Sign in to follow this  
Djgb13

Why do cities hate Uber?

Months ago San Antonio city council voted on something (I'll admit I didn't look into it too much) to essentially make Uber cease their operations here. Austin city council will be doing the same this Friday. My question is why would a city do that? The drivers go through background checks and every time they drive someone they get rated. The uber drivers I've used when my wife and I would go out with friends to have drinks were always nice. It's extremely affordable too. Taxis on the other hand are expensive and the drivers are ass holes who try their best to charge you more. I swore off taxis when the driver took us around the wrong way to downtown and tried to charge us an extra $40 on top of an already $40+ tab that is usually the cost to go downtown. So I can't understand why a city would want a business who is good to cease their operations there

Uber and Lyft are a godsend. Cheap and they are there within 4min. Plus no fumbling around for cash or cards, its paid through the app. Best evolution of transportation in our lifetimes.

It seems like uber management are asshôles. They seem to always piss everyone off.

It seems like uber management are asshôles. They seem to always piss everyone off.

You're uber ghey

Progressives fearing progress.

Uber and Lyft are a godsend. Cheap and they are there within 4min. Plus no fumbling around for cash or cards, its paid through the app. Best evolution of transportation in our lifetimes.

Agree. Taxis got away with being d1cks and being able to charge high prices for decades. Now that they have competition that's cheaper, friendlier, and faster they complain and the city gets upset as well

The taxi drivers are a lobby that buys influence just like any other group. They're afraid of uber because they're going to get out put of business, and so they try to get them barred. Just like coal companies are against renewable energy.

• Like 1

The taxi drivers are a lobby that buys influence just like any other group. They're afraid of uber because they're going to get out put of business, and so they try to get them barred. Just like coal companies are against renewable energy.

Except in your example, the old-school standard is the cheaper option versus the newer one.

Except in your example, the old-school standard is the cheaper option versus the newer one.

Not in my experience; Uber is cheaper than cabs around here :dunno:

Why do cities hate Uber?

corruption

What I like about uber is the fact that the drivers are actually nice. If both of the companies had the same rates I wouldn't care. But it's the fact that the drivers actually are nice and don't try their best to make the rate go up like taxi drivers do. Taxi driver will go slow as hell to make sure the rate keeps going up. A 15 drive turns into a 25-30 minute drive so they can get more money. With Uber they have a gps that tells them where to go for the shortest route. Drivers and passengers are rated so it helps keep a good balance.

Not in my experience; Uber is cheaper than cabs around here :dunno:

:doh: Coal is much cheaper than renewables.

:doh: Coal is much cheaper than renewables.

Of course it is. Because the coal industry keeps renewable from happening.

My new job doesn't have a company car. Work from home and requires travel. I still haven't haven't bought a car. It's cheaper to just uber it wherever I need to go. If I have somewhere I need to go, I just use rental car points.

Of course it is. Because the coal industry keeps renewable from happening.

:lol:

:lol:

Oops, someone doesn't understand lobbying ... I found this in about 15 seconds on google:

Meanwhile, underscoring the extent to which fossil-fuel industry allies will pressure Republicans seen as squishy on key issues, the group Americans for Prosperity began an advertising campaign in two dozen House districts after the November elections, pressing GOP lawmakers to oppose tax breaks for wind-energy firms.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/fossil-fuel-lobbyists-bolstered-by-gop-wins-work-to-curb-environmental-rules/2014/12/07/3ef05bc0-79b9-11e4-9a27-6fdbc612bff8_story.html

I even skipped a couple Center for American Progress links so you wouldn't lose your mind re. Librulz. But let's stay on topic. This thread is about uber

Oops, someone doesn't understand lobbying ... I found this in about 15 seconds on google:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/fossil-fuel-lobbyists-bolstered-by-gop-wins-work-to-curb-environmental-rules/2014/12/07/3ef05bc0-79b9-11e4-9a27-6fdbc612bff8_story.html

I even skipped a couple Center for American Progress links so you wouldn't lose your mind re. Librulz. But let's stay on topic. This thread is about uber

Someone doesn't understand reality. How many new wind and solar farms have come on line in the last 10 years? How many new coal fired plants have come on line in the last 10 years?

Your statement is false, Coal has not stopped renewables from happening.

But back to uber.

My buddy drubkenly left his phone in an uber after the Texans game. The guy got in touch with him over his email and is sending the phone to San Antonio.

You know a cabbie wouldn't do that.

What I like about uber is the fact that the drivers are actually nice. If both of the companies had the same rates I wouldn't care. But it's the fact that the drivers actually are nice and don't try their best to make the rate go up like taxi drivers do. Taxi driver will go slow as hell to make sure the rate keeps going up. A 15 drive turns into a 25-30 minute drive so they can get more money. With Uber they have a gps that tells them where to go for the shortest route. Drivers and passengers are rated so it helps keep a good balance.

In what world does are a taxi's rates determined by how fast they drive? Unless things have changed drastically since I moved out of the big city, taxi rates are based on distance driven plus waiting time in traffic. Some also have flat rates to and from airports.

In what world does are a taxi's rates determined by how fast they drive? Unless things have changed drastically since I moved out of the big city, taxi rates are based on distance driven plus waiting time in traffic. Some also have flat rates to and from airports.

You must don't take taxis often. The longer you're in their cab the higher your bill will be.

Uber is one of my favorite creations and it is a great example of how a Free Market can benefit us all. I used it whenever I am traveling and need a ride (assuming they are available where I am at).

As usual, when the governments get involved, they screw it up and are not acting in the best interest of the consumers.

There is a similar company out called Airbnb that is like Uber for a room. People rent out their rooms for the night, weekend, week, etc. with it being cheaper than a hotel. They usually have nice places to stay at as well

If they are half intelligent, they (taxis) would overhaul their business model to compete. It's like the folks at Polaroid bitching about the digital cameras as they quickly go out of business.

You must don't take taxis often. The longer you're in their cab the higher your bill will be.

Yeah, I must don't. Geesh.

This is how they do it in NYC: Just like I said. Mileage plus waiting time in traffic. Driving 35 MPH vs. 45 mph makes absolutely no difference in the fare.

Taxi rates around the country are set by local regulators. Uber is not subject to such regulations. It's a huge competitive advantage for them.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/passenger/taxicab_rate.shtml

Metered Fare Information

• Onscreen rate is ‘Rate #01 – Standard City Rate.’
  • The initial charge is $2.50.
  • Plus 50 cents per 1/5 mile or 50 cents per 60 seconds in slow traffic or when the vehicle is stopped.
  • In moving traffic on Manhattan streets, the meter should “click” approximately every four downtown blocks, or one block going cross-town (East-West).
  • There is a 50-cent MTA State Surcharge for all trips that end in New York City or Nassau, Suffolk, Westchester, Rockland, Dutchess, Orange or Putnam Counties.
  • There is a 30-cent Improvement Surcharge.
  • There is a daily 50-cent surcharge from 8pm to 6am.
  • There is a $1 surcharge from 4pm to 8pm on weekdays, excluding holidays.
  • Passengers must pay all bridge and tunnel tolls.
  • Your receipt will show your total fare including tolls. Please take your receipt.
  • The driver is not required to accept bills over $20.
  • Please tip your driver for safety and good service.
  • There are no charges for extra passengers or bags.

And in San Antonio, where you live, it's done like this: Pretty much, exactly the same as NYC.

http://www.sanantonio.gov/SAT/GroundTransportation/Taxi.aspx

Initial drop $2.50 Each additional mile $2.45 Per minute waiting time $0.40 Airport Departure Fee $1.00 Minimum Airport Departure Charge $10.50 Downtown minimum charge $5.00 Late hour fee from 9 PM - 5 AM $1.00

What I'm trying to say (and I don't think you understood that at the time) was that the longer you're in their cab the more your fare will be. So they slower they drive the more money you're going to end up paying. They will catch red lights and stop signs more. I don't think here in SA there is a "click" when driving four blocks. But I've seen the meter go up more than the standard rate when driving because it added the standard mileage rate plus the time it's taking to get there

What I always like about uber too, especially if you're leaving early in the morning for an airport trip, they're quick to accept your ride. Usually have a coffee or water and offer you a charger for your phone. Just a better experience. And for about $20 cheaper than a taxi

What I'm trying to say (and I don't think you understood that at the time) was that the longer you're in their cab the more your fare will be. So they slower they drive the more money you're going to end up paying. They will catch red lights and stop signs more. I don't think here in SA there is a "click" when driving four blocks. But I've seen the meter go up more than the standard rate when driving because it added the standard mileage rate plus the time it's taking to get there

You need to read the link above on how rates are calculated in San Antonio. There is no provision for additional time unless they're waiting.

You need to read the link above on how rates are calculated in San Antonio. There is no provision for additional time unless they're waiting.

You might be right. I haven't taken a taxi in years but the last time I was riding the fare counter was going up when we stopped at a light and was going up higher than the standard mile rate that was posted when we were driving. So I don't know what was going on with it. But it is true they will try to hit every light and take you the long way around.

The only thing I can say negative about Uber is there is some vagueness on the tipping. Uber says you don't need to, but if you read up on the internet it sounds like there is an expectation from drivers that they should.

I would recommend that they raise the rates 10% on all trips (all going to the driver) and make it crystal clear that you DO NOT tip ever.

You might be right. I haven't taken a taxi in years but the last time I was riding the fare counter was going up when we stopped at a light and was going up higher than the standard mile rate that was posted when we were driving. So I don't know what was going on with it. But it is true they will try to hit every light and take you the long way around.

You have a fundamental misunderstanding of the taxi biz. Taxi drivers are notoriously fast and reckless in many cities because they want to get you outta the cab, collect their tip and get onto the next fare as quickly as possible. They're not making much by sitting in traffic with you.

You have a fundamental misunderstanding of the taxi biz. Taxi drivers are notoriously fast and reckless in many cities because they want to get you outta the cab, collect their tip and get onto the next fare as quickly as possible. They're not making much by sitting in traffic with you.

Or you could be comparing it to New York. San Antonio taxi drivers are different. Just accept the fact that I said you're probably right on the fares and stop trying to argue more

Pretty much summer up here, by Uber: https://drive.uber.com/oh/faqs/does-uber-withhold-taxes/

And for more details ... http://fortune.com/2015/10/22/uber-tax-shell/

and http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/ron-sherman-yellow-cabs-uber-tale-tax-tape-article-1.2338390

For those not interested in watching, cities are worried about the tax revenue lost when businesses shift from a defined, organized entity to a less identifiable network of independent entities doing business. It's the same reason business licenses are required for ongoing commerce versus one-off yard sales ... hotels versus Air bnb ... taxis versus uber. Online commerce is a another ball of wax, potentially degrading local sales tax income. But these are new directions, and inevitable. Tax codes need to be revised somehow.

The regulators go out of business too alongside the taxi companies.

Wait... your example of why coal is cheaper is that they lobby against renewables getting tax breaks to try to artificially make them cheaper? :unsure:

Without reading one word of this thread, I'm guessing the answer to the OP's every question on earth is money.

• Like 1