Sign in to follow this  
Djgb13

The Great BBQ Debate

When BBQing, such as ribs, what do you guys use? Dry rubs or sauces? Wood, charcoal, or gas? Low and slow or hot and fast?

I let my personal chef on my Leer jet make those decisions, whilst our pilot flies us to August National for a quick round on the weekend

I let my personal chef on my Leer jet make those decisions, whilst our pilot flies us to August National for a quick round on the weekend

Funny you should say that I actually got the pictures today from my BIL when I met them for lunch.

Anyways your BBQ preferences good sir?

Dry rub, any range, low and slow.

Salt and cracked pepper, mesquite or oak, low and slow

That's some of your best work there. Kudos

Dry rub, wood and charcoal. Sauce only on the side of you must.

I do mine similar to a rendezvous style (though I go about longer and less temp than they do) Got sick of just low and slow for ribs and they still come out great. Little tug still left and mighty tasty.

Dry or wet

Charcoal or wood

Slow or fast

I cook them many ways, but always in a smoker.

Gas and BBQ should never be uttered in the sentence. hth

Gas and BBQ should never be uttered in the sentence. hth

Some people swear by it. I've heard the argument "you lose the flavoring of the meat when you add in charcoal or wood". Personally, gas is good for a quick steak or anything else I'm just cooking up for dinner during the week

Funny you should say that I actually got the pictures today from my BIL when I met them for lunch.

Anyways your BBQ preferences good sir?

I thought YOU were gonna develop the film as soon as you had time.

Dry or wet

Charcoal or wood

Slow or fast

I cook them many ways, but always in a smoker.

What kind of wood do you use? That's a key factor as well

When BBQing, such as ribs, what do you guys use? Dry rubs or sauces? Wood, charcoal, or gas? Low and slow or hot and fast?

dry rub for about 90% of the cooking. make my own and use store bought

sauce the final 10-15 min. i make my own and use store bought. i do a lot of different things (Asian, Caribbean, molasses based, brown sugar based, rum, guava, pineapple, etc)

i often only sauce half.

i have a gas grill.

i have used hickory, cherry, maple, mesquite.....usually use cherry.

215 for about 4-5 hrs

I thought YOU were gonna develop the film as soon as you had time.

He'll be posting the pics here any day now, making us doubters eat our words :(

Method and prep depends on what I'm smoking... Regardless of the cook though, always use an offset stick burner.

* For briskets, beef ribs, pork ribs and pork shoulders (boston butts) - will smoke with post oak and pecan.

* All my meats I smoke at 275*.

* I inject my pork shoulders and briskets.

* I smoke my briskets fat side down, at about 165* I will wrap and go fat side up.

* My shoulders I cook to temp, then wrap to sit for an hour.

* Dry rub my ribs - make my own, do not sauce.... Will spritz every hour though during the cook.

* Brisket and beef ribs - salt and pepper only.

* Cook to temp, not time.

* Not a fan of sauce, do not sauce my meats... But if had to pick one - prefer the vinegar/mustard based ones.

Method and prep depends on what I'm smoking... Regardless of the cook though, always use an offset stick burner.

* For briskets, beef ribs, pork ribs and pork shoulders (boston butts) - will smoke with post oak and pecan.

* All my meats I smoke at 275*.

* I inject my pork shoulders and briskets.

* I smoke my briskets fat side down, at about 165* I will wrap and go fat side up.

* My shoulders I cook to temp, then wrap to sit for an hour.

* Dry rub my ribs - make my own, do not sauce.... Will spritz every hour though during the cook.

* Brisket and beef ribs - salt and pepper only.

* Cook to temp, not time.

* Not a fan of sauce, do not sauce my meats... But if had to pick one - prefer the vinegar/mustard based ones.

Can't tell you learned to cook in TX, LOL

Do you ever try cooking methods from other regions or is cooking just a means to an end for you? Personally I like to vary my cooks from time to time (personal cooks, not paying gigs) just for the experience of it.

Do you ever try cooking methods from other regions or is cooking just a means to an end for you? Personally I like to vary my cooks from time to time (personal cooks, not paying gigs) just for the experience of it.

Yea his style is straight Texan. Though it is a very good style and one I've learned to love

Ha, no kidding huh? ... From time to time, I will vary my cooks based on the likes of who I'm cooking for... I generally do not like sweets in general, so the KC style sweet/heavy sauce type stuff just isn't appealing to me. But I understand many like it - so I will do cooks based on that.... I wish I had the means to cook a whole hog - would love to try that sometime. But I for sure don't have anything to cook a 200 lb. hog in.

Ha, no kidding huh? ... From time to time, I will vary my cooks based on the likes of who I'm cooking for... I generally do not like sweets in general, so the KC style sweet/heavy sauce type stuff just isn't appealing to me. But I understand many like it - so I will do cooks based on that.... I wish I had the means to cook a whole hog - would love to try that sometime. But I for sure don't have anything to cook a 200 lb. hog in.

My BIL just gave me his big grill that can be used to cook a whole hog since he has no use for it. Haven't gotten around to doing one yet but love cooking a hog. Use a vinegar based bbq sauce after you pull the meat from the hog. Some will use a sweet BBQ. I'm like you though if im using a BBQ sauce I like it smokey or spicy

What kind of stick burner are you using? It doesn't have to be a 200 LB hog to get the whole hog experience. Any decent sized offset should be able to handle a 60-75 LB hog(which is much bigger than you think), you may have to cook it racing style rather than butterflied but it still works. You can also get with a local butcher and get a 1/2 hog and have a good experience with the cooking/serving.

My BIL just gave me his big grill that can be used to cook a whole hog since he has no use for it. Haven't gotten around to doing one yet but love cooking a hog. Use a vinegar based bbq sauce after you pull the meat from the hog. Some will use a sweet BBQ. I'm like you though if im using a BBQ sauce I like it smokey or spicy

I'd be wiling to bet you've never cooked a whole hog in your life

I'd be wiling to bet you've never cooked a whole hog in your life

Nope I haven't. You're right. My dad was the one cooking it growing up. However I now have the grill to do it so I want to cook one. Just need to get my family together one weekend and cook it.

What kind of stick burner are you using?

I've got both a Yoder Wichita and an older Oklahoma Joe. Together they provide plenty of surface area - but not individually, least not for a hog.. Never thought about doing 1/2 a hog - might be a good idea, for sure since it would be my first one too.

I prefer the Texas way, sometimes people get too crazy with their sauces and it would hide the taste of the meat.

I've got both a Yoder Wichita and an older Oklahoma Joe. Together they provide plenty of surface area - but not individually, least not for a hog.. Never thought about doing 1/2 a hog - might be a good idea, for sure since it would be my first one too.

1/2 hog works out well for smaller cooks/groups while still allowing you to learn whole hog cooking do and don't and allows you to serve open cavity which is traditional for whole hog

I prefer the Texas way, sometimes people get too crazy with their sauces and it would hide the taste of the meat.

There are merits to each regional technique

Especially with brisket. Man I swear I miss the brisket from there. Loved going to salt lick. Though I know there are better places

1/2 hog works out well for smaller cooks/groups while still allowing you to learn whole hog cooking do and don't and allows you to serve open cavity which is traditional for whole hog

How heavy do you inject for your hog? It looks like Myron injects the hell out of his - of course, he's got a sweet ass, huge hog water smoker too.

There are merits to each regional technique

There are, which also makes me think that the Heinz commercial with all the different cooking teams and their sauces is one of the dumbest out there.

Maybe these guys helped them develop their sauce, but no real team would tell everyone what was in their sauces and nobody uses a store bought BBQ sauce. It just escapes all reality

There are, which also makes me think that the Heinz commercial with all the different cooking teams and their sauces is one of the dumbest out there.

Maybe these guys helped them develop their sauce, but no real team would tell everyone what was in their sauces and nobody uses a store bought BBQ sauce. It just escapes all reality

I've thought this too when I saw the commercials. Makes no damn sense

Sure they would, and if a large company wanted to pay them good money for their recipe why not?

Most who make their own sauces/rubs/mops are never completely static with them, I know I move all over the place even when I have one a really like, I keep playing with it as customers/judges tastes change from year to year.

And what's wrong with using store bought sauces?? I use several even for commercial cooks, not a thing wrong with some sweet baby rays or a commercial mango/ginger/habanero wing sauce.

How do you like the Yoder?

How do you like the Yoder?

Love it.. You can tell the difference in a heavy steeled smoker and one that's not. I also love the 2ndary rack - most don't have them... Bcoz it's so well built, you can manage and maintain temp so much easier w/out a lot of work. Which as you now, if you're looking - you ain't cooking.

Dry rub, any range, low and slow.

:boner:

Yea his style is straight Texan. Though it is a very good style and one I've learned to love

Vinegar-based sauce is the antithesis of Texas barbecue.

In theory, That might make sense. But I remember reading an article when I was down in Texas About a guy who had won multiple BBQ championships. He openly admitted that his sauce? Was the Kraft store bought sauce. And honestly, that's not so damn bad.

I will openly admit That moving to Texas taught me the difference between True BBQ and grilling.Growing up, every time Dad fired up the Weber, They referred to it as barbecuing Hamburgers or hotdogs or whatever.