Sign in to follow this  
DrMantisToboggan

Drop Kenbrell Thompkins?

Looks like he is pretty far down the pecking order. Not too mention he doesn't look good even compared to Dobson.

I can pick up Blackmon for him right now... what do you think? I think Dobson has seen more snaps.

When Amendola returns is there really any longterm value here??

I've been on the bandwagon for Thompkins, but I'm jumping ship. I'll be looking for a replacement next week.

he only had 1 bad drop on that quick slant, other than that the rest of his targets were throw aways or poorly thrown balls...if he catches that TD and finishes the game with 80+ yards and a TD people are all :banana: on the boards...he's still a hold until amendola comes back, hoping he has a big game in week 3 or 4 and can be trade bait

he only had 1 bad drop on that quick slant, other than that the rest of his targets were throw aways or poorly thrown balls...if he catches that TD and finishes the game with 80+ yards and a TD people are all :banana: on the boards...he's still a hold until amendola comes back, hoping he has a big game in week 3 or 4 and can be trade bait

So you agree when Amendola and Gronk come back along with emergence of Edleman and Dobson to an extent he has very little longterm value.

Dropping him myself. I had no illusions of WR1/2 or anything like that but was expecting WR3 numbers and just not there. He drops the ball and at ttimes looks like he hasn't read the play book , he runs bad routes from what I see . now granted he is a rookie and thats expected but he probally does not belong on a fantasy football team this year.

I don't think Dobson is lighting the world on fire either. He dropped multiple passes tonight. Being that Brady is his qb I'm willing to hold on to him a bit longer. He'll just be riding the pine from here on out until he proves me otherwise.

So you agree when Amendola and Gronk come back along with emergence of Edleman and Dobson to an extent he has very little longterm value.

once amendola & gronk are both back in the fold he's the 4th banana in this offense at best...dobson looked god awful tonight, not sure why people are claiming he's emerging and thompkins should be cut immediately

unless something is great on the WW, i'm still hold and wait until he hopefully has a good week and can ship him elsewhere (was hoping tonight would be that night)

I did drop him already on 1 team because I had a chance at Julius Thomas(!!!!). Otherwise, he's staying. He was drafted as a #4 or #5 WR and doesn't need to be playing just yet. Keeping him on the bench for a bit and see what happens. He is getting looks and had a 38 yard reception tonight.

Went to bed at halftime. So did the game?

The stats look almost the same.

So much for my Thompkins & Ridley picks - not to mention Amendola & Vereen.

:cry:

I can weather the losses of everyone but Ridley. Kinda need a 2nd rounder to be a lock unless you're drafting with goofs.

He'll get better once Amendola and Gronk come back. Less pressure and defenses will concentrate on the other receivers. It's a long season boys.

He'll get better once Amendola and Gronk come back. Less pressure and defenses will concentrate on the other receivers. It's a long season boys.

Did you watch that game? Either Thompkin sucks at routes (was missed by 10+ yards) or Brady has gotten EXTREMELY inaccurate.

All depends on who is available to pick up. I dropped him to stash Harvin. I'd drop him for Blackmon as long as you can afford to stash a player who won't contribute for a while.

Hold. Did you really expect a rookie UDFA to light it up right out of the gate? Give him a few more weeks unless you really need the roster spot.

Hold. Did you really expect a rookie UDFA to light it up right out of the gate? Give him a few more weeks unless you really need the roster spot.

This. The weather was an absolute mess & they were playing on a short week. Brady has his work cut out but the kid has talent. If he holds onto that TD pass, his stat line would've looked great & we wouldn't be having this conversation. Megatron couldn't hold onto 2 TD's last week & he was playing in a dome. Better cut that deadweight from everyone's roster while we're at it as well. <<< That was sarcasm for those of you scratching your melons in confusion.

There is a reason why, historically, so few rookie WRs have highly productive seasons as opposed to rookie RBs or rookies at other positions. WR is arguably the most difficult position to learn at the pro level. That's true for polished 1st and 2nd round draft picks, never mind that this kid was undrafted. He might make a few big plays somewhere along the line, but good luck figuring out when those will occur. The hype on this guy was absurd.

• Like 1

There is a reason why, historically, so few rookie WRs have highly productive seasons as opposed to rookie RBs or rookies at other positions. WR is arguably the most difficult position to learn at the pro level. That's true for polished 1st and 2nd round draft picks, never mind that this kid was undrafted. He might make a few big plays somewhere along the line, but good luck figuring out when those will occur. The hype on this guy was absurd.

Well, I'd say QB is more difficult, considering the QB has to know exactly what the WRs are supposed to be doing on top of all his other responsibilities.

But I understand what you're trying to say. It is indeed more difficult than RB. Also WRs tend not to be the smartest players on the field. QB and OL have to be the smartest on offense, but of course OL doesn't matter fantasy wise really. WRs can be pretty dumb, once they finally learn their routes they're usually set.

If his reversed touchdown hadn't touched the ground, would you still be dropping him? His stat line would have been 72 yards and a touchdown.

^^ Agreed w WR Guru. A couple weeks back I made an offer for him in a dynasty league - 2014 3rd rounder. I felt that was a fair starter offer (would've gone up to a 2nd) but the guy I offered him to thought I was lowballing to the extreme. I felt bad because I think I pissed him off, but my evaluation was correct.

Can nobody see anything but the final stat line? As Newbie points out, a fly catching a ride on that ball would've slowed it the 1/16 of an inch required for him to get enough finger to rule it a catch. Then it's 72 yards and a TD, in a game where Brady played miserably. What happens when he plays well? I would imagine 72 yards and a TD is going to be pretty typical for this kid. And it's a helluva lot better than the ZERO you're going to get from Harvin for another AT LEAST 5 weeks.

Man oh man.

I thought he might have had a better game last night. I'm not dropping him yet, still think he will get targets and improve. Not confident to have him starting right now though.

Can nobody see anything but the final stat line? As Newbie points out, a fly catching a ride on that ball would've slowed it the 1/16 of an inch required for him to get enough finger to rule it a catch. Then it's 72 yards and a TD, in a game where Brady played miserably. What happens when he plays well? I would imagine 72 yards and a TD is going to be pretty typical for this kid. And it's a helluva lot better than the ZERO you're going to get from Harvin for another AT LEAST 5 weeks.

Man oh man.

Yea but if you give alot of players that extra inch they missed on the stats all aover would be skewed heavily. a tackle there, an inch here. We can only go by what hapened and divide that by consistency. It equals an unstartable player and a shaky bye week filler at best. When Gronk comes back ur looking at him being even further down the trust list.

Yea but if you give alot of players that extra inch they missed on the stats all aover would be skewed heavily. a tackle there, an inch here. We can only go by what hapened and divide that by consistency. It equals an unstartable player and a shaky bye week filler at best. When Gronk comes back ur looking at him being even further down the trust list.

Even more so, this argument is usually made when a player looks great but doesn't have great stats. These two NE WRs look worse than their stats would say they are.

If/when this team is healthy, it will be Gronk, Amendola and Edelman - probably in that order - hording the large bulk of the targets. I'd be very surprised if any other New England receiver tops 700 yards and a few scores, barring prolonged absences by the aforementioned.

If/when this team is healthy, it will be Gronk, Amendola and Edelman - probably in that order - hording the large bulk of the targets. I'd be very surprised if any other New England receiver tops 700 yards and a few scores, barring prolonged absences by the aforementioned.

That's just not going to happen. The Pats will be lucky if they can get all three of those guys on the field together for ONE FRIGGIN GAME.

Holding for a few more weeks, likely until I need to drop somebody during bye weeks. I think he still has talent and can produce this year, but I won't be starting him until I see a solid game or two from him.

this is why you don't draft rookie wr's

+1

If they get reps, they'll get good. Neither is quite there yet, but you can see the potential both, especially Thompkins. The only rookie I drafted in redraft leagues this year was Hopkins.

Most of you guys are barking up the wrong tree. You should be doing everything you can to pick up RBs. The injury/ depletion rate for RBs is about 3 times the rate for WRs. I'd take some very

marginal risks on WW RBs, instead of dropping these guys for WRs - a position of relatve plenty.

+1

If they get reps, they'll get good. Neither is quite there yet, but you can see the potential both, especially Thompkins. The only rookie I drafted in redraft leagues this year was Hopkins.

Most of you guys are barking up the wrong tree. You should be doing everything you can to pick up RBs. The injury/ depletion rate for RBs is about 3 times the rate for WRs. I'd take some very

marginal risks on WW RBs, instead of dropping these guys for WRs - a position of relatve plenty.

There really aren't any half-decent waiver wire RBs though

Dropping Kenbrell for Blackmon... how in the world can you predict what game Thompkins will get targets when Gronk, Amendola etc. return from injury?

One reason he was so highly thought of was because Dobson wasn't playing. Cut to Thurs night and Dobson is back looking better than Thompkins, not to mention he was picked by the Pats in the 2nd Rd.

Also heard that Thompkins has had numerous run-ins with the law... supposedly a former coke dealer.

Hmm, how will this young rookie adjust to life in Boston with NFL money in his hands? Even if the off field stuff doesn't become a problem I don't see how he can be worth much 2 weeks from now and even less 5 wks from now.

There really aren't any half-decent waiver wire RBs though

I'm not buying that. You just have not been looking for RBs early enough....as in, before their value becomes apparent. If you do not continually try to build depth at RB on your bench, there's a good chance you will be focked when one of your core RBs goes down..

Carrying extra RBs who may never see the field is a much better strategy IMO than carrying extra starter or flex quality WRs on your bench. Last I heard, bench points don't count anyway. So use your waiver wire for quick plug-and play WRs, but go after RBs aggressively at the first sign that they might become useful.

In addition to a core of 3 reliable RBs in each of my 6 leagues, I'm carrying guys like Lance Dunbar in 3 or 4 leagues, Bilol Powell in 2 (and he's beginning to produce), Kendall Hunter in 1, Bernard Pierce in 1, Brandon Bolden in 3 leagues, L Washington in 4 leagues (who I will now drop after seeing him play on Thursday night) in 4 leagues, Woodhead in 2 leagues, and Christine Michael in 1.

This is in addition to continuing to roster A Brown in 4 leagues, Vereen in 2 leagues, and Lattimore in 1. Brown and Vereen will both make it back around week 10/11 and I don't want to have to play russian roulette or get into a waiver bidding war to re-claim them later. IMO, continuing to carry these RBs is a much better use of my extra roster spots than claiming and carrying a Blackmon or a Harvin when there will almost always be a near equivalent WR at that time on the free agent list.

In a typical 18 player 12 team league, I'm carrying about 7 or 8 RBs and only 4 or 5 WRs, even though we could start 4 WRs and only need to start 2 RBs. That's how valuable I feel RBs are relative to WRs, especially this year. I'll probably pick up Indy's Kermit Williams (instead of "dammit" Donald Brown) or even Willis McGahee this week in some leagues where I drop Washington.

Here is my roster in one of my 12 team 18 player re-draft leagues which is pretty typical of my philosophy:

RBs: Rice, D Richardson, Bradshaw, B Powell, Dunbar, L Washington, Vereen

WRs: V Jackson, Marshall, Wayne, M Williams, G Tate

Other positions: Vick, Bradford, Winslow, DEN, Cincy, Bailey

BTW, I'm carrying 9 RBs in each of my two Dynasty leagues, between my active and my IR-DFR roster.

My point is that you need to systematically pick up your RB pick-ups pre-emptively and on speculation, before they are really NEEDED and before eveyone else in our league is after them. I look for the back-ups to the injury-prone guys like DeMarco Murray and Ahamad Bradshaw 1st.