Sign in to follow this  
Bobbyn2022

Pierce worthless?

Someone dropped him in my league as of now I'm debating on dropping S.Green who plays Dallas but after reading people's thoughts about pierce I'm lost. Anyone think pierce will be a good RB3?

No I don't see any upside with Pierce

That backfield looks like a rock, paper, scissors act at the moment, seriously. It reminds me of the Redskins backfield a few years ago which was in total chaos before Alf Morris stepped in to take control. I hedged and picked up Forsett for this week while stashing Taliaferro on my taxi squad. Hell even the mighty Rotoworld is pulling a Jeckyl and Hyde act.

From Adam Levitan:

So now the big question is if Pierce is banished? I would be very surprised if that were the case. Forsett is a 29-year-old (in October) 5’8/190 scatback type that has never earned more than 119 carries in his career and is on his fifth team in seven years . Pierce has his flaws as a two-down player who has struggled to make plays, but he’s never fumbled before and his rookie tape was impressive. Expect Pierce to get another chance.

And from Raymond Summerlin:

Lost in the Ray Rice sage over the offseason was just how bad Bernard Pierce was last season. He only averaged 2.9 yards per carry in 2013, and was widely ineffective in the two games he saw extensive work.

That lack of production continued in Week 1. Pierce earned the start, but only managed 14 yards on six carries, and was benched after losing a fumble. To add insult to injury, Justin Forsett gained 70 yards on only 11 carries after replacing Pierce.

The release of Rice opens up an opportunity for Pierce. Forsett is not equipped to handle a starting load, and Lorenzo Taliaferro may not be ready for prime time. That said, there is nothing on tape the last two seasons that suggest Pierce can be a consistently effective running back. If someone still values him as an RB2, sell away.

Not that my fantasy football strategy hinges on what either of those two have to say, it just shows what a fluid situation this is right now. I actually am intrigued by Taliaferro long term.

Everyone talks about how he hasn't had many carries and can't last a whole season but he has never been given a chance. Seahawks got lynch during forsetts 2nd season. Then he backed up Arian foster, then last year mjd. Hopefully he has learned something from all these guys he's worked with

Taliaferro isn't a long term option.. Team is going to invest a high draft pick on a RB with almost certainty that will immediately come in with a starters role... Pierce is an 8-10 carry GL option, Forsett will get passing down looks and some early down action...

Taliaferro isn't a long term option.. Team is going to invest a high draft pick on a RB with almost certainty that will immediately come in with a starters role... Pierce is an 8-10 carry GL option, Forsett will get passing down looks and some early down action...

Turbin?

Pierce and it will be 70/30 split. I really think he was benched becasue he still wasn't right yet.. People that Drop Pierce or have might very shortly come to regret it.

Call me naive, someone is going to emerge as a nice RB2. Kubiak usually gets RBs to produce. I might've drank too much of his kool aid over the years, though.

My guess is this Taliaferro guy gets a good chance. Some outlets were talking him up in the preseason as a Week 1/2 sleeper. Looked like the best RB during OTA's, according to some reports.

Now with RR gone, he'll get a chance.

Pierce and it will be 70/30 split. I really think he was benched becasue he still wasn't right yet.. People that Drop Pierce or have might very shortly come to regret it.

Wasn't right due to lingering effects of his concussion? Doubt it. Teams aren't focking around with that stuff and an independent doctor assesses when players are right to play.

Wasn't right because he missed practice time due to his concussion? Maybe.

Wasn't right because he really hasn't shown much since his rookie year? Could be.

I'm hanging on for this week because PIT was gashed on the ground last week. Don't really have much optimism for him or the situation though. Just hoping to squeeze some value out of him with a decent showing tonight.

I wouldn't say he is "worthless." Somebody should emerge out of that Baltimore backfield and Pierce is just as good a candidate as any. They all have major question marks.

Pittsburgh made the Cleveland backs look like pro bowlers last week. Don't take too much out of this game.

B. Pierce.... 22 carries 96 yds & 1 rec 7 yds

No TDs tonight, but a starting RB who gets 22 carries and 2 receiving targets isn't "worthless". I'm pleasantly surprised with tonight's result considering his benching last week.

• Like 1

B. Pierce.... 22 carries 96 yds & 1 rec 7 yds

No TDs tonight, but a starting RB who gets 22 carries and 2 receiving targets isn't "worthless". I'm pleasantly surprised with tonight's result considering his benching last week.

Yup. Sheer volume of touches is good news. Ending up w 100+ is fantastic news. He is the feature back on a middle of the road O, I'll take it for where I picked him up...

Good flex or bye week fill in. Not a dependable starter.

If he's getting 20+ touches a game, he'll be rb2 for half the teams in every league on the planet by week 4...and you know this...

One more strong week and he's nice trade bait...

If he's getting 20+ touches a game, he'll be rb2 for half the teams in every league on the planet by week 4...and you know this...

One more strong week and he's nice trade bait...

In one league, I got Johnson, Johnson and Johnson. Calvin, Andre and Chris.

In that league, I have Lynch, Rashad Jennings, Moreno ... Pierce might be my RB 5. In the league where I drafted Rice ... i got Taliaferro. :shrug:

Good flex or bye week fill in. Not a dependable starter.

I could see him getting stronger as the year goes on. Could end up a solid RB2 yet

Offered him up to the forsett owner for Torrey smith hope he bites lol

you want Torrey Smith lol

as for Pierce, this was basically his first full action this season, since he missed all of the preseason as well

I didn't like what a saw out of Pierce last night. He had volume because of the big lead and juiced his numbers on a couple late runs. Pierce didn't show much goal line ability. I think that if a game goes off script he ends up on the bench as Forsett gets in.

The big take away is that the Pit run D looks bad. Cleveland made them look silly and Balt was able to get into the 2nd level.

Pierce lacks vision, and thus lacks the ability to see the hole forming and adjust his run to that hole. I think it is something he can improve upon, and it was something he actually did reasonably well in the past, but no more.

He is hitting the hole he thinks will be there before it actually opens in some cases, but in most cases he appears to be running the "number" so to speak, and not reading the blocks.