Sign in to follow this  
Super Cubs

commissioner's fee?

I was asked to be a last minute replacement for a league. I knew a few other guys in it and said yes. I got knocked out before the playoffs but was still curious about the pay out. I did the math and the numbers did not add up. I asked abut the missing money and if there was a fee for the yahoo web site. The response was that it was the commissioner's fee for starting and running the league. Now it was only $25 dollars but still it kind of upset me.

I'm guessing it was a free league? If so, that dude is a straight up jackazz. There's not really any "running" a league that's free. All you gotta do is set it up and everything is done for you.

The dude is just cheap and doesn't want to pay his entry fee, but have a chance to win the big pot. Shame on him.

Lame to charge a fee, but not as lame as the champ not giving the commish a rub. That just basic gambling etiquette.

In one of my leagues the commish gets a pretty substantial fee. I think it's bs but it's a league with friends and I don't want to make a stink about it.

In our league, the Commish is the previous year's champion.

No "fee" but a good payday for the champ. He "pays it back" by serving as commish.

I get $100 of my $210 entry fee paid for being commish,however,we use a point scale system to determine play-offs which has to be added each week plus we have cash bonuses for high one week player positions etc. and all that has to be updated maually week to week.The league voted to do this btw,so it was understood going in.

1. Go to his house

2. Ring his doorbell

3. When he opens the door, kick him in the balls

4. When he's bent over, punch him in the nose

5. Yell, no such thing as a commissioners fee

Back in the day before the interwebs, when mishes had to take lineups over the phone and then calculate scores by hand from the Monday papers we paid the mish a fee.

All that ended when things went online. Still paying a mish fee? That's like still paying for live scoring lol.

What do you non mish fee guys feel about the winner paying a rub?

I've commished my local 150$ redraft for 10 years. About half the champs have given me a 50-100$ rub and half haven't. Most that didn't aren't in the league anymore.

My FFT forum leaguemates never give me a rub, but they're cheap and whiney, so I don't take offense.

I've commished my local 150$ redraft for 10 years. About half the champs have given me a 50-100$ rub and half haven't. Most that didn't aren't in the league anymore.

My FFT forum leaguemates never give me a rub, but they're cheap and whiney, so I don't take offense.

If one of my league mates tried to give me a rub I'd beat them. No one touches this d except the wife.

I've commished a league for half a decade and have nothing to show for it except for the year I won it. Not even a 'don't worry about chipping in on the draft day pizza and fixins' that I remember. I couldn't imagine asking for anything to do it tho. You know...it's one of those things.

And I certainly couldn't see 'charging' from the dues.

Can the Commissioner Fee be retroactive? The Owners in my 17 year old keeper league would laugh and resent me for asking for a cut.

Our comissioner gets a free entry fee. We get 1 waiver pick a week for 5 bucks and he finds out who is making a trade and updates teams. Would never go for a rub unless I made over 5k, this isn't Vegas baby and question your intentions. I do think it would be etiquette for the winner to bring something to next draft but usually they just eat the free food the commish and used to be me made. I gave just to keep the fun times and league alive, but after 28 years its getting watered down.

If someone wins, and wants to tip the dealer. That's up to them. Nothing wrong with doing it, or not doing it.

It's totally different than get an actual fee.

Giving a rub or tip to the commish could be viewed as shady. I usually just send a thank you email for allowing me to be part of a great league.

Giving a rub or tip to the commish could be viewed as shady. I usually just send a thank you email for allowing me to be part of a great league.

You mean like hand jobs or something?

I thought this was about money

My league dates back to the phone/newspaper type of Fantasy league. Agreed, it made since then.

Even when it when fax/service. It made since.

Early years of Online, somewhat.

My predecessor only paid half fee. I did this for a couple, but abandoned that. I didn't see it being that thorny an issue.

But now days, the headaches involved are

1. getting the league restarted each year

2. rule changes

3. running the draft while you draft (only in non auction. No way a commish can be auctioner and own at same time.

4. setting up the playoffs (tiebreaker issue every year)

5. determining awards (playoff winner, participants, toilet bowl, high point teams, weekly team, and high point regular season players.

6. a**hole owners (simply tell them fine, you can be commish. This should silence them).

All that stated, doesn't involve that much time.

Provided, your not having too hard a time finding replacements to restart the league.

$25 isn't all that bad, but I don't find it all that necessary.

Neither do I find it so objectionable to go over and ring their door bell.

Last, did you have fun with this league?