Sign in to follow this  
polecatt

Jameis Winston

I believe Jameis Winston has a chance to break out this year. I could see mid level QB1. He is said to be in much better shape and believe he is a very smart player that picks up the NFL game rapidly. He could run the ball more and that gives him a bit of upside if he can add some more rushing points to go with improved passing points as well.

I'm not saying this is a given but there is a fair chance he breaks out this season. At worst I believe he stays a solid QB2.

Thoughts?

Qb 2.

I think Winston sucks. He may put up solid fantasy numbers from time to time, but this year shouldn't be the cakewalk sched last year was.

TB defense isn't very good imo, so Winston is going to throw a lot in Kotters scheme. I see him on a Bortles like 2nd year arc with a chance to finish in the back half of QB1 territory. He's a buy in dynasty and I'd happily take him in the 12th after I grabbed one of Dalton/Stafford/Romo two rounds earlier in redraft.

Take him late as your QB1, he'll pay dividends. I expect him to finish in the top 5 in fantasy QB's this year.

Like him a lot more as a Qb 2 , but anything is possible .

But I don't see him in the top five .

I like Winston as a high-end #2 this year, especially in 2-QB leagues where he will play for you. The defense isn't great, both running backs are good pass-catchers, and they won't be so good on offense that they will be running to chew clock for most of the 2nd half of many games. If he keeps his INT's down, I think he can be right around 4100 yards and 26-28 td's. How much can he give with his legs will determine how high up the QB list he can finish. He didn't have a ton of rushing yards last year, but he scored 6 times.

If he can do the same thing this year but cut his int's and pick up 6-8 more td's, that puts him in #1 QB territory. His completion % and int. total last year suggests that it's more likely the td's go up but the interceptions might also. That keeps him as a #2 for me, along with about 18 other players at that position. His upside puts him near the top of the list though.

I like Winston as a high-end #2 this year, especially in 2-QB leagues where he will play for you. The defense isn't great, both running backs are good pass-catchers, and they won't be so good on offense that they will be running to chew clock for most of the 2nd half of many games. If he keeps his INT's down, I think he can be right around 4100 yards and 26-28 td's. How much can he give with his legs will determine how high up the QB list he can finish. He didn't have a ton of rushing yards last year, but he scored 6 times.

If he can do the same thing this year but cut his int's and pick up 6-8 more td's, that puts him in #1 QB territory. His completion % and int. total last year suggests that it's more likely the td's go up but the interceptions might also. That keeps him as a #2 for me, along with about 18 other players at that position. His upside puts him near the top of the list though.

I'm thinking 4200 yards passing with 32 TD's... along with about 300 rushing yards and 2 TD's.

You guys are being way too hard on Jameis who had a phenomenal rookie year. All upside there and can easily finish top 12.

You guys are being way too hard on Jameis who had a phenomenal rookie year. All upside there and can easily finish top 12.

How was his accuracy last year?

How was his accuracy last year?

Who cares? Did I say he was perfection personified and had zero negatives? I said he had a great rookie year, which he did. He blew away 100% of the expectations we put on him, which were low.

Who cares? Did I say he was perfection personified and had zero negatives? I said he had a great rookie year, which he did. He blew away 100% of the expectations we put on him, which were low.

I care. It was a serious question. I feel like he's not accurate but I really don't know the numbers.

I care. It was a serious question. I feel like he's not accurate but I really don't know the numbers.

Oh, I thought you meant that a dif way, like his less than great accuracy as a rookie invalidated my comments on him. 58.3% comp.

Oh, I thought you meant that a dif way, like his less than great accuracy as a rookie invalidated my comments on him. 58.3% comp.

Yeah, just saying he doesn't pass my eye test but I'm not ruling everything out. I also don't want to overvalue and he's being overvalued in this thread by some I think.

Yeah, just saying he doesn't pass my eye test but I'm not ruling everything out. I also don't want to overvalue and he's being overvalued in this thread by some I think.

He is a low end drafted starter and top end weekly streamer, is my position on him. If you like drafting backup qbs with upside, he is a great pick late. If he doesnt come out hot you can just cut him. Its those late qbs that explode that end up being fantasy mvps for teams that struck gold at wr/rb.

Agree with that , he is a good late Qb pickup .

Now that's interesting scheduling .

Winston makes for an interesting stash for playoff time as he plays against NO in weeks 14 and 16.

That interests me for Doug Martin. Now if I could just get into the playoffs in my big money league...

For the record, his 58.3 is pretty much on par with Bortles being 58.9 in 2014 and his 58.6 last season. Last season, Bortles finished in the top 5.

Winston is a better talent/prospect than Bortles. If Bortles can do it (and I'm not digging on him because I do think he's good), so can Winston. I'll gladly take him as my QB1 in the late rounds and stocking up on RB's and WR's when everyone else is picking their QB1... who will finish worse than Winston by seasons end.

The talent is there. The ability is there. It's just a matter of "will he". I believe he will and I don't think it's a long shot. I think the odds are in his favor. He rated out higher than Andrew Luck coming into the NFL draft and his numbers were in line with Luck's rookie season... they were also in line with Bortles. If they can do it... Winston certainly can.

I would like his wr corps to have a little more depth. Love the HC/OC though.

One thing I liked about Winston last year is he showed real leadership as a rookie. He has a real presence on the field. That doesn't exactly translate to fantasy points though.

For the record, his 58.3 is pretty much on par with Bortles being 58.9 in 2014 and his 58.6 last season. Last season, Bortles finished in the top 5.

Winston is a better talent/prospect than Bortles. If Bortles can do it (and I'm not digging on him because I do think he's good), so can Winston. I'll gladly take him as my QB1 in the late rounds and stocking up on RB's and WR's when everyone else is picking their QB1... who will finish worse than Winston by seasons end.

The talent is there. The ability is there. It's just a matter of "will he". I believe he will and I don't think it's a long shot. I think the odds are in his favor. He rated out higher than Andrew Luck coming into the NFL draft and his numbers were in line with Luck's rookie season... they were also in line with Bortles. If they can do it... Winston certainly can.

Draft and or prospect ratings mean exactly zero. You know who had a high rating. Trent Richardson. I guess he's better than Adrian Peterson?

Also, I think the Jags ranked first in pass attempts in the red zone. Draft rating has no impact on scheme.

So overall, opinions on him seem to be all over the board. Mostly though It seems people think he's a fair play but want to see a little bit more from him before they would completely trust him as a starter. Also people like his upside.

Fair assessment I believe.

Don't trust him to be a Qb 1.

I do like him as a Qb 2 with a lot of upside to maybe be a Qb 1 on a matchup bases .

Draft and or prospect ratings mean exactly zero. You know who had a high rating. Trent Richardson. I guess he's better than Adrian Peterson?

Also, I think the Jags ranked first in pass attempts in the red zone. Draft rating has no impact on scheme.

My only point is, the talent and early production is there, and worth being in the discussion. Trent Richardson never produced. It's not like this is Winston's rookie season.

Yeah, the Jags did... but they threw in the red zone 56 times more in 2015 than 2014. Last year, Winston had 75 (compared to Bortles' 41 - rookie season), and Tampa would only need to add an extra 25 more (not 56), to get that high this year. A more passer friendly offensive system is likely to produce the increase passing opportunists.

I like him a lot. I think he takes a step forward this year. All offseason press has been positive on his preparation for the coming year

Probably a great value, unless someone covets him and goes too early. Top 3 numbers for a #10-15 QB taken is possible.

Well, the line is improving. Second year players Donovan Smith and Ali Marpet should take another step forward.

overall, this is a young line, so My expectations would be for improvment in this area.

this should translate into better run and passing stats as well.

here is a link I found regarding the O line.

http://www.buccaneers.com/longform/article/2016/o-line.html

QB position is so deep. Do you really even need to take a flyer on someone?

in a 2 QB league, this guy would be a significant add.

in a 1 QB league(especially if your league has less than 12 teams), you probably take him late. or in a 12 or 14 team league, he may be your starter or a top end backup if you like to carry 2 QB on your roster.

in 1 QB leagues, his value really depends on the rules of your league, and how many teams you have.

This is why I like 2 QB leagues. You actually need to know about QB's outside of the top 12-15.

• Like 1

QB position is so deep. Do you really even need to take a flyer on someone?

Sometimes those guys become top 5 like Palmer last year and even Cam was a later round guy after his bad 2014. Taking a flier on a qb you just hope for a cinderella season.

I don't know if he will "break out" this year or not. In FFL circles, we probably use that term way to often. I think he's the next Cam Newton, but he won't reach that ceiling this year. Possibly next year.

I don't know if he will "break out" this year or not. In FFL circles, we probably use that term way to often. I think he's the next Cam Newton, but he won't reach that ceiling this year. Possibly next year.

If he has a top 5 season this year... why would that mean that it has to be his ceiling. I think his ceiling is NFL MVP.

If he has a top 5 season this year... why would that mean that it has to be his ceiling. I think his ceiling is NFL MVP.

MVP??!! You are blind amigo. Your homerism is clouding your judegement. He is an immature headcase. How many guys pull the shlt that he did in college and turn out to be level headed leaders? Not many. Plus he doesn't even throw a good ball. Hot garbage at best. He is going to suck so bad this year.

• Like 1

MVP??!! You are blind amigo. Your homerism is clouding your judegement. He is an immature headcase. How many guys pull the shlt that he did in college and turn out to be level headed leaders? Not many. Plus he doesn't even throw a good ball. Hot garbage at best. He is going to suck so bad this year.

Thats way too far. He has been nothing but a consumate pro, not at all immature since joinin g the Buccs. College is over and he deserves a clean slate. His rookie year was really good and he has alot to build on. He has already proved he is better than hot garbage like we all thought he would be.

Thats way too far. He has been nothing but a consumate pro, not at all immature since joinin g the Buccs. College is over and he deserves a clean slate. His rookie year was really good and he has alot to build on. He has already proved he is better than hot garbage like we all thought he would be.

Josh Freeman had a good and efficient year. He's hot garbage. Derek Anderson had a good year. Hot garbage. Nick Foles had a good year and now the NFL thinks he is hot garbage. Winston will be joining them shortly. Hot garbage may not be far enough. Going to enjoy watching this POS get destroyed this year.

Maybe he does continue maturing from his days of rape in college. It's always good to see someone realize it's the unmature thing to do :thumbsup:

Josh Freeman had a good and efficient year. He's hot garbage. Derek Anderson had a good year. Hot garbage. Nick Foles had a good year and now the NFL thinks he is hot garbage. Winston will be joining them shortly. Hot garbage may not be far enough. Going to enjoy watching this POS get destroyed this year.

Until he is garbage, I will be judging him based on what he does in actual games. So for now he is a model pro, a standout rookie qb and a promising up and comer.