Sign in to follow this  
Kopy

Fish tanks

Abandoned goldfish. Tank size = many gallons less than "experts" would claim you need for messy fish like that. I over filtrate and all fish are healthy and have not shown any signs of stress or disease and it's been a year and a half.

I do plan to move them to a larger tank or ... gasp... a fish pond (GF alert) in the future. Little fockers are getting as big as expected

Fish Forum Jihad. Good times!

A fish forum jihad has to be so easy. I visited a few when I decided I wanted my fish to live long lives as opposed to short fish bowl lives.

The amount of elitism on those types of forums is insane.

Just create a bunch of aliases talking proudly about your 5 goldfish in a 10 gallon tank or confidently about saltwater reef aquariums but post a bunch of incorrect Info.... heads will roll

A fish forum jihad has to be so easy. I visited a few when I decided I wanted my fish to live long lives as opposed to short fish bowl lives.

The amount of elitism on those types of forums is insane.

Just create a bunch of aliases talking proudly about your 5 goldfish in a 10 gallon tank or confidently about saltwater reef aquariums but post a bunch of incorrect Info.... heads will roll

Lol..

How about feeding other fish to larger canabals?

I used to be into it really big. I even tried the saltwater thing for a while. My favorites were discus, a s american pacu, and a big school of tiger barbs. I messed with cichlids for a while even aome of the mouth brooders. I really got into shoaling fish that hang out in schools in your tank moreso than individual cool fish. Great fun hobby.

Lol..

How about feeding other fish to larger canabals?

Did that too used to buy piranhas and feed em goldfish. The key to making them huge is weekly waterchanges so they think they are in a bigger tank. They get huge lol.

Largest tank i have had is 55 gal longs. Just had 4 of them at the same time.

Abandoned goldfish. Tank size = many gallons less than "experts" would claim you need for messy fish like that. I over filtrate and all fish are healthy and have not shown any signs of stress or disease and it's been a year and a half.

I do plan to move them to a larger tank or ... gasp... a fish pond (GF alert) in the future. Little fockers are getting as big as expected

Never actually had any goldfish myself. Someone once told me they were just gross dirty fish. Not sure if they were just fing with me or not.

Never actually had any goldfish myself. Someone once told me they were just gross dirty fish. Not sure if they were just fing with me or not.

They are filthy, don't get them. I had 2 goldfish in a 30 gallon tank for years. You have to clean it constantly, and you can't share it with other fish.

And even with that size tank the ones I had never got bigger. :mad:

I bought a Fluval 3 gallon for the office and once I realized what a pain in the ass it was to keep clean I moved it to a bedroom where I wouldn't see it as often. I had a Beta and a few snails. The snails all died and the Beta hasn't moved since last night. I think he's dead too. He lived like 2 years though but what a pain in the ass keeping this thing clean. The snails did keep it pretty clean though so if you get one I would recommend getting a few snails.

Also, don't get a Beta. So boring just looking at one fish doing nothing all day long.

I got a 30 gallon tank.

Pike - a killifish

Beavis and Butthead - cory catfish

Luke and Bo - danios

Cherry - cherry barb

Legion of Boom - 7 tetras (nameless)

The wonder golden killifish, and the cory catish are awesome. Everyone else, eh, just fishies.

Started about 5 years ago. After 2 years, lost power for a week during winter and everything got ick and died. Did a reboot to this.

I love the tropical look in my place. I once had freshwater tanks. Had a 50 gallon with mostly african cichlids, eels, oscars, piranhas... At the same time had a 30 gallon vertical with neon tetras. glass catfish, dwarf frogs, nute, guppy, silver dollars, plecostomus (suckermouth catfish which would eat the algae off the glass- great cleaning helper)..

Setting up the tank right is the toughest part- to get the ph right, de-clorinate the water and all. Measure the nitrates. I can't even remember it all but I remember a lot of monitoring when I first got them set up. Experienced some fish casualties at the start of the learning curve. Once the tank gets "old" then you need to do less water changes as the natural ecosystem has kicked in and works to help keep the tank 'clean'.

They are known to be very messy fish. They produce a lot of waste which leads to lots of amonnia and poor water quality. If you see them constantly up near the surface "gasping for air" it likely means their gills are burning. In witnessed this with the two I rescued when I put them in a temporary bowl before I did my research.

As skids mentioned, you really can't keep other species in with them. Other species either need heated water, would prey on the gold fish or would BE prey. The only two things i have read that you can keep with them are plectos (algae eaters) or mountain minnows. But there are issues with both. Plectos can get over a foot long and while they clean algae, they are very messy themselves and mountain Minnows like to be in schools so you want like 4 or 5 of them. If you had a big enough tank you could do 2 common goldfish and 4 minnows and they should coexist nicely.

Goldish are fun in the sense that they definitely have personalities. One of mine will come up to be "pet". Another is shy but likes to explore every nook of the tank. One likes to initiate the chasing games.

I started with 2. I added another that was black but was a baby and I did jot realize that their colors change as they grow and black turned to silver and now light orange. I also added a calico fantail. The safest "fancy goldfish" to mix with commons.

All 4 are in a 29 gallon tank. Which is what most fish hobby elitists will tell you is appropriate for 1. But I have dual filters that hand over the back of the tank as well as a high powered cannister filter and the ammonia, nitrate and nitrite levels are all good in my tank and I do almost 0 water changes.

Should they have more space? Yea.. and they will eventually but they can be healthy is a smaller than ideal tank. Each of the commons are 4 inches. The fancy is more round than long.

I just bought one. Gonna wait till I get back to put water and fish in it though.

It's only about ten gallons.

Be careful about overcrowding. I can't remember how many fish was ok per sq inch but many people jam their tanks with fish, esp those with smaller tanks. It can become a habit. Go to the fishy store and see a pretty fish, add to it. Then the fights and casualties not to mention it kills your natural eco-system breaks out. Also make sure the fishies you get are compatible, even within the species. I found out not all cichlids can be housed together as initially I assumed they could, and didn't bother asking to make sure.

As with all animals, the more space they have, the happier and healthier they will be..

Also regarding goldfish, common ones are much heartier than most of the other types of fish being mentioned in this thread. And heartier than the fancier style goldish like black moors, telescopes, orandas etc. So they can do fine in less than perfect water. If I lost power for a week I doubt they would develop ick or any other issues.

The biggest annoyance with commons is that they will pull up or eat almost any live plant... Anubias is about the only one they won't eat and it has to be tied down so something or weighted into the gravel

My favorite part of that jihad was how it started.. gobble asked a simple question that it was over..

He even said "guys stop, I still want to know about this fish".. I think he even got banned. That and the coworker hooker were the best threads I can remember.

My favorite part of that jihad was how it started.. gobble asked a simple question that it was over..

He even said "guys stop, I still want to know about this fish".. I think he even got banned. That and the coworker hooker were the best threads I can remember.

I was the one who suggested the jihad. I'm very proud of that.

I was the one who suggested the jihad. I'm very proud of that.

Everyone needs something to be proud of

Be careful about overcrowding. I can't remember how many fish was ok per sq inch but many people jam their tanks with fish, esp those with smaller tanks. It can become a habit. Go to the fishy store and see a pretty fish, add to it. Then the fights and casualties not to mention it kills your natural eco-system breaks out. Also make sure the fishies you get are compatible, even within the species. I found out not all cichlids can be housed together as initially I assumed they could, and didn't bother asking to make sure.

As with all animals, the more space they have, the happier and healthier they will be..

I think its 1" fish for 2 gallons of water.

I think its 1" fish for 2 gallons of water.

That sounds acceptable, though I can't remember. I used to hate seeing aquariums in fish stores packed with fish. They can't move! People who don't read up before buying look at the fish store and think well they should know, and do the same at home. This was my pet peeve with Petco, PetSmart and the like who keep birds in small cages, or worse, in plexiglass! I would love to get a pal for my guinea pig but I can't afford nor have the space to give it the care it needs so my girl lives like a queen. Medical bills on her have at times been as much as a scan on me a couple times!

That sounds acceptable, though I can't remember. I used to hate seeing aquariums in fish stores packed with fish. They can't move! People who don't read up before buying look at the fish store and think well they should know, and do the same at home. This was my pet peeve with Petco, PetSmart and the like who keep birds in small cages, or worse, in plexiglass! I would love to get a pal for my guinea pig but I can't afford nor have the space to give it the care it needs so my girl lives like a queen. Medical bills on her have at times been as much as a scan on me a couple times!

The rule of thumb is probably different for every type of fish. Goldfish enthusiasts will tell you 30 gallons per fish and 20 more per additional fish.

Also you can't go by or worry about the pet stores. As terrible as it looks when you go in there, those fish are not meant to be there long term.

The rule of thumb is probably different for every type of fish. Goldfish enthusiasts will tell you 30 gallons per fish and 20 more per additional fish.

Also you can't go by or worry about the pet stores. As terrible as it looks when you go in there, those fish are not meant to be there long term.

I don't go in pet stores anymore. All supplies are bought online. Breaks my heart, especially when I hear the employees tell people the "proper" care for said pet. What I was told about the care for guinea pigs and the reality is 180 degrees difference.

I've got a 50 gal. tank. Over the years I've had every kind of freshwater fish you can buy. I've settled on the lazy man's fish - black molleys and wild guppies. Both have babies, yet the population never changes much... 40+- fish. How they instinctively know to eat a few babies to keep the population in check is beyond me, but they do. They're small so there's very little waste, but I still change 10% of water every two weeks.

Had the male black molley for a couple years before I bought the female. It was cool watching him court her when I first dumped her in. They still have babies every couple months, but generally ignore each other most of the time nowadays.

It's interesting how smart all those little fish are. When I walk in the room they get excited and swarm the top expecting food - especially in the morning. But if my 6 yo walks in with me, they cower in the corner, probable expecting a kid to bang on the glass.

BTW - I joined that fish forum years ago to figure out why my freshwater puffer fish kept dying. No thanks to this site, I eventually learned young puffers start out in freshwater, but need to transition to salt over time. Damn fish store didn't bother mentioning that. Don't get a puffer.

I miss my tanks. Living in an apt you can't have tanks. :(

I don't go in pet stores anymore. All supplies are bought online. Breaks my heart, especially when I hear the employees tell people the "proper" care for said pet. What I was told about the care for guinea pigs and the reality is 180 degrees difference.

Well to that same point, if I went in and told a pet store worker about my fish they would tell me I need to quickly buy a 120 gallon tank, stand, new filter, gravel vacuum, etc etc. They want my money.

A goldfish wont immediately experience stunting and even minor stunting can be reversed when moved to a larger body of water.

Point being they want to panic you into buying supplies and items you don't truely need. And they are not always the most knowledgeable people. A lot in those places are part time workers. It's just a job.

Better off at a specialty store.

BTW - I joined that fish forum years ago to figure out why my freshwater puffer fish kept dying.

Idk why but this made me laugh. As if it were the same puffer fish dying over and over again. Guess the whole fish singular and plural thing :D

Well to that same point, if I went in and told a pet store worker about my fish they would tell me I need to quickly buy a 120 gallon tank, stand, new filter, gravel vacuum, etc etc. They want my money.

A goldfish wont immediately experience stunting and even minor stunting can be reversed when moved to a larger body of water.

Point being they want to panic you into buying supplies and items you don't truely need. And they are not always the most knowledgeable people. A lot in those places are part time workers. It's just a job.

Better off at a specialty store.

That's true. I can't believe the chit they tried to sell me, mainly the food and snacks. I suspect some may work for a vet's office for what they were telling me would create some nice vet bills down the road. I used to think I'd like to work in a pet store part time but it's too depression and I'd be too exhausted trying to teach people who are just there because it's a job.

I had several tanks in my room when I was a kid.

I'm looking forward to messing with it again. Always liked watching them.

If I get back into it again, I will get a bigger tank next year.

Here you just go to the "fish mall", this big ass place that has every damn thing you could think of. They have big ass sharks for sale in there.

I always wanted to try a saltwater tank, but never did.

I had several tanks in my room when I was a kid.

I'm looking forward to messing with it again. Always liked watching them.

If I get back into it again, I will get a bigger tank next year.

Here you just go to the "fish mall", this big ass place that has every damn thing you could think of. They have big ass sharks for sale in there.

I always wanted to try a saltwater tank, but never did.

If it wasn't so pricey, I would love to do saltwater with sea horse, little shrimps, and those gorg color fishies.

If I ever built a house, I would do one of those things where you have a huge tank in one room, and a large glass tube goes through the wall to a big ass tank in the next room. Saw one of those once, it was cool.

If I ever built a house, I would do one of those things where you have a huge tank in one room, and a large glass tube goes through the wall to a big ass tank in the next room. Saw one of those once, it was cool.

Have you seen the series, Tanked? Wow. They have celebs getting custom made tanks all the time. Very cool.

I wish I was into fish. Just seems like a giant PITA though with cleaning the tank and all

It's an even bigger pain if you run a saltwater tank. Constantly monitoring the salinity, pH, Nitrates. Dosing supplements, water changes, feeding the corals, blah blah.

I kept reef tanks of all different sizes most of my life. Soft coral, hard coral, FOWLR, etc. I loved the hobby because I'm a perfectionist and love nerding out on stuff. But it was so focking expensive and time consuming. When the kid arrived, I just had to let it go.

I'll try to dig up some old photos of some of my tanks.

• Like 1

I wish I was into fish. Just seems like a giant PITA though with cleaning the tank and all

Freshwater isn't too bad. With the right mix of fish and time, cleaning became once a month for me. The bigger the tank, the less frequent the cleanings--unless you put in 2 filters. It was a fun soothing hobby and an eye catcher in the home was everything was settled in right.

Have you seen the series, Tanked? Wow. They have celebs getting custom made tanks all the time. Very cool.

Yeah. I saw one where they turned a phone booth into an aquarium. Pretty cool.