun law is a much bigger ratings grabber than Latino shoots black teen who was pounding him over a big misunderstanding.

Basically the only way this could have gone down as Zimmerman says is if Zimmerman started following Martin, Martin tries to leave, Zimmerman confronts him and possibly initiates a physical altercation, Martin flips the fock out and goes level ten on Zimmerman.

I kinda doubt it went down like that, but even if it did, isn't it still Zimmerman's fault for initiating everything? Especially given that 911 dispatch told him not to follow Martin and Martin unquestionably tried to leave the area?

Plus if Martin was really bashing Zimmerman's head against the sidewalk to the point where Zimmerman was forced to kill or be killed, then why the fock did Zimmerman not even have to go to the hospital?

If only we had a process where we collected together a group of unbiased people, had them listen to the evidence from both sides, and let them decide if he was guilty. If we did such a thing, I'd want the guilty decision to be unanimous, because that is a serious charge.

I think I'm onto something. Thoughts?

:thumbsup:

This post got overlooked. And it sums it all up.

Basically the only way this could have gone down as Zimmerman says is if Zimmerman started following Martin, Martin tries to leave, Zimmerman confronts him and possibly initiates a physical altercation, Martin flips the fock out and goes level ten on Zimmerman.

I kinda doubt it went down like that, but even if it did, isn't it still Zimmerman's fault for initiating everything? Especially given that 911 dispatch told him not to follow Martin and Martin unquestionably tried to leave the area?

:lol: This is just going to crush you if we learn that Zimmerman is telling the truth and found innocent.

Plus if Martin was really bashing Zimmerman's head against the sidewalk to the point where Zimmerman was forced to kill or be killed, then why the fock did Zimmerman not even have to go to the hospital?

How many times you going to let someone bash your head into the sidewalk before you shoot them???

This is another very valid point. Zimmerman wasn't even hurt enough to have to go to the hospital until the next day (which I'd bet a dollar was at the advice of lawyers) so is the use of deadly force really justified here?

This is another very valid point. Zimmerman wasn't even hurt enough to have to go to the hospital until the next day (which I'd bet a dollar was at the advice of lawyers) so is the use of deadly force really justified here?

You need to learn to differentiate between moral justification from legal justification, and frame your questions accordingly. But, given that we don't know how far it would have gone had Zimmerman not shot Martin, the answer would be yes. This is, of course, assuming things went down as Zimmerman has said.

Why?

:lol: This is just going to crush you if we learn that Zimmerman is telling the truth and found innocent.

No it won't "crush" me. I have no personal attachment to the victim. But I will be very surprised if that's how it plays out.

Plus I'm just not sure what "innocent" means here. We know Zimmerman instigated this by following the victim against the what the dispatcher said. I don't think he can ever truly be "innocent" in this altercation, though certainly he could be less guilty then I believe he is right now.

Why?

Because of the facts laid out in Zimmerman's 911 call and the victim's girlfriend's affidavit.

You need to learn to differentiate between moral justification from legal justification, and frame your questions accordingly. But, given that we don't know how far it would have gone had Zimmerman not shot Martin, the answer would be yes. This is, of course, assuming things went down as Zimmerman has said.

I'm not a lawyer and I'm not going to pretend I am one by googling a bunch of stuff. In my OPINION, having no legal experience whatsoever, I think if we are in a situation where someone can shoot another human being and not stand trial in front of a group of their impartial peers to determine whether or not the actions that led to another human being's death were justifiable, because there is some law that says they don't have to, then that is way focked up. In my OPINION.

Because of the facts laid out in Zimmerman's 911 call and the victim's girlfriend's affidavit.

From everything I've read there's still a lot of uncertainty about what happened. I don't think anyone can say "the only way it could have happened........."

Also... I just want to put this on the record. A number of people, including Zimmerman's defense lawyer and Jeb Bush have come forward and said the "Stand Your Ground" laws have nothing to do with this situation. This was a plain and simple self defense case and the controversial "Stand Your Ground" laws are not applicable here. :dunno:

I'm not a lawyer and I'm not going to pretend I am one by googling a bunch of stuff. In my OPINION, having no legal experience whatsoever, I think if we are in a situation where someone can shoot another human being and not stand trial in front of a group of their impartial peers to determine whether or not the actions that led to another human being's death were justifiable, because there is some law that says they don't have to, then that is way focked up. In my OPINION.

Okay. So say someone breaks in to my house with a knife. I'm asleep but hear them. I get my gun out of my nightstand. I walk out of my bedroom and someone lunges at me with a knife. I shoot them and they die. Should I go on trial? Should it be mandatory that anyone who shoots someone goes on trial?

Also... I just want to put this on the record. A number of people, including Zimmerman's defense lawyer and Jeb Bush have come forward and said the "Stand Your Ground" laws have nothing to do with this situation. This was a plain and simple self defense case and the controversial "Stand Your Ground" laws are not applicable here. :dunno:

Actually, Zimmerman's lawyer has said both. I believe his most recent comments said he thought the stand your ground law would protect his client. But he's relied on both straight self defense as well as the stand your ground law. But really this just comes down to whether Zimmerman had a reasonable fear or not.

Okay. So say someone breaks in to my house with a knife. I'm asleep but hear them. I get my gun out of my nightstand. I walk out of my bedroom and someone lunges at me with a knife. I shoot them and they die. Should I go on trial? Should it be mandatory that anyone who shoots someone goes on trial?

I was speaking in relation to this case. Where a kid was shot dead under cloudy circumstances. If a burglar has broken into your house with a weapon, no I do not think you should have to stand trial for killing him. But there is nothing about this case that even closely resembles that situation.

This all happened on the street after an overzealous neighborhood watch guy was trying to stop a potential crime by looking at an unarmed teenager who was simply walking home. The teenager, to our knowledge, had no weapon, had not broken in anywhere, and had not threatened the life or property of whacknut neighborhood watch guy until he approached him. He was walking home to bring his brother some candy and watch the NBA All Star game. So if there is a law where it is OK to follow him, approach him and start a confrontation with him, and then shoot him, that let's you surpass the entire criminal justice process because you claim it was self defense, THAT LAW IS MAJORLY FOCKED UP.

I was speaking in relation to this case. Where a kid was shot dead under cloudy circumstances. If a burglar has broken into your house with a weapon, no I do not think you should have to stand trial for killing him. But there is nothing about this case that even closely resembles that situation.

This all happened on the street after an overzealous neighborhood watch guy was trying to stop a potential crime by looking at an unarmed teenager who was simply walking home. The teenager, to our knowledge, had no weapon, had not broken in anywhere, and had not threatened the life or property of whacknut neighborhood watch guy until he approached him. He was walking home to bring his brother some candy and watch the NBA All Star game. So if there is a law where it is OK to follow him, approach him and start a confrontation with him, and then shoot him, that let's you surpass the entire criminal justice process because you claim it was self defense, THAT LAW IS MAJORLY FOCKED UP.

The law is that you are innocent until proven guilty. If they can't prove his guilt they can't try him. It's simple as that. And it's still under investigation, by at least three law enforcement agencies. I'm not sure why you are all up in arms. If there's ample evidence of his guilt he'll be tried and convicted. I'm hoping that's the case but willing to let the process play out before I start screaming bloody murder.

The law is that you are innocent until proven guilty. If they can't prove his guilt they can't try him. It's simple as that. And it's still under investigation, by at least three law enforcement agencies. I'm not sure why you are all up in arms. If there's ample evidence of his guilt he'll be tried and convicted. I'm hoping that's the case but willing to let the process play out before I start screaming bloody murder.

YOU WANNA KNOW WHY I'M UP IN ARMS? WHY I'M SO PISSED OFF? Because they should have charged him from the beginning and let the evidence come out in trial and this never would have reached the national media stage. Now we have focking rallies all over the goddamm country and people freaking out and race wars and media hype and nothing good at all coming from this. I have never said the guy was guilty, although I lean towards not believing his story about the kid jumping him because it really doesn't fit if you sit back and think of a logical scenario.

This whole thing has turned into a goddamm motherfocking mess because apparently in Florida they are afraid to put people on trial when they kill someone because the law says they can be sued. There is enough murkiness and conflicting stories/evidence about this case that it should have gone to trial. And we never would have focking heard about it. The parents wouldn't have called the NAACP for help and this thing would have never gone national if they just would have charged the guy and let an impartial jury of his peers make a decision after hearing all the EVIDENCE.

I guess I'm just re-asserting my opinion that if some law exists that makes it such that you shouldn't have to stand trial after killing someone under questionable conditions, that law IN MY OPINION is focked up.

Like others here have posted... if I were in a life or death situation and I ended up killing someone, I would fully expect to have to go to trial over it and spend a few nights in jail at a minimum. Killing another person is no small matter. Anyone who thinks otherwise is weird to me.

Like others here have posted... if I were in a life or death situation and I ended up killing someone, I would fully expect to have to go to trial over it and spend a few nights in jail at a minimum. Killing another person is no small matter. Anyone who thinks otherwise is weird to me.

So, let's say you can't make bail, or there is no bail. You spend a minimum of 6 months to most likely a few years awaiting trail in a jail cell. You lost your house/apartment, your job, your possessions have been seized. Your friends won't talk to you. You get raped in jail. Oh, but at trial you are found innocent of self defense within 15 minutes into deliberation. So, you get out of jail and re enter the world with nothing.

What a country.

So, let's say you can't make bail, or there is no bail. You spend a minimum of 6 months to most likely a few years awaiting trail in a jail cell. You lost your house/apartment, your job, your possessions have been seized. Your friends won't talk to you. You get raped in jail. Oh, but at trial you are found innocent of self defense within 15 minutes into deliberation. So, you get out of jail and re enter the world with nothing.

What a country.

There has to be enough evidence to charge a person. You need to have a probable cause hearing and/or obtain a grand jury indictment. Yes grand juries will indict just about anyone but then you can file to have the indictment thrown out.

In this case, charges against Zimmerman would easily stick. EASILY. Because it's not a close case at this stage. Maybe you get to trial and reasonable doubt is there (I kind of doubt it). But at this point in the case, there is plenty of evidence to arrest and charge Zimmerman.

I haven't read anything anybody said here in this thread.

I appreciate that some things are being brought to light, like this "Black Man's" code I've been hearing about. I have bad credit so I go to a ghetto credit union, but they actually have to have a sign out front that says "Please take off your hat and sunglasses." Now ... I can't tell you exactly why white people already know that walking into a bank wearing a hat and sunglasses, or a hoodie, is a red flag, but unless they are 86 years old, they don't need a sign. I've been to a McDonalds in Brooklyn. There's no line ... it's just whoever gets to the counter first. But I know the rules. I'm the white guy ... I gotta just wait until all the black people are done ordering ... then I get to order ... and I hope they don't spit on it.

Now, maybe he was a good kid. Just was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Was Zimmerman out there playing cop? Possibly. Could it have really been self defense? If that's what the police think ... they can't just change it to murder because the kid was a good kid. That's the law there. Regardless of race.

Everyone is up in arms and making a big issue out of this, and I get it. I get it. There are finite lessons to learn from this, hopefully for people of all races. But let's not rush to judge this Zimmerman kid as some racist who was out to kill black people. We, the public, still don't know a lot about what happened, but it seems everyone who wasn't there has a real strong opinion about what happened.

So ... let's not all play the race card ... jump on the "hoodie sit in" bandwagon .... because there are lessons for everyone in this tragedy.

Side note. True story.

I was at a McDonalds in New York. Couple black girls were in front of me ordering. Black girl behind the counter. I know exactly what I want, I have exact change ready ... I'm just waiting to order. They are taking their time. Now, in NYC ... McDonalds are small ... there's one person at the counter. Black guy walks in that doesn't know abybody. Totally ignores me, wanders up to the counter, is looking at the menu. I pay real close attention to when the cashier finishes the transaction for the girls ahead of me ... and I say. "I want 2 McDoubles." and the black guy got all mad at me. "Hey! I was just about to order!" now .... this is not Harlem .... this is 6th ave and 14th street. So I said, "It doesn't matter, because I was here first." and I almost thought I was gonna have to get in a fight with this guy over the line. But he was wearing his work shirt ... some kinda messenger service or something ... and had to just let it go.

It's not OK to treat other people like shiat ... and you may have more confrontations than you would like in life, if you are simply arrogant. I hate it the most when white people do that shait .... or Jews .... because it makes me look bad. Don't do that shiat. Respect your fellow man. Stupid fight over nothing, averted.

There has to be enough evidence to charge a person. You need to have a probable cause hearing and/or obtain a grand jury indictment. Yes grand juries will indict just about anyone but then you can file to have the indictment thrown out.

In this case, charges against Zimmerman would easily stick. EASILY. Because it's not a close case at this stage. Maybe you get to trial and reasonable doubt is there (I kind of doubt it). But at this point in the case, there is plenty of evidence to arrest and charge Zimmerman.

Says you ? You as usual have no focking clue and just make ###### up.

Leave it to the proffesaionals kid, not some life time college dweeb who couldn't pass the bar like yourself.

I haven't read anything anybody said here in this thread.

I appreciate that some things are being brought to light, like this "Black Man's" code I've been hearing about. I have bad credit so I go to a ghetto credit union, but they actually have to have a sign out front that says "Please take off your hat and sunglasses." Now ... I can't tell you exactly why white people already know that walking into a bank wearing a hat and sunglasses, or a hoodie, is a red flag, but unless they are 86 years old, they don't need a sign. I've been to a McDonalds in Brooklyn. There's no line ... it's just whoever gets to the counter first. But I know the rules. I'm the white guy ... I gotta just wait until all the black people are done ordering ... then I get to order ... and I hope they don't spit on it.

Now, maybe he was a good kid. Just was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Was Zimmerman out there playing cop? Possibly. Could it have really been self defense? If that's what the police think ... they can't just change it to murder because the kid was a good kid. That's the law there. Regardless of race.

Everyone is up in arms and making a big issue out of this, and I get it. I get it. There are finite lessons to learn from this, hopefully for people of all races. But let's not rush to judge this Zimmerman kid as some racist who was out to kill black people. We, the public, still don't know a lot about what happened, but it seems everyone who wasn't there has a real strong opinion about what happened.

So ... let's not all play the race card ... jump on the "hoodie sit in" bandwagon .... because there are lessons for everyone in this tragedy.

I can't stand liberal racist like you.

In other words ... if you are black ... just in any everyday situation ... like throwing a fit at a pawn shop because you cant get $250 for your PS2 ... ask yourself, "What would a white person do?"

A white person would say. "Oh, it's only worth $50? Ok ... I'll take $50." or "Nah. I'd rather keep it."

If everyone would ask themselves that question sometimes ... it'd be a lot easier for everyone. Just in case you are not white ... just go with that. Ask yourself, "What would a white person do in this situation?" A white woman cut in line on me the other day because she didn't see that I was standing back from the counter to allow traffic to flow without any crowding .... and I went,"Maam. Excuse me ... but there's a line" and she laughed and apologized, and went to the end of it.

"What would a white person do?"

Ask yourself that question before you act ... and spread forth good karma.

I can't stand liberal racist like you.

Dude, I'm far from racist. I live in a Mexican neighborhood, next door to my black stepfather and my biological dad lives nearby ... he's Jewish. He can afford to live in the white part of town.

I understand that my point here is not in line with what my black family and friends are marching about and I hear their concerns. I agree that there are some problems that need to be addressed when this kind of thing happens.

First of all, I don't think Zimmerman shoulda been walking around with a gun. But that's not the law. So, how do we change things? Right? How do we make this a positive thing .... instead of a hang Zimmerman thing? Cause that's not gonna make anything better.

Also ... I was focking kidding! There's lessons for everyone here, though.

Dude, I'm far from racist. I live in a Mexican neighborhood, next door to my black stepfather and my biological dad lives nearby ... he's Jewish. He can afford to live in the white part of town.

I understand that my point here is not in line with what my black family and friends are marching about and I hear their concerns. I agree that there are some problems that need to be addressed when this kind of thing happens.

First of all, I don't think Zimmerman shoulda been walking around with a gun. But that's not the law. So, how do we chanIge things? Right? How do we make this a positive thing .... instead of a hang Zimmerman thing? Cause that's not gonna make anything better.

I bet you see the word "sellout" whenever you look in the mirror. :wave:

Druggie McDrugalot Martin was attempting to murder Zimmerman by punching him in the nose and slamming his head into a sidewalk repeatedly. Attempted murder. I hope that people can see it's reasonable to cap a guy smoking joints laced with PCP that is trying to kill you. Sure, you could wait for the cops to eventually arrive, as your brains are spilled all over the sidewalk, or you can try to save your life. I want to dig up the body of Crackie McCrackawhore and charge him with the crimes he committed so that Zimmerman has his day in court to face his would be murderer.

The evidence points to Zimmerman being the victim. The beating, Zimmerman's screams, the string of burgluries in the neighborhood, the kid not living there, the multiple eyewitness accounts. Add it up.

It's amusing how so many activists were quick to call this whitey killing blacks, not realizing that Zimmerman is Latino. But with a last name like Zimmerman, I guess they didn't want to do any research. I mean, come on. Zimmerman. Living in Florida. I bet I know what religion/race they thought he was.