Sign in to follow this  
TennisMenace

Do you keep a back up qb?

Tantastic got me thinking on another thread, so I think this deserves its own thread.

Do you keep a back up qb? Why Should you and why shouldn't you? Thanks.

Yes I usually grab my bargain backup who I wanted as my sleeper #1 fairly early for Trade bait. Usually my #2 will outperform my #1

This year grabbed Bradford after Brees who slipped.

Last year grabbed Wilson after Ryan.

No unless something happens to my starter or it's the week before my only QB's bye week I add a bench QB I expect to produce the most on my QB's bye. As in doing it the week before I have a better chance at acquiring the best one as most of my co-owners wouldn't expect me to get a QB then or I might be able to "steal" a guy that some other team cut because he's on his bye week.

I only grab a backup if I don't trust my QB, or I might stream for bad matchups. I think QB is the deepest position because you only start 1.

I do in general. I think a small part of it harkens back to the day when my only league at the time required two QBs on the roster, but really, the position is so important that you need to have somebody decent to play in that position. I can churn other bench positions in general.

That being said, I'm in one league which only has 4 bench positions. I don't have a QB2 there. So it depends on such variables.

If I draft a top 6 or 7 QB the answer is No. I normally just keep one and free that roster spot up. It's one of the perks of spending an early to mid round pick on a QB.

Luck, Rodgers, Ben, Brees, etc.

Now if I waited on a QB I like to grab two, to either stream based on match ups or maybe one has a fantastic year. Ryan and Bridgewater. Bradford and Tannehill. Newton and Kaepernick.

So it depends.

If you have a top tier QB, then you don't keep a back up. You paid a premium for a top QB to have an every week starter. Don't also spend a later pick on pine rider. Just pick up a bye week filler the week you need him (or a week early if you see a FA you really want). Drop the back up after the bye week.

If you waited on a QB, you are probably streaming two QBs anyway, so that conversation is less about a back up and more about having a viable starter based on match ups.

Drafting for trade bait rarely works in fantasy. I'd rather draft startable skill players and fliers I can actually use later.

Tantastic got me thinking on another thread, so I think this deserves its own thread.

Do you keep a back up qb? Why Should you and why shouldn't you? Thanks.

It truly depends on the league.

in my start 2 QB league, a backup is very much necessary.

in my standard league with 1 QB, I have a backup, but usually dont carry one. In my case, my backup is a player who had a soft early schedule, and I felt it wouldnt hurt to hang onto him to play matchups and to keep others from starting him against me.

but once the easy part of his schedule is done, I"m dumping him or trading him (if I can)

normally I dont keep a backup in that league as there is usually someone pretty decent that can be had on the waiver wire. I only grab another qb late in the season (before the playoffs) because some will try to hoarde them around that time.

To be more specific, I own Peyton and Eli. Is Peyton enough all year?

To be more specific, I own Peyton and Eli. Is Peyton enough all year?

It is doubtful you will ever start Eli over Peyton. So, Eli will just be taking up space on your bench. If something happens to Peyton, you can probably find an Eli grade QB on the WW or get one with a minimal trade.

I often carry only one QB. Its risky, but early in the season I like to carry an extra RB or other prospect. Will try to grab a second QB before the bye week. Usually, by then, my roster has shaken out some.

It is doubtful you will ever start Eli over Peyton. So, Eli will just be taking up space on your bench. If something happens to Peyton, you can probably find an Eli grade QB on the WW or get one with a minimal trade.

Interesting take. I guess you believe there are plenty of Eli's out there and that they are a dime a dozen. You might be right. Hmmmm. I don't mind stashing another hot prospect who might burst onto the scene in the second half when I may need those big wins. I see you have Rogers who rarely breaks down and certainly is never benched. If I had Rogers instead of old Peyton I might feel more comfortable about owning one, but if you are right, why allow for Eli to take up space?

I have some more thinking to do. Thanks.

If I have a deep league. If its a guy who has big upside. If I have a QB I'm not confident in staying healthy. If I'm going to stream the position. All that to say it's rare for me.

Interesting take. I guess you believe there are plenty of Eli's out there and that they are a dime a dozen. You might be right. Hmmmm. I don't mind stashing another hot prospect who might burst onto the scene in the second half when I may need those big wins. I see you have Rogers who rarely breaks down and certainly is never benched. If I had Rogers instead of old Peyton I might feel more comfortable about owning one, but if you are right, why allow for Eli to take up space?

In hindsight, my post above that I usually keep a 2nd QB is related to the fact that I rarely go QB early. I have on occasion drafted Rodgers and spend the season with just him other than a bye week filler pickup.

Eli and Peyton may be crossing a thin grey line in this scenario, but if you drafted Peyton, it was probably early enough that you thought he would be a viable starter all year. I'm not sure why you draft him otherwise.

I would rather get two of Eli/Bradford/Tannehill typr pairing later and get a higher grade skill guy over Peyton.

Usually, and I generally get one early.

There's 16 or so QBs with a realistic chance to end the season top 10. If my starter disappoints or gets hurt, I don't want to be stuck with a backup with little to no upside.

My league gives monster points to QB's (1/2 pt per completion, bonus yd pts, etc.). The elite QBs outscore the bums by A LOT so I try to draft a good back-up.

Double-edged sword. Insures my QB position and the extra QB might blow up and create trades, but costs me a 9th+- round pick (RB lotto ticket) and wastes a roster spot. Hell, QB's rarely seem to get hurt anymore with all the rules so, it's probably more of a waste nowadays than years past. But I still like that safety net in my league's scoring.

I try to grab a backup if there is one I think I can trade later on when others get desperate. Got Bradford backing up Luck in one league, someone will want Bradford eventually. Until then, worth it for insurance.

I never draft thinking "I can just trade him".

Because trading for equal value is tough n competive leagues. It's a bad philosophy that rarely pans out.

I never draft thinking "I can just trade him".

Because trading for equal value is tough n competive leagues. It's a bad philosophy that rarely pans out.

I never draft just to trade, but it's a consideration when I'm deciding between a backup QB and a fifth string wideout in later rounds. I want a backup QB, ideally, if there's one good enough. But I'm not going to take, say, McCown, just to have a backup. I will take Bradford, because I won't be able to get equal talent off waivers if I need it, and I can trade him for something I might need later if I don't need him.

Don't draft qbs early so I do draft a back up and than look for match ups . I agree with the post about , if you draft a stud qb early than I don't think you should carry an extra qb .

In a league where I only need to start one RB.... Went 0 RB theory and have crap RBs in a 17 man roster other than hope for Arian Foster... Maybe Blount. Obviously my outdated tag means I am a Rams fan. Thinking about picking up Cunningham in a .05 ppr and starting over Alfred Blue for the fun homer factor. Not as scared of Seattle's run D as others are. TDs are harder to come by but I think Bennie is a safe bet for 60 yards and a couple receptions with some upside past that.

More worried about who to drop... Probably would be Matt Jones or David Johnson who both passed the eye test for me. My other RB is Reggie Bush. All certainly have higher ceilings than Bennie but for some reason I just like him.

I won't do it.... But I want to

I would carry a second QB if I dont get one of the sure thing types and it is a 6pt passing TD league. After you decide which is the better play for the season drop the other one.

Don't draft qbs early so I do draft a back up and than look for match ups . I agree with the post about , if you draft a stud qb early than I don't think you should carry an extra qb .

Ok paws, you have the final say on this matter for me....I really trust your football acumen. Ready? Is Peyton good enough to keep alone? If you say yes, I'm dropping Eli to pick up Matt Jones. My RBs look shaky and I believe he will explode onto the scene in second half.

10 team league. Guys like Bortles, Flacco, Taylor, Palmer, Mariotta, cutler on waivers as we speak.

Thanks.

Ok paws, you have the final say on this matter for me....I really trust your football acumen. Ready? Is Peyton good enough to keep alone? If you say yes, I'm dropping Eli to pick up Matt Jones. My RBs look shaky and I believe he will explode onto the scene in second half.

10 team league. Guys like Bortles, Flacco, Taylor, Palmer, Mariotta, cutler on waivers as we speak.

Thanks.

Thanks.

I'm not Paws, but I'd drop Eli. Peyton should be fine. Good chance he won't be a top five, but I don't ever count him out either. I also can't think of when I'd bench him for Eli.

• Like 1

I'm not Paws, but I'd drop Eli. Peyton should be fine. Good chance he won't be a top five, but I don't ever count him out either. I also can't think of when I'd bench him for Eli.

Thanks. Maybe I shouldn't worry about his age and his collapse at the end last year.

I think Peyton is going to be fantastic this year, within the top 3. Coach, system, blah blah blah.

I like Palmer & Eli the same. Also I think Matt Jones is a nice stash but the expectation should be limited. I don't like the situation in Washington as it looks to be a bottom team in my opinion.

I think Peyton is going to be fantastic this year, within the top 3. Coach, system, blah blah blah.

I like Palmer & Eli the same. Also I think Matt Jones is a nice stash but the expectation should be limited. I don't like the situation in Washington as it looks to be a bottom team in my opinion.

As you can see in my signature, my runners are not studs, and Jstew is known to get injured. Having only McFadden and the Falcons rookie backing up is a bit uneasy to me. I'm listening to all the talk about Jones coming out of Skins camp, and I'm thinking when the Skins are dismal at the bye week they will make the change. Morris will not be resigned for next year so they will look to see what they have in Jones. He could win me my third title in a row just like Odell did for me last year. Plus, Jones will be snatched up immediately once he scores his first td which could be in week 1. In the meantime, Eli is carrying a clipboard patting Peyton on the arse each week. Lol

In deep leagues I try to get 2 top 12-14 QBs to screw my competition. In smaller leages I will rol with one.

Thanks. Maybe I shouldn't worry about his age and his collapse at the end last year.

5,1,4,2,0,1,2. That's TDs per game for Manning last year from weeks 10-16. His 'collapse' still made him someone I'd start over Eli.

5,1,4,2,0,1,2. That's TDs per game for Manning last year from weeks 10-16. His 'collapse' still made him someone I'd start over Eli.

You have to admit, his last 4 weeks were horrible. I'm pretty sure his point total was under 20 the last 4 weeks and he did throw a bunch of pics as well. Eli got stronger as the season wore on and it looks like he may have Cruuuuuuuuuuz back soon as well, not to mention Vereen to drop the ball off to.

I'm now concerned. I will watch closely for two weeks and drop one of the Manning brothers if I feel there is someone I need to stash for later on. In the meantime, I may drop Dorsett for Matt Jones. I need RB help more.

You have to admit, his last 4 weeks were horrible. I'm pretty sure his point total was under 20 the last 4 weeks and he did throw a bunch of pics as well. Eli got stronger as the season wore on and it looks like he may have Cruuuuuuuuuuz back soon as well, not to mention Vereen to drop the ball off to.

I'm now concerned. I will watch closely for two weeks and drop one of the Manning brothers if I feel there is someone I need to stash for later on. In the meantime, I may drop Dorsett for Matt Jones. I need RB help more.

Horrible for Manning, yeah. Only mediocre for all QBs. There were plenty of guys forced into starting worse players with worse results, IIRC. I just don't trust Eli to be reliably good. Looking back, sure, Eli was better. But even after Peyton's three bad weeks last year, I still would have started him for the fourth.

I'll grant you, if he starts with three bad weeks this year, different story.

As you can see in my signature, my runners are not studs, and Jstew is known to get injured. Having only McFadden and the Falcons rookie backing up is a bit uneasy to me. I'm listening to all the talk about Jones coming out of Skins camp, and I'm thinking when the Skins are dismal at the bye week they will make the change. Morris will not be resigned for next year so they will look to see what they have in Jones. He could win me my third title in a row just like Odell did for me last year. Plus, Jones will be snatched up immediately once he scores his first td which could be in week 1. In the meantime, Eli is carrying a clipboard patting Peyton on the arse each week. Lol

Because you are shallow at RBs, it is even more of a reason to drop Eli and use that spot on a RB that could help you down the road. Pick up a handcuff like Starks or Josh Robinson in case Lacy or Gore go down. Or, take a flyer on a Matt Jones type player. Someone that isn't always being drafted, but has the potential to take over the starting job.

Eli isn't of any value to you except on Peyton's bye week or if Peyton gets hurt. And if that happens, your team still gets worse. It is better to use that spot on a flyer or as a spot to rotate other bye week filers. That will help your team get better through the year.

in a 10 team standard league - No .. plenty available on waivers if the need arises

In a 10 team 2 QB league - Yes absolutely. If someone under performs or gets hurt you need to have a viable back up on the team

in a 14 team league - i'd say yes.. if a starter goes down or ineffective.. its ice to have a decent back up in place since waivers are pretty bare in a 14 teamer

I usually grab backups for all my positions. Some people don't but I like to have that safety blanket of a backup in case my starter gets hurt. Also, it depends on your league size and whether you start 2 QBs or not. If you're in an 8 team league no I wouldn't grab one since you will have good backups on the waiver wire. In a 10 teamer it's about personal preference. In a 12 or higher league I would suggest grabbing one.

I usually grab backups for all my positions. Some people don't but I like to have that safety blanket of a backup in case my starter gets hurt. Also, it depends on your league size and whether you start 2 QBs or not. If you're in an 8 team league no I wouldn't grab one since you will have good backups on the waiver wire. In a 10 teamer it's about personal preference. In a 12 or higher league I would suggest grabbing one.

Good post I agree .

Don't you think it depends on who you have, and what position you're looking at? Id rather have a prospect guy like Matt Jones (although maybe he's more than prospect now...Tyler Lockett then) taking up a space than grabbing Nick Foles or his equivalent to backup Luck. I can get Foles like production much more easily if Luck goes down, compared to missing out on hitting on Lockett type guys.

Plus, if you have too good of a backup compared to your starter, it can lead you to overthrowing your roster each week. Honestly, that's a consideration.

Brady is my back up and I actually played him. I drafted Romo in the 8th and Brady the very next pick. They were the 9th and 10th QBs to go in a 10 team league. In this case, I thought Brady was a good value and prevented the last owner without a QB (and prime competition) to go deeper into the depth chart. Last year I drafted Rodgers early and ended dropping my back up (Roethlisberger) after bye weeks were done. Naturally he passed for 6 TDs the week I dropped him. He got picked up the very next week, but there was no way I was ever going to play him ahead of Rodgers.

Long story short, depends on who you have and when your bye week for starting QB is.