Sign in to follow this  
DaBeerz

If Tebow didn't come with the Media Circus, would he still be playing in the NFL?

I actually think he would, albeit in a backup role.

If teams weren't so worried about the media circus that follows him everywhere, along with the obvious religious overtones, I think he'd still be in the league.

Let's say for the sake of argument he wasn't religious, the media wouldn't care and he would just be a non-prototypical backup QB.

I think a big factor is the plays you can run with Tebow. The OCs have their systems in place and have dedicated the entire offseason, practices, personnel to that system.

Having Tebow would require an entirely different playbook and offensive system. Making a change of that magnitude mid season is not something the coaches want to do.

The dude led fantastic comebacks and won games including a playoff game. Got a raw deal, despite sucking but still had a better career than alot of the qbs in the nfl will ever have successwise.

• Like 1

They say inferior QBs who accept their role as the backup have the best chances of making rosters. Not only did he have the media baggage, but the fanbase that insisted he be the starter wherever he went. Probably a headache for the organization when every incompletion from the starter resulted in Tebow fans chanting his name.

If teams weren't so worried about the media circus that follows him everywhere, along with the obvious religious overtones, I think he'd still be in the league.

Let's say for the sake of argument he wasn't religious, the media wouldn't care and he would just be a non-prototypical backup QB.

Nope . I don't think so . He never would have even been drafted .

Tebow's upside was probably a good backup on a team that already runs the same kind of unorthodox offense that he fits into. Why would any team want to put up with the media circus for that?

When tebow first entered the league he had potential. However as time went on he lost speed, arm strength, and confidence. He started making poor decisions and just started getting worse as a player. Espn did a whole segment on it s while back

Tebow = Manziel

Both overhyped beyond any decent limits by ESPN out of college, to an extent that would make Paul Bunyan feel ashamed. Both amazing college QBs, with tool sets that were ideal for the college game. Time will prove both to be NFL busts.

• Like 1

When people point out Tebow's outstanding college career, they fail to remember that he ran a great deal of his touchdowns in from the 1 or 2 yard line. So essentially instead of handing it off to their RB, Tebow optioned to himself nearly all the time.

This foretold what we saw with him in the NFL; a selfish, dillusional person whose stats lead you to believe he's more than his talent showed.

For those that feel he didn't get his chances; so Head Coaches in the NFL would rather keep a serious talent benched than start him? Even with their jobs potentially on the line? Sure.............

It's an old discussion, but IMO Tebow's biggest problem wasn't his religion or the "circus", it was the fact that he proved football is still at its heart modified rugby. You can be a terrible passer and still win in the NFL with a game straight out of 1933.

He did as well as Manning (in his 1st year with the Broncos) and actually a little better because he won a playoff game which PM did not.

It's a scarey problem for NFL branding and everything they're about.

Tebow won games. Period. No one wants to be "that" team to pick him up now because they think doing so represents giving up. They think it shows they are the most desperate team in the league and aren't focused on the future of their organization. It's all bull though. He killed it in 2011. Regardless of what people say he got wins and got a playoff win. Then 2012 & 2013 he never gets a chance to play a full game. Idk what people are smoking because as far as I know winning is the only goal.

Maybe not.

He would have been given a much greater chance at succeeding though.

Tebow = Manziel

Both overhyped beyond any decent limits by ESPN out of college, to an extent that would make Paul Bunyan feel ashamed. Both amazing college QBs, with tool sets that were ideal for the college game. Time will prove both to be NFL busts.

Manziel is way better equipped to be a successful NFL QB than Tebow. Not saying he's a star-to-be, but just his technique and release and vision are way ahead of where Tebow was coming into the league.

Vince Young Tebow won games. Period.

Sound familiar?

They both played like sh!t for the majority of the game with brief glimpses of talent.

Neither should have been in the NFL but the Hype Train defies logic.

Tebow would have required a perfect situation, but I think given that he could have had some measure of success.

As stated earlier, the offensive system has to be built around his particular skill set. Even more important, a team has to be wiling to buck current wisdom and accepot as someone else said that it's just possible that "modern" football doesn't have to be so different than the old time, smash mouth game IF you're willing to commit to it.

But in the end, the question becomes whether you can win... really win... with that approach. If it's just a matter of going 8-8 and selling lots of merchandise, that's good enough for some franchises. That's a mind set that would have kept Tebow in the league and why I'm surprised Jax never seriously went after him. But I have to admire that they had a vision for their franchise and are following that course with Bortles.

NFL needs a QB development league or something. Some guys it just takes a long time to slow the game down and make the right choices. Kurt Warner took 4 years to get back to the show. The NFL needs more capable QB's. Maybe with some more time Tebow could have been a solid backup with more training.

NFL needs a QB development league or something. Some guys it just takes a long time to slow the game down and make the right choices. Kurt Warner took 4 years to get back to the show. The NFL needs more capable QB's. Maybe with some more time Tebow could have been a solid backup with more training.

Do you think the Broncos and Jets spent millions on Tebow and didn't try to train him? Prior to him entering the NFL, he worked with coaches and trainers yet still sucked.

And he couldn't be a backup because the retard religious/Gator fans would yell 'Teeee-Boooooowwww' every time the starter would make a mistake.

Lack of talent and side show are why Tebow isn't worth a roster spot.

Do you think the Broncos and Jets spent millions on Tebow and didn't try to train him? Prior to him entering the NFL, he worked with coaches and trainers yet still sucked.

And he couldn't be a backup because the retard religious/Gator fans would yell 'Teeee-Boooooowwww' every time the starter would make a mistake.

Not making an excuse for Tebow specifically, just young QB's in general.

For some of them, I agree.

I think it's just a good many of the QBs in college think they're much better than they are. Teams should just stop drafting the 'athletic' QBs as 99% of the time, they're garbage. And if they don't want to throw at the combine, don't draft them either.

Tebow went 6-2 in Denver plus won a playoff game, and that was with a damn good set of receivers as we know.

At NYJ he did not see the field and that's been a black hole for QBs. As an example look at what Sanchez did in Philly in the preseason, he looked very good.

This discussion is like a million times done, but I think everyone should just leave the Jets out of any discussion about future value of QBs, including Sanchez and Geno Smith.

However I guaran-damn-tee you that Tebow would do better than 46 net yards offense which is what Geno and Vick produced last week. And the team would play for him all out, again unlike Smith & Vick.

A west coast offense could have and still could pick the guy up and win with him today. That offense would fit a guy with a below average arm because the QB is just expected to make quick drops and get the ball out quickly on short to intermediate routes and screens. A west coast offense could easily be run by Tebow and succeed because they have and do with guys just as limited as him in certain areas. You'll never know though because like one poster mentioned the fan base would be divided by those that are Tebow maniacs and those that think the organization just gave up by bringing him in.

Tebow won games. Period. No one wants to be "that" team to pick him up now because they think doing so represents giving up. They think it shows they are the most desperate team in the league and aren't focused on the future of their organization. It's all bull though. He killed it in 2011. Regardless of what people say he got wins and got a playoff win. Then 2012 & 2013 he never gets a chance to play a full game. Idk what people are smoking because as far as I know winning is the only goal.

I love how he gets all the credit for that team going 7-4 while he was QB. In 5 of those 7 games the Denver defense held the opposition to 15 points or less. In his 11 starts the offense scored over 20 points only 3 times. I know there were dramatic finishes but did he really do anything special to win those games so to say he killed isn't exactly a true statement. Denver didn't win because the Tebow-lead offense could rarely get past the 20 point barrier, they won because usually the defense was holding the opposition to about 13 points or so.

That being said, I think he could be a backup QB but no NFL team is going to put up with that kind of media issue for a backup QB.