Sign in to follow this  
The Football Guru

Instant Fantasy Analysis - RB Joe Mixon, Bengals

Oh boy. The job security of Jeremy Hill and Giovani Bernard is now very much in jeopardy. Of course, Mixon isn't available anywhere close to the No. 48 pick in the draft if not for his 2014 incident in which he punched a female student. Mixon served a one-year suspension for the incident and was considered by some to be the most-talented running back in this draft - even ahead of Leonard Fournette and Christian McCaffrey. Despite the presence of Hill and Bernard, Mixon enters Cincinnati as the most talented running back on the roster. If his past is in the past, the Bengals may have just landed a poor man's version of David Johnson, as the 6-0, 228-pounder is as good of a running/receiving option as this draft has. Especially considering Hill's recent struggles and Bernard's knee injury, Mixon is the early favorite to lead the Cincy backfield. Just beware: For all the upside he brings, he brings an equal amount of risk in reality and fantasy.

The fact that he won't be getting first-round pay is some consolation.

Not enough, though.

I commented on this before, in a LONG thread. The girl in the restaurant swung at him more than once, before he retaliated. That was three years - and one suspended season - ago.

*I* will take a change drafting him, if falls, in redraft leagues!

I'm drafting him high in dynasty

This is a great ff pick.

I now need to move Fournette down one spot, high Rb2 and replace him with Mixon who becomes a Rb1.

I commented on this before, in a LONG thread. The girl in the restaurant swung at him more than once, before he retaliated. That was three years - and one suspended season - ago.

*I* will take a change drafting him, if falls, in redraft leagues!

Swung at him? Meh. The guy seems like a cocky piece of shlt. Ripped up a ticket that a cop had gave him and threw it. It doesn't meant he can't have good fantasy value. I just wonder how the combination of potential head case and zero player accountability system will shape the player.

'Potential' head case?

In an interview yesterday, when asked about the incident, he said, 'I was just a kid' and then hastily added for the camera, 'not like that's an excuse'.

Like it's normal for 18 year-olds to break faces.

Something is broken in him.

This is a great ff pick.

I now need to move Fournette down one spot, high Rb2 and replace him with Mixon who becomes a Rb1.

My only concerns with him being an RB1 is that they still have 2 talented RBs.

Once he wins the job he's a sure RB1.

I'm taking him with my #3 dynasty pick if he's there.

My only concerns with him being an RB1 is that they still have 2 talented RBs.

Once he wins the job he's a sure RB1.

I'm taking him with my #3 dynasty pick if he's there.

Who are the talented rbs on the Bengals? I seriously don't know.

Who are the talented rbs on the Bengals? I seriously don't know.

Talented enough to give Mixon competition for touches early on in the season.

You guys forget that Bernard probably won't be ready by camp...torn ACL. Mixon vs Hill. 50/50 carries to start, with Mixon pulling away slowly. Mixon can catch as well.

• Like 1

Hill can't touch the over all talent Mixon has.

Unless Mixon blows it he should be the Bengals rb1.

You guys forget that Bernard probably won't be ready by camp...torn ACL. Mixon vs Hill. 50/50 carries to start, with Mixon pulling away slowly. Mixon can catch as well.

by the time training camp is done mixon will be the rb1. Why use a combo of 3 backs when 1 can do all 3 players job. Gio is there to catch. Hill is there to pound it. Mixon can do both.

Is there a bigger focking idiot on TV than LaDanian Tomlinson? Great football player, but has the worst takes of any football analyst on NFL Network.

"I just can't understand this pick for Cincinnati. They have two excellent running backs, it makes no sense to me."

Forget the fact Bernard is entering his fifth year, and the average life of an NFL backis 3 years. Dude is coming off a bad knee injury. Why wouldn't a team start looking for a replacement?

Lol, last year LT the idiot said the Raiders wouldn't make the playoffs. This year the dumb ass never acknowledges that statement, but then says the Raiders "need to take the next step."

They went 12-4 and would've competed for a Super Bowl if they don't lose their MVP QB. Not sure what that next step is if it isn't a trophy smh.

What a focking clown.

'Potential' head case?

In an interview yesterday, when asked about the incident, he said, 'I was just a kid' and then hastily added for the camera, 'not like that's an excuse'.

Like it's normal for 18 year-olds to break faces.

Something is broken in him.

I know some people who at 18 used to go to the bars looking for a fight.

I also know some who at 18 would drink and lose all control and do stupid stuff like that.

Many of those guys who fit into either of those categories straightened themselves out by the time they hit the age of 21 or 22.

I agree, its something to watch for, and I'm sure the coach will need to keep close tabs on him, but for me the key is that he hasn't been in trouble since. If this happened a couple months before the draft I'd be far more concerned.

Inevitably he paid the price in being drafted in round 2 instead of round 1. This has cost him a fair bit of cash.

That being said,

Most guys deserve to have a second chance. I think there are plenty of guys in the league who have done worse than what he has done. If the team has done their homework on the guy and made sure this was a one off thing, then the team will do well with this pick.

the key here would be the words 'one off'.

if there are other incidents of stupidity (especially since the original) Then yeah, he shouldnt be drafted.

I truly think if teams would have uncovered other issues, he would not have been a second round pick, he would have been a priority free agent.

I know some people who at 18 used to go to the bars looking for a fight.

I also know some who at 18 would drink and lose all control and do stupid stuff like that.

Many of those guys who fit into either of those categories straightened themselves out by the time they hit the age of 21 or 22.

I agree, its something to watch for, and I'm sure the coach will need to keep close tabs on him, but for me the key is that he hasn't been in trouble since. If this happened a couple months before the draft I'd be far more concerned.

Inevitably he paid the price in being drafted in round 2 instead of round 1. This has cost him a fair bit of cash.

That being said,

Most guys deserve to have a second chance. I think there are plenty of guys in the league who have done worse than what he has done. If the team has done their homework on the guy and made sure this was a one off thing, then the team will do well with this pick.

the key here would be the words 'one off'.

if there are other incidents of stupidity (especially since the original) Then yeah, he shouldnt be drafted.

I truly think if teams would have uncovered other issues, he would not have been a second round pick, he would have been a priority free agent.

The difference between a star player going from college to pro with an attitude and the average Joe with an attitude, the star player gets millions of dollars and often gets out of trouble. Average Joe doesn't have get out of jail free cards. So usually when an athlete is a punk, he stays that way from what I have seen

The difference between a star player going from college to pro with an attitude and the average Joe with an attitude, the star player gets millions of dollars and often gets out of trouble. Average Joe doesn't have get out of jail free cards. So usually when an athlete is a punk, he stays that way from what I have seen

Yeah, but I think it depends on the situation too.

for example, Manziel was a party boy and the party seemed to continue right up until draft day. (and beyond)

In this case, it looks like he had an incident early in his career, and paid a rather high price for it. He was suspended for the season.

In the cases you highlight, the Athlete gets away with it over and over again and because it is covered up he essentially learns he can do what he wants.

so I would argue that because he has paid the price, and hasnt had any major probems since, that he may (key word being MAY) be okay.

supposedly he also disrespected a parking attendant after getting a ticket too, but I dont consider that to be anything major. Lots of people do that sort of thing. I dont think I've ever seen someone who was happy to get a ticket. Including myself. Very few people are polite to a parking attendant who has given them a ticket.....and some of those parking guys can be awfully stupid to boot.

You are correct in the sense that quite often no lesson is learned because the athlete keeps getting away with the bad behaviour. In this case, It looks like the school did not protect the kid like some other schools would, and his situation is a different one. I cannot say that for sure, but that's how it looks to me.

Bernard acl, he won't be the same for another year. He has a shot to surprise if he is as talented as you guys say.

I think he has the talent. and if Hill doesn't look great in camp I could see him as the starter early in the season.

I do hope that Hill has the smarts to make sure he comes to camp in the best shape of his life.

At this point Mixon's character only matters if it becomes an issue again. For now, He's a Bengal and if he plays well enough, the team will promote him accordingly.

They wont sit him on the bench because they are scared he will do something off the field. They will bench him if he cant get it done on the field. But that goes for all the RB's on the team.

Jeremy Hill is signed through this season.
The Bengals have an opt-out for Gio after this season as well.

It could very well be Mixon as the 3-down back in 2018.

Very possible.

For me, the only thing that could keep him off the field is his fumbling issue. He does put the ball on the ground more than he should.

He's a bit too loosey goosey with his grip on it at times when he's trying to get some extra yards. The good thing about that is it is a coachable issue.

It's one thing if you have small hands and cant hang onto it when you get hit... but when you are not looking after it when you squirm for extra yards, those kind of things can definitely be resolved with coaching.

So it's not a given that he will get the job right away. This part of his game needs to be fixed first. And sometimes old habits die hard. Especially the bad habits.

He's going to be the Bengals rb1.

Best RB in class. Built like a bell cow and catches like a WR. Reminds me of LBell. Trying to get him on every dynasty team

He's going to be the Bengals rb1.

If he can hang onto the ball. I'd agree 100%.

if he puts the ball on the ground early in his career, he may end up sitting a year before this happens.

If one is playing in a keeper league, it looks like Mixon is a pick that should receive strong consideration.

- - - - -

After the loss of Whitworth and Zeitler, I was surprised that the Bengals used only one of their eleven picks on an OL prospect. But as a poster said in another thread yesterday, 2017 may have been a draft that was light on OL talent.

He's not sitting a year.

He's going to easily over take Hill as the rb1.

If one is playing in a keeper league, it looks like Mixon is a pick that should receive strong consideration.

- - - - -

After the loss of Whitworth and Zeitler, I was surprised that the Bengals used only one of their eleven picks on an OL prospect. But as a poster said in another thread yesterday, 2017 may have been a draft that was light on OL talent.

Actually, the Bengals have drafted offensive linemen in 2 of the last drafts. They got a guard they really like mid rounds (I think) last year and they drafted 2 OT in 2015 in the first round.

I'm doing everything I can to get Mixon as a RB1 in my primary league!

Bernard acl, he won't be the same for another year. He has a shot to surprise if he is as talented as you guys say.

He is.

He might be a despicable human being. But football wise, he's best in the class.

I think between Mixon and Perine in Wash.

All do respects to Fournette, Dalvin Cook, and Christian McCaffrey. The Oklahoma backs are the guys that set this RB class on fire.

If the consensus top 3 even remotely turn out the way they're supposed to. Wow, what a rookie class.

I'm still gonna stand by those Green Bay sleepers also.

Among the rookies, don't be surprised if Hunt in KC or Mack in Indy emerge as the feature back for their respective teams.

I think Hunt can and will at some point take over in K C.

Among the rookies, don't be surprised if Hunt in KC or Mack in Indy emerge as the feature back for their respective teams.

Yeah, with Gore being the age he is, the wheels could conceivably fall off at any time now. And the RB depth in indy is such that Mack could be a surprise starter at some point this year.

And Joe Williams with the 49ers.....

Kid is gonna be a FF star. Up to Shanny as to when that happens..

The scent around here has changed markedly over the last month. Could it be the stanky stench associated with rookie fever?

The scent around here has changed markedly over the last month. Could it be the stanky stench associated with rookie fever?

Happens every year....

some of the scents will go sour during training camp (or in the first 2-3 weeks of the regular season)

Hill can't touch the over all talent Mixon has.

Unless Mixon blows it he should be the Bengals rb1.

No I don't think he's the same RB he was as a rookie but he will almost certainly vulture some TDs this season from Mixon

30 TDs in the past 3 seasons

Don't think he'll be back though after this season

That is a lot of tds.

I'm not one to jump on rookie RB bandwagons with reckless abandon. The only one I liked last year was Zeke which was fairly obvious.

This year, I see 3 that could be special: Mixon, Hunt and McCafferey.

Though, I can see McCafferey being spectacular for a very short window of time, maybe 4 years.

Mixon has the highest ceiling for sure.

What your feeling about Fournette?