Sign in to follow this  
ROCKFORD

how many guns do you own?

It was a large survey and has been pretty widely quoted. He misquoted the finding though; 50% of guns are owned by 3% of Americans, not 3% of gunowners.

This is correct. In my defense, this is what shows up on the yahoo search:

Half of Guns Are Owned By 3% News

Here is the article:

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-debrabander-nra-demographic-20161201-story.html

Well if it was on the internet, it must be true.

Considering there is no registration of firearms, I'd call that a pretty wild (and stupid) boast.

So this is the story on the internet where you draw the line. :)

Here is the article:

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-debrabander-nra-demographic-20161201-story.html

:thumbsup:

I've seen that same misquote a number of times in the media.

should change the name of the thread to "how small is your peemus"

You bought a judge?

It was a gift from my grandfather. I have never fired a .410 shell, someday.

I would imagine that is has too much spread to be useful, although that is just an assumption, I have never done any research.

I would imagine that is has too much spread to be useful, although that is just an assumption, I have never done any research.

I would suggest something else for defense in your home, that's for sure.

It's the sort of gun you don't really need. it's probably really good for snakes, etc.

And it is versatile being you can shoot 45 long colts out of it.

I think you'd be surprised by how little the spread is, even at fighting distances.

Bunch of youtube videos out there. I actually really wanted one. Buckshot in it would be pretty devastating.

I used to hunt squirrels with an old .410 shotgun of my grandfather's. Is that the same sorta thing?

Here is the article:

Read the article AND the survey summary (which was never released BTW) states it's ESTIMATED.

1. I'm a "Super-Owner" apparently because I owned (lost them in a boating accident) more than 17 guns.

2. 17 guns? Please. Nice starter kit, sport.

3. I love the horrible anti-gun tilt both of those articles have.

I used to hunt squirrels with an old .410 shotgun of my grandfather's. Is that the same sorta thing?

Yes, but his is a handgun.

Read the article AND the survey summary (which was never released BTW) states it's ESTIMATED.

1. I'm a "Super-Owner" apparently because I owned (lost them in a boating accident) more than 17 guns.

Of course it's ESTIMATED, it's not like they counted every gun in the country. But the estimate is backed up by data, not just pulled from someone's ass.

I don't get what your problem is with this statistic? Basically it says that some owners own a lot of guns, while more owners own just a few guns. Is that somehow controversial or counter-intuitive? It pretty well fits my experience.

Looks like it is time for the best gun video of all time again:

Sorry, no, we are talking about factually accurate statistics and ridiculous comparisons(Cheetah vs Antelope? :lol: ), not the BS ones you used for your video.

I would suggest something else for defense in your home, that's for sure.

I have a view that is very controversial among gun owners, none of my guns are for defense. I keep my guns locked in my house and my ammo locked up in my detached garage.

I have a toddler and I am much more concerned about an accident than an intruder and will take extreme precaution to prevent an accident.

• Like 2

It's the sort of gun you don't really need. it's probably really good for snakes, etc.

And it is versatile being you can shoot 45 long colts out of it.

I think you'd be surprised by how little the spread is, even at fighting distances.

Bunch of youtube videos out there. I actually really wanted one. Buckshot in it would be pretty devastating.

I am working out of Pittsburgh this week and my 84 year old grandpa gave me two of his handguns because he has no need for them anymore. The reason that he gave them to me now is because it is easier to check them on an airplane than to mail them.

I got my great grandfathers WW1 backup gun. In addition to the army issued rifle he also carried his own personal revolver. It is a "Hopkins and Allen Safety Police" manufactured in 1911 and fires .38 caliber Smith and Wesson bullets.

We put 3 rounds through it yesterday and it still fires just fine.

He also gave me a Taurus Judge. It shoots .410 shotgun shells and also fires .45 colts bullets. I am thinking it is going to be good to carry on my boat in case I need to land a sailfish or shark from my boat. Also the ability to fire .410 could be useful for popping a snake.

I do not consider myself a gun person, but somehow I now have 3 handguns, 2 rifles, and 3 shotguns.

http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=432988

Dumb minds think alike :banana:

Of course it's ESTIMATED, it's not like they counted every gun in the country. But the estimate is backed up by data, not just pulled from someone's ass.

I don't get what your problem is with this statistic? Basically it says that some owners own a lot of guns, while more owners own just a few guns. Is that somehow controversial or counter-intuitive? It pretty well fits my experience.

What data is that information derived from?

And no, I don't have a problem with it, I have a problem with the narrative that it's just 20 nutjobs that own 300 million guns, because that's the picture they're trying to paint, and I think that's obvious (and yes, I'm being facetious with the numbers).

For the record, no I don't think that's wrong necessarily, but I have no idea how they'd obtain those facts/figures.

People certainly aren't going to volunteer that info.

I have a view that is very controversial among gun owners, none of my guns are for defense. I keep my guns locked in my house and my ammo locked up in my detached garage.

I have a toddler and I am much more concerned about an accident than an intruder and will take extreme precaution to prevent an accident.

I can respect that. Who is anyone to tell a responsible gun owner how many safeguards to take.

And no, I don't have a problem with it, I have a problem with the narrative that it's just 20 nutjobs that own 300 million guns, because that's the picture they're trying to paint, and I think that's obvious (and yes, I'm being facetious with the numbers).

For the record, no I don't think that's wrong necessarily, but I have no idea how they'd obtain those facts/figures.

Survey data, and people have volunteered that info here. Why would you not? What's the big secret?

should change the name of the thread to "how small is your peemus"

Feeling left out?

I was actually interested in that myself and found that the Harvard/Northeastern study won't be fully published until 2017. Based on my readings, it doesn't sound like people are questioning the methodology of the study, but until it's released who knows....and I find releasing click-bait stats like the ones that were is disingenuous and does a disservice to people on both sides of the argument.

Kinda the same here. My guns are kept in my closet and most ammo in the basement. I do have a box of .20 ga shells in the closet but I don't keep any of my guns loaded. I have a Louisville slugger under the bed I would probably grab first.

That's your choice, and I respect your choice. Even as a gun owner, I may disagree with your decision, but it IS in fact, your decision.

What the anti's don't get is I expect them to stay out of my decisions as well.

Survey data, and people have volunteered that info here. Why would you not? What's the big secret?

Health Survey reminds me of the past few years when Doctors would ask patients "do you have any guns in your home?".

Almost everyone I talked to either lied and said no, or told them to get bent.

Hence I don't trust the reports. The reality is they have NO way of knowing.

And I can guarantee you that if you saw some people's collections you'd sh1t yourself.

I was actually interested in that myself and found that the Harvard/Northeastern study won't be fully published until 2017. Based on my readings, it doesn't sound like people are questioning the methodology of the study, but until it's released who knows....and I find releasing click-bait stats like the ones that were is disingenuous and does a disservice to people on both sides of the argument.

Thank you for being pragmatic.

Sorry, no, we are talking about factually accurate statistics and ridiculous comparisons(Cheetah vs Antelope? :lol: ), not the BS ones you used for your video.

You are to easy man. I posted that knowing you would bite, just didn't think it would be that quick.

You are to easy man. I posted that knowing you would bite, just didn't think it would be that quick.

You realize you are admitting you are troll. And also, I guess at this point you have raised the white flag to the fact(you may have to look up that word, I know) that your video is a bunch of BS.

*I also saw your earlier fishing attempts with the video and passed...so along with not being good at statistics, you aren't even good at trolling. :wave:

Well if it was on the internet, it must be true.

Considering there is no registration of firearms, I'd call that a pretty wild (and stupid) boast.

I've read the same thing, I think it was based on a survey of gun owners.

Poor methodology aside, I bet it's fairly accurate, as people are far more likely to downplay the number of firearms they own than vice versa. After all, Big Brother is planning to take all the guns, so better keep them secret!!!

I think this is the original article: https://gunculture2point0.files.wordpress.com/2016/10/harvard-gun-study-stock-and-flow-2015-nfs.pdf

Good man. No idea why gun owners should care how you store your firearms. :dunno:

I'll admit, it's an interesting analysis. Their methods sound logical.

The report does admit that it's very difficult to get a solid foundation on the number of guns (likely because there's no registry).

I don't actually doubt the accuracy of the report.

Good man. No idea why gun owners should care how you store your firearms. :dunno:

They shouldn't. It's nobody's business but his and his family's.

I'll admit, it's an interesting analysis. Their methods sound logical.

The report does admit that it's very difficult to get a solid foundation on the number of guns (likely because there's no registry).

I don't actually doubt the accuracy of the report.

All sarcasm aside, why do you think study participants would fudge on the number of guns they own? The survey was voluntary, mind you.

I don't own any guns in part because I have teenagers who, gawd forbid, might decide to do something rash. The last one is leaving the house in 1.5 years, and my wife has wanted to learn how to shoot a gun, so we might get one then.

All sarcasm aside, why do you think study participants would fudge on the number of guns they own? The survey was voluntary, mind you.

Talking about how many guns you own is usually like talking about what your salary is with others having drinks after work.

It's just something you keep tight to the vest.

Many gun owners are worried about registration/confiscation because of all the new laws constantly being proposed.

The veracity of those fears, however, is not the point of this conversation.

I obviously cannot speak for any gun owner buy myself. But I know gun owners. I know the casual gun owner, and I know the hunting gun owner. I know the collector, and I know the 'gun nuts' who buy and sell guns all the time.

I'm somewhere in between. I don't visit gun shows all the time. I don't ever sell any of my guns. I even have guns I've never even fired. Not a single round.

I own some for hunting, though I honestly have no time for it. I have some for carrying daily, and some for home protection.

Some are for fun, some are for training and some are for just plain around with.

I mostly own them because I like them. And even I won't admit how many I own to you or anyone else; just because I guess it's not polite to ask.

This would be me if I still owned a gun. I dont hunt anymore. So really I dont see a reason to own one where I live.

If I was Charles Bronson I would.

Talking about how many guns you own is usually like talking about what your salary is with others having drinks after work.

It's just something you keep tight to the vest.

Many gun owners are worried about registration/confiscation because of all the new laws constantly being proposed.

The veracity of those fears, however, is not the point of this conversation.

I obviously cannot speak for any gun owner buy myself. But I know gun owners. I know the casual gun owner, and I know the hunting gun owner. I know the collector, and I know the 'gun nuts' who buy and sell guns all the time.

I'm somewhere in between. I don't visit gun shows all the time. I don't ever sell any of my guns. I even have guns I've never even fired. Not a single round.

I own some for hunting, though I honestly have no time for it. I have some for carrying daily, and some for home protection.

Some are for fun, some are for training and some are for just plain ###### around with.

I mostly own them because I like them. And even I won't admit how many I own to you or anyone else; just because I guess it's not polite to ask.

Fair enough. But if one was worried about a confidential survey, I can't imagine why they'd participate in the first place.

Just the one in my pants