Sign in to follow this  
giraldi02

Fantasy Playoff Heroes All Time

I was looking at some of my teams trying to figure out situations where a player might emerge on a losing team (Wheaton perhaps?)...or even an ascending team (Dobson for instance) and it got me to thinking...

Taking away all the Drew Brees' or the Adrian Peterson performances from heavily rostered draft day studs, what are some of the all time greatest late season or playoff waiver wire darlings that helped lead teams to the promised land? Did those players emerge as replacement guys to an injured star? Did they get the opportunity because the team was mathematically eliminated from contention? Or did they flash promise throughout the season and finally the lights all went on?

Just asking for discussion sake and maybe we can identify some guys that might be under the radar or minimally rostered...

Off the top of my head I can safely say that one season Derek Anderson and Braylon Edwards conspired for my division opponent to singlehandedly torpedo my playoff hopes.

When Priest Holmes went down Larry Johnson balled it really well.....right after I traded him.

I had Warner and Boldin when they were lighting it up in Arizona.

ryan grant i think it was, the gb rb who came outta no where and then disappeared as fast as he appeared the next year. kurt warner his first year in zona, cruz

Billy Volek

Samson Gado

Michael Pittman and Julius Jones helped me win a title...

Volek handed some azzclown my trophy one year.

I still weep bitterly over that. Also wonder if there wasn't something funny with that player substitution. I swore he didn't have him in at the beginning of that game. Opponent was Commish too.

Volek handed some azzclown my trophy one year.

I still weep bitterly over that. Also wonder if there wasn't something funny with that player substitution. I swore he didn't have him in at the beginning of that game. Opponent was Commish too.

Hehe...damn. Maybe give him the championship anyway for having Volek rostered...

Hehe...damn. Maybe give him the championship anyway for having Volek rostered...

I don't think he had him rostered prior to the start of the game either. This was several years ago when we had open waivers so you could pick up anyone at any time. You just couldn't put them in starting lineup....unless you had commish powers. Who knows...

Dee Brown

Samkon Gado

Rueben Droughns

Derek Anderson

Billy Volek to Drew Bennett combo

how bout

Chris Weinke, (I lost to this guy who picked up Weinke to start for Delhomme, and he threw for like 450 yards)

Denario Alexander was pretty good down the stretch last season. He was just finally healthy for more than 1 or 2 games in a row - unfortunately that didn't last too long....

Uhhh....Matt Flynn.

I never liked him after that 6td game.

Mike Anderson filling in for an injured Orlandis Gary filling in for an injured Terrell Davis.

At least 100 and a TD every week.

Ron Dayne of all people blew up for me one season during desperate times.

What a Christmas present it was for everyone that had him though in 06.

Jerome Harrison.last 3 games of 2009 season:

286/3, 2/12

148/1

127/1, 2/20

I lost in the game he passed the 200 yard mark. The dude rolled out Joe Flacco, Desean Jackson, AND Jamaal Charles too that week. I've never been more pissed in fantasy sports than that haha

DJAX got me through the championship game once. I had him and was slightly down, and my opponent had Shawn Alexander left. Djax got two long td's vs the Cowboys in the first half and I never looked back. :banana:

Percy harvin, that one year he came back from injury and had 2 amazing games back to back. I think it was 2013 or so. Oh wait...sorry for the necro, I think my time machine is acting up.

My first title I had jerry porter go nuts vs the titians. I survived my opponent having the volek / drew Bennett combo in the SB.

Micheal Pittman

Fred Taylor was really solid for the last month of one year.

Lost one year to sage rosenfels. My 2007 team was sick too. Romo m Barber s jax moss TO. Just too many cowboys.

Over the past three years, Ray Rice has been money during fantasy playoffs. I guess that won't be the case this year.

It will be. :ninja:

Billy Volek

Samkon Gado

Michael Pittman and Julius Jones helped me win a title...

Lol that was prolly me that picked up Billy. I think my QB went down just before the playoffs and picked him off and won the title. Larry Johnson also helped me to a title when Holmes cracked his neck.

Knowshon Moreno was a huge cog for me on my championship run at the end of last season.

Arian Foster had a solid final 4 games or so the season before he broke out.

I won a week 17 championship several years ago with big games from unlikely candidates Sidney Rice and Devin Aromashadu

(I can't remember for sure, but Foster the year before he broke out might have been the same season as Aromashadu and Rice)

Vinny Testaverde had a huge game vs the Steelers in 1996 in Week 14 that vaulted me to a huge playoff upset and win our league. Vinny was a steal in the late rounds as a fantasy QB for several years . . .

Knowshon Moreno was a huge cog for me on my championship run at the end of last season.

Arian Foster had a solid final 4 games or so the season before he broke out.

I won a week 17 championship several years ago with big games from unlikely candidates Sidney Rice and Devin Aromashadu

(I can't remember for sure, but Foster the year before he broke out might have been the same season as Aromashadu and Rice)

Same here. Mike Fox is not Shanahan, but he's also not stupid. I had McGahee last year. Never held a handcuff and when he got hurt and everyone was scrambling for Hillman, I picked up Moreno for nothing. So, combine McGahee and Moreno into 1 back ... that was my #1 RB slot last year. What back did better than that? Peterson? Maybe. In PPR the Denver RB is huge.

Was amazing to me, all these mocks, all this "insider info" that it is gonna be Ball, or ... Ball and Hillman ... or ... CJ Anderson and Moreno comes out and plays awesome again this year. 10th round pick for me, saved my season. It still amazes me, that so many people had written off Moreno, after last year.

Same here. Mike Fox is not Shanahan, but he's also not stupid.

John Fox isn't stupid either...or is it John Shanahan???

Yeah ... John Fox ... oops. Former Defensive coordinater for the Giants.

They would ask him last year after McGahee went down who the starting RB was gonna be ... and he was kinda evasive. "Well, all 3 guys have a different skill set ..." and surprised everyone with Moreno, who did great.

I was kinda surprised he was available so cheap this year. I was a little secretive about it until after my draft, but I fully expected him to be the starter.

Let me be clear, I was always a Kno-show hater ... thought he was a bust, but what he did last year, after McGahee went down ... that's the best he had looked in his career, at that point. He's in a system that works for him. He's actually a really important piece of that offense.

Let me be clear, I was always a Kno-show hater ... thought he was a bust, but what he did last year, after McGahee went down ... that's the best he had looked in his career, at that point. He's in a system that works for him. He's actually a really important piece of that offense.

I agree. For whatever reason, evweryone wasall over Ball's jock preseason. The smart guys remembered how Moreno was a decent all around back, and he did great in pass protection for Manning. I don't think that Moreno may be the most talented back they have, but he protects the most important Bronco better than the rest.