Sign in to follow this  
tikigods

The terrorists won today

The beat goes on, the beat goes on

Drums keep pounding a rhythm to the brain

The pace is going to start picking up real soon.

Republicans: living in fear of an attack every 3 years, living in denial of a constant stream of mass shootings by their own.

Republicans: orders of magnitude more dangerous to America than Muslims.

Don't be afraid to understand what you say. THE NUMBERS DON'T LIE!

LOL @ dumfock Phurmo Pilot. Owned AGAIN. :headbanger: :thumbsup: :banana:

Watch what you say or wormsy will call you un-american. :lol:

On the contrary. It doesn't seem to me that FeelingMN is motivated by a perverse desire to forward some kind of agenda in the face of a tragic event. At least not outwardly so.

Also we're no longer in the middle of an ongoing emergency. Obviously it's fine to criticize whoever you want afterwards. But if you do it DURING the g0ddamn emergency then you are a miserable POS. :wave:

On the contrary. It doesn't seem to me that FeelingMN is motivated by a perverse desire to forward some kind of agenda in the face of a tragic event. At least not outwardly so.

Also we're no longer in the middle of an ongoing emergency. Obviously it's fine to criticize whoever you want afterwards. But if you do it DURING the g0ddamn emergency then you are a miserable POS. :wave:

Attention all geeks. 18 hours is now established as the time wormsy is ok with someone questioning the obama administrations handling of an ongoing emergency. Why don't you take a step back and look at yourself, I know it's tough but seriously, give it a try. :lol:

Attention all geeks. 18 hours is now established as the time wormsy is ok with someone questioning the obama administrations handling of an ongoing emergency. Why don't you take a step back and look at yourself, I know it's tough but seriously, give it a try. :lol:

18 hours for conservatives. No time limit for libtards.

Shovelhead made it political inside 2 hours, and Babblin Crap didn't wait a full hour, yet Worms' outrage for their posts was nowhere to be found.

Faux outrage. :pointstosky:

Republicans: living in fear of an attack every 3 years, living in denial of a constant stream of mass shootings by their own.

Republicans: orders of magnitude more dangerous to America than Muslims.

Don't be afraid to understand what you say. THE NUMBERS DON'T LIE!

LOL @ dumfock Phurmo Pilot. Owned AGAIN. :headbanger: :thumbsup: :banana:

Every mass shooting has been pulled off by liberal failures at life like yourself.

We should ban liberals. Temper tantrum throwing add queers.

The attacks were horrible.

The FBI response was surprisingly effective and efficient.

The police hounded them both like rabid dogs and absolutely wouldn't let up until they had their men.

BUT....

As far as I'm concerned, the US Government just declared martial law on a major US city.....and it was met with a freakin applause.

Out of all of the negatives from this situation, that's the worst in my opinion.

Yeah. The Chechnyan President blames it on the fact they grew up in America. I guess that's one way to distance yourself from it. :rolleyes:

I saw where he was claiming they weren't even the same country as the one these kids are from :rolleyes:

The police hounded them both like rabid dogs and absolutely wouldn't let up until they had their men.

BUT....

As far as I'm concerned, the US Government just declared martial law on a major US city.....and it was met with a freakin applause.

Out of all of the negatives from this situation, that's the worst in my opinion.

Amen, brother. :thumbsup:

I'm glad someone has sense around here.

Dude... I've seen actual pictures of you. I'm not sure you should be making fun of anyone else's face.

TRUTH!

No sh1t, Sherlock. My picture is in the Geek Picture thread.

When did you get fired from Dunkin Donuts and start working for NASA?

BUT....

I thought the governor of Massachusetts 'asked' the people to stay inside. He also asked businesses to shut their doors. I guess I have not seen the direct quotes but I think the words were coming from either the governor or the boston police commissioner.

Eta from an article:

Massachusetts governor Deval Patrick warned people to remain indoors "with their doors locked" until further notice, after a night of high drama during which a campus police officer at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology was shot dead.

"We're asking people to shelter in place: in other words, to stay indoors, with their doors locked, and not to open the door for anyone other than a properly identified law enforcement officer," Patrick said.

"That applies here in Watertown, Cambridge, Waltham, Newton, Belmont and at this point all of Boston. All of Boston. This is a serious situation. We're taking it seriously; we're asking the public to take it seriously as well."

I thought the governor of Massachusetts 'asked' the people to stay inside. He also asked businesses to shut their doors. I guess I have not seen the direct quotes but I think the words were coming from either the governor or the boston police commissioner.

Valid points in regards to who the directive/request came from. I stand corrected.

However, I don't find who the directive/request came from all that important (in regards to Fed vs. State).

It's my stance that (in reference to the title of the thread) that the terrorists 'won' when we agreed to exchange our Liberty for Security; and sadly do so with applause and open arms.

I have no proof that de facto 'martial law' was declared, and frankly I'm too tired to look into it tonight. I realize most/many won't share my opinions, and that's fine. We're all still entitled to our opinions.

This was a country who once was down on a proverbial knee in the 1930's, was able to stand up, fight tyranny on a global scale, and win with a nationwide effort and sacrifice.

To see what happened in Boston this week was frightening to me. People have had it too good, for far too long here to fully understand the ramifications of their actions; or lack thereof.

But that's like, my opinion man.

Valid points in regards to who the directive/request came from. I stand corrected.

However, I don't find who the directive/request came from all that important (in regards to Fed vs. State).

It's my stance that (in reference to the title of the thread) that the terrorists 'won' when we agreed to exchange our Liberty for Security; and sadly do so with applause and open arms.

I have no proof that de facto 'martial law' was declared, and frankly I'm too tired to look into it tonight. I realize most/many won't share my opinions, and that's fine. We're all still entitled to our opinions.

This was a country who once was down on a proverbial knee in the 1930's, was able to stand up, fight tyranny on a global scale, and win with a nationwide effort and sacrifice.

To see what happened in Boston this week was frightening to me. People have had it too good, for far too long here to fully understand the ramifications of their actions; or lack thereof.

Sorry man, I'm usually with you but I don't get it. The Boston area people made a sacrifice by staying in and out of the way. I'm missing why that is a bad thing. :dunno:

BUT....

I see where you are coming from. I guess I would agree if people leaving their homes were being arrested for doing so. But I didn't hear of any of that. It sounded like the govt asked people to stay inside for their own safety, and people chose to value their safety more than their desire to get out and do stuff.

Or are you just worried about that mindset? That the Bostonian cared more about their personal safety than they did work, school, shopping, etc?

If it happened in my city....I would obviously get to my kid wherever she was at the given time, then I would remain indoors simply because nothing that I can get out and do trumps our safety. But I woudnt feel like I was succumbing to a scene from V for Vendetta in doing so. :dunno:

Boston Marathon: 3 dead, 183 wounded

Terrorists: 1 dead, 1 wouned

City shut down for days.

Future laws enacted to ensure safety.

9/11: 2,996 dead, 6,000+ injured

Terrorist: 19 dead

Entire country disrupted.

Numerous laws enacted.

Airport boarding forever changed.

Numerous law enacted to ensure safety.

(from a personal standpoint... Frontage Rd in Orlando which was a tradition to watch planes land/takeoff since I was a kid - totally shutdown. Places I used to fish - Skyway Bridge in Tampa, around power plants, around barges, around cruise-ships, etc... today are all illegal.)

Yeah, we're winning. :rolleyes:

How do you respond to tornado warnings? You just say fock it and go to IHOP anyway? Or do you stay indoors where you are safer until the storm has passed?

How do you respond to tornado warnings? You just say fock it and go to IHOP anyway? Or do you stay indoors where you are safer until the storm has passed?

I've been thru hundreds of tornado warnings. If I'm outside doing stuff I continue to do whatever it is. The only reason I have ever gone inside is because I got rained out.

Once inside, or if already there, I don't do much of anything different. Never once huddled in an interior hall, closed, bathroom etc...

Not sure if this helps you with your totally unrelated analogy or not, but that's my .02. :thumbsup:

I've been thru hundreds of tornado warnings. If I'm outside doing stuff I continue to do whatever it is. The only reason I have ever gone inside is because I got rained out.

Once inside, or if already there, I don't do much of anything different. Never once huddled in an interior hall, closed, bathroom etc...

Not sure if this helps you with your totally unrelated analogy or not, but that's my .02. :thumbsup:

Ok. So you stayed at home, right? Or with sirens blaring and officials imploring you to seek shelter did you ever hop in the truck and cruise into town looking for something to do?

Just seems pretty foolish to be out and about when you're in a dangerous situation. Thanks for helping prove my point. ;)

Ok. So you stayed at home, right? Or with sirens blaring and officials imploring you to seek shelter did you ever hop in the truck and cruise into town looking for something to do?

Just seems pretty foolish to be out and about when you're in a dangerous situation. Thanks for helping prove my point. ;)

What part of "If I'm outside doing stuff I continue to do whatever it is" confuses you?

That includes if I'm running around doing stuff in my truck.

Like I said, bad analogy. Please try again.

I think you guys are missing the point a bit. This was a voluntary stay indoors kind of thing, and partly it was due to safety but it was also so that law enforcement could focus ALL of their efforts on finding the motherfockers who did this. People were into that, they were willing to sacrifice some conveniences/money so that the cops could find the bastarda that attacked their city.

I think it's awesome that just about the whole city was behind that, and no, I do not think it's a sign that the focking terrorists have won :rolleyes:

I think you guys are missing the point a bit. This was a voluntary stay indoors kind of thing, and partly it was due to safety but it was also so that law enforcement could focus ALL of their efforts on finding the motherfockers who did this. People were into that, they were willing to sacrifice some conveniences/money so that the cops could find the bastarda that attacked their city.

I think it's awesome that just about the whole city was behind that, and no, I do not think it's a sign that the focking terrorists have won :rolleyes:

:thumbsup:

I'll look for it later because I need to get sleep, but I heard there were instances of repercussions from LE for not "sheltering-in-place." I didn't get the impression those people were directly interfering.

A lot of the articles talk about residents being asked, and then the word "order" is mentioned all over the place. The media's wording doesn't make it an order, it's still interesting that we (media, citizens) find it natural enough though. You have headlines like this: Residents Shocked, Scared and Obeying Shelter-in-Place Order.

The first comment covers the gamut of the negatives (from FloridaInternational) that strike a chord with me. Good discussion all around though.

This Is What It Looks Like When the Police Shut Down a City

First comment from your article:

I've spent a few minutes mulling over how to say this. Part of me feels like I shouldn't say it at all, but right now I feel strongly.

Putting the Boston metropolitan area on lockdown is not okay. It is unacceptable to allow a fugitive 19 year old to paralyses an American city indefinitely.

I know the police lost control of the situation last night. I know if more are killed in by a new bomb then city officials will blame themselves for not doing all they could. I know I'm safely on the other end of the East coast and can't do more than pray.

This just can't be allowed to happen though. We can't be that fragile in the face of the threats against us. It was these brothers this week, what might come at us next week?

What happened to the resiliency we saw on Monday and at the interfaith service yesterday? The first responders and marathoners who ran towards danger to help rather than away?

Were the people who were ordered to "shelter in place" allowed to drive their cars to their workplace?

Were the people who were ordered to "shelter in place" allowed to have guns to protect themselves from an armed Muslim terrorist or did they have to depend on the government to protect them?

The terrorists shut down an entire city. Terrorist who was 19 years old. One kid. One kid who should have been caught several hours earlier by law enforcement.

Kristin Sullivan woke at 1 a.m. Friday to the sound of dozens of police cars careening past her home on the border of Cambridge and Watertown in Massachusetts. “We are all jumpy after everything that happened at the Boston Marathon,” Sullivan said. “When the first suspect was apprehended, it was only a mile away from our house — right near the local hardware store.”

That suspect was Tamerlan Tsarnaev, who was killed in Watertown after a firefight with police. His brother Dzhokhar, the other main suspect in the bombings, escaped, setting off what Governor Deval Patrick called “a massive manhunt.” In his announcement Friday morning, Patrick said “we are asking people to shelter in place.” Life, for the time being, would have to be lived at home and under siege.

By early Friday morning, the streets of Watertown and Cambridge were deserted, and life in Boston, a major American city, had ground to a standstill. Throughout the day, the media described residents complying with a “lockdown order,” but in reality the governor’s security measure was a request.

(PHOTOS: Ghost Town: Users Share Photos of Boston on Lockdown)

“The lockdown is really voluntary, to be honest with you,” says Scott Silliman, emeritus director of the Center on Law, Ethics and National Security at Duke Law School. “The governor said he wants to use sheltering in place. Sheltering in place is a practice normally used if you’re dealing with a pandemic, where you’re telling people, ‘You may have been exposed and we want you to stay exactly where you are so we can isolate everything and we’ll come to you.’”

The “shelter in place” request is legally different from a state of emergency, which Patrick declared earlier this year as winter storm Nemo descended on the Bay State. Patrick imposed a travel ban, threatening a penalty of up to a year in prison and a large fine if people were found on the roads. Massachusetts suffered very few fatalities during the storm.

When it came to keeping the public off the streets on Friday, an order, it seems, wasn’t needed. “When the governor suggested in light of last night’s events that we have an armed subject on the loose who is very dangerous, who has committed murder, I believe the citizens of the commonwealth, in the hopes of helping law enforcement, voluntarily stayed off the streets,” Massachusetts State Trooper Todd Nolan told TIME. “This is a request that the public stay inside and they are adhering to it. There has been no law mentioned or any idea that if you went outside you’d be arrested.”

Legal experts agree that the request has been effective. “If there’s a person running around with explosives in a major population center, it wouldn’t be that surprising that the response of authorities would be to ask people to not be outside,” says David Barron, a professor of public law at Harvard Law School. The heightened risk to the public, given the violence that Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is already alleged to have inflicted, made officials feel the shelter in place request was necessary, but such measures might not be the standard response to every future terrorism manhunt. “If the idea is somehow that the model for how to respond–when there’s any kind of suspect on the loose related to terrorism, they’ll be telling a place to be completely shut down–that seems not at all likely,” Barron says.

Even if Patrick had felt an order was necessary, or if the situation continues, the Massachusetts state constitution empowers Patrick to take steps to ensure the public’s safety. “A state’s chief executive has ample inherent power to prevent carnage,” Harvard Law School professor and constitutional expert Laurence Tribe told TIME in an email. All steps that Patrick has taken so far, Tribe explained, appear to fully comply with the Fourth and Fourteenth Amendments.

The shelter in place order is far from the first time the government has requested the public remain at home for their safety. Silliman points to Toronto’s use of a major quarantine during the 2003 SARS epidemic as one example. Mayors and governors often rely on mandatory evacuations to keep people from harm’s way with impending natural disasters, and curfews are a tool to help contain unrest.

(MORE: Live Updates: Marathon Bomber Manhunt Shuts Down Boston After Overnight Shootouts)

Governments have also resorted to creative methods of keeping law and order in turbulent times. In early April 1968, just after the assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr., Boston officials feared a race riot would engulf the city. City Councilman Tom Atkins had the idea that they could televise a James Brown concert, scheduled for the day after King’s assassination, and keep the city’s youth at home watching the concert on TV. When James balked at performing if the concert was televised and fewer people attended, Boston Mayor Kevin White dipped into the city’s coffers to guarantee Brown’s take of a sold out show.

But orders and creative solutions weren’t necessary in Boston on Friday. As the manhunt continued, people waited anxiously inside their homes. Though Watertown’s residents are no doubt relieved to be safe, some wonder how long Boston can continue in the heightened security state. “My fear is that they don’t find him today,” Jenny Sartori, 43, a professor of Jewish studies at Northeastern University told TIME. “We can’t go on living in lockdown indefinitely. How can you find one person in a whole city?

Swat teams moved block-by-block, knocking on doors and asking people if they had seen anything suspicious. About 11:30 am, a small team of police knocked on the door of James Gillen, a resident of Watertown who lives four blocks from where the shootout happened Thursday. They searched his home and joined up with a larger group, and the 30-officers in their tactical gear, rifles at the ready, patrolled down the street.

As the SWAT officers left Gillen’s home, his two-year-old son asked why they were there. “I had to tell him that the police are looking for a bad guy,” Gillen says. Throughout the long day at home, “he keeps on asking me, ‘Did they get the bad guy?’” The rest of Boston no doubt feels the same way.

http://nation.time.com/2013/04/19/was-boston-actually-on-lockdown/

They can't own guns in Watertown ?

I was thinking that...as long as they had an LTC, they could.....which brings up the other debate about gun control. It's a little extreme (and inaccurate) to say the residents couldn't own guns, but they did require permission to own them, and they couldn't go out and just buy one on Friday.

All I know is, I'm sure the LTC applications in Watertown, and in Mass. generally, are going to skyrocket now. My wife and I put our applications in last month, and I'm hoping the "10-12 week" turn-around time doesn't double now.

What part of "If I'm outside doing stuff I continue to do whatever it is" confuses you?

I see where RP is coming from. Hes basically telling us that he is either too stupid to realize how dangerous it is to be driving around during a tornado warning, or he is just putting on his tough guy panties today to show hes not afraid.

We get ya bud. ;)

Two kids shutdown an entire city for a day with citizens cowering in their basements unable to own guns and totally dependent on the government to protect them. I'm sure this is what the Founding Fathers had in mind during the original Patriots Day.

It almost sounds like you would rather have a million untrained vigilantes roaming about with itchy trigger fingers trying to be the first to find the focker and put a bullet in him. Sure if it went exactly according to plan that would work out, but we know how people can be, especially when their scared.

Two kids shutdown an entire city for a day with citizens cowering in their basements unable to own guns and totally dependent on the government to protect them. I'm sure this is what the Founding Fathers had in mind during the original Patriots Day.

So what bugs you, the fact that it is difficult to own guns in MA, or the request to stay indoors during the manhunt? Because those are kinda two separate things. :dunno:

So what bugs you, the fact that it is difficult to own guns in MA, or the request to stay indoors during the manhunt? Because those are kinda two separate things. :dunno:

I'm not quite sure what you're driving at. Could you quote where I said all of this wasn't differentiated? I'm pretty sure, in the first posting, I listed several separate things.

I'm assuming there is a bit of a trolling mission here so I'll let you proceed with what you're trying to get at and reply accordingly.

TIA.

It almost sounds like you would rather have a million untrained vigilantes roaming about with itchy trigger fingers trying to be the first to find the focker and put a bullet in him. Sure if it went exactly according to plan that would work out, but we know how people can be, especially when their scared.

Not sure where I gave off that impression. My feelings are that people should and always should be able to freely own a weapon to defend their homes. The scenes of martial law over an entire US city because of two young men should frighten everyone. I'm not going to jump up and down celebrating what just happened in Boston.

I'm not quite sure what you're driving at. Could you quote where I said all of this wasn't differentiated? I'm pretty sure, in the first posting, I listed several separate things.

I'm assuming there is a bit of a trolling mission here so I'll let you proceed with what you're trying to get at and reply accordingly.

TIA.

First post:

Killed and maimed people.

Shut down a major US city.

Cost the taxpayers billions of dollars.

Crippled the economy for nearly a week.

Suspended the civil liberties of most people in Massachusetts for a day.

Pissed off the Czech Republic by making the world think they were Chechens.

Afterwards you mentioned the lack of gun ownership, which was not in this initial list. Funny that you accuse me of trolling, as I was giving you the benefit of the doubt that the incoherent verbal diarrhea you've been spewing in these threads the past few days had some intelligent point. I see now that you are just throwing a bunch of crap at the wall; I for one am done trying to see if it sticks. Carry on. :cheers:

I can almost still remember when America wasn't such a faggut country.

Of course, trained expert law enforcement officers riddled a car full of innocent citizens with bullets in an effort to catch a rogue cop on the West Coast. That plan went much better.

I actually think there is something worth discussing here. The government did the intelligent thing. They asked people to stay inside. Keeping the streets clear puts the citizens in less danger, and it simplifies things for the police, thus putting them in less danger.

The thing worth discussing is the mindset of the citizenry. Individually, it makes all the sense in the world to stay indoors, keep the family as safe as possible, and stay out of the police department's way. But as a whole, it doesn't seem like too long ago the city would have said "fucck that. I'm going to work. Then I am going to get a beer". Sure, the streets would have been less crowded. But there would have been people out and about nonetheless.

So is this MK Ultra? The government has slowly beaten us I to submission so that we now bow to their requests? Or are we as a society becoming more intelligent? More willing to stay safe.....or is this technology based? 20 years ago we wouldn't have Internet and 250 TV stations to entertain us. So many would simply be less willing to chill at home. Or is it a combination of all of these things and more?

I can almost still remember when America wasn't such a faggut country.

Link?

Were the people who were ordered to "shelter in place" allowed to drive their cars to their workplace?

Were the people who were ordered to "shelter in place" allowed to have guns to protect themselves from an armed Muslim terrorist or did they have to depend on the government to protect them?

The terrorists shut down an entire city. Terrorist who was 19 years old. One kid. One kid who should have been caught several hours earlier by law enforcement.

The FBI knew about and questioned the older brother in 2011. The government let the American people down once again. This should not have happened.

The bureau admitted that it had interviewed Tamerlan Tsarnaev in 2011 "at the request of a foreign government", presumed to be Russia, which was concerned that he was a "follower of radical Islam". The FBI said that it did not find any "terrorism activity" and appears not to have had any further contact with him since.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/apr/21/boston-marathon-bombings-fbi-tsarnaev

The FBI knew about and questioned the older brother in 2011. The government let the American people down once again. This should not have happened.

So what should have happened?

I doubt you leave home for much of anything. The point is, when the weather is bad, and you're at home, you stay at home. You don't decide, in the middle of severe weather, that that would be a good time to leave to go do something. The overall point I was trying to make, and it was addressed in Med's post, is that officials already make declarations about safety and order us to adjust our behavior accordingly. Obviously what happened in Boston isn't exactly the same thing. But officials wanted to keep the public safe and they wanted to achieve their goal of apprehending the suspect as efficiently as possible. Putting the city on lockdown helped accomplish both those objectives.

Clearly if Boston could have operated like business as usual and the cops still could catch their guy, then that's what should have been done. But by doing that, things could have turned out much worse...and folks would still be b!tching.

This thread reminds me of this Bill Burr joke

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUqp09N44QY

The masses in general are a bunch of idiots. why have a bunch of in-the-way people when trying to do important police business?

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." - Lt. Spock