Sign in to follow this  
BLS

Pick one 'album' you think got "missed" and other Geeks will love, but never heard of

Look at it this way; we've all heard/loved an album that nobody (very few) people know about.

It's a timeless disc that when we listen to it; every track is awesome. It brings us back to a certain time in our lives.

You want everyone else to hear it. Here's your chance.

PICK YOUR BEST "UNKNOWN" DISC/ALBUM. The one that's so awesome, you can't believe nobody knows it.

Me?

Book of Shadows - Zakk Wylde

It has to be the best album NOBODY knows (in my opinion). If you listen to it, you'll "get it". It's very melancholy, but extremely emotional and just greatly written.

Go.

Since i just posted it that other thread Superjudge by Monster Magnet.

Powertrip is pretty awesome too, but that was their big commercial breakthru success album. Superjudge was just pure unadulterated F0ck you,world.

Actually Monster Magnet on the whole is under appreciated.

i should drink beer more often.

• Like 1

Since i just posted it that other thread Superjudge by Monster Magnet.

Powertrip is pretty awesome too, but that was their big commercial breakthru success album. Superjudge was just pure unadulterated F0ck you,world.

Actually Monster Magnet on the whole is under appreciated.

i should drink beer more often.

Your post is what spurred me to start this thread. DL'ing this disc now.

Your post is what spurred me to start this thread. DL'ing this disc now.

Christ thats alot of pressure. Im not sure i can handle that.

Live-Throwing Copper

And, just to go old school on some of you fockers, check out Harry Belafonte-Live at Carnegie Hall.

Live-Throwing Copper

And, just to go old school on some of you fockers, check out Harry Belafonte-Live at Carnegie Hall.

Doesn't everyone own Live- Throwing Copper?

I would suggest Sinead Lohan- No Mermaid... but I doubt anyone but me will like it.

Could be. My musical tastes trend towards vanilla.

ONly the cool kids.

True story: I bought Throwing Copper and Matthew Sweeets's Girlfriend on the same day.

Is "lightening crashes" on that disc? Because it's a great song, but it's the only song I heard off that album.

Is "lightening crashes" on that disc? Because it's a great song, but it's the only song I heard off that album.

yes.

Live's first album Mental Jewelry was pretty underrated too. I actually like it better that Throwing Copper

It also had I Alone and All Over You on it.

It also had I Alone and All Over You on it.

And Selling the Drama.

I will assume geeks have listened to Radiohead's 'The Bends' since they aren't exactly an unknown commodity. So lets try...

A Perfect Circle - Mer de Noms

Cro-Mags, Age of Quarrel

Mike Patton from TOMAHAWK/FAITH NO MORE/FANTOMAS who once told me, "Cro-Mags changed my life. I didn't take AGE OF QUARREL out of my tape deck for three years, it was all I listened to." In 1993, at the Scrap Bar in NYC, Layne Staley screamed in my ear "Focking Cro-Mags man! We gotta jam. I focking love Cro-Mags! Everybody in Seattle listened to Cro-Mags. Cro-Mags were our Led Zeppelin." The list of noteworthy Cro-Mags fans is long including: RANCID, FOO FIGHTERS, RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE, MACHINE HEAD, PANTERA, ROB HALFORD, MACHINE HEAD, SOD, C.O.C, SEPULTURA ,METALLICA, and KORN. Rob Zombie is quoted in Rolling Stone Magazine as saying "Cro-Mags were way ahead of their time. If they came out today they'd be bigger than Metallica!" Kerrang Magazine included Cro-Mags "We Gotta Know" in their list of 100 greatest riffs of all time list. REVOLVER Magazine recently listed Cro-Mags in their 100 most important punk bands, in good company with BAD BRAINS, CIRCLE JERKS and DISCHARGE. Though their order of appearance made little sense to me. We were #22. At least we were ahead of BLINK 182.

~Parris Mayhew~

I'm not sure where to go with this. I tend to suspect that about half of my favorite albums are unheard of by The Geeks. So I guess I'll go way back to the 90's with some aggressive alt rock and an album that everyone knows the big hit from at least.

Toadies - Rubberneck. They were our local DFW rock Gods. From 1995-1997 I bet I saw them live 65 times. The album sold well and had a big hit with Possum Kingdom (The "Do you wanna die?!" song). And a bunch of people are somewhat familiar with Tyler (the best rape song ever maybe). But every song on this album is balls out badass.

Or maybe everyone knows this whole album?

It's really hard to pick just one. I know there are a lot of 80s fans out there so I will recommend Long Slow Dance by the Fresh & Onlys.

I guess they sound a little like the Church or early Cure? The album is so focking catchy, every song will work its way into your head. If you at all like 80s rock give the first few songs a listen.

Presence of Mind or Yes or No are two of the catchier songs on the album btw.

Okay one more: "I Blame You" by the Obits, a new band by the guitarist / singer of Drive by Jehu and other bands. It's basically blues based rock, just a little more punk and some songs sound like the Stooges.

I think fans of the Black Keys and/or White Stripes will absolutely eat this album up. The Obits second isn't nearly as good tho.

I have MM's Powerstrip, will have to check out the other one. Also psyched to check out Cro-Mags.

My wife loves Book of Shadows and owned it before we even met. I'm a huge Zakk fan, BLS has some great songs.

I thought everyone owned the Toadies and Live discs? Live played at my college oudoors for free in '92, they were great.

I also really like the APC stuff, as any Tool fan probably would.

Anyway, my choices would be:

Fishbone - The Reality of My Surroundings (some funk plus the random kickass track Sunless Saturday)

Living Colour - Time's Up (yes, it went gold, but I doubt many here have heard it. Also Vivid is one of the best albums of all time in my opinion)

We've already had discussions on teh kicassedness of FNM's Angel Dust, but worth a mention

Great stuff! I'm looking forward to checking out these hidden gems.

Also psyched to check out Cro-Mags.

Early example of hard-core meets thrash meets metal. Not for everyone, but I love that album. The singer is always the most important thing to me and while he isn't a great "signer" his voice in unique and fits the music great IMO. Don't bother with any other cro-mag album though...they turned more metal, had a different singer and turned to crap, IMO. That first album though everything came together for one stitch in time.

Toadies - Rubberneck. They were our local DFW rock Gods. From 1995-1997 I bet I saw them live 65 times. The album sold well and had a big hit with Possum Kingdom (The "Do you wanna die?!" song). And a bunch of people are somewhat familiar with Tyler (the best rape song ever maybe). But every song on this album is balls out badass.

Agreed. Love this album. Unfortunately they never captured this magic again.

Early example of hard-core meets thrash meets metal.

Thrash Zone by DRI meets that description too! And for newer bands doing that sound, "First 4 EPs" by Off! (singer from the Circle Jerks) and any album from Municipal Waste are worth checking out - 80s style hardcore punk. :thumbsup:

Thrash Zone by DRI meets that description too!

Had Thrashzone :thumbsup: ...DRI really started the crossover lean even a little earlier than that with 4 of a Kind and before that Crossover (which has one of my favorite songs by them, The Five Year Plan). :headbanger:

The Knack- Get the Knack

Unfortunately, the song My Sharona become a quick hit and the band became more of a one hit wonder type band. Get the Knack is a great album with some incredible songs. Good Girls Don't and She's so Selfish are my favorites.

Had Thrashzone :thumbsup: ...DRI really started the crossover lean even a little earlier than that with 4 of a Kind and before that Crossover (which has one of my favorite songs by them, The Five Year Plan). :headbanger:

Hell ya! :headbanger:

The Knack- Get the Knack

Unfortunately, the song My Sharona become a quick hit and the band became more of a one hit wonder type band. Get the Knack is a great album with some incredible songs. Good Girls Don't and She's so Selfish are my favorites.

Yes GREAT Debut Album :thumbsup: ......those are my favorite songs too + "Let Me Out"

Imogen Heap - Songs for Tibet: The Art of Peace.

The Complete Johnny Rebel Collection

AKA "The Complete The Moz Collection ". :huh:

With the hit single "The House Next Door To Me Has Been Sold To Neighbors".

I don't know that....but i love this...

We are individuals sharing a common soul :headbanger: