Sign in to follow this  
Maulers1973

Powell

So, it looks like he's going to be the primary back this year.

The team will suck big time.

He's going to catch a gazillion passes from whoever their crappy QB ends up being.

Would you roll with him as a RB2 or no? I can keep him in my keeper league. I'm thinking no, but I was wondering what others think of him.

One of the best values in my opinion. Even in standard he has a high floor and ceiling for his ADP. He'll be an excellent flex for those who draft RB's early or a solid RB2 for those that go WR early.

He should be huge in PPR. Still not sure if I'll keep him or not. I'll try to catch their game this weekend.

70 total yards and 0 tds most weeks.. will have maybe a random good 3 games you won't no about. Stay away!!! They are horrible. They can double stack the box there is no wrs. Willy Anderson is their top wr?? Come on man!!!!

A back who will be his teams lead back in rushing and receiving ,is being drafted in the mid 20's? I'll buy that all day. They may be bad, but it's still a professional team that will score some points and gain yardage. It's a low price for the expected usage.

I see him no better then a flex player.

The jets stink.

And as posted above zero tds.

Let's review:

Jets have a bad offensive line - check

Jets have a bad QB whoever wins the job - check

Jets have hot garbage at the WR positions - check

Thus, they'll be behind in every game they play. Thus, they'll be throwing the ball to someone. Thus, a lot of checkdowns to the RB. I can see his rushing total being weak, but his rec should be off the charts.

800 rush, 80 for 450 & 7 total TDs.

Let's review:

Jets have a bad offensive line - check

Jets have a bad QB whoever wins the job - check

Jets have hot garbage at the WR positions - check

Thus, they'll be behind in every game they play. Thus, they'll be throwing the ball to someone. Thus, a lot of checkdowns to the RB. I can see his rushing total being week, but his rec should be off the charts.

800 rush, 80 for 450 & 7 total TDs.

ya check downs should be plentiful

70 total yards and 0 tds most weeks.. will have maybe a random good 3 games you won't no about. Stay away!!! They are horrible. They can double stack the box there is no wrs. Willy Anderson is their top wr?? Come on man!!!!

I'm a little dumbfounded on the love for this guy. His 4 or 5 good games last year came against the weakest D's in the league....Browns, Rams, 49ers and a Bills team that tanked it in week 17 of last year. Oh and the Dolphins who were pretty much tanking it by week 15.

Posted this in the Big Board V.2 forum:

I see the Jets using a three-man backfield, with Powell leading the way, Forte limping his way to about 150 or so touches and Elijah McGuire picking up some (including maybe goal line). While I agree with the notion NYJ will be trailing a lot, can we just assume McCown (who can't stay healthy) and Hackenberg can get him the ball on the simplest of passes? I'm not sure we can. And if Forte is turned into the third-down back in order to preserve Powell, then what? And the offensive line is going to struggle.

I really try to not assume "garbage time" when ranking players. Powell's TD upside is extremely limited, and I'd argue his rushing yardage upside is too. At that point, you have what Duke Johnson was the last two years IMO.

IMO, assuming 800 yards rushing behind a bad line on a bad offense in a timeshare is a huge mistake. Assuming Forte is just going to sit on the sideline is probably another. This season doesn't figure to be a continuation of the end of last season ... it figures to be even worse for the Jets.

I'm a little dumbfounded on the love for this guy. His 4 or 5 good games last year came against the weakest D's in the league....Browns, Rams, 49ers and a Bills team that tanked it in week 17 of last year. Oh and the Dolphins who were pretty much tanking it by week 15.

Because he didn't receive double digit touches until week 14, where three of his four games he scored double digit points. Previous to that, he still managed to put decent numbers, despite limited touches. He'll be the ahead of Forte all season this year, should get 20+ touches every week and isn't game flow dependent. Guys penciled in for 20+ touches every week are few and far between, especially in the middle rounds. People are scared off by the fact he's on the Jets, but even the awful Jets will score (multiple times) every week. The Browns were terrible last year, and their offense still managed to have a fantasy relevant starting running back in Crowell, who is game flow dependent and doesn't post receiving yards.

I see the Jets using a three-man backfield, with Powell leading the way, Forte limping his way to about 150 or so touches and Elijah McGuire picking up some (including maybe goal line). While I agree with the notion NYJ will be trailing a lot, can we just assume McCown (who can't stay healthy) and Hackenberg can get him the ball on the simplest of passes? I'm not sure we can. And if Forte is turned into the third-down back in order to preserve Powell, then what? And the offensive line is going to struggle.

I really try to not assume "garbage time" when ranking players. Powell's TD upside is extremely limited, and I'd argue his rushing yardage upside is too. At that point, you have what Duke Johnson was the last two years IMO.

IMO, assuming 800 yards rushing behind a bad line on a bad offense in a timeshare is a huge mistake. Assuming Forte is just going to sit on the sideline is probably another. This season doesn't figure to be a continuation of the end of last season ... it figures to be even worse for the Jets.

Forte has played in 16 games in only 2 of the last 6 seasons and he's a year older, and he has already suffered a hamstring in camp. The odds of Forte being the every game 3rd down back are slim and nil. You're also asking me to worry about GL carries going to some dufus nobody has ever heard of. I'm not sure I'm buyin that.

By not making assumptions, you're making assumptions. Granted at this point, we're all making assumptions, I just think you're assumptions are incorrect. The Johnson to Powell comparison is off base. The carries, total touches, role in the offense, eye test, all favor Powell. Maybe I'm subscribing to the "well someone has to score" theory too much, but Powell actually looked decent last year. I don't see Forte as a third down back, I think Forte will get a few series every week, but that number will likely decrease as the year goes on.

Forte has played in 16 games in only 2 of the last 6 seasons and he's a year older, and he has already suffered a hamstring in camp. The odds of Forte being the every game 3rd down back are slim and nil. You're also asking me to worry about GL carries going to some dufus nobody has ever heard of. I'm not sure I'm buyin that.

This isn't about Forte playing 16 games. If he takes 40 percent of the work in 10-12 games, Powell isn't worth a fifth-round pick. The one thing Forte can still do at this point of his career is catch the ball. Yes, he may not be the threat out of the backfield that Powell is, but how often do coaches do what we think they should? I'm betting somebody up above wants Forte to "earn" at least part of the $4 M the Jets are paying him this year. NFL history is littered with backs you've never heard of coming out of the woodwork. Plus, GL carries isn't really the point. We might be talking about 6-7 rushing touchdowns as a team for the season.

By not making assumptions, you're making assumptions. Granted at this point, we're all making assumptions, I just think you're assumptions are incorrect. The Johnson to Powell comparison is off base. The carries, total touches, role in the offense, eye test, all favor Powell. Maybe I'm subscribing to the "well someone has to score" theory too much, but Powell actually looked decent last year. I don't see Forte as a third down back, I think Forte will get a few series every week, but that number will likely decrease as the year goes on.

You are right, we are all assuming things. Perhaps it would be better to say within "his realistic realm of possibilities." Even if we "assume" Powell is the lead back here (not a certainty), the new OC is from New Orleans. Does he subscribe to the Sean Payton school of running back playing time? How well did the Todd Gurley "well, someone has to score/post stats from a sucky team" work for folks last year? Powell is less talented than Gurley and is probably running behind a lesser line with MORE competition for touches. I don't think most of us can or will argue those things.

I owned Powell in a few leagues last year, so I remember how he finished. Does he strike you as someone who can hold up to a full 16-touch per week workload?

In an ideal world, yes, Powell catches six swing passes/screens per week and everybody goes home happy. It could happen. I'll point you in the direction of Lamar Miller from last year, who played on a terrible offense and couldn't get Brock to look in his direction more than once or twice. Powell is the fifth round is being drafted at his ceiling IMO.

• Like 1

If Powell, were a traditional runner like Gurley was last year, I could better see the comparison, but he's a receiving back. Receiving backs can benefit from a poor line, due to check downs. He also isn't being drafted in the top 4, so if Powell does fail, he won't crush a teams chances. He's an added peace being drafted with players like Abdullah, Blount, & Peterson. All of whom have durability and usage question marks. He's no sure thing, but I see enough there to take a chance in the right draft scenario.

He may not be able to take a traditional beating, but given how often they'll being behind and throwing, I don't see his touches being as taxing as a normal backs would. Being tackled in the open field by one guy, is different than being crushed 15 times a game by 300 lb lineman.

McCown's not an asset for fantasy players around him, but he's not the Osweiler torpedo that hit the Texans last year.

If Powell, were a traditional runner like Gurley was last year, I could better see the comparison, but he's a receiving back. Receiving backs can benefit from a poor line, due to check downs. He also isn't being drafted in the top 4, so if Powell does fail, he won't crush a teams chances. He's an added peace being drafted with players like Abdullah, Blount, & Peterson. All of whom have durability and usage question marks. He's no sure thing, but I see enough there to take a chance in the right draft scenario.

He may not be able to take a traditional beating, but given how often they'll being behind and throwing, I don't see his touches being as taxing as a normal backs would. Being tackled in the open field by one guy, is different than being crushed 15 times a game by 300 lb lineman.

McCown's not an asset for fantasy players around him, but he's not the Osweiler torpedo that hit the Texans last year.

well said

How likely do you think it is that Forte is cut before the first game?

I think it will happen. They have tried to trade him, why he started PS game 3. No takers due to his salary and the presumption that he'll be cut anyway.

• Like 1

...Plus, GL carries isn't really the point. We might be talking about 6-7 rushing touchdowns as a team for the season.

You are right, we are all assuming things. Perhaps it would be better to say within "his realistic realm of possibilities." Even if we "assume" Powell is the lead back here (not a certainty), the new OC is from New Orleans. Does he subscribe to the Sean Payton school of running back playing time? How well did the Todd Gurley "well, someone has to score/post stats from a sucky team" work for folks last year? Powell is less talented than Gurley and is probably running behind a lesser line with MORE competition for touches. I don't think most of us can or will argue those things....

- I think this is an important point. There is a new OC. It's not Chan Gailey, it's John Morton. Morton was a WR coach for Payton for one year (~2014, and I don't think that ended well IIRC), and he was an assistant for another year (2006). Morton was OC for USC in 2009-10.

Nobody knows anything about Morton's offense or his style as a play-caller.

I would rather have Mccaffery three rounds earlier.

Powell will finish top 10 PPR

one savvy owner in my league kept him for a 12th rounder from last year over Zeke fwiw

I would have gladly taken Powell in the 3rd over Mixon, Lynch, Montgomery, Miller, well just about every RB taken after Mccaffrey

I would rather have Mccaffery three rounds earlier.

Seriously? You are usually all for the later round value. A 3rd down rookie on an offense that vultures goal line vs a probable 2-3 down guy in a team that will dump off a lot due to crap qb play? 3 rounds earlier?!

A guy in my league got both.

Seriously.

If or when Mccaffery becomes with out question the rb1 on the Panthers and its going to take place, would you rather have a check down guy with the Jets and that machine or a rb1 with the Panthers.

Avoid all JETS this season. They are preparing to tank big time this season.

They will tank. The probably won't get too many TDs. I do think Powell can rack up garbage yards on draws and check downs in garbage time. If they get rid of Forte Powell would be locked in as a high floor rb2/flex.

Avoid all JETS this season. They are preparing to tank big time this season.

Bilal Powell sure doesn't care that the Jets are tanking. This is his first shot at a starting job, so is auditioning for his next contract, which could be with the Jets or any other team that happens to watch his tape this year. Players are their own individual commodities, so they don't care if the team goal is to still lose every game. Powell has all the motivation in the world to make this his best year ever.

And btw, during Indy's tank year back in 2011, Garcon had 70 catches for 947 yards and 6 TDs and Wayne had 75 catches for 960 yards and 4 TDs. Those are definitely rosterable numbers, and it wouldn't surprise me if Robby Anderson falls into that same stat line at the end of the year.

Stupid post.

He's a near lock for 20-touches every week. Not a lot of RBs you can say that about anymore. On pure volume alone he's an RB2.

I don't care how bad the Jets are, they're still a professional team that will move the ball and score occasionally. I'd be surprised if he didn't at least top 1,000 total yards and a handful of scores. I'd say that's his floor.

And let's not forget about the 'holy crap: they're scoring more than we thought they would' variable. I like Powell at his ADP in PPR.

Bilal Powell sure doesn't care that the Jets are tanking. This is his first shot at a starting job, so is auditioning for his next contract, which could be with the Jets or any other team that happens to watch his tape this year. Players are their own individual commodities, so they don't care if the team goal is to still lose every game. Powell has all the motivation in the world to make this his best year ever.

And btw, during Indy's tank year back in 2011, Garcon had 70 catches for 947 yards and 6 TDs and Wayne had 75 catches for 960 yards and 4 TDs. Those are definitely rosterable numbers, and it wouldn't surprise me if Robby Anderson falls into that same stat line at the end of the year.

Stupid post.

Stupid is stupid does.

AVOID ALL JETS PLAYERS!

Stupid is stupid does.

AVOID ALL JETS PLAYERS!

Skinny, he and Robby might be okay....

Stupid is stupid does.

AVOID ALL JETS PLAYERS!

9th round pick is what I spent on Powell, for a guy getting a guaranteed 15-20 touches per game most likely.

A guy that, in the 4 games he started last year, went for 179 total yards, 162 yards, 74 yards, and 137 yards.

For a 9th rd pick?

You're the stupid one if you can't see the value in that.

I'm not saying reach for the guy (or any Jet), just to not put on blinders about what he's capable of just because he's going to be on a bad team.

How do you like those real football stats, stupid?

The volume and the price can't be beat on those two Jets. Last year, the one win Browns managed to produce a decent fantasy RB and WR duo. I have no reason to believe the Jets can't do the same.

There are two Jets who are worth rostering for sure - Powell (after round 7/8), Robby Anderson (9/10+), and a third - ASJ (flier for TE depth).

I think this year people are going to really start to understand that the spread between best and worst teams is really shrinking. It's silly not to draft any Jets.

9th round pick is what I spent on Powell, for a guy getting a guaranteed 15-20 touches per game most likely.

A guy that, in the 4 games he started last year, went for 179 total yards, 162 yards, 74 yards, and 137 yards.

For a 9th rd pick?

You're the stupid one if you can't see the value in that.

I'm not saying reach for the guy (or any Jet), just to not put on blinders about what he's capable of just because he's going to be on a bad team.

How do you like those real football stats, stupid?

What about the first 13 weeks last season. Blah! You don't care about those weeks because HE SUCKED! And the worst part of all of this...it's going to be WORST this season.

9th round is still good value out there.

Skinny, he and Robby might be okay....

They be telling me he's 'okay' for 3 years...

C'mon..this dude will sit in your bench all season and give you the 5-8 points with an occasional 15. No true upside and can never be a consistent starter.

He is, what he is...JAB.

I can name 6-8 guys that i rather own than powell around that range.

What about the first 13 weeks last season. Blah! You don't care about those weeks because HE SUCKED! And the worst part of all of this...it's going to be WORST this season.

9th round is still good value out there.

why are the first 13 weeks last year relevant?

Are the weeks when Rob Kelley, jay Ajayi, or Jordan Howard didn't have the starting job last year relevant to them this year? Obviously no.

And why exactly is it going to be worse this year? As poster above said, Cle was 1-15 last year and produced very very good returns for Crowell and Pryor. You can't do much worse than 1-15, and yet two very, very good fantasy players existed on those teams.

You really sound retarded here.