Sign in to follow this  
cyclone24

Drafting for a league member not there...

So we have a guy who last second cannot make the draft. As commissioner he's asked me to draft for him.

Sends me his rankings and says "I don't care what order...but I want two rbs and two wrs in the first 4 rounds"

Now....do I use this information to then alter my own draft? For instance if I'm wanting to go WR heavy early....do I have him take rbs first? (I'm 6th pick....he's 7th). I'm still doing what he's asked.

Is that bad form or fock him?

So we have a guy who last second cannot make the draft. As commissioner he's asked me to draft for him.

Sends me his rankings and says "I don't care what order...but I want two rbs and two wrs in the first 4 rounds"

Now....do I use this information to then alter my own draft? For instance if I'm wanting to go WR heavy early....do I have him take rbs first? (I'm 6th pick....he's 7th). I'm still doing what he's asked.

I would grab a ranking list (such as fftoday) and go RB, WR, RB, WR in the first 4 rounds based on best available at each position on that list.

The reason I would do it this way is because if he does not like it I'd show him the list. By doing it this way, you cant manipulate the draft to benefit yourself. you're just getting the top guy on the list.

then I'd draft for your team based on your own list

Have someone else make the picks right before yours if you think you'll get a few beers deep and exploit the situation. Basically, let the guy picking 8th make all of his even round picks.

His bad for not having a proxy do it. You have no choice but to exploit it if it helps you. Thats really if you draft near eachother. If you dont, then its ok. But still, you can make sure he doesnt get your sleepers.

• Like 1

We have someone that's not in the league join us every year to run our draft board. Anytime there's someone that can't make it, he provides the "extra" with a strategy to follow and draft on his behalf. Typically it's of the format of "In this round, draft this position" and provides a ranking sheet to work with. Are you able to ask your missing player to send a proxy to draft for him?

We have someone that's not in the league join us every year to run our draft board. Anytime there's someone that can't make it, he provides the "extra" with a strategy to follow and draft on his behalf. Typically it's of the format of "In this round, draft this position" and provides a ranking sheet to work with. Are you able to ask your missing player to send a proxy to draft for him?

We draft tomorrow morning. Just found out tonight. No time.

I pick 6...hes 7.

This is why i (commish) wrote out specific requirements for missing the draft. Essentially you either have someone not in the league physically replace you, or have a complete mixed position list 150+ players deep with instructions for how you want positions filled. It's that or you get Yahoo(our league host) default next player regardless of position (and basically end up with a disaster team).

Lol man this is a tough one.

We also have a non league player come in and run the draft.

And if indeed this issue comes up he then drafts for that person.

Over the years we've had many of owners draft via phone.

Ok I think the owner that has the 5th draft postion drafts for him in the odd rounds and the 8th draft postion person drafts for him in the even rounds.

This indeed leaves you out.

Have someone else make the picks right before yours if you think you'll get a few beers deep and exploit the situation. Basically, let the guy picking 8th make all of his even round picks.

This

He sent you his rankings...use them. Select the highest ranking RB or WR available from his list when it's his turn. If it turns out to be RB RB ok, select highest WR from his rankings for rds 3 and 4. Just don't pass up a higher WR in rd 2 to select a lower RB so you can grab the WR. It would be more impartial to have a disinterested party draft for him though. Even someone's teenage son would be better than nothing.

print out top 200, and take best available at whatever position, if it happens to be WR/WR/RB/RB so be it or vice versa

show the list to everyone else drafting as the master, so there is nothing shady

Reason I hate this is it gives the 1 guy drafting for him knowledge that rest of league doesn't necessarily have.

I did it last year. Just texted him when it was his turn. Only took a while a few times.

print out top 200, and take best available at whatever position, if it happens to be WR/WR/RB/RB so be it or vice versa

show the list to everyone else drafting as the master, so there is nothing shady

Yup, this is the only answer.

I had to do this last year for my brother who had an emergency pop up. He had 3rd pick, I had 7th. That helped that it was fair enough apart not to influence my picks for either team.

Guess who met in the Championship? ;)

:lol:

This

I realize I'm late to the party, but think about going online draft next season.

As commish, I still host a draft party every season yet let Yahoo do all the work for me. This is especially ideal for auctions. This way, I no longer have these issues, just to name a few...

A. No show/show up late Guy

B. Have to leave in the 7th round Guy

C. "How much money do I have left?", "What's my max bid?" Guy

D. No more sticker , and the cost of a new board/stickers each season

E. Two good friends on the east coast have now joined my league (I live in AZ)

F. What used to be a 4-5 hour draft is complete in 3 hours or less.

Mind boggles me people still do draft boards, print out sheets, purchase dated Fantasy mags, or even do snakes anymore for that matter.

I guess I'm just really a fan of all this as it makes my responsibility much less... I can drink, jerk off, or take a poop while bidding on my favorite players. Also, buy ins/fees can be paid via third party/bank aps. No exchange of cash necessary. This allows me to enjoy being the Commish, and not treat this like a second job.

This isn't all directed towards the OP, but this is my first time back on the boards in a while and feel like I'm talking to dinosaurs.

I realize I'm late to the party, but think about going online next season.

As commish, I still host a draft party every season yet let Yahoo do all the work for me. This is especially ideal for auctions. This way, I no longer have these issues, just to name a few...

D. No more sticker ######, and the cost of a new board/stickers each season

Mind boggles me people still do draft boards, print out sheets, purchase dated Fantasy mags, or even do snakes anymore for that matter.

I guess I'm just really a fan of all this as it makes my responsibility much less... I can drink, jerk off, or take a poop while bidding on my favorite players. Also, buy ins/fees can be paid via third party/bank aps. No exchange of cash necessary. This all always me to enjoy being the Commish, and not treat this like a second job.

This isn't all directed towards the OP, but this is my first time back on the boards in a while and feel like I'm talking to dinosaurs.

Do I need the World Wide Web for this Yahoo thingy? :dunno:

Yes, your local newspaper is no good here.

:(

I realize I'm late to the party, but think about going online draft next season.

D. No more sticker ######, and the cost of a new board/stickers each season

I guess I'm just really a fan of all this as it makes my responsibility much less... I can drink, jerk off, or take a poop while bidding on my favorite players. Also, buy ins/fees can be paid via third party/bank aps. No exchange of cash necessary. This all always me to enjoy being the Commish, and not treat this like a second job.

Although our league is a bunch of cavemen in the way we do things I give you props for still hosting a draft party.As the commish of our 12 man league I look forward to hosting the guys,having drinks and usually some good laughs in the latter rounds as I pick up a nasty cheap bottle of liquor and any owner who calls out a player already taken is required to do a shot.

• Like 1

As the commish of our 12 man league I look forward to hosting the guys,having drinks and usually some good laughs in the latter rounds as I pick up a nasty cheap bottle of liquor and any owner who calls out a player already taken is required to do a shot.

My league used to do something pretty similar...

If a player was nominated/drafted who was already taken, that League owner would then have to perform hand stimulation to the owner sitting two seats to his left. Needless to say, by the 12th round things usually get a little weird.

This was a family league.

My league used to do something pretty similar...

If a player was nominated/drafted who was already taken, that League owner would then have to perform hand stimulation to the owner sitting two seats to his left. Needless to say, by the 12th round things usually get a little weird.

This was a family league.

The family that plays together............

Our league did this in 2005 secondary to Hurricane Katrina. Fairest way to do it is to alternate who picks for the absent player.......with priority given to those players that pick before the absent player in any given round.