Sign in to follow this  
Ray_T

Is anyone on the David Cobb Bandwagon?

I saw the highlights of the Tennessee game. I went looking for Sankey Highlights, but found this kid.

he looks pretty good.

I know he's running against third stringers this time of year, but what I saw made me think this kid may be a sneaky sleeper pick.

I havnt done much research on the kid, I'll be honest. but I'm gonna start doing some digging.

if anyone else finds anything, Post here please.

Either way, the first Exhibition game certainly showed his stock is rising.

A fine lotto ticket stash. Just know the week you cut him for a kicker on bye is the week somehing will happen to thrust him into next years top 2 rounds.

Watched the game too. Sankey just doesn't have IT. That is just the ugly truth.

Hung around to watch Cobb, and liked what I saw. I did notice that he looked a little shaky in pass protection a couple of times which is concerning (although not surprising), but the kid is a pounder with the rock, and can get to the outside too.

I think he is a guy worth picking up late, mainly because Sankey sucks so badly. It's all about opportunity.

Sankey looks like a complete boring no name. If he wasn't a 2nd round pick the kid would be last on the depth chart fighting for a job. I watched a lot of early practices. Cobb was a slow starter from an injury, but he's quickly catching up and surpassing the "JAG" that is Bishop Stankey.

Choo Choo Cobb.

He's a bit of a plodder, but not a bad runner. Sankey just seems a half-step behind on everything, so the opportunity for Cobb is there. I'm not sure Tennessee's going to take a leap this year, but in the 9th-10th round, you're not gonna find many other guys with a reasonable shot at 150-200 carries.

Yeah, I like Cobb a lot... have only had one live draft, and was getting ready to pull the trigger on him, when he got sniped right in front of me - 11th round I think it was.

I'm going to target him earlier in my other drafts.

Right now I'm not on the wagon about either one . Roto keeps reporting it seems like everyone other day one of the either is the lead rb . Don't like the ideal of a weak team with two RBs on my teams . But if one of them does take over the job than I am on the wagon .

Right now I'm not on the wagon about either one . Roto keeps reporting it seems like everyone other day one of the either is the lead rb . Don't like the ideal of a weak team with two RBs on my teams . But if one of them does take over the job than I am on the wagon .

Generally I agree, however Cobb is tough between the tackles and Sankey is better suited to be a 3rd down back - I think Cobb will eventually own that job. Maybe not as emphatically as Jeremy Hill, but him and Gio are a good template for Cobb and Sankey.

Old school, I think Cobb can be pretty good.

I thought Sankey looked fine. What you saw was a poor o line not making much room at all for him to run. I dont think Cobb is the answer at all. The guy is slow as it gets for a rb. He may end up being better than Sankey since the line is bad, but that doesnt say much about eithers chances. The only way either become good stat producers is if Mariota can open holes from a defense worrying about him taking off.

Until the Titans O-line learns to block, it's hard to like either of these guys. Full Disclosure: I was left to draft Sankey as a backup (I believe it was the 10th rd) in one of the leagues I was in due to the lack of other RBs left. I'm going to wait it out, but he is the most likely on my team to be dropped for anyone else.

TEN - RB David Cobb critiques himself

Source: TitansOnline.com - Jim Wyatt

Tennessee Titans rookie RB David Cobb said he wants to improve on his reads and breaking tackles after the Titans' first preseason game. Head coach Ken Whisenhunt must have seen something different, saying Cobb earned more time with the first-team offense after his performance.

Fantasy owners need to be alert here. Bishop Sankey could begin the season as the starter, but we believe Cobb is the better back and could take over at some point this year. Cobb is a powerful, efficient and determined runner. He's not going to break ankles, but he may break facemasks. He doesn't shy away from contact, and Cobb can create his own space as a runner because of his powerful lower body. With a larger opportunity, the rookie could easily outperform his current ADP (RB48, 11.04) in 12-team PPR leagues.

TEN - RB David Cobb critiques himself

Tennessee Titans rookie RB David Cobb said he wants to improve on his reads and breaking tackles after the Titans' first preseason game. Head coach Ken Whisenhunt must have seen something different, saying Cobb earned more time with the first-team offense after his performance.

Fantasy owners need to be alert here. Bishop Sankey could begin the season as the starter, but we believe Cobb is the better back and could take over at some point this year. Cobb is a powerful, efficient and determined runner. He's not going to break ankles, but he may break facemasks. He doesn't shy away from contact, and Cobb can create his own space as a runner because of his powerful lower body. With a larger opportunity, the rookie could easily outperform his current ADP (RB48, 11.04) in 12-team PPR leagues.

Yea it's ugly . And who wants to be on that wagon with a team that's going to have problems scoring tds

I'm banging the table for him and have chased/drafted him in most leagues. Agreed with above; Sankey just doesn't have IT. Don't think he'll ever find it either, but I've still looked to pick up Sankey on the cheap in every league I have Cobb in. Waldman had Cobb as the #10 RB prospect this year, but when he landed in Tennessee it vaulted him into my top 5 for rookie rbs coming out this year.

He's got great size at 5'11" and 229, soft hands, good burst/vision and enough power to break arm tackles and is excellent in the screen game but he needs to work on pass pro develop more punch when he does set up for pass blocking.

highlights:

Looking at the film, He looks like he has a good nose for the Goal line. Runs right through arm tackles. Maybe a bit more elusive than you would expect a guy of his size to be.

one thing I'm not keen on is the way he seems to handle the football.

has he had issues with putting the ball on the ground? (ie. fumbling)

On my radar for sure but bandwagon not. I mean when you are behind those bozos it means something

he does remind me of Marion Barber when he started out.

Not quite as physical, and a bit more elusive. But runs without fear in the same way he did.

Watching Barber was fun he did run so reckless .

TEN - RB David Cobb's work ethic under fire

Tennessee Titans RB David Cobb (calf) needs to improve his work ethic, according to running backs coach Sylvester Croom. 'I like his natural running ability, his natural running instincts,' Croom said. 'But he has a long way to go. He has to learn how to be a pro as far as work ethic, taking care of his body, getting in here early and doing the little things it takes to be a pro. He still hasn't quite learned what being professional means, so he has to learn that. There's no scholarships here, and his work ethic has to be better. He has to learn to practice like you play in a game. Once he does that, he has a chance to be a good football player.'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TEN - More on RB Bishop Sankey's progress

Updating previous reports, Tennessee Titans RB Bishop Sankey has impressed his coaches with improvement this preseason. 'I think Bishop made significant improvement last week in practices as far as getting downhill and hitting the hole and it showed up in the game,' running backs coach Sylvester Croom said. 'That is something he has to continue to work on. I think from the first game to the last game his improvement was significant, and he played with a lot of confidence. He has to continue to work on that where it is consistently done that way. Pass protection, assignment-wise, he is doing a good job, but we still have to improve on technique. He needs to make the running style consistent.'

TEN - RB David Cobb's work ethic under fire

Tennessee Titans RB David Cobb (calf) needs to improve his work ethic, according to running backs coach Sylvester Croom. 'I like his natural running ability, his natural running instincts,' Croom said. 'But he has a long way to go. He has to learn how to be a pro as far as work ethic, taking care of his body, getting in here early and doing the little things it takes to be a pro. He still hasn't quite learned what being professional means, so he has to learn that. There's no scholarships here, and his work ethic has to be better. He has to learn to practice like you play in a game. Once he does that, he has a chance to be a good football player.'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TEN - More on RB Bishop Sankey's progress

Updating previous reports, Tennessee Titans RB Bishop Sankey has impressed his coaches with improvement this preseason. 'I think Bishop made significant improvement last week in practices as far as getting downhill and hitting the hole and it showed up in the game,' running backs coach Sylvester Croom said. 'That is something he has to continue to work on. I think from the first game to the last game his improvement was significant, and he played with a lot of confidence. He has to continue to work on that where it is consistently done that way. Pass protection, assignment-wise, he is doing a good job, but we still have to improve on technique. He needs to make the running style consistent.'

by the sound of this, I'd say he thinks Cobb isnt yet ready.

I'm guessing he will relieve Sankey if he cant get it done. So, a good handcuff, but not the horse to hitch your cart to.

I dont think Cobb is going to be good. The offense will be ok at best in Ten. He just isnt that good of an athlete. Great size but very slow.

Rbbc on a below avg team , I will pass on both of them .

I locked up Sankey later rounds in my draft. At a certian point you can't pass...Cobb got drafted before I took Sankey.

Projection on this site is 3TDs for Sankey. Would you draft that as late round flier or an unknown? Maybe even take shot at Ray Rice? You aren't planning on starting them so maybe Arian Foster even. Nice topic something to keep a tab on.

Sankey looks a lot better than Cobb to me. Sankey is running like a man trying to prove something.

I dont think Cobb is going to be good. The offense will be ok at best in Ten. He just isnt that good of an athlete. Great size but very slow.

Says the guy who drafted Sankey all over the place last year. :)

Sankey looks a lot better than Cobb to me. Sankey is running like a man trying to prove something.

Trying to prove he shouldn't be cut I'd imagine.

Sankey has the job for now. Emphasis on the for now.

Says the guy who drafted Sankey all over the place last year. :)

Trying to prove he shouldn't be cut I'd imagine.

Sankey has the job for now. Emphasis on the for now.

I admit that i wasnt right on Sankey. I still think he could be an awesome RB, but last year the Titans were the absolute suck. He had nowhere to run. Now the coaching staff made him put on weight for whatever reason. He is still a really good athlete who looks good running the ball in preseason so far. The allure was drafting a rookie with great athleticism who should have walked in and started from go. Unfortunately poor coaching and poor talent around him have probably taken away any upside he has on that team.

My only hope is that Mariota is competent at QB and can open up holes for Sankey like RG3 did for Alf. Cobbs work ethic is already in question btw.

Check out the 2014 Gopher team stats, particularlly on a game by game basis.

There is a number of games where they had no passing game. Everything was accomplished via the run. Everything.

Cobb was the feature in that attack. And, they got the W in many of those games. I don't think Cobb needs someone to create a hole to be effective.

Coach speak, should be taken for motiviational speak. It doesn't mean anything in regards to the reality of the player in all situations.

That stated, Cobb is a rookie. Unless you are in a dyansty or keeper type league. Is a later round type pickup.

A bit higher in TN maybe or around a Gopher alumni.

At the right point in the draft. I would rather have Cobb late than Stinkey early.

• Like 1

Before everyone goes crazy over Cobb, I'm telling you... if sankey runs like he's been running this preseason, he's keeping the job.

I got Sankey in the late late portion of the draft. The next pick was Cobb. I'm okay with Sankey as my 4th back, but he really needs to take a leap.

Sorry but I do t see either one of them being number one week to week . I se a rotation every week and the hot hand wins that day . And I don't see a lot of points from either one of them based on they play on a team that's going to have problems getting first downs and moving the ball .