Sign in to follow this  
TD Ryan2

NFL TV Ratings Down Sharply

Mike Tirico was saying on the post-game report that this is the first game in 44 years they went without a touchdown?

I never turn the game on early enough to know who is kneeling or not.

That issue isn't even on my radar. If the news wasn't talking about it, I'd never even know it was happening at all.

I dig McDonough...last night's game was unwatchable. I flipped between baseball and some crap on the DVR rather than keep watching that.

Then the NFL finally has a possible marquee game...Pitt and New England...and the rapey QB is hurt. Would have been interesting to see how that game was rated before that.

This Thursday will be fun...the awful Bears vs. the Packers who look completely terrible. I will watching being a Packers fan...but can't see this one getting that much nationally other than Packers fans and degenerate gamblers.

Probably fvcked a cheese wheel while you watched the game.

Do they even show / talk about the BLM protests on the pre-game? Of all the possible factors in the NFL's declining rating I don't see this being a big one.

Over saturation, fantasy fans watching only redzone and the bad product on the field are the big ones.

half of new england couldn't watch the patriots (or anything else) due to some issue. Direct TV ended up showing the pittsburgh feed :D

I had to watch illegally on the web :ninja:

Sunday and Monday night is enough.

Commercials need be be reduced by 1/3.

Reviewing every scoring play is a huge buzzkill and takes too much time.

Totally agreed on your last point. It is also totally unnecessary since the challenge system was working fine. I have never seen a game where a coach legitimately needed more than 2 challenges.

yes!

YES!

well not if you're at the game, you get to cheer twice!

Totally agreed on your last point. It is also totally unnecessary since the challenge system was working fine. I have never seen a game where a coach legitimately needed more than 2 challenges.

it has happened, but so few times your point is correct. I remember once, I think it was the retard in green bay

yes!

YES!

well not if you're at the game, you get to cheer twice!

I haven't actually experienced the cheering twice thing.

I always thought watching refs make the close calls were some of the most exciting moments in sports. Did he get both feet down? Did he cross the plane?

The refs making those calls in real time were fun as hell.

Of course I hated when they got it wrong, but all these reviews are too much.

And, the rules about what constitutes a catch are ridiculous too. I liked it better when it was just a judgement call.

it has happened, but so few times your point is correct. I remember once, I think it was the retard in green bay

I can't recall a single instance, but we all get another commercial for every TD and turnover now to fix a problem that barely existed. :thumbsdown:

Yeah. Coach challenges were a good compromise.

If he was going to stay they wouldn't have signed another kicker. Remember this a business and you have to do it right or be subjected to wrongful termination. He can claim the NFL already suspended him, so this is double jeopardy. I'm sure they are just formulating the reason, based on acquiring new information. This all stems from the Ray Rice case. Do you want this POS still getting his money? I don't.

Based on acquiring new information?

Mara himself SAID Brown admitted to then beating his wife.

The NFL security had to move her to a different hotel room during this past Pro Bowl.

Divorce filings were public record. They had damn near all the information they needed and they turned a blind eye.

Oh, and Brown is getting paid leave while on the commissioner list.

A team can cut a player at any point for any reason. The Giants have all the control in this situation. There is no guaranteed contract in the NFL. Tom Brady could be cut tomorrow and he couldn't do a damn thing about it towards the Patriots.

I can't recall a single instance, but we all get another commercial for every TD and turnover now to fix a problem that barely existed. :thumbsdown:

Remember Jim Schwartz on Thanksgiving? :lol: Threw his flag on a TD by the other team when Forsett was clearly down by contact. Challenge was automatic so they ended up not reviewing the play at all and they lost in OT :lol:

Based on acquiring new information?

Mara himself SAID Brown admitted to then beating his wife.

The NFL security had to move her to a different hotel room during this past Pro Bowl.

Divorce filings were public record. They had damn near all the information they needed and they turned a blind eye.

Oh, and Brown is getting paid leave while on the commissioner list.

A team can cut a player at any point for any reason. The Giants have all the control in this situation. There is no guaranteed contract in the NFL. Tom Brady could be cut tomorrow and he couldn't do a damn thing about it towards the Patriots.

Ok, but he's never playing for them again. It appears it's just CYA at this point. If not, I'll join you in a boycott if he plays. Gladly

Mara ruined his legacy and for what? a 37 year old kicker? :lol:

what a maroon.

Mara ruined his legacy and for what? a 37 year old kicker? :lol:

what a maroon.

Don't get it. Never cared for Mara. Blue blood snob. Wanted to run Coughlin off as soon as his father died. Caters to the swells in the luxury boxes. People have no idea the influence they hold.

Don't get it. Never cared for Mara. Blue blood snob. Wanted to run Coughlin off as soon as his father died. Caters to the swells in the luxury boxes. People have no idea the influence they hold.

That radio interview was proof of how absolutely clueless these owners are. :doh:

Getting back to it;

Ya know, I think Troub was right - that there's a plethora of reasons/issues behind the drop off in viewership.

So, I'll add another:

I don't think we've ever seen as much of a generational gap in FB as we're seeing now. On multiple levels:

1) The technology: 40 YO men aren't generally first adopters. Also, I don't really WANT to watch a game (failing eyesight and all) on a 4 inch screen.

2) The mindset. Welcome to the ADD generation. For a lot of us, FB is destination TV. It's event TV. We/wives cook and prepare, we have friends over (or go to sports bars) and make the better part of a day of it.

How many of these little retards think to do that? Ironically, they'll sit for eight hours straight playing COD or binge watching the latest Netflix/Hulu sensation, but not so much the football.

3) The 'Look at meeee', 'I gots to be mee', generation. One of the big downsides to phone tech and social media is we've created an entire generation of narcissistic little twats. If you have more pictures of yourself than anything or everything else combined? You're one of them.

OBJ is a perfect example. Is he the first guy to dance to dance or (ugh) 'act a foo?' No. But it's not just that - it's the whole focking attitude. The idea that every player wants to be a 'brand'. When I was raised, there could be possibly nothing worse than to be called a 'showboat' by my Dad. It's just an entirely different mindset.

4) The marketing. And this is where I lump ESPN et al in with the NFL. Tune into a sports show these days and you are just as, if not more likely to see a thugged out rapper than an athlete. The NFL can't successfully market to 2 completely polar opposites. On the one thand, they're trying to reach out to the phags who wear their flat brim hats (with stickers of course) and sell jerseys.

On the other hand, the league was built by and continues to get it's big dollars from middle aged white guys. I don't want to hear effing rap as the lead in to a game or sports show. I don't want to see the grills, the dreds, the bullshiit. And I'll te you straight up - it turns me off - and I'm not alone.

For me, it's a matter of numbers. Sure, I guess if the league is primarily interested in selling apparel, they got they niche. But, - and this ain't just sports - the older white guy has been taken for granted of late (strictly marketing - so GTFO with 'white guy problems).. It's kind of like the backlash that occurred when all the advertising and TV shows went toward the smart wife vs. the idiot white guy who couldn't operate a bottle of ketchup. That bit them in the end and they've balanced that chit back out a lot.

Back to numbers; Unincarcerated young black men constitute what? MAYBE 5% ? Represent HOW much purchasing power? Compared to white guys 30-55? Again, just numbers, not race. The league's got to figure out how to sell to one without alienating the other - and they're failing at it right now.

Now, are these the only or even primary reasons ? Likely not. A lot of good reasons have been listed. But it's like Troub said - like Kap and OBJ may represent the proverbial last straw. Just look at the Trump movement - there a LOT of pissed off, disaffected people in this country sick of media catering to the literal minority,

Don't have the answer(s), but at the end of the day, as this thread proves - there's a chitload of issues that are affecting the game - and the business of football. And they don't seem to be getting any better anytime soon.

• Like 1

I have nothing to do until I pick my kid up from pre-school at 3. I should be watching an NFL highlight show on my awesome TV. Nope, NFL network ruined that with Deon and Irvin and the rest of thise idiots shouting and being incoherent. Instead I'm here agreeing with Wiffleball 100%. Nice job NFL

Last night's game is actually a prime example of the conundrum the NFL faces.

I was on Twitter last night and there were people complaining about the game because the offenses weren't scoring points. Many sportswriters wanted the game to be over.

I understand that the kicker issues are their own complaint, but for a lot of the game the defenses were owning the field. Bend but don't break was Seattle's mantra and it succeeded. Those guys were on the field nearly 2/3 of the game and only gave up 6 points. Incredible.

Fantasy sports has turned the game into: More points good. Less points boring.

I enjoyed last night's game. It felt like a playoff game. And if the playoff type game can't get people excited...

Last night's game is actually a prime example of the conundrum the NFL faces.

I was on Twitter last night and there were people complaining about the game because the offenses weren't scoring points. Many sportswriters wanted the game to be over.

I understand that the kicker issues are their own complaint, but for a lot of the game the defenses were owning the field. Bend but don't break was Seattle's mantra and it succeeded. Those guys were on the field nearly 2/3 of the game and only gave up 6 points. Incredible.

Fantasy sports has turned the game into: More points good. Less points boring.

I enjoyed last night's game. It felt like a playoff game. And if the playoff type game can't get people excited...

I can deal with the low scoring. Too many flags though.

I can deal with the low scoring. Too many fags though.

Not that there's anything wrong with that !!!!

Not that there's anything wrong with that !!!!

Fell asleep during the Parriots game. Any good?

Fell asleep during the Parriots game. Any good?

Me too. Needed a nap after Giants game starting at 9 AM.

:cheers:

I have nothing to do until I pick my kid up from pre-school at 3. I should be watching an NFL highlight show on my awesome TV. Nope, NFL network ruined that with Deon and Irvin and the rest of thise idiots shouting and being incoherent. Instead I'm here agreeing with Wiffleball 100%. Nice job NFL

Right back at you. Deon and Irvin makes me violent.

kap rooned the nfl :overhead:

Why are there so many puzzy's on a football site? Oh yeah, it's fantasy football. They were probably looking for some wizards or some shite and stumbled here.

And the Bears on prime time for the 4th time next week. To get slaughtered by the Vikings.

While TV ratings are mostly holding up for Sunday afternoon games, viewers are tuning out the NFL's prime-time games on Sunday, Monday and Thursday nights. The average TV audience for CBS' five-game "Thursday Night Football" dropped 16 percent, 14.7 million from 17.6 million during the same period last year, according to SportsBusiness Daily.

Meanwhile, TV numbers were down 19 percent for NBC's "Sunday Night Football" through Week 7, according to Sports Illustrated. ESPN's "Monday Night Football" has lost nearly one-quarter of its audience from the same period last year, plummeting 24 percent.

— Only weeks after the NFL issued a memo saying there's "no evidence" player protests are hurting ratings, Americans participating in a Seton Hall Sports Surveynamed those same protests as the No. 1 reason for the NFL's falling TV numbers.

Of 841 adults surveyed nationwide, 56 percent cited players not standing for the flag/national anthem as the No. 1 reason for the NFL's falling TV numbers.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/colin-kaepernick-protest-national-anthem-donald-trump-nfl-tv-ratings-boycott-election/i2atprh9r1v21n42nd9cwhdtw

While TV ratings are mostly holding up for Sunday afternoon games, viewers are tuning out the NFL's prime-time games on Sunday, Monday and Thursday nights. The average TV audience for CBS' five-game "Thursday Night Football" dropped 16 percent, 14.7 million from 17.6 million during the same period last year, according to SportsBusiness Daily.

Meanwhile, TV numbers were down 19 percent for NBC's "Sunday Night Football" through Week 7, according to Sports Illustrated. ESPN's "Monday Night Football" has lost nearly one-quarter of its audience from the same period last year, plummeting 24 percent.

— Only weeks after the NFL issued a memo saying there's "no evidence" player protests are hurting ratings, Americans participating in a Seton Hall Sports Surveynamed those same protests as the No. 1 reason for the NFL's falling TV numbers.

Of 841 adults surveyed nationwide, 56 percent cited players not standing for the flag/national anthem as the No. 1 reason for the NFL's falling TV numbers.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/colin-kaepernick-protest-national-anthem-donald-trump-nfl-tv-ratings-boycott-election/i2atprh9r1v21n42nd9cwhdtw

They are going to bury their heads in the sand on this issue.

Read it and weep protest deniers.

OK One Track

People should read the rest of Baker's links where they even say the way it was worded was not necessarily meaning they are boycotting because of that...but the respondents were saying they thought it was the reason ratings are down.

I suspect many of you don't read too good though. (and yes, that was worded that way on purpose)

• Like 1

MNF last night was the lowest ratings since ESPN got the package. There's something happening here.....

• Like 1

MNF last night was the lowest ratings since ESPN got the package. There's something happening here.....

They'll blame Halloween.

But...

I have no children. My wife was the one on candy duty for the neighborhood kids. I watched maybe a total of seven to ten minutes of that snoozefest.

I turned on the Clippers/Suns game and was much more entertained.

The NFL product is just not the same.

They'll blame Halloween.

But...

I have no children. My wife was the one on candy duty for the neighborhood kids. I watched maybe a total of seven to ten minutes of that snoozefest.

I turned on the Clippers/Suns game and was much more entertained.

The NFL product is just not the same.

Not the first time Halloween fell on a Monday. And Definetly not the first snooze fest. And let's not forget that the NFL has been given the gift of daily fantasy, and its still going down.