Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

Does anybody have a take on net neutrality?

In case anyone is interested in buying a member of congress in the future, here is a quick menu of the bïtches thatvare for sale.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/11/16746230/net-neutrality-fcc-isp-congress-campaign-contribution

They pay off all types. Liberals, conservatives, even crazy cowboy hat lady. They know how to play the game.

You have no idea who I am or what I know. All you know is that I don't agree with you no questions asked. And that sends you into a tizzy? Now I'm really curious - How do you survive in daily life at all?

I had no idea who you were until 5 minutes ago, and will have forgotten again by the time I go to bed. You asked a question that's already been answered, and then started mashing your keyboard like a retard, when people wouldn't spell it out for your dumb ass again. I don't really care who you are, what you know, or what your opinion on anything is. I survive daily life by eating food and drinking at least 8 cups of water. Not sure how that relates to Net Neutrality though.

I had no idea who you were until 5 minutes ago, and will have forgotten again by the time I go to bed. You asked a question that's already been answered, and then started mashing your keyboard like a retard, when people wouldn't spell it out again, for your dumb ass. I don't really care who you are, what you know, or what your opinion on anything is. I survive daily life by eating food and drinking at least 8 cups of water. Not sure how that relates to Net Neutrality though.

Here is a tip from an adult: In the real world, people won't always agree with you. That's okay - you don't need to go into hyperbole driven overdrive and start insulting them right off the bat. It's okay to disagree with someone and not be a total and complete douche.

Here is a tip from an adult: In the real world, people won't always agree with you. That's okay - you don't need to go into hyperbole driven overdrive and start insulting them right off the bat. It's okay to disagree with someone and not be a total and complete douche.

Let me know when you figure out how to do that. Safe travels.

What was happening before Net Neutrality? Did the world end then?

You could read the post I made for the last person who asked that exact question.

You could read the post I made for the last person who asked that exact question.

Now you're in a tizzy too! Do you need some tips from an adult?

I'm a simpleton when it comes to this stuff but I believe in an economy driven by money, like the American market economy, money will drive this.

If companies decide to limit access etc etc...somw start up will offer no limits, and if it is a good product, Americans will flock to it. And this will force competitors to match.

Someone mentioned the cable comparison. That's a good one. Started to become far too controlled so others popped up to fill the need of the American consumer.

But fundamentally over the time of trumps presidency I see it having little effect.

I'm a simpleton when it comes to this stuff but I believe in an economy driven by money, like the American market economy, money will drive this.

If companies decide to limit access etc etc...somw start up will offer no limits, and if it is a good product, Americans will flock to it. And this will force competitors to match.

Someone mentioned the cable comparison. That's a good one. Started to become far too controlled so others popped up to fill the need of the American consumer.

But fundamentally over the time of trumps presidency I see it having little effect.

Apparently you didn't read my post, or else didn't understand it.

Apparently you didn't read my post, or else didn't understand it.

Didn't read it. Sorry. Just jumped to the end. 4 page threads that don't relate to woulds or hilarity I generally ignore

man this vote sucks, my internet is really slow today

Do you still think Verizon and Comcast are for Net Neutrality? :wave:

Still being the drama queen I see. Some things never change. Oh well, I tried.

I'd guess he was a spoiled brat growing up. Probably an only child.

I am for it.

Repealing it will allow internet providers to have the same tiers as cable companies. They could throttle your internet speed to YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, etc if you do not buy their "online streaming" package.

This is just one scenario.

Don't they already do this?

Pay $50/mo for unlimited data*

*First 4GB at 4G speeds, throttled after

I've heard of home internet providers throttling cord cutters who stream too much as well.

You realize that losing net neutrality means companies can nickel and dime you for everything online right? Like, sign up for yahoo and get google for 5$ a month, plus add on 6 web page views a day for only 10 cents more!

Its the most blatantly bad thing since the Nazis. You are the literal only person, literally...the only one...who isnt vehemently and violently opposed to losing net neutrality. I think theres some confusion.

Your faux hysteria tells me all I need to know. The opposite of whatever you think is what is best for red blooded Americans.

It means eventually certain parts of the web will have paywalls. There will be fast lanes for those who can afford to pay. You will be throttled speedwise for certain websites or streaming.

Pretty sure this already happens.

Have you ever visited a news website? Most of them have paywalls now.

Some companies already throttle after a certain amount of streaming.

this guy gets it. :thumbsup:

good, cable companies made other companies push for things like

Roku

Amazon Fire TV

Streaming Boxes

Smart TV's

Sling

Playstation Vue

Apple TV

and much more

all things that give us OTHER options than paying for Cable

I would much rather have all the options we have today, than being stuck in 2004 with Cable or Directv as only options

And they are now going to use this to throttle your speeds to connect to all those things unless you pay them extra.

I wonder... would a VPN get you around all that? Connect to the internet via another countries ISP, Canada say...

Your faux hysteria tells me all I need to know. The opposite of whatever you think is what is best for red blooded Americans.

How come a literal 100% of the internet thinks doing away with net neutrality is hitler and the GC is the very first and only people I have heard who think its a good thing?

A literal 100%. Not a single person has said we should get rid of net neutrality.. Not 1..not a single person. This is not a debate where both sides have pros and cons. This is simply one side wants something evil and terrible for everyone...the other wants that to not happen. What is wrong with people here?

Tell me the upsides of doing away with net neutrality.

How come a literal 100% of the internet thinks doing away with net neutrality is hitler and the GC is the very first and only people I have heard who think its a good thing?

A literal 100%. Not a single person has said we should get rid of net neutrality.. Not 1..not a single person. This is not a debate where both sides have pros and cons. This is simply one side wants something evil and terrible for everyone...the other wants that to not happen. What is wrong with people here?

No more pop up ads? Hell I dunno

And they are now going to use this to throttle your speeds to connect to all those things unless you pay them extra.

I wonder... would a VPN get you around all that? Connect to the internet via another countries ISP, Canada say...

FYI, they were already throttling service.

Please don't be confused about that.

FYI, they were already throttling service.

Please don't be confused about that.

They were throttling service based on total usage. Not WHERE you use it.

Now they will throttle things like Netflix, YouTube, pron, unless you pay for the streaming package.

Im telling you theyre nuts here. The fringe would be embarrassed by them

Now they will throttle things like Netflix, YouTube, pron, unless you pay for the streaming package.

And they got sued for it... But lets not insert facts into the discussion. Because Obummer.

Why didn't they do it before so called NN?

Um, yea, they actually were...

Several cases of it happening, try Google.

This isn't exactly breaking news..

https://boingboing.net/2017/12/12/break-the-net.html

Just found out that during the public comment phase of this, millions of stolen identities logged faked comments in favor of repealing net neutrality. Fantastic.

Why didn't they do it before so called NN?

As I posted a couple pages ago, from 2004 onward the FCC was running under the concept of net neutrality without it being official legislation. So there were attempts by ISPs to do these things, and the FCC stopped them upon investigation of each case. As it stands today, the FCC will allow service providers to do any of these things at will so long as they tell customers they are doing it.

Because they did.

Instead of going back and forth I'll just skip to the chase

It is already against the law to throttle services but they tried it anyway. They got sued and had to stop. If they where already willing to break the law you are honestly going to sit there and tell me THIS law will stop it?

Hint - it will not and even if it was there nothing will change. Even with the fancy named NN removed ISP are not allowed to throttle services.

It is already against the law to throttle services but they tried it anyway. They got sued and had to stop. If they where already willing to break the law you are honestly going to sit there and tell me THIS law will stop it?

Hint - it will not and even if it was there nothing will change. Even with the fancy named NN removed ISP are not allowed to throttle services.

Lets just get rid of the laws since the corporations dont follow them anyway!!

Holy sh1t, you people could not really be this dumb. Its all an act

• Like 1

So, your position is we should have no law and order, because people will break the law anyways? Ok...

Hint - that statement has no basis in fact. The FCC has made it clear that with net neutrality repealed, they will no longer oversee the behavior of broadband providers. That means if they throttle speeds or block services, the FCC will not be hearing grievances or making efforts to stop those actions. Literally the only thing preventing them from doing those things after today is their own individual promises not to.

• The FCC will review informal complaints concerning the compliance of Internet service providers (ISPs) with the disclosure obligations set forth in the new transparency rule. Those obligations include publicly providing information concerning an ISP’s practices with respect to blocking, throttling, paid prioritization, and congestion management. Should an ISP fail to make the required disclosures—either in whole or in part—the FCC will take enforcement action.
  • The FTC will investigate and take enforcement action as appropriate against ISPs concerning the accuracy of those disclosures, as well as other deceptive or unfair acts or practices involving their broadband services.
  • The FCC and the FTC will broadly share legal and technical expertise, including the secure sharing of informal complaints regarding the subject matter of the Restoring Internet Freedom Order. The two agencies also will collaborate on consumer and industry outreach and education.

As I posted a couple pages ago, from 2004 onward the FCC was running under the concept of net neutrality without it being official legislation. So there were attempts by ISPs to do these things, and the FCC stopped them upon investigation of each case. As it stands today, the FCC will allow service providers to do any of these things at will so long as they tell customers they are doing it.

Bull sh1t a government agency uses the law not a "concept". The stopped the ISP from "doing those things" using the law. Nothing has changed.

Mobb and worms are too stupid to understand what I'm saying so I'll try and make it clear.

There are already laws on the books to stop ISPs from throttling you. Adding more laws isn't going to change a focking thing.

Bull sh1t a government agency uses the law not a "concept". The stopped the ISP from "doing those things" using the law. Nothing has changed.

https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-243556A1.pdf

This is what they used to enforce net neutrality for 10 years prior to it being made into law. Feel free to keep making statements on a topic you clearly have no knowledge of though, it is board tradition after all. You also seem to have ignored Ajit Pai's own statements and the post I made above that clearly state that there will be no laws against "those things" and that the service providers will only be expected to disclose any throttling or blocking of services they perform.