Sign in to follow this  
vegassandwich227

Fantasy Football Hall of Fame

When Baseball HOF started, I think they only inducted 5 guys per year. Who would your 5 be? I picked one per position, with a flex

1. QB: Peyton Manning

2. RB: Marshall Faulk

3. WR: Jerry Rice

4. Flex: LT

5. TE: Tony Gonzalez

When Baseball HOF started, I think they only inducted 5 guys per year. Who would your 5 be? I picked one per position, with a flex

Brady, Rogers,

Tomlinson,

Owens,

Too early for Gronk?

I exclude some because they didn't really play during the FF era.

Steve Young - The original do it all QB.

Marshall Faulk - The original "You need me to win you this week, sure thing buddy."

Randy Moss and Jerry Rice - The only WR's worth taking in the first round.

Gates - The evolution of Gonzalez and the prototype for Graham and Gronk.

These are guys that were not long term or mega superstars, maybe they were reserves or role players, but these are players that, for a few years, helped many guys win their leagues.

Terry Allen

Stephen Davis

Terrell Davis

Edgerrin James

Jamaal Lewis

Clinton Portis

Shaun Alexander

Isaac Bruce

Jimmy Smith

Hines Ward

Muhsin Muhamaad

Rod Smith

Keenan McCardell

Joey Galloway

Warren Moon

Vinny Testaverde

Drew Bledsoe

Kerry Collins

Mark Brunell

Steve McNair

Jon Kitna

You can't be in it if you're still playing.

EVERY HoF rule!

i started this topic, so it's my HOF and I make the rules. Active players are eligible. :pointstosky:

Then I not answering. :cry:

Too early for Gronk?

Yes. possibly too early for rodgers as well

EVERY HoF rule!

not golf HOF.

Jimmy Smith---Still the highest point total for a single game in our league.

Kurt Warner---Several Huge seasons

Roger Craig---The first 1000/1000 guy

The Ravens Def/ST---During their Super Bowl Season

Neil Rackers---Won me my league one year!

Tommy Maddox!??!

No seriously:

Marshall Faulk

Priest Holmes

LT

Those guys should be the first three, I think. Then there are dozens more.

EVERY HoF rule!

I'll break that rule for RANDY!!!! He won me several Superbowls!

QB: Favre

RB: E.Smith

WR: Rice

TE: Sharpe

(flex): Thurman

Old School Style

Marshall Faulk is the #1 all time, best Fantasy player of all time. Tomlinson, R. Moss, Priest Holmes. My first Championship consisted of Jamal Lewis's 2000yrd season and Ahman Green with around 17-1800 with many TD's. I can remember Favre being the #1 pick in many drafts years back.

I'm stealing this one.

Agree with many already posted.

My adds:

Drew Brees: On a par with the all time FF great QBs. I don't think I have ever seen a QB go in the first round of drafts as much as he does.

Curtis Martin: The definition of FF longevity.

Marvin Harrison: Great career and his stats for the 4 consecutive seasons for 1999-2002 will probably never be equaled.

Antonio Gates: The prototype WR masquerading as a TE.

Sebastian Janikowski: No stats to back this one up but never seen another kicker that the coach would pretty much let him try it from any distance within 70 yards (he's attempted more 60+ yard FGs (7) than anyone else). For a pretty thankless FF position, if you want a kicker who is going to kick a lot, he is always a safe pick.

RB- Marshall Faulk, LaDainian Tomlinson, Priest Holmes, Emmitt Smith, O.J. Simpson.

QB- Tom Brady, Dan Marino, Steve Young, Brett Favre, Kurt Warner.

WR- Randy Moss, Jerry Rice, Terrell Owens, Marvin Harrison, Tim Brown.

No love for Barry Sanders? :shocking:

Barry Sanders had some awful TD years, and many leagues were "standard" scoring (TD only) back then (barf).

Kurt Warner is a MUST. Lots of folks, myself included, rode a hunch on a $1 player/20th rounder to a championship with Kurt starting. Marshall Faulk also - his rushing/receiving was legendary.

My personal 5 would be:

Marshall Faulk

Terrell Davis

Priest Holmes

Randy Moss

Marvin Harrison

I know there are better guys out there, but these are the guys that have impacted my teams the most. They were the best guys during my championship seasons.

Regardless of whether or not active players should be allowed in this discussion.... I personally choose to eliminate actives based on my own personal "HOF" standards. With that being said, my 5 would have to be (in no particular order)

1. Marshall Faulk

2. Ladanian Tomlinson

3. Emmitt Smith

4. Jerry Rice

5. Brett Favre

Seyi Ajirotutu

He'll always have a special place in my heart after his 4/111 + 2TD game back in 2010 when I nabbed him off the WW minutes before the start of the game.

Fantasy Hall of Fame.......I WOULD BE A FIRST BALLOT HOF FOR SURE :pointstosky: :banana: :music_guitarred:

I remember when it seemed like whoever had Steve Young won their league. It can at times, come down to one player. Seem to remember a couple of those years for Peyton and Warner. One for Vick.

I remember once I drafted Peyton #2 overall and ppl said I was crazy. These days people understand the idea that a QB scores more than any other position. More important than a #1 RB.

Well, some people understand that. FWIW Marshal Faulk was also money for a couple years there.

Sammy Morris and the dude that took over to Rudi Johnson about 4-5 years ago when he went down with Injury would be my votes. They both led me to a championship after drafting Maroney/Rudi with my first 2 picks.

You guys are absolutely missing one key rb who dominate fantasy for a 5 year stretch during the height of ff rising popularity....

SHAUN ALEXANDER

Naysayers need only go look a his yearly stats before scoffing. Knowledgeable guys are going "ohhh yeaaa". The dude was 1400 14 for 5 years or so straight. Including his epic record setting year with over 20 Tds.

I remember once I drafted Peyton #2 overall and ppl said I was crazy. These days people understand the idea that a QB scores more than any other position. More important than a #1 RB.

I'm about to drop some knowledge on you and you're not even going to listen to it. Here goes.

It's not important that a position scores more points than another position. A player's value is derived from the advantage he gives you over the rest of the players at that position.

For instance, if Nate Kaeding consistently scored 300 more points over the season then the next highest scoring kicker, Nate would be worth the number 1 overall pick. Conversely, if Peyton Manning led the fantasy world in scoring and put up 5000 points over the course of the season, he wouldn't be worth a high pick if 20 other quarterbacks scored between 4990 and 4999 on the season.

You can see it graphically. Let's say you start 1 QB, 2RBs, 3WRs in a 12 team league. Plot out the fantasy points of the top 12 QBs, the top 24 RBs, and the top 36 WRs. Back in the day, you would see the runningback graph was a decaying exponential while the qb and wr graphs had linear slopes. Now the guys on the exponentially decaying curve are going to be extremely valuable because there is a big dropoff from one guy to the next. For two positions with linear curves, the relative strength of the positions is given by the one with the larger slope.

Nowadays, every position is pretty linear thanks to RBBC and the ppr rules and the new pass happy offenses, but if you get the guys who breaks out above the linear performance curve, you get a big advantage (see Vick his first year out of jail)

The novice thinks the goal of fantasy football is to gather as many high scoring players as you can. The savvy veteran thinks the goal is to assemble a team of players that will collectively score the most points over the average starter at their respective positions.

I'm about to drop some knowledge on you and you're not even going to listen to it. Here goes.

It's not important that a position scores more points than another position. A player's value is derived from the advantage he gives you over the rest of the players at that position.

For instance, if Nate Kaeding consistently scored 300 more points over the season then the next highest scoring kicker, Nate would be worth the number 1 overall pick. Conversely, if Peyton Manning led the fantasy world in scoring and put up 5000 points over the course of the season, he wouldn't be worth a high pick if 20 other quarterbacks scored between 4990 and 4999 on the season.

The novice thinks the goal of fantasy football is to gather as many high scoring players as you can. The savvy veteran thinks the goal is to assemble a team of players that will collectively score the most points over the average starter at their respective positions.

No, I get that. You thinking I didn't know that? It all comes down to the rules. I should mention that the year I took Peyton Manning 2nd overall it was a 6 point passing TD league.

But my point is, it's VERY hard to get a top tier QB if you don't draft one, because nobody wants to trade them. Kickers ... you can play based on matchups, best waiver all year and get similar points to a top notch K.

No, I get that. You thinking I didn't know that? It all comes down to the rules. I should mention that the year I took Peyton Manning 2nd overall it was a 6 point passing TD league.

But my point is, it's VERY hard to get a top tier QB if you don't draft one, because nobody wants to trade them. Kickers ... you can play based on matchups, best waiver all year and get similar points to a top notch K.

I know you think you get it, but I don't think you really get it because you said, "These days people understand the idea that a QB scores more than any other position." That shows a very naive way of thinking about the game. And you also don't seem to understand my kicker example. I chose kicker on purpose, too, just to illustrate the point that position doesn't matter.

If you graph out kicker production, it's a very flat (in other words low slope), linear line. That means they all do about the same which is why it is correct strategy to wait when drafting them. However, if some magical kicker showed up and outscored all other kickers by an average of 15 points per game, it would be correct to make sure you draft that kicker before anyone else can grab him even if it meant taking him number 1 overall1. This applies to any position... QB, TE, WR, RB doesn't matter. The takeaway here is that the guys who will outscore the average starter at their position by the most are the most valuable players. That is very very very different from saying the guys that score the most points are the most valuable.

1 In general this is the case, for this example that would probably be true just because 1 player averaging that much more than anyone else is rare, but there's also a few draft theroies at play here as well:

1. Take the most valuable player that won't be available on your next pick. In our example, since people are so kicker averse, you may be able to wait.

2. Take a combination of players that cumulatively will give you the greatest advantage over the average set of starters. For example, when faced with two equally valuable players at different positions try to take the player that you can pair with a more valuable starter at another position later. (This theory goes way way deeper than that example; I could write a book on the game theory of FF, but I'm trying to keep it short - moderately at least)

Yeah, actually I do get it. I get the reason for the kicker comparison. Isn't the leading NFL scorer of all time a kicker?

But when you take tiers into consideration ... a tier 2 or even tier 4 kicker is not going to be that much behind a tier 1 guy. Particularly if you play the match ups. A lot of people use this technique for defenses too, which can also be more consistent than a QB. But, a tier 2 QB, or hopefully not tier 4 QB is a whole different ball of wax. You didn't overspend on a QB, have a great RB ... but the team with Aaron Rodgers is putting up sick points every week. You wish you had a top tier QB ... and the guy who has one, isn't gonna trade with you, unless he can rape you.

If you care about winning, drafting a QB (or even 2 or 3) early, I think, in general, is the best strategy. Even with 4 point passing TDs.

I was one of the first people to say that, and ppl still don't believe it. Do the math. There's a huge difference between say, Aaron Rodgers fantasy points in a given year, and Ben Rotlisberger's. A much bigger difference than there is between Nate Keading and Rob Bironas.

A couple years ago I drafted Rogers and got Vick off waivers. Vick, was putting up #1 QB AND #1 RB type numbers each week. I traded Rogers to a losing team so that team could beat up on my competition. Was so smart. I ended up winning it all with Vick that year.

Vick and Tamme off waivers. That was the year Randy Moss ... my first round pick ... went from a total stud to a worthless headache. Yeah, got Rogers in the second. It's all about value.

Team in my sig is an auction from last year ... no way will I get Brees, Megatron and Run DMC this year. I was 6-0, crushing it when DMC went down. Sent me into a losing streak, I spent all my free agent money on Kevin Smith and then he got hurt ... one more regular season win, and I woulda won it all.