Sign in to follow this  
KSB2424

Geek Parents and Booze *Spermoff*

Fumbles posts in the thread about "Things you've never done" brought to light something I've thought about recently. I have a 4 year old and a 1 year old. My 4 yo is becoming more and more aware of things in life. He's just not a baby or even a toddler anymore.

Both the wife and I drink a bit. Normally just a night or two on the weekends. I'll have a few beers while grilling, the wife may have a couple glasses of wine. Neither of us are heavy drinkers. While I drink a bit most every weekend I literally cannot remember the last time I was "drunk". It's been that long, so you get the idea, casual weekend/social drinkers.

My question is for the Geek Parents that have somewhat older, but not yet grown kids. Do you ever worry that your kids seeing you drink could have negative effects on them starting to early in High School or whatnot?

Right now my little guy just asks what that is and I say its "Daddy's Juice" and he's good with that answer but I often wonder about it as my kids get older. We always hear about parents who quit smoking once they have children. Wouldn't the same logic apply to booze as well for all the same reasons? Just a random thought.

I grew up in a household where no one drank... Didn't stop me from partying. :dunno:

KSB - similar but different - it's cigars for me... smoke 'em when mowing the lawn, golfing, and sometimes at night on the back deck.

I tell the kids they're "bug sticks" for keeping the bugs away (somewhat true btw) but I know they're taking it all in.

don't know what the answer is.

I guess in the end it's about teaching your kids that life is full of choices and hopefully they grow and learn enough to make the right choices for themselves.

Not a parent, but if you aren't getting intoxicated in front of them I don't really see the issue. At some point I guess you'll probably want to start stressing that you need to wait until you're old enough for things like that. :dunno:

I grew up in a house where no one did drugs and I will snort, sniff and swallow any drug (upper) I can find.

I would think drinking responsibly would set a good example that he would follow. Its not like you don't ever want him to drink. No one wants their kid to smoke so its different to compare it to giving up smoking.

• Like 1

Coming from someone who's dad was a functioning alcoholic for most of my youth it didn't really effect my want or need to drink. But I also quit drinking because I don't drink we'll socially. (I drink faster than everyone else) I'm not too worried about introducing my kid to it either though, I feel like if you teach your kid to be reaponsable he will learn how far is too far.

Never drank, but my kids has seen my relatives drink at family functions... They don't like it when they do...

My mother did smoke, like a fiend. I hate smoking and people that smoke even more,

Teach them to get you a beer from the fridge. :thumbsup:

My understanding is that the alcoholism skips generations because kids don't want to mimic their parents. As such, I drink like a fish.

In all seriousness, we drink and sometimes I get a good buzz on. I am not a violent drunk, but my youngest (who is a smart ass) calls me a drunk. He also calls me fat. :dunno:

I think that it would be good to show them how to drink in moderation and it might not be bad for them to learn the implications of doing it incorrectly. However, the reality is that you can tell and show kids things like this and it only goes so far. We did not listen to our parents when they said that we should not do drugs because they did them and it did not work out. We had to learn for ourselves and your kids will have to learn for themselves. Just have them do it in a manner where they don't hurt themselves or anyone else and you should be okay.

• Like 1

My understanding is that the alcoholism skips generations because kids don't want to mimic their parents. As such, I drink like a fish.

In all seriousness, we drink and sometimes I get a good buzz on. I am not a violent drunk, but my youngest (who is a smart ass) calls me a drunk. He also calls me fat. :dunno:

I think that it would be good to show them how to drink in moderation and it might not be bad for them to learn the implications of doing it incorrectly. However, the reality is that you can tell and show kids things like this and it only goes so far. We did not listen to our parents when they said that we should not do drugs because they did them and it did not work out. We had to learn for ourselves and your kids will have to learn for themselves. Just have them do it in a manner where they don't hurt themselves or anyone else and you should be okay.

I drank to much and my daughter is beginning to see it. She doesn't see me when I'm buzzed. She's usually in her room doing her own thing but she knows what's going on even though I try my best for her not to see it. We went to a pool party Sunday and everyone there was drinking. At one point she was getting out the pool and whispered to herself "bunch a drunks". I didn't say anything until we got home. She said she doesn't understand why drinking has to be involved in just about everything we do. Vacation, parties, Saints games, holidays, eating out, mowing the grass, blah blah blah. I told her it's part of the way we choose to live and it's what we enjoy. I hope she makes all the right choices and one understands why we made the choices we do.

There is nothing wrong with having a few drinks on the weekend. What you are doing is setting an example of how responsible people drink. If your kids turn into drunks it will be for other reasons.

I drank to much and my daughter is beginning to see it. She doesn't see me when I'm buzzed. She's usually in her room doing her own thing but she knows what's going on even though I try my best for her not to see it. We went to a pool party Sunday and everyone there was drinking. At one point she was getting out the pool and whispered to herself "bunch a drunks". I didn't say anything until we got home. She said she doesn't understand why drinking has to be involved in just about everything we do. Vacation, parties, Saints games, holidays, eating out, mowing the grass, blah blah blah. I told her it's part of the way we choose to live and it's what we enjoy. I hope she makes all the right choices and one understands why we made the choices we do.

I don't think either of us drinks too much. :cheers:

Hmm, I'm not really sure you are responding properly to the situation. :mellow:

My father had two beers every night. Now that he's older he's added gin martinis to his repertoire and probably drinks even more.

I drank when everyone else drank, and the vast majority did it to be social and get laid, and probably hated the taste.

You should worry more about the drive to get laid than your miller high life.

This was great to read in a Barney Gumbel voice :thumbsup:

I don't think either of us drinks too much. :cheers:

Me, being the cheap date that I am, question this statement. :cheers:

I grew up in a household where no one drank... Didn't stop me from partying. :dunno:

Same here. Two older siblings who were perfect kids as well. Never broke my stride.

I often think that my parent's vehement anti-drinking stance probably led me to it. Made it all seem dangerous and cool. Like me.

my dad gave me my first sip of beer when i was like 7

the best thing to do (and no i unfortunately did not get this experience) is to simply tell your kids, as they are getting to the late middle school / high school age, that you understand they are going to party and drink. make sure they know you don't mind, it's not a big deal.... so long as they don't drink and drive or get in a car with someone who does.. cuz you know damn well you did it as a kid and you know damn well that you can police your children all you wan't but they will find a way.

Me too. But I never was into "partying". And my parents weren't anti-alcohol, or anti-drug for that matter.

KSB - similar but different - it's cigars for me... smoke 'em when mowing the lawn, golfing, and sometimes at night on the back deck.

I tell the kids they're "bug sticks" for keeping the bugs away (somewhat true btw) but I know they're taking it all in.

don't know what the answer is.

I guess in the end it's about teaching your kids that life is full of choices and hopefully they grow and learn enough to make the right choices for themselves.

The answer is lead by example. I don't have kids, but this applies to all relationships/interactions.

I do not have positive answer. Even though they are not both my boys seem to be oblivious to our drinking.

One sobering incident was just after vacation my son asked if he can have this Gatorade in the refrigerator and I was like of course go ahead. And his answer was he didn't know if there was vodka in it ( on vacation me and the other guys made "drinks" that we passed around in a communal manner).

Smart kid though - give him that.

:cheers:

Me too. But I never was into "partying". And my parents weren't anti-alcohol, or anti-drug for that matter.

I've always being outgoing and social... plus, I grew up in Iowa... not a whole lot to do there.

I've always being outgoing and social... plus, I grew up in Iowa... not a whole lot to do there.

I really don't understand "partying". I'd rather hang out with 3-5 close friends than smalltalk with a bunch of drunken acquaintances/strangers in a loud bar/club/party venue.

• Like 1

I really don't understand "partying". I'd rather hang out with 3-5 close friends than smalltalk with a bunch of drunken acquaintances/strangers in a loud bar/club/party venue.

I also :wub: dancing and karaoke.

Karaoke is fun. Dancing is fun for women, and a tool for men to get into women's pants.

It might also be a tool to get into your pants, as well. :ninja: Meaning guys... not yours specifically.

It might also be a tool to get into your pants, as well. :ninja: Meaning guys... not yours specifically.

Sux going to be so pissed at you OM. He might even beat up penistraw

For most women, getting into a guys pants requires no extra tools. Shots may need a bottle opener.

For most women, getting into a guys pants requires no extra tools. Shots may need a bottle opener.

I know... I just find it funny when guys say stuff, like your previous statement... like us girls don't have a clue. Most of the time, we have our own agendas, as well.

If you need a tool to get into a guys pants, you must be hideously ugly.

If you need a tool to get into a guys pants, you must be hideously ugly.

Please read the statement that followed.

I know... I just find it funny when guys say stuff, like your previous statement... like us girls don't have a clue. Most of the time, we have our own agendas, as well.

I don't think anyone is fooled by the whole interaction. Women dress up like hoares when they go to clubs for good reason. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for women objectifying themselves if it makes them more willing to put out.

I don't think anyone is fooled by the whole interaction. Women dress up like hoares when they go to clubs for good reason. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for women objectifying themselves if it makes them more willing to put out.

I've never really dressed like a whoore... I have a rule of thumb: let one body part be the star. If you wear a sexy top, then keep your legs covered. If you wear a skirt, keep your top covered up. Never both at the same time.

I've never really dressed like a whoore... I have a rule of thumb: let one body part be the star. If you wear a sexy top, then keep your legs covered. If you wear a skirt, keep your top covered up. Never both at the same time.

1/2 a hoare is better than none. :thumbsup:

I have a rule of thumb: let one body part be the star.

uhhhhh... when did you modify the rule? We have it as "let one star cover each body part".

You're going to have to submit a formal change request on the rule.

uhhhhh... when did you modify the rule? We have it as "let one star cover each body part".

You're going to have to submit a formal change request on the rule.

:mad:

My father had two beers every night. Now that he's older he's added gin martinis to his repertoire and probably drinks even more.

I drank when everyone else drank, and the vast majority did it to be social and get laid, and probably hated the taste.

You should worry more about the drive to get laid than your miller high life.

Most of the reasons people drink and the actions they partake of while drinking are basically selfish/self-centered. If that's who people want to be, that's up to them. I try to find things to participate in that make me less selfish than I already am.

Most of the reasons people drink and the actions they partake of while drinking are basically selfish/self-centered. If that's who people want to be, that's up to them. I try to find things to participate in that make me less selfish than I already am.

I'm very selfish when it comes to some things and drinking is one of them. But I know some that don't drink and they don't do half the things I do for family and friends and could care less about what people think about them or there reasons.