Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Super Bowl 51 - New England vs. Atlanta: In-Game Discussion

The Pats are down 25 points and neither Brady or Belichick felt like the game was "out of reach". Everybody on the team probably felt the same way. Just amazing. Congrats to the Patriots and their fans.

:first:

The Pats are down 25 points and neither Brady or Belichick felt like the game was "out of reach". Everybody on the team probably felt the same way. Just amazing. Congrats to the Patriots and their fans.

:first:

Indeed. :cheers:

Goat my ass

See this is what I was talking about. If the Pats don't win people would use Brady poor first half to talk about how he isn't the GOAT, even if it wasn't his fault in the end. Now with this win Murph has no choice but to accept Brady is the GOAT.

Wrong. Take two knees, get a shiort FG attempt and likely win a SuperBowl. It was the worst play calling I've seen.

Agree. Best kicker in the league this year was waiting to wrap up the win

I would still take Montana and Elway.

Brady is third on my list.

NFL Network is re-running Super Bowl LI right now, if you want to catch it again.

They're in the 2nd quarter.

• Like 1

Patriots come back and win late.

This reminds me that there are people who see how long they can go without finding out who won. They missed an awesome game.

http://www.lastman.us

I am shocked - SHOCKED, I tell you! :shocking:

Why have you ruined it for me?! WHY?

I think that perhaps you are not a very nice person. :(

That was the most gift-wrapped victory in the history of sports. Feels fake. No way thats legit. Oh well. You can only laugh at this point. Hilarious. :thumbsup:

Gotta give the Pats credit though.... they have made a career out of not winning games but winning them anyways. Hard to top that. Better to be lucky than good, as they say. Hey, it works! Im sure they'l win next year too. Awesome. :)

Actually, I think the biggest gift wrapped victory in sports was when the Colts beat the Bears in the Super Bowl. That Bears team with Orton at the helm I believe, was just plain awful !

I think it was Grossman.

I think it was Grossman.

It was. Not that it makes it any better.

Actually, I think the biggest gift wrapped victory in sports was when the Colts beat the Bears in the Super Bowl. That Bears team with Orton at the helm I believe, was just plain awful !

That was the game that got Ron Rivera fired as DC. The Bears had a corner guarding Reggie Wayne who I had never even heard of, in the SB. I see this guy line up on Wayne and start asking my friends Who the hell is this CB? I have never seen him before. Sure enough Wayne torches the dude for a TD. Damn Tiny hands Grossman couldn't grip the ball when it rained.

Not even close. Sure, Orton was a clown but what Atlanta did defies logic in every way possible. They could have knelt down 3 times and kicked a FG. Game over. There were actually a bunch of things that Atlanta could have done to easily win that game but didn't. The patriots did NOTHING except just benefit from the Falcons moron playcalling and lousy execution. Sure, they won the game...but my goodness there is no comparison between this game and any other game ever regarding "handing the game over" on silver platter.

I'm sure your comment was just a jab at Manning which is fine. NE won a super bowl against Jake focking Delhomme so well call that. A gift wrapped win too. :)

Not even close. Sure, Orton was a clown but what Atlanta did defies logic in every way possible. They could have knelt down 3 times and kicked a FG. Game over. There were actually a bunch of things that Atlanta could have done to easily win that game but didn't. The patriots did NOTHING except just benefit from the Falcons moron playcalling and lousy execution. Sure, they won the game...but my goodness there is no comparison between this game and any other game ever regarding "handing the game over" on silver platter.

I'm sure your comment was just a jab at Manning which is fine. NE won a super bowl against Jake focking Delhomme so well call that. A gift wrapped win too. :)

Pretty sure the Pats did more than nothing to win.

Pretty sure the Pats did more than nothing to win.

You know what I mean - the played really good for about 8-10 minutes. Atlanta went out of their way to hand them the game. The entire non-blind world saw this and its a fact. Thats OK - taking advantage of your opponents eff ups is important and helps you to win. But lets at least agree that The Falcons handed the game to them. It is what it is.

Actually, I think the biggest gift wrapped victory in sports was when the Colts beat the Bears in the Super Bowl.

:thumbsup:

The League was desperate to get one for Manning there... if ever the fix was in, that was it.

CHI simply didn't belong in that game.... it didn't matter whether IND or NE was the AFC Champ.

The League was desperate to get one for Manning there... if ever the fix was in, that was it.

CHI simply didn't belong in that game.... it didn't matter whether IND or NE was the AFC Champ.

Actually Chicago did belong there imo. Their defense that year was incredible. Brian Urlacher, Mike Brown, Peanut Tillman, Lance Briggs all in their primes. Tommy Harris still had his knees and was probably the best DT in the league for a year and a half.

Plus they had a good oline anchored by Olind Krutz and Big Cat Williams. Thomas Jones was a good rb. A lot of talent on that team.

Yeah, just like NE didnt belong there the year of the FOCK rule or Tuck rule.... guess it all evens out, huh? :) You could say the league was desperate for NE to beat the Rams that year too since it was 2001, September 11th happened, blah blah blah. Hell, this game against Atlanta felt very WWF-scripted to me. :D

See this is what I was talking about. If the Pats don't win people would use Brady poor first half to talk about how he isn't the GOAT, even if it wasn't his fault in the end. Now with this win Murph has no choice but to accept Brady is the GOAT.

yes that cemented his legacy, but damned if Atlanta didn't blow that game and Seattle didn't blow their's the one before

Those 2 games get coached even by a 3rd grader in crunch time and he has 3 rings and 4 loses.

Hell without Vinatieri's magic toe he may have no rings. We often forget the Pats never ran away with any superbowl.

It was Rex Grossman. People wanted him benched all year and Lovie kept saying 'Rex Grossman is our quarterback'. Remember that, gents? Rex was terrible.

The colts run d was notably shaky all year long. Thomas Jones had 90-ish yards rushing at halftime in that Super Bowl. Then, the rains came, the Bears went into 'get cute and pass' mode and Rex started Rexing.

I argue regularly that Peyton's super bowl winning playoff run with the Colts was pretty fortunate. They beat the Chiefs, Ravens, and Pats. They had no good reason to be beating any of those teams imo. But those teams made many mistakes and Peyton took advantage to get his jewelry.

Will if it wasn't for some bad penalty calls vs the Seahawks Big Ben might have only won one super bowl.

Interesting hire for the Falcons.

Looks like Steve Sarkisian will be the new OC.

The Pats came out in the second half and were stuffing the run. ATL had five rushes after halftime because the run wasn't working. Perhaps they should've ran on 2nd down at the twenty, or perhaps their OC was not wanting to go into a shell and go for the jugular. If a Falcons fan, I'm not as upset with the playcall as I am my MVP QB taking a deep sack on the play. Dude HAS to get rid of that football. It's not like the rush was on him instantly.

As a Raider fan, I hate the Pats. But I also have enough integrity to call it like it is. I saw Montana and Elway play live in person, especially the latter. For anyone to say Tom Brady isn't the greatest QB in history is just misinformed.

The Pats came out in the second half and were stuffing the run. ATL had five rushes after halftime because the run wasn't working. Perhaps they should've ran on 2nd down at the twenty, or perhaps their OC was not wanting to go into a shell and go for the jugular. If a Falcons fan, I'm not as upset with the playcall as I am my MVP QB taking a deep sack on the play. Dude HAS to get rid of that football. It's not like the rush was on him instantly.

This. It's not on Shanny. Matt can't take that sack.

You know if I was a Falcons fan I would be really upset they didn't run the ball.

Those three points at that point in the game where going to be big l and maybe even enough to win the Super Bowl.

I think it was a bad call.

And also agree that Ryan can't take a sack in that situation, so it's a bad call and very bad execution of the play.

It was Rex Grossman. People wanted him benched all year and Lovie kept saying 'Rex Grossman is our quarterback'. Remember that, gents? Rex was terrible.

The colts run d was notably shaky all year long. Thomas Jones had 90-ish yards rushing at halftime in that Super Bowl. Then, the rains came, the Bears went into 'get cute and pass' mode and Rex started Rexing.

I argue regularly that Peyton's super bowl winning playoff run with the Colts was pretty fortunate. They beat the Chiefs, Ravens, and Pats. They had no good reason to be beating any of those teams imo. But those teams made many mistakes and Peyton took advantage to get his jewelry.

No good reason to be beatng any of those teams? WTF planet are you from? And, sorry but The Pats are QUEENS of freebies, good breaks, bad calls, lousy coaching decisions, etc, etc. Like Brady hasent taken advantage to get his jewelry? HUH? Cmon.... get real.

yes that cemented his legacy, but damned if Atlanta didn't blow that game and Seattle didn't blow their's the one before

Those 2 games get coached even by a 3rd grader in crunch time and he has 3 rings and 4 loses.

Hell without Vinatieri's magic toe he may have no rings. We often forget the Pats never ran away with any superbowl.

Without the tuck rule(worst call ever) and Bledsoe getting popped..... ya never know what would have happened. Super Bowls are TEAM accomplishments. Every non-idiot knows that. Brady didnt win 5 SBs...the Patriots did. Hes in the top 10 all-time. Thats about it. Sorry. Ive seen too many others play the position at a higher level regardless of team accomplishments to grant anything higher. Sorry but thats the way it is and always will be.

:D
wow. the floor in here is TILTED!!

Brady's gonna win 1 or 2 more before it's over!
Greatest QB? He's surpassed that.
Now the debates are whether or not he's the Greates Football player and/or Greates Clutch Athlete in any sport EVER!!!
Bayless was on ESPN yesterday making the case that Brady has surpassed Michael Jordan as the Greatest Clutch Player in sports history.
:banana:

Without the tuck rule(worst call ever) and Bledsoe getting popped..... ya never know what would have happened. Super Bowls are TEAM accomplishments. Every non-idiot knows that. Brady didnt win 5 SBs...the Patriots did. Hes in the top 10 all-time. Thats about it. Sorry. Ive seen too many others play the position at a higher level regardless of team accomplishments to grant anything higher. Sorry but thats the way it is and always will be.

:lol: Now this sounds like a butt hurt Pats hater. Brady is top 10 :lol:

Interesting the Falcons lose their OC to the Niners and now they fire both their DC and Defense Line coach.

Looks like a few scapegoats.

I think these type of moves will back fire on them.

:lol: Now this sounds like a butt hurt Pats hater. Brady is top 10 :lol:

No, it's an opinion ive formed over watching this game for many, many years and fully understanding that teams win championships, not players. Perhaps you don't grasp that and that's fine. It's a free country. I use a LOT of criteria when judging players that play in a TEAM sport such as football. Not everyone does. Some of you guys would place Trent Dilfer and Doug Williams ahead of Dan Marino too. That's also fine. So, saying Brady is in the top 10 of all time STILL means I hold him in very high regard and that my list can fluctuate depending on criteria or some other factors. I think he's a great guy to and gets a bad rap for being a jerk when he clearly is NOT. But, I've seen others play this postition at a level just as high or higher than him in various areas. Sorry that doesn't jive with your findings. My ass is fine, I hope yours is too. :)

Anything Skip says should be flushed immediately else it starts to stink. There is no more hatable sports personality than Bayless. Even Cowherd is better, and Cowherd is the slimy effluvium that collects in the lees of a slow moving sewage canal.

• Like 1

Anything Skip says should be flushed immediately else it starts to stink. There is no more hatable sports personality than Bayless. Even Cowherd is better, and Cowherd is the slimy effluvium that collects in the lees of a slow moving sewage canal.

I actually like Cowherd, but I completely agree on Bayless. I refuse to give one minute of my time listening to that ass hat. He can't even believe the crap he talks about. Just does it for the ratings. People eat it up though.

No, it's an opinion ive formed over watching this game for many, many years and fully understanding that teams win championships, not players. Perhaps you don't grasp that and that's fine. It's a free country. I use a LOT of criteria when judging players that play in a TEAM sport such as football. Not everyone does. Some of you guys would place Trent Dilfer and Doug Williams ahead of Dan Marino too. That's also fine. So, saying Brady is in the top 10 of all time STILL means I hold him in very high regard and that my list can fluctuate depending on criteria or some other factors. I think he's a great guy to and gets a bad rap for being a jerk when he clearly is NOT. But, I've seen others play this postition at a level just as high or higher than him in various areas. Sorry that doesn't jive with your findings. My ass is fine, I hope yours is too. :)

Oh yeah you are entitled to your opinion. I do not believe Diller is better than Marino. But this also tells me that no one should trust your evaluation at all. If you are actually not trolling, then I think my 1.5 year old kid is probably a better evaluator of talent.

Oh yeah you are entitled to your opinion. I do not believe Diller is better than Marino. But this also tells me that no one should trust your evaluation at all. If you are actually not trolling, then I think my 1.5 year old kid is probably a better evaluator of talent.

Well that's touching. Maybe you and your offspring can watch games together then. And I'm supposed to trust your evaluation that's apperently based only on rings accumulated. I, on the other hand dig a little deeper and assess the entire body of work and how a player played the position as a whole. Probably too complicated for you. I expect nothing less from patriot fans. Not a problem at all.

If you truly have a kid that young then you have ZERO experience with anything other than fairly recent QBs which means your data pool is very limited compared to mine. So, your opinions has been formed on a much more limited number of players. Again, that's fine but be realistic. Or, you're as old as me and forgot to wear your jimmy cap and had an oops. ;)

Well that's touching. Maybe you and your offspring can watch games together then. And I'm supposed to trust your evaluation that's apperently based only on rings accumulated. I, on the other hand dig a little deeper and assess the entire body of work and how a player played the position as a whole. Probably too complicated for you. I expect nothing less from patriot fans. Not a problem at all.

If you truly have a kid that young then you have ZERO experience with anything other than fairly recent QBs which means your data pool is very limited compared to mine. So, your opinions has been formed on a much more limited number of players. Again, that's fine but be realistic. Or, you're as old as me and forgot to wear your jimmy cap and had an oops. ;)

:lol:

I'm not a Patriots fan. Yes your opinion stating he is top 10 but no better, you supported that so well. Your complex evaluation process comes down to, You have watched a lot of football and did so much complex analysis... and that's about all you provided.

I'm not a Patriots fan. Yes your opinion stating he is top 10 but no better, you supported that so well. Your complex evaluation process comes down to, You have watched a lot of football and did so much complex analysis... and that's about all you provided.

Top ten means anywhere in the top 10. I didn't say he was 8th or whatever. Guys a top QB, no argument. I just don't feel he's the best ever at the position. That's hard to quantify UNLESS you use rings as the only criteria which I simply cannot do. There are way too many other factors involved, IMO. Like how did the team perform if that player was out with injury. How they master the mental aspect of the game. Arm strength. How they make plays on the run. How they scramble. Accuracy(Brady is superb here). How good the team was around them(this is where guys like Bradshaw, Aikman, and some others fall down the list since they were surrounded by HOF talent most of their career). The level of competition they had to deal with(Brady falls here because quite frankly the AFC east and AFC in general had been a fest for much of Brady's run). That kind of stuff. I'd even say ERA they played in does matter. The game has changed a lot. The rules are different. The league structure is different. Brady gets points for being so consistent in an era of free agency but also loses points for the league being so pass happy, can't touch the QB, defenders can't touch or hit WRs hardly anymore, etc. it all matters. Over the last 10 years has Brady been the best overall? Probably, with Manning right there along with Rogers, Favre, and maybe Big Ben. All time EVER? I don't believe so.

And, while we probably harp on it too much, the scandals and allegations of cheating certainly don't help. Did it really effect that much? Probably not to the extent that Patriot haters want to believe but it's STILL an issue that does detract a little bit from the overall success of the Pats during this run.

Hope that sheds some light on it. Sorry if I came across dickish about this. Didn't mean to. Peace. :)

• Like 1