Sign in to follow this  
Gandalfthecat

Anyone rolling with Cutler as their starter?

Haven't drafted yet but I'm targeting him in rounds 9-11 as my starter in a 12 team league.

Like him more as a QB #2 . He has the WR but misses a lot of games .

I am going to try and land him as my starter in the midrounds of the draft. He has a cannon for an arm.

I am going to try and land him as my starter in the midrounds of the draft. He has a cannon for an arm.

Cannon for an arm, and you should see what he has in his pants!

In all seriousness, almost everyone is targeting Cutler late, but in real drafts I see him going a round or two above his current ADP. If you want him (and I do - he's a QB1), need to go get him early, because chances are half the people in the league are thinking the same thing.

He's on the top of my list of targets for my auction. I really like River's as well... but living in SD... guys in my league will blow up his value.

In all seriousness, almost everyone is targeting Cutler late, but in real drafts I see him going a round or two above his current ADP. If you want him (and I do - he's a QB1), need to go get him early, because chances are half the people in the league are thinking the same thing.

Ehhhhh. I have him at #14. That's makes him a 2 for me, for most people. He's behind Peyton, Rodgers, Brees, Foles, Stafford, Kaep, Newton, Luck, RG3, Brady, Wilson, Ryan, and Romo.

Ehhhhh. I have him at #14. That's makes him a 2 for me, for most people. He's behind Peyton, Rodgers, Brees, Foles, Stafford, Kaep, Newton, Luck, RG3, Brady, Wilson, Ryan, and Romo.

Kaep, Newton, RG3, Wilson and Romo all ahead of Cutler? Wow.

Kaep, Newton, RG3, Wilson and Romo all ahead of Cutler? Wow.

Really? Taking the average of 15 different sources, that's were he's at too - though those rankings have the 13 ahead of him in a different order (Kaep and Wilson much lower, just ahead of Cutler). My ranking are on projections. There, Cutler is still 14th.

I really fail to see why this is so surprising to anyone. Again, look at rankings with any source and see if Cutler is top 10 in any of them. I looked at 15 and he wasn't in a single one.

Jay Cutler will be a top 10 Q.B. this year.

This is his second year in Trestman's offense, they've steadily been improving their offensive line, and the Bears' defense has been on a steady decline. With Alshon Jeffery hitting his third year in the league (the year in which most wide receivers truly start hitting their stride) and Brandon Marshall seeing more single coverage thanks to the aforementioned speedster you'd be a fool not to think so. Taking into account his division and his fairly friendly schedule as long as he stays healthy he's a lock.

Cutler is to me a great QB to take if you're the last owner in your league to take a QB and plan to back him up immediately with another quarterback. I'd feel comfortable with Cutler / Dalton or Cutler / Big Ben for example.

He gets dinged up a lot and seems mentally fragile. I also think he's wildly overrated in football terms. People talk about Cutler on the radio like he's a Top 10 passer and not like he's a career 86 rates QB who hasn't had a complete good year in several seasons.

I guess I'm not all that interested. Mostly because he has jerkface.

Cutler is to me a great QB to take if you're the last owner in your league to take a QB and plan to back him up immediately with another quarterback. I'd feel comfortable with Cutler / Dalton or Cutler / Big Ben for example.

He gets dinged up a lot and seems mentally fragile. I also think he's wildly overrated in football terms. People talk about Cutler on the radio like he's a Top 10 passer and not like he's a career 86 rates QB who hasn't had a complete good year in several seasons.

That's what I'm saying! People say, "Marshall, Jeffrey, Forte...Cutler is gold!" But he's not. His best year - ever - was 2008 in Denver when he threw for 4500 yards and 25 TDs. But he also had 20 turnovers. Other than that, he's a career 3500 guy who will toss mid-20s TDs, but also have about 20 TOs.

I actually think he does better this year. If he stays healthy, he should top 4000 yards, barely. I think he'll approach 30 TDs, but he still gets his near 20 TOs.

That leaves him in the 14 range with guys like Big Ben and Rivers. He's be a great #2, but I would feel very disappointed with him as a 1. Now, in a 2-QB league, I'd be excited with him as a 2. It's all relative. And he looks like his parents WERE relatives!

I have the following QBs ranked over Cutler:

Manning

Brees

Rodgers

Luck

Stafford

Brady

Foles

Newton

Ryan

RG3

Kaepernick

Romo

Dalton

He's right around Wilson, Rivers, Big Ben and Palmer in my book and barely a starter in 12-team leagues.

I'd love to wait until the 9-11 round range and grab 2 of the last 5-6 on my list in a row to just ride the hot hand. I'd really hate to end up with Cutler as my starter with someone like Eli, Flacco or Tannehill backing him up.

I know the league is flush with good passers but it really sucks to get stuck with a low end starter who's also an injury risk week after week.

I think the real value this year is in the mid-tier guys ranked in the 6-12 range plus a quality backup named above. Draft Newton, Ryan, Brady, etc. and follow that up with Cutler or Rivers later.

I always find it interesting when a QB has two WRs projected to be top 10-15 and he himself isn't even expected to break the top 10. He's got one of the best pairs of WRs in the league, a crap defense, a RB who can catch well, decent TE.... Definitely is a later round QB that is almost guaranteed to be top 10. As with all years, I see no reason to reach for a QB early unless its too good of a value to pass up. Ryan, Newton, Brady, Kaep, RG3, and Cutler are all going fairly late this year. I'll be quite happy to get two of them and play match ups all year while having a much better WR or RB from rounds 2 or 3.

• Like 1

I always find it interesting when a QB has two WRs projected to be top 10-15 and he himself isn't even expected to break the top 10. He's got one of the best pairs of WRs in the league, a crap defense, a RB who can catch well, decent TE.... Definitely is a later round QB that is almost guaranteed to be top 10. As with all years, I see no reason to reach for a QB early unless its too good of a value to pass up. Ryan, Newton, Brady, Kaep, RG3, and Cutler are all going fairly late this year. I'll be quite happy to get two of them and play match ups all year while having a much better WR or RB from rounds 2 or 3.

This logic is gospel to me.

Really? Taking the average of 15 different sources, that's were he's at too - though those rankings have the 13 ahead of him in a different order (Kaep and Wilson much lower, just ahead of Cutler). My ranking are on projections. There, Cutler is still 14th.

I really fail to see why this is so surprising to anyone. Again, look at rankings with any source and see if Cutler is top 10 in any of them. I looked at 15 and he wasn't in a single one.

with two WRs in the top 10 and a RB that is good for 70 rec its laughable they have Cutler out of the top 10 for QBs :shocking:

with two WRs in the top 10 and a RB that is good for 70 rec its laughable they have Cutler out of the top 10 for QBs :shocking:

And who besides those three does he have? More importantly, which QBs above him will you drop down for the is sure thing top 10 guy?

Drop Peyton, Brees, Rodgers? No.

Drop Stafford, Luck, Ryan, Foles?

That's 7 right there.

Maybe Newton or RG3? Newton has been top 5 every year he's been in the league. Even if he drops w/o SSmth, will it be out of the top 10? RG3 has a lot of weapons and a HC who throws first. Plus he gets rush points.

Brady or Romo? Brady may no longer be elite, but he still produces. Romo, despite all the crap he gets, is a stat machine. Will be even more so this year with that "defense."

We're at 11 now.

What about Kaep and Wilson? Neither is overly exciting or flashy throwing, but those rush point sure add up!

That's 13 other QBs, but Cutler, who has never been top 10, is still a lock?

I don't think so. And neither does anyone else except for individuals here and there. If you're one of them, go for it! Take the guy. He just might do it. It's just he never has and the "experts" say the others are ranked or projected ahead of him. It's not that he won't produce, but that others will produce a little more.

Cutler is much more 10-15 than he is top 10.

But again, go for it.

Dude had Mike Tice as an offensive coordinator in 2012. I'm with you on R.G. 3 though and have you seen his playoff schedule? Oh man I'm targeting either him or Stafford this year.

Bears just signed Santonio Holmes. If/when he makes the team he might be the best 3rd WR in the league....ahem...when healthy. Being the Bears WR3, he might have a better chance at staying healthy, who knows.

This gives Cutler 5 legitimate receiving options in Marshall, Jeffrey, Bennett, Forte and now Holmes.

I wasn't really targeting Cutler this year but the addition of Holmes makes him a little more noteworthy....jmho

OMG! We have officially jumped the shark! When we declare S Holmes as the best #3 in football it is over!

Draft Cutler 1.1!

:overhead:

And who besides those three does he have? More importantly, which QBs above him will you drop down for the is sure thing top 10 guy?

Drop Peyton, Brees, Rodgers? No.

Drop Stafford, Luck, Ryan, Foles?

That's 7 right there.

I don't really see much separation between Cutler and that second group, or Kaep, Romo, Wilson, Cam, and Griffin. I'm inclined to take whichever one of them goes latest and not get too wrapped up in picking one over the other. I suppose I'd rank Stafford and Luck at 4 and 5 if I had to, but when Kaep, Cutler, and Romo are going in the 8th, I don't think I'd burn a 5th rounder on either of those guys. Some of them will break out, some will dip, and most will float within 10-15 points of each other for the season.

In a 2QB league, and I realize this is unusual, but...

I'm toying with him as a top-of-the-second round pick in a 10 team league.

I LOOOOVE his upside this year.

OMG! We have officially jumped the shark! When we declare S Holmes as the best #3 in football it is over!

Draft Cutler 1.1!

:overhead:

LOL... calm down buddy. Best #3 might be a stretch but sheeeesh, I just went through the league and he's at least top 5 or better, when healthy...that's jmo and maybe I'm the only one who thinks that. Whaddya think, quality WR3's are dime a dozen.

I claimed the addition of Holmes makes Cutler more noteworthy. Never said Cutler he is a top pick and doubt he'll go late enough for me to take him. After all, he was a top 3 QB in 2008.

Bear QB's had 32 TD's last year, Trestman's 1st year. No real reason to think that can't be duplicated, especially with the addition of Holmes :banana:

I have the following QBs ranked over Cutler:

Manning

Brees

Rodgers

Luck

Stafford

Brady

Foles

Newton

Ryan

RG3

Kaepernick

Romo

Dalton

Would take cutler before luck, cam, rg3, kaep, romo, dalton. And really probably Brady. This is fantasy, and he's gonna be slinging it.

Tommy Maddox Jay Cutler will throw for 5,000 yards!!! With Plaxico Buress and Hines Ward Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery he can't miss!!!

Whoa whoa whoa, this thread is getting a little out of hand with the hype. Does cutler have a shot to have his best season this year? Yes. But everyone needs to step back and remember who we are dealing with here. He's a good qb but is also a bit erratic and tends to have bad games vs good teams. His career high for tds in a season is 27 I believe. Start worthy qbs to me need to have a floor of 30tds, a tall order I know.

It's perfectly fine to rank him up there, but to put him above Luck and Romo is a little hasty. Above Cam, ok, foles, def. But we all may be a little swept up into cutler mania right now when he is a yearly headache for a lot of fantasy owners historically.

His career high for tds in a season is 27 I believe. Start worthy qbs to me need to have a floor of 30tds, a tall order I know.

You should lower your expectations a little. In each of the last 4 seasons, exactly 5 QBs have notched 30 or more TDs. Before that, no more than 4 QBs have thrown 30 TDs in a single season for a decade. Brees, Manning, Brady, and Rodgers have been the only mainstays in that category lately. Luck has thrown 23 TDs in each of his first two seasons--he's only been in the top tiers because of his rushing yardage and scores.

Basically, if you project Cutler--or anyone--for a mere 27 TDs, he's probably still going to finish in the top 10 QBs for the season.

True enough Tigers. I have 5 QBs projected above 30. But, I have 4 more at 29 or above. (I do averages so I'll get 29.4, for example). I have Cutler in this 29 group. His career best. I also have him at just over 4000 yards.

Great numbers to be sure, but times they are a changin'!

I have 12 QBs throwing for over 4000 yards. So Cutler's numbers project to be very good, his best, but that still doesn't make him a lock for top 10. Other QBs are slinging too!

Though I have Cutler 14th, the drop offs aren't that great. I have Cutler in a group with Romo, Ben, and Rivers. Not even 1ppg between them on average. But they are still ranked 13-16. They are still 12 QBs ahead of this group. So, to me, a ranking of 13-16 doesn't make them QB 1s in fantasy unless the league is more than 12 teams.

If others disagree, so be it.

Would take cutler before luck, cam, rg3, kaep, romo, dalton. And really probably Brady. This is fantasy, and he's gonna be slinging it.

Then you have him 7-8 among QBs, which makes him a below average starter in most formats. :dunno:

I don't think he's useless. I'm just saying if Cutler is my first QB I'm taking a high quality backup early.

Combine Cutlers and McCown's numbers last year and they were top 5...I think, or close to it. No reason to think if Cutler stays healthy he won't be top 10. Seems crazy when he has Marshall and Jeffery ranked so high, along with 70 catches from Forte, that he won't be in the top 10.

You should lower your expectations a little. In each of the last 4 seasons, exactly 5 QBs have notched 30 or more TDs. Before that, no more than 4 QBs have thrown 30 TDs in a single season for a decade. Brees, Manning, Brady, and Rodgers have been the only mainstays in that category lately. Luck has thrown 23 TDs in each of his first two seasons--he's only been in the top tiers because of his rushing yardage and scores.

Basically, if you project Cutler--or anyone--for a mere 27 TDs, he's probably still going to finish in the top 10 QBs for the season.

This is true and I know it's a little unrealistic to expect 30tds but I don't want to lower my expectations. if there are 5 qbs that get that high, I need to have one of them. So to me, that's my personal goal and expectation for a qb I draft within the first 9rnds. I dont want a top 10 qb, I want top 5 guy that I drafted as a top 12 guy. That takes some luck unless you get a top 3 wich are too expensive for me. So I'm banking on a Ryan or romo to get me there this year. If for so e reason I miss out on them, then I'll go rnd 10 and get a cutler, Ben, Wilson type wich I will then lower expectations for.