Sign in to follow this  
Hardcore troubadour

36 years ago

I wasnt even alive. I heard it was pretty cool, but were there really a lot of Americans watching? It is hockey after all.

I love Olympic hockey and the Stanley cup. Regular season, not so much.

I saw a documentary on that game. The Soviet team was totally pro and played together for years. Naturally, the guys on the U.S. team were straight out of school and had never played together. The U.S. coach did an amazing job of convincing his young players that they had a chance. He even drew unflattering cartoons of the Russian stars and made fun of their looks.

Also, for young folks it is hard to explain the rivalry we had in general with the Soviet Union. There is nothing like it today.

Also, for young folks it is hard to explain the rivalry we had in general with the Soviet Union. There is nothing like it today.

Remember the Soviet weight lifters? They used to crush us, and nobody could figure out how they trained. Turned out that they used kettlebells.

I don't even remember what I was doing. I was 10, could of been anything. But I didn't even actually see it.... Keep in mind, I was in Texas - most of us had never even really heard of hockey yet.. To be honest, none of us really grasped the magnitude or saw the big deal about it. :dunno:

:dunno: If ISIS or The Taliban had an Olympic Ice Hockey team, It'd be kinda' like that... or maybe North Korea.

I remember they did a replay of it when I was about ten. I didn't know the final outcome, I was all excited and got goosebumps even though the game was played years before.

Remember the Soviet weight lifters? They used to crush us, and nobody could figure out how they trained. Turned out that they used kettlebells.

I didn't know that. I work out with kettlebells, but that's where the similarity ends. :D

I saw a documentary on that game. The Soviet team was totally pro and played together for years. Naturally, the guys on the U.S. team were straight out of school and had never played together. The U.S. coach did an amazing job of convincing his young players that they had a chance. He even drew unflattering cartoons of the Russian stars and made fun of their looks.

The movie was very good too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkCOgwJ_dMY

I was there

36 years ago the sanctuary guys were relevant?

I was actually following the game on the radio with updates. I was 15 and played high school hockey in Massachusetts and some of the key players were from Massachusetts. It was a miracle on ice but the team was playing exceptionally well going into the Russian game, They had already soundly beaten the Czech Republic who were usually the silver medalist in those days. So, I wanted to see them play the Russians even before they played.

Then I watched it that night knowing the result. It was funny when they went to the coverage that night and Jim McKay was broadcasting overlooking the Village and the people were going crazy in the streets. He was trying to hide the results and was encouraging people to watch the nights coverage saying that you don't want to miss this one.

I was actually following the game on the radio with updates. I was 15 and played high school hockey in Massachusetts and some of the key players were from Massachusetts. It was a miracle on ice but the team was playing exceptionally well going into the Russian game, They had already soundly beaten the Czech Republic who were usually the silver medalist in those days. So, I wanted to see them play the Russians even before they played.

Then I watched it that night knowing the result. It was funny when they went to the coverage that night and Jim McKay was broadcasting overlooking the Village and the people were going crazy in the streets. He was trying to hide the results and was encouraging people to watch the nights coverage saying that you don't want to miss this one.

I was the same age, but I had no idea while I was watching it on TV that it had already happened. I thought I was watching it live. I didn't find out until 2 weeks later that I had been watching a replay. Of course, this was long before 24 hour news, internet, instant info, etc.

A lot of misconception is that was a Gold Medal game and it wasn't, they had to get back out there and beat Sweden for the Gold.

Saw someone mention the teams coach - that' was Herb Brooks.

Ken Morrow won gold then joined the NY Islanders and won 4 consecutive Stanley Cups.

Not to bad to start a career huh ?

Idk, vegetarians vs fat children is pretty intense these days.

Have to agree. Hockey was a dead sport in Chicago for a while, as you know. The transformation from probably the worst run franchise in any sport to one of the best has been amazing. I still cant get too caught up in regular season. For a few reasons really

Football has spoiled me because every single game matters, so the outcomes each week are extremely important. Baseball, even though there are 162 games has fewer playoff spots so the end of the regular season is almost like a mini playoffs. Basketball and hockey? The regular season doesnt mean much to the good teams. Pretty much as long as they get in is all that matters, which isnt THAT hard.

Playoff hockey is so intense. I am kind of spoiled by all the awesome playoff hockey we have seen here. The pace and quality of play is awesome and a team rarely ever takes a game off in the playoffs. The regular season has its share of games where the Hawks just take it easy.

I didnt grow up a die hard Blackhawks fan so maybe thats why i dont care a lot about the playoffs.

A lot of misconception is that was a Gold Medal game

I have heard this about a million times but never once heard anyone actually say they thought it was for the gold.

I have heard this about a million times but never once heard anyone actually say they thought it was for the gold.

I have a million times.

Boy I have, in fact most I've heard are under this wrong impression.