Sign in to follow this  
TennisMenace

Advice appreciated: Ethics question

My opponent in our upcoming Championship game does not have a viable back up WR (Edelman doubtful). He also owns Megatron who is questionable. He may have to pull a WR receiver from the waiver wire if Megatron can't play.

Is it "immoral" to pick up a WR or two to block him from getting some pretty decent guys? Just curious what you guys think. I probably won't do it because I believe in "doing onto others as you would have them do onto you," but my wife reminds me this is not applicable in games, like Survivor or even Fantasy Football.

Who is right? My conscience or my beloved wife?

My opponent in our upcoming Championship game does not have a viable back up WR (Edelman doubtful). He also owns Megatron who is questionable. He may have to pull a WR receiver from the waiver wire if Megatron can't play.

Is it "immoral" to pick up a WR or two to block him from getting some pretty decent guys? Just curious what you guys think. I probably won't do it because I believe in "doing onto others as you would have them do onto you," but my wife reminds me this is not applicable in games, like Survivor or even Fantasy Football.

Who is right? My conscience or my beloved wife?

I did this in a league where I'm facing the OBJ owner. My entire bench consists of wide receivers for the championship matchup. Go for it

• Like 1

Not immoral in the least. In fact you should do it. If it isn't cheating then it's just good competitive tactics

• Like 1

There is nothing immoral nor wrong with this strategic move. I would do it and not look back.... as long as your rules allow this move.

What may be questionable, is picking up a player, dropping him right away, picking up a new player, dropping him immediately, etc.

• Like 1

Nope, that's a perfectly legit move.

However, churning the wire (picking up a player, then dropping him to make him ineligible to be picked up again, repeat) is a no-no.

• Like 1

Legit and he's slept on it

I don't do this but 4 others in my league keep their kicker slot empty until game day and then drop a guy and pick a kicker Sunday am

Agree with a couple of other posters. Sure - drop some dead weight / non-starters, and grab the best WRs available.

But - do NOT "churn." That is obnoxious.

• Like 1

There is a rule that if you pickup a player from the waiver wire, you have to start them that week...

Stops crap like this...

Nope, that's a perfectly legit move.

However, churning the wire (picking up a player, then dropping him to make him ineligible to be picked up again, repeat) is a no-no.

This. He should not be sleeping championship week! Just don't churn. Sign and keep the WRs

• Like 1

You play to win the game .

• Like 1

There is a rule that if you pickup a player from the waiver wire, you have to start them that week...

Stops crap like this...[/quote

That's crap there is such a thing as planning for future weeks

• Like 1

Stops crap like this...

How is it "crap"? I'd like to know

Wow, almost unanimous. Thanks guys. You convinced me. I did it.

Don't worry about me cutting these guys. Tomorrow is the last day, so they are mine to keep......for all of one day.

Wow, almost unanimous. Thanks guys. You convinced me. I did it.

Don't worry about me cutting these guys. Tomorrow is the last day, so they are mine to keep......for all of one day.

Who did you get

Stops crap like this...

stupidest rule I have ever heard of.

So when LeVeon Bell went on IR the owner had to play whatever shmuck he found on the waiver wire instead of his #2 and #3 guys? Makes no sense.

stupidest rule I have ever heard of.

So when LeVeon Bell went on IR the owner had to play whatever shmuck he found on the waiver wire instead of his #2 and #3 guys? Makes no sense.

I call it now. Worst leAgue ever

• Like 1

I just put both guys in my starting lineup while benching Julio and Deandre. Let's hope I don't get distracted tomorrow and forget to change it back.

Stops crap like this...

Wow posty, stop being a pansy! Ever heard of picking up a player to play in a future week to cover a bye or perhaps like the match up? Also, what is stopping the opponent from having enough WR's on his bench to cover the WR issue? That guy probably had plenty of time to pick up another WR on waivers, dude is obviously sleeping during Championship week.

I just put both guys in my starting lineup while benching Julio and Deandre. Let's hope I don't get distracted tomorrow and forget to change it back.

Why?

Why?

I wanted them to feel important. Lol. I'm weird, I know.

Wheaton and Diggs were still available? 8-team league?

10 team. Lafell is still available so if he needs a WR I suppose he will pick up Lafell. I'm not picking him up.

10 team. Lafell is still available so if he needs a WR I suppose he will pick up Lafell. I'm not picking him up.

Wow, both are gone in my 10-teamer...LaFell is Q and may doesn't look like he will play.

Wow, both are gone in my 10-teamer...LaFell is Q and may doesn't look like he will play.

Moncrief, Kearse, and Miamis Parker are available too.

Trying to shorten the story...but I have a buddy who has played FF for along time. He was in championship game and noticed that his opponent had only 1 defense and it had a horrible matchup. It was saturday morning before the championship game had started, so he set his starting roster, dropped his entire bench, and picked up 7 backup defenses. With no positional limits he was allowed to do so and picked the 7 defenses he thought would score the best. Sunday comes and the other guy goes to look for a defense and finds nothing but crap there. My buddy wins the 'ship by 5 points and had FIVE (5) defenses on his bench that score more than 5 pts more than the guy he played scored with his.

Caused a big stir in the league but it served the guy right by waiting so long to even look when he was in the championship game. The next season my buddy renames his team to "The Defenders" in honor of defending his title and his DST c0ckblock move that won him the championship.

All is fair as long as it's within the rules.

• Like 1

Trying to shorten the story...but I have a buddy who has played FF for along time. He was in championship game and noticed that his opponent had only 1 defense and it had a horrible matchup. It was saturday morning before the championship game had started, so he set his starting roster, dropped his entire bench, and picked up 7 backup defenses. With no positional limits he was allowed to do so and picked the 7 defenses he thought would score the best. Sunday comes and the other guy goes to look for a defense and finds nothing but crap there. My buddy wins the 'ship by 5 points and had FIVE (5) defenses on his bench that score more than 5 pts more than the guy he played scored with his.

Caused a big stir in the league but it served the guy right by waiting so long to even look when he was in the championship game. The next season my buddy renames his team to "The Defenders" in honor of defending his title and his DST c0ckblock move that won him the championship.

Amen to this...I bet the loser pays attention the next time he's in the same position.

EDIT: Although I must say, I probably would have just taken the top D, not all of them. LOL

Glad it worked out for your buddy ... but it would have been funny if his team had a late scratch and he had to pick up a total crap WW guy to fill the spot. I like the move but I'd probably keep a bench spot or two for an emergency fill-in.

BTW in my league I'm pretty sure any player held less than a day goes right back to a free agent, reduces the possibility of churning.

Great story. I'm surprised no positional limits.

And yet another reason to freeze all rosters when the playoffs start...

Freeze all other rosters come playoff time. No one should be able to make moves except teams that are alive. Lol@ having to start a guy you pick up. What about picking up insurance for possible injuries or coaching decisions? That's a dumb rule and picking up guys to block is fair game.

Freeze all other rosters come playoff time. No one should be able to make moves except teams that are alive. Lol@ having to start a guy you pick up. What about picking up insurance for possible injuries or coaching decisions? That's a dumb rule and picking up guys to block is fair game.

I swiped Karlos Williams and Christine Michael this week with absolutely NO intention of starting them. My opponent in the championship game (who knows nothing about fantasy football and is the luckiest SOB on the planet to be there) was weak at RB and I wanted to leave NOTHING there for him if I could. I'm rostering 7 RB's right now and started only two, Latavius Murray and Tim Hightower.